• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning Bayonetta in Tournaments

Should Bayonetta be banned?

• Yes, she is game breaking

Votes: 157 19.6%
  • No, players need to adapt to her mechanics

Votes: 398 49.6%
  • Not sure yet, meta progress or patches could resolve the issue.

Votes: 248 30.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 269706

Well Bayo mains, it's been a pleasure arguing with you for the past 3 months. I'm sure that even if she goes to DeDeDe tier (man I wish haha), I'll find it in my heart to still hate her :p In other words, no matter what happens this isn't the end of our meaningless banter!

God be with us all this patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Well Bayo mains, it's been a pleasure arguing with you for the past 3 months. I'm sure that even if she goes to DeDeDe tier I'll find it in my heart to still hate her :p in other words, this isn't the end of our meaningless banter!

What if she gets left unchanged? Ayylmao

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I honestly wonder what metrics Nintendo uses to decide on these balance patches. For Glory stats are a very small piece of the puzzle. Does Nintendo track tournament results?

Bayonetta: removed from the game
Can't wait.

blackghost

Smash Champion
as long as she is on the character selection screen people will B***.
I really doubt nintendo will destroy her as a character. no good character has recieved a death from nerfs (despite shiek and iddy payers acting like it). will they adjust her probably. will they kill her? doubt it. they want her to ave combos thats not going away. i think more people would like to see buffs to other characters than just kill bayo single. (well most players at least)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This is dangerously deviating into spam (WI will still hate her"? "no matter what happens this isn't the end"? Really?)
I guess jokes are fine as long as they're not too aggressive/inappropriate.
:196:

Streethawk57

Smash Rookie
Well Bayo mains, it's been a pleasure arguing with you for the past 3 months. I'm sure that even if she goes to DeDeDe tier (man I wish haha), I'll find it in my heart to still hate her :p In other words, no matter what happens this isn't the end of our meaningless banter!

Why would you still hate her?

D

Deleted member 269706

Why would you still hate her?
In all honesty I hate a lot of characters for no justifiable reason. I'm one of those people who hate seeing people "play lame" and I admittedly think there are A LOT of ways to play lame (and I find Bayo really lame by design). It's a personal demon I have yet to come to terms with. When it comes down to it, I understand the fault in my logic as well as the fault in my definition of "lame", but refuse to change it. Though I don't try to push my ways of thinking on others and will never [in a serious matter anyways] think that my ways of thinking are above that of others. With all that said, the majority of my posts in this thread have been (what I see as) legitimate arguments against the character. Obviously Im not perfect and my points are biased but they were expressed with the best intention.

Also blackghost is wrong in his opinion. I would have preferred another character ofc but I don't hold that of all things against Bayonetta

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
In all honesty I hate a lot of characters for no justifiable reason. I'm one of those people who hate seeing people "play lame" and I admittedly think there are A LOT of ways to play lame (and I find Bayo really lame by design). It's a personal demon I have yet to come to terms with. When it comes down to it, I understand the fault in my logic as well as the fault in my definition of "lame", but refuse to change it. Though I don't try to push my ways of thinking on others and will never [in a serious matter anyways] think that my ways of thinking are above that of others. With all that said, the majority of my posts in this thread have been (what I see as) legitimate arguments against the character. Obviously Im not perfect and my points are biased but they were expressed with the best intention.

Also blackghost is wrong in his opinion. I would have preferred another character ofc but I don't hold that of all things against Bayonetta
Cool. Only thing I can say is you don't have to love lame play, just try to appreciate the skill behind it whether it's super patient play, bayo doing bayo things, or w/e

D

Deleted member 269706

Cool. Only thing I can say is you don't have to love lame play, just try to appreciate the skill behind it whether it's super patient play, bayo doing bayo things, or w/e
And I do respect it to some degree. I just have a hard time appreciating it. And for that reason I will always be a little more critical of the characters that benefit most from what I see as lame play. Though as we all know, a good player is a good player; whether he's lame or hype, that much is undeniable.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I never have been for banning :4bayonetta: myself, but that's for two reasons. I only have hysteria to go off of and I don't know much about the matchup myself. And well... I still stand by :rosalina:being the best in Smash. I think the smash scene is seeing some serious Salem witch trial stuff right now. Only difference being... Bayonetta really is a witch. But besides the metaphor, not that many people seem to show any ill will to characters like 1.1.4 :4sheik: though I always thought she was always a much bigger problem. :4bayonetta2: is ridiculous to an extent, but I still have trouble fighting :4zelda: so what do I know? :p And players like ESAM have long since developed counterplay versus her anyway so it really does just show a lack of competence from other Smashers. It's always easier to slam the banhammer than prove why something shouldn't be banned. And all of this hysteria only is showing the truth to that. Look at Spain, they're banning Bayonetta. Point is pretty clear there, huh?
TL;DR: If:rosalina: or :4sheik:haven't been banned before, I see it as hypocritical to ban :4bayonetta:. And I changed my vote to being that players just need to adapt.

blackghost

Smash Champion
AAA Battery AAA Battery Theres been known bayo cunterplay since like week 2. esam said he has known her counterplay since playing a set against her like the week she came out. this community just hasn't put in work or doesnt believe people that have. bayo players have been saying how to beat her for AGES. the only thing that hasnt been really clearly dealt with id challenging her recovery or punishing when she misses her abk to the ledge. Adaptation isnt part of this community which is why the fgc doesnt respect us very much

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
So apparently patch 1.16 parameters were leaked and it only looks like only Bayonetta has been changed.

Let the nerfs role in...

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
if this is all people are gonna be upset lol and changing the angle of dabk is going to lead to new stuff i bet. but witch twist wasn't touchd let the salt commence.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
They reduced the damage on a lot of moves, which, as you know, affects knockback. It will be interesting to see what this will do to her combo game.

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
They make bayo neutral worse with nerfing d-tilt, horizontal combos got worse with fair and dive kick nerfed, big characters would have a better time, against her up is untouched so she still had good way to make punishes, so basically she now can't spam side b, fishing for "jank" kills or damage she probably would still 0-death you of the top,but horizontal not so much, she would still be top 5 or 10 at worst.

blackghost

Smash Champion
They reduced the damage on a lot of moves, which, as you know, affects knockback. It will be interesting to see what this will do to her combo game.
in theory this could actually be a buff. especially a weakened fair. but the other thing is dtilt is super short now. it already sucked now bayo (7ft tall) has no reach with her legs. lol what.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
in theory this could actually be a buff. especially a weakened fair. but the other thing is dtilt is super short now. it already sucked now bayo (7ft tall) has no reach with her legs. lol what.
Oddly enough, she's shorter than Luka in her games. So unless she just has awful posture or Luka is freakishly tall, she's average height with weird proportions.

Leaked nerfs are interesting and nothing outrageous that would make her unplayable. I can't complain.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Out of all the things to use to argue that this thread ought to be closed, that quote was one of the worst ones. The fact that she's top 10 at worst still leaves it open for her to be top 1, depending on how her players develop her.

Really, until there are no scenes that ban her, there's absolutely no reason to actually lock the thread; and even then I'd leave it open in case conversation starts back up again.

[as for me, I've changed my vote on the poll to "Not sure yet" in consideration of how Bayonetta players salvage their character post-patch]

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Out of all the things to use to argue that this thread ought to be closed, that quote was one of the worst ones. The fact that she's top 10 at worst still leaves it open for her to be top 1, depending on how her players develop her.

Really, until there are no scenes that ban her, there's absolutely no reason to actually lock the thread; and even then I'd leave it open in case conversation starts back up again.

[as for me, I've changed my vote on the poll to "Not sure yet" in consideration of how Bayonetta players salvage their character post-patch]
0-death combos were the bulk of the argument and now they're patched out.

No reason for the thread to be open anymore.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Top 10 at worst? She doesn't have 0 to death combos, she doesn't have combos, she doesn't have combos off throws, she still have a lackluster framedata, one of her main approach option was destroyed.
How is she still top 10????
She is probably not even high tier now.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Top 10 at worst? She doesn't have 0 to death combos, she doesn't have combos, she doesn't have combos off throws, she still have a lackluster framedata, one of her main approach option was destroyed.
How is she still top 10????
She is probably not even high tier now.
She still has combos I'm sure. Don't think the patch gutted her that extremely

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
She still can do combos, they just don't carry you to the blastzone in hitstun anymore. And good damn riddance.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
She still can do combos, they just don't carry you to the blastzone in hitstun anymore. And good damn riddance.
No, she can't. She can get a 10 to 15% combo, but anymore is extremely hard because the SDI nerf makes the direction of your target extremely hard to predict and your target can easily punish to landing lag afterwards.
Her Dtilt received increased endlag so, dtilt to fair might be gone too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom