• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle at the Border 2 - Edinburg, TX - 05/17/08

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
************BATTLE AT THE BORDER 2************

The road to Battle at the Border 2 begins NOW!!! We are back for a second year in a row to provide you all with the Rio Grande Valley's biggest fighting game tournament. Last year we had a total attendance of over 70+ players for all games and this year we only hope to grow bigger.

Date: May 17, 2008
Where: Edinburg, TX
Cyber Comics (right next to and attached to Mission Tile)
4201 W. University Dr.
Edinburg, TX 78541
Phone# (956)316-BLAM(2526)
http://www.cybercomicsblam.com

Contacts:
DEMON_JIM – (956) 454-2457
hAMM - (956) 212-0058
(call me or hAMM if you need more info, get lost, stuff happens along the way, your going to be late, etc.)

Maps: (note when searching Cyber Comics will not come up on the address search instead it says Mission Tile, that is okay the two building are conjoined together)
Location on Mapquest (click on "Directions to" and type in the address from which you are coming)

Hotels/Motels
There are no hotels/motels within walking distance so if you come in your own vehicle these places are about 5-15 minutes away driving distance.
***If you need a ride from your hotel to the venue we will do our best to accommodate you in getting you a ride***
Link to nearby hotels/motels
This link shows you all the hotels/motels within the area. Most are within a 3 mile radius. There are multiple pages so feel free to search for some more popular chain hotels/motels.
I know there is a Motel 6, Best Western, Comfort Inn, and a Super 8 within the area as far as chain hotels/motels go. The closest place to the venue is University Inn Motel which is straight down the street.

Airport Information:
McAllen - Miller International Airport
2500 S Bicentenial Blvd # 100
Mcallen, TX 78503
(956) 682-9101
The airport is about 20 minutes away from the actual venue.

Food:
Food will be sold at the venue. Hot dogs, Candy Bars, Chips, Honey Buns, and Drinks will be sold. Remember no outside food please. You may eat it in the parking lot though.

This tournament is a B.Y.O.C - Bring your own controller, we will not be providing anyone with controllers for any system (ask someone to let them lend theirs to you if you do not have a controller for a certain console.

****Everyone attending is responsible for there own equipment and other belongings. Cyber Comics nor the directors are responsible for any belongings that are stolen or missing.****

**********THIS IS A DRUG AND ALCOHOL FREE AREA**********
**********DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STEAL ANYTHING FROM CYBER COMICS - THIS IS A COMIC BOOK SHOP AND THEY ARE BEING GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO LET US HOST OUR TOURNAMENT HERE**********

**********ANYONE FOUND WITH DRUGS/ALOCOHOL OR CAUGHT STEALING WILL BE EJECTED FROM THE TOURNAMENT AND ASKED TO LEAVE THE PREMISES IMMEDIATLEY WITH ABSOLUTELY NO REFUND. CYBER COMICS AND THE DIRECTORS HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL THE POLICE ON ANYONE WHO BREAKS THESE RULES**********

Tentative Game Listing:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
Street Fighter 3: Third St rike (PlayStation2)
Super Sma sh Broth ers: B r a w l (Nintendo Wii)
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core (U.S PlayStation2)
Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo (Dreamcast)
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PlayStation3)
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (Playstation 2)

Time:
Registration starts at 11:30 A.M. (registration is pretty much all day, the latest you can register for a tournament is 30 min before that tournament
starts) *****Please call ahead if you know you will be late and are for sure coming so we may put you in the tournament*****

Game Schedule:
11:30AM Registration begins
12:30PM - SSBB
1:15 - CVS2
2:00 - T5DR
3:00 - MVC2 Low Tier
4:00 - ST
5:00 - GGAC
6:00 - 3S
6:30 - MVC2
SSBB doubles begins during the semifinals of singles

All times are subject to change

Costs:
$7 registration fee - All players playing in tournaments must register, you will receive a tag to wear around your neck upon registration please don't lose it, anyone who plans on not playing in any tournament but still wants to play a lot of casual you will also need a tag. If you plan on showing up and not playing anything at all its cool you don't need to reg but other then that everyone must register)

$10 entry fee per official tournament
$5 entry fee per side tournament (TBA)

Payouts for All Official Games:
1st 70%
2nd 20%
3rd 10%

Specific Game Rules:

***Sup er Sm ash Br os: B r a w l***
All items are set to off, even smas h balls.
3 Stock
6 min tim e limit
No stage may be played twice in the same set
Ties will be judged on who has the most sto ck at the end of a match, if st ock are the same then the person with the least percentage will win, if both are the same then a sudden death 1 sto ck match will be played to determine the winner

Advanced Slob Picks: The first stage is chosen from the list of neutral stages at random or by an agreement of the players. In the second match the loser chooses the stage. The loser announces their stage choice (either from the list of random or counterpick stages) to the other player, who is then allowed to change his/her character. After the winner’s character is chosen, the loser may change their character. Then the match is played.

"More rules underneath stages"

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (B r a w l)
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counter Stages:
Delfino Plaza
Lui gi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Poke mon Stadium
Poke mon Stadium 2
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Hanenbow
Skyworld
Onett
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
Corneria

All stages not mentioned are BANNED.

***Capcom vs SNK 2***
Roll Cancelling is allowed.
No EX Grooves allowed.
You may not use the same character twice on one team.
Ultimate Rugal, Super Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Evil Iori are not allowed in tournament play.
Switching the order of your characters during the loading screen is only allowed on your first match.
After winning, you must pick the same characters, same order.

***Marvel vs Capcom 2***
You may not use any glitch that prevents the game from being played. This includes game freezing, game resetting, player freezing, etc.
Deadbody infinites are allowed to gain a positional advantage, but not to delay the game.
Button switching during the loading screen is allowed (e.g. Holding ASSIST 1 to switch your first assist with the point).
You may not use the same character twice on one team.
Winner keeps the same team, while the loser can switch teams.

***Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike***
Winning player must keep the same character, but can change super art's. The losing player can choose a new character.
Gill is banned in tournament play.
JUDGEMENT will NOT be used to determine the outcome of a match if it should so come up. That match will be played over again until a true
winner is determined.

***Super Street Fighter II Turbo***
Winner keeps the same character. The loser can choose a new character.
Akuma is not allowed in tournament play.

***Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection***
If the players do not agree on a stage within 15 seconds the match judge will enforce blind random stage select.
Jinpachi is banned from tournament play.

***Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core***
#Reloaded characters, Kliff and Justice are not allowed in tournament play.
Use of EX, Gold and Shadow characters are not allowed in tournament play.
Winner keeps the same character and the losers can change characters.

Tournament Rules:
All tournaments (excpet Brawl and CVS2) will be a set of 2of3. Winners/Losers finals will be 3of5, and grand finals will be 4of7 (loser bracket winner must win 2 sets).

Capcom vs SNK2 will be a set of 2of3 all matches including winners/loser finals. Grand finals will be 3of5 (loser bracket winner must win 2 sets)(if time becomes an issue the loser bracket will be best of 1)

Super Smash Bros: B r a w l will be a set of 2of3 all matches inluding Winners/Loser finals, the Grand Finals will be best 3of5 (loser bracket winner must win 2 sets)

If ANY singles tournament does not get at least 7 players that game will be canceled and players registered will get there money refunded for that tournament.

If a tournament ends up getting canceled the players may play a their own thing on the side. This will no longer be official but a side tournament. And they will be in charge of running it themselves.

All games will be played out in full no ties or splits in money.

Side Tournaments:
U]***Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Low Tier Tournament*** [/U]
Standard MVC2 tournament rules apply.
This tournament will follow a 4 point ration system. Meaning your characters total combine points cannot exceed 4.
3 point teams are allowed
There must be 3 different characters to a team, no same characters.

Banned Characters:
Cable
Sentinel
Magneto
Storm
Spiral
Ironman
Warmachine

Ratio 2 Characters (combinable with Ratio 1 only):
Cyclops
Psylocke
Captain Commando
Cammy
Blackheart
Dr. Doom
Strider
Megaman
Morrigan
Iceman
Omega Red
Rogue
T.Bonne
Juggernaut

Ratio 1 Characters:
All other characters

***Super Smash Bros: Brawl DOUBLES***

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (B r a w l)
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Staduim (Brawl)
Halberd

Counter Stages:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 2
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Skyworld
Onett
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
Corneria
Green Hill Zone

All stages not mentioned are BANNED.

''''''DUE TO TIME LIMITES ON THE VENUE (gotta be out at 11-11:30 will talk to owner if we need more tim e) I WILL BE VERY STRICT ON MATCHES. YOU HAVE 2 MINUTES TO GET TO YOUR STATION WHEN YOU ARE CALLED OR YOUR MATCH WILL BE FORFEITED. NO REFUNDS FOR THIS EITHER ITS YOUR FAULT. I will try and go around missing players but if your not there and your match is holding things up DQed it is. Please let me or whoever is helping me run tournaments know if you will be missing (bathroom, other matches your playing in, going to be outside, etc.)''''''

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post. I will update this thread with any updates or new that come along.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
I posted this in the regional area as well as here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160149 so that everyone in the southwest region has a chance to see it.

Discussion of doubles is still in effect. It more then likely will happen just got to talk it over with a few people first but it is not set in stone yet I will keep you all informed.

-DJ-

defsithe

Smash Ace
edinburg isnt a border city hahaha. kool u got a bigger venue than last time it was crowded at la quinta last time.

anyway

i would like to ask now that someone from the valley crew helps seed brackets(gobz or myself) for brawl since we no who is who, skill levels and what not. and how many setups will each game be getting? cyber comics has tvs i cant remember how many though. but i think they only have one wii.

im offering to bring my wii/brawl and 2 maybe 3 tvs(for smash only).

Broly

Smash Lord
hmm, no Melee? lolz, w/e im in gg ac. Brawl is dead now, get over it.

edit-lolz that uked me up.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
I thought I posted already.
SWF is still kinda slow.

Umm I can bring stuff. 2 setups maybe - TV's. 1 for sure.

And yes DOUBLES PLZ.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Ok this is going to sound really really weird but the game is Brawl not Melee.

When I edit the post it says I have put B rawl but when I save and view it, the post says Me lee.

IT IS NOT ME LEE THE TOURNAMENT IS B RAWL!!!

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on here? It is in the orginal edit when I go to edit it says the right name but saved it is wrong. For now Im gonna have spaces between the letters.

-DJ-

EDIT: WOW THIS FORUM IS SWITCH KEY WORDS. WHAT THE HELL IS SU PER HA LO BRO S

THE IS A B R A W L TOURNAMENT NOT M E LE E

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Ok found out what happend.

Smashboards pulled an April Fools Joke. WHICH IN MY OPINION IS MESSED UP AS A TOURNY ORGANIZER!!!!!

After today all the keywords that were changed will go back to normal sorry for the mixup this was not my fault. Again I apologize.

-DJ-

Gobz

Smash Apprentice
Sorry mikey, but i'll not participating in this. I'll be throwing a Smash Tourney in April, and ofcourse SMBU 3 in late July or early August.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I might go to this. Is housing availible?

defsithe

Smash Ace
hey demon-jim do u got a flyer so i can help u guys advertise?

Sorry mikey, but i'll not participating in this. I'll be throwing a Smash Tourney in April, and ofcourse SMBU 3 in late July or early August.
dang it gobz u have tio and probably no it better than than me. well all we really have to do is seperate a few people

I might go to this. Is housing availible?
and i live 40 minutes away from edinburg in harlingen i might be able to. though u should ask people in the mcallen area first.

Broly

Smash Lord
i posted this up on the other link, but ill put it here

hmm, rules are good. i just like to comment on the stages. random is good like that. counters shouldn't have hanenbrow, pokemon stadium 2, onett, skyworld and norfair. most of these either interfer to much w/ the fight or give some characters no chance to win. ex- skyworlds platforms can be broken which stops olimar's and zero-suits ability to come back as they use tether recoveries. and you could had mario circuit, but its your rules.

i can bring 1 tv w/ setup. ill get more ppl to bring some more.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
FINALLY I am able to get into these boards. Sorry for not replying to anything but smashboards was down and when it wasnt it was not letting me in, but here I am to reply to everything that was put.

edinburg isnt a border city hahaha. kool u got a bigger venue than last time it was crowded at la quinta last time.

anyway

i would like to ask now that someone from the valley crew helps seed brackets(gobz or myself) for brawl since we no who is who, skill levels and what not. and how many setups will each game be getting? cyber comics has tvs i cant remember how many though. but i think they only have one wii.

im offering to bring my wii/brawl and 2 maybe 3 tvs(for smash only).
A wii w/ brawl (at the moment we got 3) would help as for tvs not sure if we need any more. I want a minimum of 5 setups for Brawl which I think we got covered but I'll let here know.

I thought I posted already.
SWF is still kinda slow.

Umm I can bring stuff. 2 setups maybe - TV's. 1 for sure.

And yes DOUBLES PLZ.
Like above I will let you all know at later date once I have a full count on setups which I won't know till later on in the month.

hey demon-jim do u got a flyer so i can help u guys advertise?
Working on a flyer this weekend should have it done by monday I'll post the link on here once it is done. They so far will be posted everywhere ALL college compuses down here, gamestop harlingen agreed to post one up and pass them out, a b-ville gamer offered to post them up at Tilt (even though they took them down last year he went back and put another one right back up) not sure if VVG would put one up.

i can bring 1 tv w/ setup. ill get more ppl to bring some more.
I'll let you all know on the tv situation at a later date. The only thing I would need are Wiis w/Brawl

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
does anyone know where the valley smash players go to online now since rgvsmash went down?

I want to make sure that everyone knows about it. I know Brawl for sure is bringing in new players seeing as people who I have never met before are asking me about my tournament. But the veteran players down here I have no way to get ahold of them to let them know other then these boards.

-DJ-

Broly

Smash Lord
does anyone know where the valley smash players go to online now since rgvsmash went down?

I want to make sure that everyone knows about it. I know Brawl for sure is bringing in new players seeing as people who I have never met before are asking me about my tournament. But the veteran players down here I have no way to get ahold of them to let them know other then these boards.

-DJ-
ill take care of it DJ, alot of ppl from b-ville are already planning to go, but ill check on them regularly.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
tsk...dont 4get our 10 MM. u remember right?
Let's make it 20.

Also, WTF? How did Brawl die?
The scene for Brawl is stupid big right now. I'm making quiet a bit of money from the random tournies around Austin. Too bad they don't take the game too seriously... looks like only a matter of time till the tournaments stop :dizzy:

Broly

Smash Lord
Let's make it 20.

Also, WTF? How did Brawl die?
The scene for Brawl is stupid big right now. I'm making quiet a bit of money from the random tournies around Austin. Too bad they don't take the game too seriously... looks like only a matter of time till the tournaments stop :dizzy:
kk, 20 it is. n where u hear its dying?

defsithe

Smash Ace

-DJ-
we have a myspace that we use to post bulletins...i miss the valley crew forums

http://www.myspace.com/smashvalley

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Who do you use anyways Broly? I didn't get to play you at Mikey's.

You should add me online. From the vallley I think I only have Kev and Marcos right now.

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Flyer finished if anyone wants it give me an email address to send it to you.

Doubles rules will be finalized over the weekend so expect an update between now and Mon morning.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Hope this post is okay since it's 3 days later then the last one.

I have been getting lots of questions about the time schedule from a lot of people coming from out of town and from people to simply plan there trip according to the times of there games. So this way you all know the game time line up has officially been posted. Any questions please feel free to ask.

-DJ-

DEMON_JIM

Smash Cadet
Sorry for replying late. These forums are really difficult for me to gain access to. Either the page is down or it is so slow it keeps timing itself out.

I'm expecting a lot players for Brawl and name inputting is gonna take way too long, plus there is gonna be a minimum of 5 stations and you would have to do it to all them. You may customize your controls at the time of your match but that is all sorry.

Question:
Does any one actually use the Wii remotes to play Brawl? I have been reading up on some stuff and it seems the wii remotes actually mess up sometimes due to the different Wiis interfearing with each other.

-DJ-

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol man defsithe, you know those matches were close as heck. i really wanna fight you again in melee. brawl would be cool too

defsithe

Smash Ace
lol man defsithe, you know those matches were close as heck. i really wanna fight you again in melee. brawl would be cool too
lol yeah close matches they were awesome.
hopefully u can come to the next smbu play some melee/brawl. next time u got to come eat with the the valley crew afterwards

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol yeah close matches they were awesome.
hopefully u can come to the next smbu play some melee/brawl. next time u got to come eat with the the valley crew afterwards
definately man. i'm always hungry lol. well the only time i could come would be in the summer. is anything goin on in the summer?

Top Bottom