• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I never looked too much into the stage builder witch. I just thought it was funny that my immediate reaction to it was Grunty and I wanted to share it.

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
Yea, I have no hope for Banjo or anything good anymore after that terrible Joker reveal. Sorry, but Joker is such a dumb character, shows what's wrong with Sakurai and Smash - another generic anime guy with a counter + reflect+a comeback mechanic on top of rage+generic ultimate that half this cast has(multiple hits leading to a final hit.

It's sad that we get a nobody from a PS franchise. I'd have preferred Crash or Spyro over this garbage. Don't be surprised if we get Erdrick that ALSO has a counter+reflect. Steve is looking more possible now than ever.

Joker....what a god awful choice. This game needs to get a director that doesn't have a bias.
I understand your opinion but labeling joker as a generic anime guy is not very fair. There is a lot more to his character and the game that he came from. I am a proud supporter of joker and banjo, but I don't understand why people dislike joker just because he comes from a game with an "anime" style. I wasn't sold on P5 at all when Joker was first revealed and then I played P5 and it's a good game (in my opinion) and I'm really glad Sakurai is including interesting characters like this. Joker also doesn't really look like anyone else in Smash aside from the Bayonetta hair so I don't see how he is "generic" as his design definitely stands out from the others. Persona 5 is also a pretty big deal as it was nominated for game of the year, but it lost to Breath of the Wild at the game awards in 2017. His moveset and the game he comes from shows that he is unique. Lumping him in with all of the other anime looking characters is just like saying duck hunt and banjo kazooie are the same thing because they are both an animal duo. It just bugs me that people generalize joker as being a lame lifeless character when his origins are extremely unique. It really reminds me of how people write off Banjo for being lame without playing his games as well.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I swear to christ if we start yelling about “anime swordsmen” and “””Sakurai Bias””” I’m yeeting right on out. Don’t need my headache to get worse lmao

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
My theory is that Banjo-Kazooie will be revealed along with a Rare Replay port at E3ish time period. The Jet Force Gemini & Blast Corps spirits make way too much sense to me and the all the other stuff floating around Banjo right now. Plus I might be reaching but do ya'll remember ppl thinking Joker wasn't suppose to be the 1st DLC character or something? Maybe B-K was to suppose to be first and that's the spirits and "BRAVE" are in there? And Dec 7 or 8th would be Japan's 20th anniversary of Banjo Kazooie. Idk the last one is a for real stretch but eh lol

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
TFW This means we will have to wait until E3 to find out the second Fighter Pass character:
I certainly hope that's not the case and we get a Nintendo Direct announced either this week or the next to hopefully reveal the next Fighter Pass character. Otherwise, that's gonna be a torturous wait just for the second Fighter lol

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I 100% agree with you and this isn't an endorsement of the poster you replied to, but as someone who doesn't watch anime and doesn't really like the animation style in general, anime bias is painfully noticeable.

It doesn't take away from Smash and certainly doesn't take away from Joker being a fantastic choice, but it's.... fatiguing, if that's not your thing and you been asking for a bear/bird duo and wooden puppet for 15 years to keep getting reveald of generic swordsmen # 16 and anime character #11.

For example, a fighter pass with Joker, Erdrick, Monster Hunter, and Lloyd would mean we would get 4 JRPG protagonists with swords/blades. They'll all amazing characters with rich franchise histories that deserve fighter representation, but it would be an obvious trend to say the least and it is alienating.

I'm not against these characters in the slightest, but it's a tiresome trend if JRPGs and anime aren't your thing.
I do agree that the game representation should be diverse but the mentality of "generic swordsmen # 16 and anime character #11" needs to die.
Unless we get a Nintendo Direct either tomorrow or next week.
I kind of feel like a direct was supposed to happen but got canceled. Maybe tomorrow will prove me wrong but I mean that was a 15-minute segment not in a direct with a line that said "releasing April 17th" instead of tomorrow. Just seems like it's not happening so I'm banking on char 2 at E3.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So custom stages have a separate tab. Leaving that last slot as a possible "more stages" button. That makes me happy.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I love how out of nowhere this was. We really never saw it coming! :denzel:

With joker not having a female alt, that must mean "jane" is a new character. I wonder what the data miners will find?

And about the witch thing, lemme say this:

Grunty: "Don't look too deep into the cat and witch. If nothing turns up, it's gonna hurt like a *****!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of the many examples of stage builder stage being a generic witch will somehow do that, apparently.

Any port in a storm, I suppose.
I’m not referring to that that’s a stretch I’m referring that sb would have been perfect for Minecraft content.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I understand your opinion but labeling joker as a generic anime guy is not very fair. There is a lot more to his character and the game that he came from. I am a proud supporter of joker and banjo, but I don't understand why people dislike joker just because he comes from a game with an "anime" style. I wasn't sold on P5 at all when Joker was first revealed and then I played P5 and it's a good game (in my opinion) and I'm really glad Sakurai is including interesting characters like this. Joker also doesn't really look like anyone else in Smash aside from the Bayonetta hair so I don't see how he is "generic" as his design definitely stands out from the others. Persona 5 is also a pretty big deal as it was nominated for game of the year, but it lost to Breath of the Wild at the game awards in 2017. His moveset and the game he comes from shows that he is unique. Lumping him in with all of the other anime looking characters is just like saying duck hunt and banjo kazooie are the same thing because they are both an animal duo. It just bugs me that people generalize joker as being a lame lifeless character when his origins are extremely unique. It really reminds me of how people write off Banjo for being lame without playing his games as well.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head!

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
If Banjo is in, E3 is our Best Bet, Having both Microsoft and Nintendo at one huge event, there couldn't be a better way.

I might take a peak at what Microsoft has to offer but mainly im just going to watch NIntendo's E3, honestly I hope we get two Character Reveals at E3 and the rest can come into Autumn/early winter.

but yeah, E3 or Bust guys. (Even if Banjo isn't playable, I hope they put Game Pass on Switch so we get to play Kazooie/Tooie on Switch)

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Joker seems pretty cool, even coming from someone who doesnt like rpgs. Probably not a main, but ill try him on my friends switch this weekend. What isnt cool is having to wait even longer to see who the next character is!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do agree that the game representation should be diverse but the mentality of "generic swordsmen # 16 and anime character #11" needs to die.

I kind of feel like a direct was supposed to happen but got canceled. Maybe tomorrow will prove me wrong but I mean that was a 15-minute segment not in a direct with a line that said "releasing April 17th" instead of tomorrow. Just seems like it's not happening so I'm banking on char 2 at E3.
Seriously, alongside "everyone with a counterattack is a swordsman, doy".

That being said, I figure they're saving Direct resources for E3 anyway. Most noteworthy thing coming next week is that Persona 5 event.

Hope you guys packed. It's gonna be a wild ride.
View attachment 209294
Let's chill, we just got a month or so before E3's here.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Sakurai has been dumping a lot of extra info on Twitter right now, including this bombshell: ALL DLC fighters will have their own unique Spirit Boards that you can tackle again and again

What's this mean for us? I think this is a strong indication that the DLC WILL in fact be all third parties: They're going THIS far for themeing the DLC spirits. If we were getting another Mario character they could just dump them in the pool with the rest, but the DLC spirits are being held separately in their own special space

So imagine if you will: A Banjo Kazooie themed Spirit Board

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
If Sakurai put this much detail into the first dlc fighter and the fact that dlc characters are going to be in the banner gets me so excited. I was scared only base game characters would be on the banner, which disappointed me because I really wanted to see Banjo & Kazooie on that banner especially after the grinch leak. It makes me so much more excited about how much detail Sakurai could put in if Banjo & Kazooie get in since Joker is such a detailed fighter and has a lot of cool Persona references. If Banjo & Kazooie also get in it would be so sweet to see them on that banner with all of those gaming icons and their former nintendo brethren. God I don't wanna get my hopes up, but I'm feeling really good about our chances guys! We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I’m not referring to that that’s a stretch I’m referring that sb would have been perfect for Minecraft content.
Oh, well that's just as unfounded. I didn't even see any Nintendo content in stage builder (past existing backgrounds), it's all generic stuff. And honestly, unprecedented incorporation of an unrepresented IP should never be the contingent theory regarding said chances for playability. So weighing your hat on that is a bit misguided. That's like saying "well x didn't get a boss so obviously it won't get a character".

Not to mention, it's entirely possible additional content could be added to stage builder going forward.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So would it be a Banjo spirit board or a Rare board? Jet Force and Blast Corps could clash when Banjo is the focus.

Was there no stage with Joker? At least I got the Knuckles and Tails Mii Costume?
Joker got the memetos stage. The stage layout is pretty simple, but the colors of the stage change depending on the music you chose.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I do have to ask. Is Joker really that big of a deal in Japan? Because the beginning of the trailer compares him to the likes of Mario, Ryu, and Cloud.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I love how out of nowhere this was. We really never saw it coming! :denzel:

With joker not having a female alt, that must mean "jane" is a new character. I wonder what the data miners will find?

And about the witch thing, lemme say this:

Grunty: "Don't look too deep into the cat and witch. If nothing turns up, it's gonna hurt like a *****!"
I'm LITERALLY crying and shaking, Grunty would NEVER say this xD

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do have to ask. Is Joker really that big of a deal in Japan? Because the beginning of the trailer compares him to the likes of Mario, Ryu, and Cloud.
I think the point is to emphasize the pedigree of the cast Joker is joining.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai has been dumping a lot of extra info on Twitter right now, including this bombshell: ALL DLC fighters will have their own unique Spirit Boards that you can tackle again and again

What's this mean for us? I think this is a strong indication that the DLC WILL in fact be all third parties: They're going THIS far for themeing the DLC spirits. If we were getting another Mario character they could just dump them in the pool with the rest, but the DLC spirits are being held separately in their own special space

So imagine if you will: A Banjo Kazooie themed Spirit Board
Actually, seeing how how Banjo is basically the most beloved RARE creation and is seen as their mascot after they lost the rights to develop DKC games (hanhelds aside), i can see them using some Rare characters as Spirits and some other non-Banjo RARE representation via Mii Costumes like a Mii Brawler Battletoad and Mii Swordfighter Conker with a Frying pan,and even some music (Castlevania's soundtrack includes Getsu Fuma for example) That would perfectly explain the presence of Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps in the data, they using Banjo as Mr. Rare (not moveset wise like Pac-Man who uses arcade attacks, but rather he would be used as the ambassador of the company)

It makes too much sense. I guess every cloud has a silver lining after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
My God, same here. As soon as I saw the title for Mii costumes I started saying "Please don't show Banjo" over and over.

My heart is still racing...
This one seemed completely Sega themed, so I wasn’t worried about it. But it does however make sense for an all Rare/Microsoft themed pack if Banjo happens

D

Deleted member

Oh, well that's just as unfounded. I didn't even see any Nintendo content in stage builder (past existing backgrounds), it's all generic stuff. And honestly, unprecedented incorporation of an unrepresented IP should never be the contingent theory regarding said chances for playability. So weighing your hat on that is a bit misguided. That's like saying "well x didn't get a boss so obviously it won't get a character".

Not to mention, it's entirely possible additional content could be added to stage builder going forward.
Well none of the less I don’t think he’s in

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So, uh, what exactly does the Rare spirits appearing in base game mean? Like, why were they in the base game, but Joker’s weren’t? Could Banjo and Kazooie have been planned for the base game? It doesn’t make sense, all things considered.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Persona 5 is sure popular in Japan but not really that much in smash communities I say.
NOA did kind of tease something smash'll happen before TGA but we got nothing like that from NOJ so the Joker reveal was literally out of nowhere for us. I think this is one of a reason Joker somewhat considered as gaijin pick in Japanese smash bubble.

D

Deleted member

Persona 5 is sure popular in Japan but not really that much in smash communities I say.
NOA did kind of tease something smash'll happen before TGA but we got nothing like that from NOJ so the Joker reveal was literally out of nowhere for us. I think this is one of a reason Joker somewhat considered as gaijin pick in Japanese smash bubble.
So you're telling us that Japanse Smash Fans think Joker was a pick by western Smash fans when Persona 5 is a hit in Japan unlike any other part of the world? (as far as i have seen)

This is Clown World i live in i swear.

EDIT: By the way this isn't meant as an attack, im just confused as all hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
So, uh, what exactly does the Rare spirits appearing in base game mean? Like, why were they in the base game, but Joker’s weren’t? Could Banjo and Kazooie have been planned for the base game? It doesn’t make sense, all things considered.
Well perhaps there will be mysteries that we will never figure out, like "Jane".

Top Bottom