• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle at the Border 2 - Edinburg, TX - 05/17/08

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
I'm expecting a lot players for Brawl and name inputting is gonna take way too long, plus there is gonna be a minimum of 5 stations and you would have to do it to all them. You may customize your controls at the time of your match but that is all sorry.
k, thanks.. all I really care about is that im able to use custom controls, the time of input doesnt matter to me :p im fast anyway

Question:
Does any one actually use the Wii remotes to play Brawl? I have been reading up on some stuff and it seems the wii remotes actually mess up sometimes due to the different Wiis interfearing with each other.

-DJ-
if anyone will use a wiimote chances are good it will have a classic controller attached to it

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm going to see about getting me, SOS and Jose to come down for this. I want to play some 2D fighters. Anyone doing housing the Friday before the tournament?

defsithe

Smash Ace
I'm going to see about getting me, SOS and Jose to come down for this. I want to play some 2D fighters. Anyone doing housing the Friday before the tournament?
u might wanna ask tsetse since he lives on that side of the valley.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Just a day over 3 weeks left. GET HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post up the team tourny rules later on in the weekend. It's pretty much the same just a stage or 2 change with the double characters teams allowed rule added.

EDIT: Seems we are getting quite a bit of Brawl players from other areas. As far as seeding goes I am for sure gonna have to do it by region, on another forum there are people coming down to play Brawl as well as the other games so there are more then what we just see here. I might have to do it by our cities as well. Are there any players down here who are really good and should be seeded apart from each other? I figure this might be hard seeing as this game is really new. Speak now or forever hold your peace. Cause come tournament time the city/area will take in effect. This is for my knowledge and so I no who to put where. I remember names from last year but I don't know if they have changed or not.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
Just a day over 3 weeks left. GET HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post up the team tourny rules later on in the weekend. It's pretty much the same just a stage or 2 change with the double characters teams allowed rule added.

EDIT: Seems we are getting quite a bit of Brawl players from other areas. As far as seeding goes I am for sure gonna have to do it by region, on another forum there are people coming down to play Brawl as well as the other games so there are more then what we just see here. I might have to do it by our cities as well. Are there any players down here who are really good and should be seeded apart from each other? I figure this might be hard seeing as this game is really new. Speak now or forever hold your peace. Cause come tournament time the city/area will take in effect. This is for my knowledge and so I no who to put where. I remember names from last year but I don't know if they have changed or not.

-DJ-
yes their are players down here that need to be seeded apart from each other which is y i asked about it like in the firdt post i posted. seeding by city wouldnt work since the majority of us that already play each other come from seperate cities. Valley Crew for example is spread throughout the valley (harlingen, raymondville, mission, san juan, edinburg, etc) and there is Brownsville. these people r the people who really need to be seperated, there is alot of strong players in these 2 groups. so yeah we need to seed by skill.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Any names?

If no one gives any names as to those who should be seeded prior to the date of the tournament then I will strictly use ONLY city seeding. No ifs ands or buts I am giving enough time for people to relay there opinions on who should be seeded skill wise. But yes city seeding will be used it would suck for an out of towner to show up just to fight there best friend that they drove here with on the first match.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
Any names?

If no one gives any names as to those who should be seeded prior to the date of the tournament then I will strictly use ONLY city seeding. No ifs ands or buts I am giving enough time for people to relay there opinions on who should be seeded skill wise. But yes city seeding will be used it would suck for an out of towner to show up just to fight there best friend that they drove here with on the first match.

-DJ-
these are the people that need to be seperated.
Kev$
Majora
Tseste
Broly
Vash
Pax ?
Fro
Mikey
Axel ?

probably in that order. ?s r people im not sure about if they r showing but either way deserve to be seeded.

also it suks going to another country(mexico lol) and play the person i went with first round.
:laugh:
anyways im just saying u should try region/crew to separate but not seed if that makes any sense. since there will be probably alot of random people it should be easy to make sure we dont have to play against each other till round 2 atleast. also most of these random poeople will be from either mcallen or edinburg

heck we will just all say were from harlingen lol.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I suppose I might get a faster response here, but for the 2d fighters, are we allowed to change button config, ie HP and HK to MP and MK for example?

And what about one button RC for GG?

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Defsithe: Thanks for the list I will note that down.

KingMosquito: I'm not sure if your the same person from SRK cause I got a PM from someone from SA but switching buttons to where HP is LP and LP is HP (just an example) is allowed. ONLY Guilty Gear will have any sort of mapping allowed, One button RC is ALLOWED.

-DJ-

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
I would like to request to be separated in the bracket from Pozerwolf. We're both from Austin but we've also had to play each other in the last 3 tournaments now, and we've placed pretty high generally. This my tournament record:

3/15/08 - 2nd/18 - San Antonio (Genesis Comics)
3/29/08 - 3rd/60 - Dallas (Play N'Trade)
4/05/08 - 3rd/40 - Houston (Play N'Trade)
4/12/08 - 9th/63 - Houston (Trashday)
4/19/08 - 5th/64 - San Antonio (Final Smash 3)
5/03/08 - 5th/81 - Houston (Planet Zero)

Pozer placed above me in 2 of the last 3 tournaments, and he won that Alice thing, so get him the hell away from me! :laugh: Same goes for Hylian should he show up, he lives in Pflugerville (just north of Austin) and he's as good as hell.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Don't worry Dr. Mario Kart along with the seeding of skill I was also going to seed by city so you and Pozerwolf would guaranteed be on the opposite sides of the bracket. No guarantee you won't play each other though in the tournament. Just for example If either one of you loses in the right spot and so does the other then you might have to play each other. But yes you both will be on opposite sides. This happens to 2 brothers down here who play tekken. We always seed them apart but some how they always end up playing each other.

UPDATE:
---->Tekken 5 DR PS3 converter problem has been solved.
---->MVC2 has been bumped to up to 6:30.
----> FOOOOOD. The food question has been answered. The owner of Cyber Comics will be selling Hot Dogs, Chips, Candy Bars, Honey Buns, and drinks. Price will not be know till day of tournament.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
I am making a call out for Nintendo Wiis /w Brawl. I need at least 2 more stations for Brawl because right now we only got 3. Also for those 2 station I will need 2 more tvs. Anybody who can help with this gets there registration fee waived. (Note: They will be used for Brawl only singles and Doubles, and to whoever is donating the stations to the tournament they must be willing to stay for both singles and doubles). Once both tournaments have concluded you may leave with your stuff.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
I am making a call out for Nintendo Wiis /w Brawl. I need at least 2 more stations for Brawl because right now we only got 3. Also for those 2 station I will need 2 more tvs. Anybody who can help with this gets there registration fee waived. (Note: They will be used for Brawl only singles and Doubles, and to whoever is donating the stations to the tournament they must be willing to stay for both singles and doubles). Once both tournaments have concluded you may leave with your stuff.

-DJ-
i can bring the 2 tvs for sure but i only have one wii. ill ask around to see if anyone is bringing anything else. also u might need more if we get a huge turn out like last smash tourny at cyber comics

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
I'm expecting a pretty big turn out for Brawl. But I can't hog all the tvs for Brawl hence why I'm calling out for station. 2 tvs is excellent, hopefully somebody else on here will speak up on a wii. I saw a few peeps speak out about it in the beginning of the thread.

Yeah I'm a little weary on whether or not 5 stations is enough. Hopefully 5 can handle the tournament.

Can anybody help out with running Brawl Singles? I got people so far to help for every game but Brawl.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
I'm expecting a pretty big turn out for Brawl. But I can't hog all the tvs for Brawl hence why I'm calling out for station. 2 tvs is excellent, hopefully somebody else on here will speak up on a wii. I saw a few peeps speak out about it in the beginning of the thread.

Yeah I'm a little weary on whether or not 5 stations is enough. Hopefully 5 can handle the tournament.

Can anybody help out with running Brawl Singles? I got people so far to help for every game but Brawl.

-DJ-
ill help u out, there too as long as i dont have to deal with money(since its not our tourny dont want to be responsible for anything like that if i dont have to) alot of us no how to run things so smash should run smoothly. ill also step up and just bring 3 tvs (one of them has funny color but it works). as for brackets will u just be drawing them out by hand or use a bracket making program like tio?

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
I will be printing them out and handing them to the bracket runners on clipboards. Like how last year worked. I'll make it very easy to understand and go over the bracket with the people before each of the games starts. I personally will be running Super Turbo, MvC2 Low tier, and deciding what to do for a 3rd probably GGAC.

I wanted to make really big posterboard print outs at a print shop but I don't have that kind of time left to put in a order. It is still possible because I have to head out to Kinkos to get the tags printed this week. While I'm there I'll ask if they do giant print outs and laminations.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
so IF doubles should happen and it should(please). it would be 5 person or what??

Gobz

Smash Apprentice
5 televisions will not be enough. I repeat 5 televisions will not be enough for the brawl tournament. As i can recall, we used 5 or 6 in the last melee final, with 40+ participants, with a start time at 1 pm, and an end time around 8. Now imagine about 50+ (if you promoted well) with 5 or 6 televisions, and brawls slower pace of play. You'll be in for a long day. Infact you'll be wrapping up your other tournies and brawl will still be going on. The tvs in the gaming area should be all be dedicated to brawl, in addition with the tvs mikey and others will bring. It should be the responsibility of the other fighter community to bring some televisions as well.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
so IF doubles should happen and it should(please). it would be 5 person or what??
Yes doubles should happen unless Brawl takes till next year or not enough teams join. Minimum of 7. What do you mean be 5 person? 5 person teams? 5 teams total?

5 televisions will not be enough. I repeat 5 televisions will not be enough for the brawl tournament. As i can recall, we used 5 or 6 in the last melee final, with 40+ participants, with a start time at 1 pm, and an end time around 8. Now imagine about 50+ (if you promoted well) with 5 or 6 televisions, and brawls slower pace of play. You'll b me in for a long day. Infact you'll be wrapping up your other tournies and brawl will still be going on. The tvs in the gaming area should be all be dedicated to brawl, in addition with the tvs mikey and others will bring. It should be the responsibility of the other fighter community to bring some televisions as well.
Unless i get a big boost in people bringing things. Then 6 stations will have to stand. I have way to many people coming in to play other games as well. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Corpus, and all these random places for all games and I can't hog all tvs for Brawl. Defsithe said he is my bracket runner so it will be up to me and him to be very strict on DQ's and stuff. I will have a megaphone so I'll be screaming names.

I NEED NINTENDO WIIs. Don't matter how many tvs we have if we don't have enough wiis. With Defsithe throwing his in the mix I only got 4.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
Yes doubles should happen unless Brawl takes till next year or not enough teams join. Minimum of 7. What do you mean be 5 person? 5 person teams? 5 teams total?

-DJ-
5 person is the norm so 10 for teams.

ill keep shouting out for wiis via myspace.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
thats awesome to hear chicken tenders. I'm working right now on getting another Wii just gotta find a copy of Brawl.

Just so you all know. I got the brackets printed out on 3ftx4ft paper and laminated so they will be stuck on the wall for all to see.

-DJ-

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531

Unless i get a big boost in people bringing things. Then 6 stations will have to stand. I have way to many people coming in to play other games as well. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Corpus, and all these random places for all games and I can't hog all tvs for Brawl. Defsithe said he is my bracket runner so it will be up to me and him to be very strict on DQ's and stuff. I will have a megaphone so I'll be screaming names.

I NEED NINTENDO WIIs. Don't matter how many tvs we have if we don't have enough wiis. With Defsithe throwing his in the mix I only got 4.

-DJ-
And that's why I'm having separate tournaments for others fighters... then Brawl on it's own, because smash really does take way longer.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
I'm 95% sure I'm coming to this. I'll be able to provide a Wii and a copy of brawl.

Also, I would like the "seeding by skill" applied to me.

Results:
Trash Day: 5th/63
U of H brawl bash: 2nd/43
Planet Zero: 3rd/81

I can provide proof if need be. Thanks in advance.

BTW I don't mean to be a stick in the mud but at the planet zero tournament, we had 11 tvs for 81 ppl. If I remember correctly, the tourney lasted from 2 pm to about 8-9. So yea.....

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
So yeah, just thought I'd ask but is there a wi-fi service where the tournament is going to be? If there is, I'm bringing my laptop with me...
Not that I know of.

I'm 95% sure I'm coming to this. I'll be able to provide a Wii and a copy of brawl.

Also, I would like the "seeding by skill" applied to me.

Results:
Trash Day: 5th/63
U of H brawl bash: 2nd/43
Planet Zero: 3rd/81

I can provide proof if need be. Thanks in advance.

BTW I don't mean to be a stick in the mud but at the planet zero tournament, we had 11 tvs for 81 ppl. If I remember correctly, the tourney lasted from 2 pm to about 8-9. So yea.....
Noted.

If I dropped the tournament to 5 min would everybody be ok with it. It is currently at 6.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
It will stand at 6.

Doubles Stages added. There are differences. HOPEFULLY there will be enough time for DOUBLES.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
I think we might of just capped out on Wiis. We have 3 over there plus the 3 your bringing that is 6 tvs. Cybercomics has 1 wii they are letting us use, mine and my co director that is 3. With yours that is 4 chicken tenders makes 5 and rey makes 6. There is a possibility of more tvs showing up last minute I know of a guy who is trying to help out.

Stiltskin: Bring your Wii incase we get another tv. There is a good chance a few last minute tvs will be available. If not then I can keep it in a secure area for you.

defsithe

Smash Ace
i suk at brawl

and got owned in melee hahahaha dang CF for keeping his identity a secret

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Results
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4501330#post4501330

Note to the Smash Players
As some of you know my copy of Brawl was stolen from the tournament, now while I am pissed that this happened this is not the point. Crap like this happens I know but the owner of Cybercomics caught wind of this as he was helping me in looking for my copy. I try very hard in putting together this tournament so that the gaming community as a whole has something to look forward to. Especially down here where we are from. It is not everyday that we get players from all over Texas to visit our area to play in a tournament. So when crap like this happens especially to the director of the tournament it gets around. This jeopardizes the community as a whole, nobody wants people who steal to be in there area and the owner of the building was nice enough to let us host this tournament there. Just FYI last Uploaded tournament there were 5 controllers stolen and he said himself that he is getting tired of this, luckily he is still willing to let future tournament happen. And the fact that it was my copy stolen that is like a slap in the face to me after all the work and money I put into this (nobody sponsors this all the money is straight from my pocket). I stopped at WalMart on the way home and bought myself a new copy. Now not to dog on the smash community but the last Uploaded tournament and yesterdays tourny the only things that were stolen were from the smash side. I do realize that it is just a few as.sholes but like the saying goes it only takes 1 person to mess things up for everybody. So for the future tournaments I am asking for the community especially those who have been in the scene for awhile to step up and take initiative in this. Call out people who look shady, call me or another helper or whoever is the director of any tournament, or kick some as.s yourself (I'll allow it:bee:) Don't let somebody else f.uck it up for all of you.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
Results
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4501330#post4501330

Note to the Smash Players
As some of you know my copy of Brawl was stolen from the tournament, now while I am pissed that this happened this is not the point. Crap like this happens I know but the owner of Cybercomics caught wind of this as he was helping me in looking for my copy. I try very hard in putting together this tournament so that the gaming community as a whole has something to look forward to. Especially down here where we are from. It is not everyday that we get players from all over Texas to visit our area to play in a tournament. So when crap like this happens especially to the director of the tournament it gets around. This jeopardizes the community as a whole, nobody wants people who steal to be in there area and the owner of the building was nice enough to let us host this tournament there. Just FYI last Uploaded tournament there were 5 controllers stolen and he said himself that he is getting tired of this, luckily he is still willing to let future tournament happen. And the fact that it was my copy stolen that is like a slap in the face to me after all the work and money I put into this (nobody sponsors this all the money is straight from my pocket). I stopped at WalMart on the way home and bought myself a new copy. Now not to dog on the smash community but the last Uploaded tournament and yesterdays tourny the only things that were stolen were from the smash side. I do realize that it is just a few as.sholes but like the saying goes it only takes 1 person to mess things up for everybody. So for the future tournaments I am asking for the community especially those who have been in the scene for awhile to step up and take initiative in this. Call out people who look shady, call me or another helper or whoever is the director of any tournament, or kick some as.s yourself (I'll allow it:bee:) Don't let somebody else f.uck it up for all of you.

-DJ-
i agree, we should be more vigilant about watching the people we dont no; heck even the people we do no. things like sensor bars, memory cards, and controllers r things that people leave around all the time making those the most common things to get taken. they should be left in a secure area or on ur persons at all time. like i keep my controllers in my backpack memory card in my pocket, the only time i put down my backpack is to play a match. i dont no y someone didnt say anything about the missing game when they had to put another disk in

i will be keeping a look out for the people i suspect might have had something to do with this at future tournys

Top Bottom