• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BASHCon XXVI Gaming Convention - University of Toledo (Power Outage is over! :D)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
UT BASH and BASHLAN present:

SOMETHING YOU SHOULD KNOW:

BASHCon is an annual gaming convention run by students in the University of Toledo's gaming club, UT BASH. At this convention, you will find over 900 gaming fans gathered together for a weekend packed with video games, miniatures, pen and paper role-playing, and more. BASHCon XXVI is taking place from February 18th through 20th at the University of Toledo, in the Student Union Building.

If you are looking to participate in the Brawl and Melee Singles Tournaments, the prices for entry into BASHCon XXVI (Not counting the price for tournament events) are as follows:

University of Toledo Student Admission: FREE with valid student ID
One-day General Admission: $10
Weekend General Admission: $15
Weekend Anniversary Special: $25*
-Includes: Weekend admission
-Free entry to all $1 events, $1 off other events like the Brawl/Melee/Halo: Reach/CODBO tourneys
-Commemorative Die
Game Demonstrations/Open play: FREE
Tournaments/Special Events: Prices Vary

More BASHCon XXVI info and Hotel Information: http://www.bashcon.com/

Online Pre-registration for BASHCon XXVI: http://bashcon.com/registration/

(This will help you avoid long lines while registering for BASHCon XXV and will give you more time for friendlies before the tournament.)

Tournament Organizers

UT BASH

BASHLAN

BASHCon XXVI Location:
University of Toledo
2801 West Bancroft
Toledo, OH 43606
Student Union Building

BASHCon XXVI Hours:

Friday, February 19th: 5:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.

Saturday, February 20th: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.

Sunday, February 21st: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Parking and Directions:

The Student Union is the first building right behind the clock tower. You can't miss it once you're on campus.
Parking on campus is legal for anyone at and after 5:00 on Friday until sometime on Sunday.

Date and Time of Events:

Melee (Double Elimination)

Friday, February 18th

5:00 p.m. - BASHCon XXVI and Free Play begin

6:00 p.m. - Melee tournament begins

??? p.m. - Melee Doubles if we have time

10:00 p.m. - Tournament ends(?) (Could go on if I run dubs.)

12:00 a.m. - Venue closes

Brawl (Double Elimination)

Saturday, February 19th

9:00 a.m. - Venue opens

10:00 a.m. - Registration and Free Play/Tournament starts a little after this.

??? p.m. - Possible Brawl Doubles tournament

4:00 p.m. - Brawl ends(?) (Could go on if I can run dubs.)

Afterward till' close - School of Smash Special/Free Play in the South Lounge if there is interest. I will find a place to set up my TV's and play/mm anyone who is interested.

NOTE: You will register for these events when you buy your pass/register for BASHCon XXV.

Tournament Prices and Venue Fees

Venue Fees:

The entry fees into BASHCon can be confusing...so this is my advice for you guys:

If you are coming for one day/one tourney: Get the $10 one-day pass for entry into BASHCon.

If you are coming for both Brawl and Melee: Get the $15 weekend pass for entry into BASHCon.

If you are a UT Student, do not worry about venue fees. :)

After the entry fees:

Melee Singles Entry Fee: $10 ($9 goes to prize pot.)

Brawl Singles Entry Fee: $10 ($9 goes to prize pot.)

-Yeah...the venue fees aren't what you're used to, but it's a con for gamers of all varieties after all.

Registration for everything can be done here: http://bashcon.com/registration/?q=node/3

Cash prizes for Melee and Brawl vary depending on how many people show up:
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

Bringing setups to the event (Wii/Cube/Brawl/Melee/Television/Recording Equipment...or 1 of the 6) is encouraged and will give us more opportunity for friendlies after the tournament. =) However, BASHCon XXVI CANNOT waive the venue fee for bringing a setup.

Melee Singles Rules:
-Double Elimination
-Best 2 out of 3
-4 stock, 8 minutes
-In case of time out, sudden death determines winner
-First match is agreed upon by the competitors and may only choose a neutral stage.

Neutral Stages:
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium
-Battlefield
-Dream Land (N64)
-Final Destination

The loser of the first match (and of successive matches) chooses the next stage, and then the winner chooses his character, and then the loser chooses his character. The loser may pick any stage but the banned stages (neutral stages included).

Banned Stages

-Brinstar Depths
-Flat Zone
-Great Bay
-Icicle Mountain
-Hyrule Temple
-Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
-Yoshi's Island (N64)
-Venom
-Fourside
-Mushroom Kingdom I
-Big Blue
-Mushroom Kingdom II

Brawl Singles Rules:
-Double Elimination random pools tournament
-Best of 3 except for Losers' Finals, Winners' Finals. The Finals are best of 5 (may change)
-Bringing a controller to the tournament is strongly encouraged.
-Any controllers not made by Nintendo will need to be inspected by the TO's.
-If the Tournament Organizers call a player's name and they are not present within 30 seconds of the call; the player is disqualified.
-Bad sportsmanship will cause a player to be disqualified

Game Rules:
-3 stock
-8 minute time limit
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be decided via Rock-Paper-Scissors.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then percentage.
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape Glitch is banned.
-If a game ends by methods such as Bowser's suicide claw, Kirby/Dedede's inhale, Ganondorf's sideB/etc, sudden death will be ignored and the game will count as a win for the player who initiated the move.
-You are responsible for your own controller, television, Wii, game, recording equipment, etc. and name tags. Any errors or malfunctions that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure that you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
-Stalling is banned (Planking excessively, etc.)

Stages:
-First stage is agreed upon by the two competitors through stage striking or otherwise and they must choose a neutral stage (see below)
-Second and Third stages are chosen by the player that lost the round before. They choose from neutral and counterpick stages.

Stage List:

Neutral

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counterpick
Brinstar
Delfino (moved from S/C)
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Banned
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Norfair
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

AllisBrawl Tournament Link coming soon

-I will update this thread if needed.

Biggest tournament in Toledo as always. Get hype. :)

Last edited:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
School of Smash will be providing recording equipment and a couple setups for this.

Quaa may be up for housing people because Melee/Brawl usually take place on separate days. I'll have to ask him. (as long as someone in your group plays Melee. lolol)

We'd love to see some people from OoS or out-of-city make it out here. Props to Michigan State University stepping it up last year and dominating Melee. (Won't happen this year though. :) )

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
lol Clow you know we'll team again soon. I see you like 3 times in a 4 month time span lol

And no biggie if dubs doesn't happen. I'd just like support a NWOH tourney.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I'm gonna get the rules to include 1 stage ban like normal tournaments. Someone brought up not having a ban at BASHDay and MK would be broken in Winners' and Grand Finals if he had access to Brinstar AND RC. (Now that Toledo has a couple good MK's, it's a good time to bring it up.) lol

jkbbabione

Smash Apprentice
I can bring a Wii + brawl, and melee if needed. Of course, I can't confirm til we find out what day brawl is on.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Atm, we don't have dubs. We probably have Starcraft and Halo tournaments to worry about as well. :C I'll run it by that people are interested though.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I should be able to go. I can provide TV and Set-up if needed.

I would like doubles please. I maybe able to bring another C-Bus player.

If he can't go. Does anyone know how to use Pikachu or DK?

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I should be able to go. I can provide TV and Set-up if needed.

I would like doubles please. I maybe able to bring another C-Bus player.

If he can't go. Does anyone know how to use Pikachu or DK?
Well, that's an overwhelming number of people. :O I will definitely talk to some officers about including a doubles tournament for Melee and Brawl. Or I could possibly run my own dubs tournaments as a separate event.

I do know some guys who play DK/Pika:

Dr. D actually mains both DK and Pikachu in Melee. He also plays Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, and some Jigglypuff.

DanS1 plays Pikachu and Olimar in Brawl.

If we do dubs, I'm teaming with Ebert in Melee (Team Applesauce >>> Team Cigarettes) and Tech_Chase in Brawl. :D

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Ah I forgot about the $10 for non UT students. Ouch :\

I'm sure I'll come anyway though.

Dojomaster2

Smash Cadet
Im there for sure just like last year Louis. Do you have any idea if those guys from state plan on coming again? Their whole crew that they showed up with was pretty legit

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I will be advertising this in the MI thread when it gets closer to February. Hopefully they'll come. :D

SoulPech

Smash Master
some questions:

1) What days are Brawl/Melee? (64 please? *eye flutter*) will there be SSFIV?
2) Will there be housing opportunities?

Also,

I'll confirm this later, but if I get this new job, I can provide a carpool up to the toledo area (surrounding area of Toledo and Columbus....Springfield is the farthest I would go). If it's successful, I can book a hotel room but the people staying would have to help pay.

As I said, this part is still unsure.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Quaa might be up for housing people, you'll get bonus points for that if you have people who play Melee. lol I'll ask him soon if you want.

They haven't announced the time of all the events yet. The guys who make the website are being lazy. >: ( We usually run a Halo and Starcraft tournament along with Brawl, but we'll see.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Will there side events such as halo?
Yeah, we usually run Halo. We didn't do teams though last year due to a fight at BASHCon XXIV 2 years ago.

I'm really hoping we do teams this year because 2009's Halo 4v4 tourney was soooooo much better than the free for all tourney in 2010.

(I was just watching both years. I hope to play this year now that I have Reach!)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Alright. I'm pestering Q tomorrow and asking when these things are going to happen. lol I'm sure some of you need to call off work.

Also, I'm going to ask if I can run the doubles tournaments for $10 a team. However, I will probably not be able to play in the dubs tournaments, I will be playing in Singles though. Hosts can't play in the tournaments they run according to Bash policy. I have a ton of fun running tournaments like Super Duper Fun Time anyway. =)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Alright, Melee is going to happen on Friday night!

Brawl is probably going to happen on Saturday morning!

I've only been told the dates and not the times, but I'm pretty sure its going to be the same schedule as last year.

I'm really going to work on getting some doubles tournaments set up.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Good news and Bad news:

The bad:

-Venue fees are going to be a little expensive since this isn't just a Smash tournament. It's a convention. The venue fee is going to be $10 if you're doing one tournament and it will be $15 if you're going to be coming over 2 days. I'm talking about the entry fees into the con, which aren't really venue fees for the tournament. Unfortunately, unlike last year, the special weekend pass of $25 doesn't look like it will get you free entry into the Brawl/Melee tournaments. Just a $1 off, which isn't worth it unless you are going to participate in other things other than the tournaments. I will ask Q and confirm this.

The good:

-The pot will be bigger for Brawl/Melee/COD/HR since the entry fee into the tourneys will be higher. So if the turnout for Brawl/Melee is the same this year with about 30 people, expect a $130ish first place prize, $65ish 2nd place prize, and $20ish 3rd prize. Though the increased price may deter some people away, though we usually try to encourage people to enter before the tourney starts.

-Halo Reach and COD:BO are going to be team 2v2 instead of free-for-all this year. :D

-Q said I can register dubs events for Brawl and Melee but he doesn't know if he can fit them into the schedule. We will try.

-I have submitted requests for the dubs tournaments. I am not entering these, but I will run them. They will be $10 a team if they are approved. I will let you all know ASAP. :)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I would encourage anyone who can go to Pound to go. :) We would love to see people come out if they can't make the trip though. :D

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm in. Looking forward to my 3rd BashCon. Last year was so much fun. I was one smash attack away from making the Elite 8 lol. Great matches overall in terms of playing and spectating.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
No dubs guys. :(

But I will play some friendlies with anyone who wants to in the South Lounge with my setup. (If we get kicked out after the tournament.)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Me too. 4 am is my normal bedtime on the weekends. I'll probably be in Zombie mode at this tourney. lol

zachisasian

Smash Rookie
i noticed that they'll be hosting a black ops tournie. do you know what they're planning on doing for that by any chance, louis?

zachisasian

Smash Rookie
well i was more concerned if it was going to be lan or something of the sort because it never specified, it just mentioned hosts, which would eliminate the possibility of it being split screen.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
What we did for Halo 2 years ago was have 1 TV per team. (4 players on 1 TV.) So my guess is that there will be two players to a TV. I can ask our president/coordinator for specifics if you'd like.

Top Bottom