• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banned Tourney Moves?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I was just curious as to whether there were moves banned from tournaments.

For example, Bowser's forward-B suicide body slam thing. I killed a Snake player with 4 stocks having done a total of 12% damage by body-slamming him off the edge repeatedly, and was considered the winner because he landed first, and therefore lost.

Just curious, because it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
No moves are banned.

Certain tactics may be banned. Those include things such as wobbling was. Puff punch infinite stall was banned. Bowser's forward-b will NEVER be banned, as the person grabbed has far more control over it than Bowser does.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
So he was the one jumping his own *** off the edge?

'Cus I don't main Bowser, I just assumed I was power-driving him into oblivion over and over. It's actually a lot funnier now, since I got $10 for beating him with a toon of his choosing.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I would hope tourneys are smart enough to recognize that win or draw on the last stocks using that move is solely dependent on player position (ie, which number you are) and call it a tie even if the game claims otherwise.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
some moves are banned, the moves that you cant get out of like falco's laser lock, are banned from tournaments but side b with bowser.. no reason for that to be banned.. its a move. just like ddd,kirby's "suck up and die" :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I would hope tourneys are smart enough to recognize that win or draw on the last stocks using that move is solely dependent on player position (ie, which number you are) and call it a tie even if the game claims otherwise.
No, totally wrong.

1. What number player you are has nothing at all in the slightest to do with this move. It doesn't even affect spawning positions, since they're now randomized.

2. It's totally fair. To quote the dojo:
He’s diving off the edge with his opponent! That’s not nice! But please don’t worry. The opponent will be able to affect side-to-side movement just like Bowser. The opponent can fight back. The effectiveness of this resistance depends on the damage gauge. The less damage the opponent has, the stronger he or she will be able to resist. Likewise, Bowser will find it harder to control his enemy if he has taken a lot of damage.
3. Suicides were a legitimate technique in Melee and it's no different here. Any deaths with this on last stocks should not be considered ties at all.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
No, totally wrong.

1. What number player you are has nothing at all in the slightest to do with this move. It doesn't even affect spawning positions, since they're now randomized.
Actually if you're player port 1 and you koopacide you will always win, if you'r being koopacided then you'll always draw, it's based on which port you're in, just try it.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure stuff like that doesn't matter online, but offline Controller slot DOES matter for Bowsercide.

Although I have gone to Sudden Death online, meaning I could have been in controller slot 2, more testing needed.

However I'm 100% sure about this. Player 1 >Bs player 2, Player 1 wins.

Player 2 >Bs Player 1, Sudden Death.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If you can't avoid something as Snake vs. a Bowser, something so obvious as the same move done over and over again, you deserve to lose.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
no no this is ridiculous. No move should ever be banned. Thats just dumb. I can see why items and stuff would be, but honestly. Banning a move??? That better not happen.

J4pu

Smash Champion
thanks for the port info, i was wondering why one day i won with that move every time and then the next day i went to sudden death, and then used it again in sudden death and lost every time (was just messing around with a friend, i would never use bowsercide in a real sudden death...)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Actually if you're player port 1 and you koopacide you will always win, if you'r being koopacided then you'll always draw, it's based on which port you're in, just try it.
Huh, never knew that. Weird.

Top Bottom