• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Graizen

Smash Champion
How do y'all feel about the light hype surrounding Agumon? Digimon's got a new game in 2019 on switch so that could set up a reveal for a digi-rep. Not to distract here but I've been seeing a little following for him. I'd get behind that as a foil for Pokemon since Digimon was the quintessential rival for Pokemon.
Bro, look at me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How do y'all feel about the light hype surrounding Agumon? Digimon's got a new game in 2019 on switch so that could set up a reveal for a digi-rep. Not to distract here but I've been seeing a little following for him. I'd get behind that as a foil for Pokemon since Digimon was the quintessential rival for Pokemon.
I feel that Agumon has decent chances, especially since Heihachi has things preventing his inclusion. Lloyd/Yuri could still get in his way (among others), but those are rumors, after all.

Personally I would prefer Klonoa and Ms. Pac-Man most of all, just let me dream in peace.

I actually was thinking that as I read the article as well. He didn't say that none of the other characters are developed at all. Now, Sakurai didn't clearly indicate that to be the case, so it very well may be they haven't worked on any of the other characters yet, but I still consider it very much in the realm of possibilities that one of the other characters (Steve or anyone else) has been worked on to a point of being somewhat playable.
On the other hand, this may just turn out to all be mental gymnastics in the end. Seeing that Verge had supposedly heard the Ender Dragon would be a day one patched boss, and even then he wasn't 100% sure about that info.

All we know is that the characters are unexpected, that's what we go on from.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, I got my free download code for Piranha Plant today, so now it's just a matter of waiting for the character to actually be released.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I don't mind this little Digimon tangent, as I'd love Agumon/Greymon/MetalGreymon in as a single playable newcomer in Smash, it'd be incredible, really. But where's the light hype coming from? Anything to suggest that it's actually possible? I know there's a new Digimon game on the way, and Eevee just got its own Tamagotchi, and of course Smash is made by Bandai/Namco... But Digimon is nowhere near the juggernaut it used to be (if it ever really could be considered a juggernaut). And as much as I'd love it, and others too, is it really high profile enough these days to earn such a thing as a DLC playable character in Smash.

And here I am in the Banjo-Kazooie thread, a franchise that has been dormant for over a decade... heh.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I don't mind this little Digimon tangent, as I'd love Agumon/Greymon/MetalGreymon in as a single playable newcomer in Smash, it'd be incredible, really. But where's the light hype coming from? Anything to suggest that it's actually possible? I know there's a new Digimon game on the way, and Eevee just got its own Tamagotchi, and of course Smash is made by Bandai/Namco... But Digimon is nowhere near the juggernaut it used to be (if it ever really could be considered a juggernaut). And as much as I'd love it, and others too, is it really high profile enough these days to earn such a thing as a DLC playable character in Smash.

And here I am in the Banjo-Kazooie thread, a franchise that has been dormant for over a decade... heh.
I dont really have a source to the Digi-hype, just looked around 4chan and Gamefaqs. The hype train for them isn't as big as ours but I honestly see potential in a Digimon rep in Smash. Agumon could work with a Final Smash where he turns into Wargraymon. Hell I'd love Wargraymon outright as a fighter!

I just feel kinship with Agu-bros because they also get dumped on and passed as irrelevant when their hype is just as viable as ours.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh for sure, Agumon's fighting gimmick is perfect. A bit of a mix of Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Wario, Little Mac and Cloud's gimmicks. Where after building up a meter in the Digivice at the bottom of the screen, you can activate a digivolution and become Greymon and even MetalGreymon, where all of your attacks get spruced up, which isn't quite like any current character on the roster's fighting gimmick, but it'd be perfect for a Digimon. So yeah, creative moveset potential and gimmick, alongside strong and iconic brand that's begging to be pitted against Pokemon (Pikachu vs. Agumon and Charizard vs. Greymon in and of itself is like Mario vs Sonic and Link vs. Cloud, it's iconic) I'm all for it!! it's an infectious idea and I can totally see why it's starting to trend in Smash speculation communities.

But ummm... Banjo-Kazooie first please!

Graizen

Smash Champion
Oh for sure, Agumon's fighting gimmick is perfect. A bit of a mix of Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Wario, Little Mac and Cloud's gimmicks. Where after building up a meter in the Digivice at the bottom of the screen, you can activate a digivolution and become Greymon and even MetalGreymon, where all of your attacks get spruced up, which isn't quite like any current character on the roster's fighting gimmick, but it'd be perfect for a Digimon. So yeah, creative moveset potential and gimmick, alongside strong and iconic brand that's begging to be pitted against Pokemon (Pikachu vs. Agumon and Charizard vs. Greymon in and of itself is like Mario vs Sonic and Link vs. Cloud, it's iconic) I'm all for it!! it's an infectious idea and I can totally see why it's starting to trend in Smash speculation communities.

But ummm... Banjo-Kazooie first please!
Hard to see "why not" on Agumon's case.

He's awesome!

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'd be hyped as hell if Agumon got in Smash. I love the idea that he could start out weak, but has a limit break mechanic where he turns into Greymon/Metal Greymon for a short time with upgraded attacks/specials. Then his final smash could be warp digivolving to Wargreymon and using Terraforce.

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think Sakurai saying Joker had not started development when they decided to reveal him at the VGAs puts the nail in the coffin for Xenother and Higagi saying their sources saw Steve playable back in August?

Do you guys think Sakurai saying Joker had not started development when they decided to reveal him at the VGAs puts the nail in the coffin for Xenother and Higagi saying their sources saw Steve playable back in August?
I said this earlier but I’ll say it again:

The only way Hitagi and Xenother could still be right is if Nintendo completely disregarded how far in development Steve and the Square character were and just decided to announce Joker as the first DLC instead. And I don’t really see the logic behind making a brand new character release first instead of the other 2 that are basically finished

Mr. Stagg

It does not make much sense that Blockhead would be that far in development when the 1st fighter didn't even get started. To see gameplay would imply a few months in development like Piranha plant.

It would be safe to assume that Xenother, Hitagi and Vergie-burgie are done. Notice how they've disappeared from the smash scene.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Assuming he's in, I don't think Erdrick is that far in development either. I think he's in and about as far in development as Joker is. They probably decided on Joker over Erdrick at the Game Awards since it fit the venue better. Considering DQXI had a single nomination this year and isn't a great choice for a western event while Persona 5 was nominated four times last year including GOTY and Persona's popularity in the west is on the rise. Dragon Quest still makes a whole lot of sense if they got the rights.

Steve however makes no sense based on what we've heard. There's no way he was in a playable state during Summer last year. I really feel like he's bait for Banjo-Kazooie. Especially with the Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini stuff in the files.

Erdrick and Banjo-Kazooie seem like super likely DLC to me. I think Dante would make a lot of sense after that. Not sure who the last one would be.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Assuming he's in, I don't think Erdrick is that far in development either. I think he's in and about as far in development as Joker is. They probably decided on Joker over Erdrick at the Game Awards since it fit the venue better. Considering DQXI had a single nomination this year and isn't a great choice for a western event while Persona 5 was nominated four times last year including GOTY and Persona's popularity in the west is on the rise. Dragon Quest still makes a whole lot of sense if they got the rights.

Steve however makes no sense based on what we've heard. There's no way he was in a playable state during Summer last year. I really feel like he's bait for Banjo-Kazooie. Especially with the Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini stuff in the files.

Erdrick and Banjo-Kazooie seem like super likely DLC to me. I think Dante would make a lot of sense after that. Not sure who the last one would be.
Eh, I don't know about Dante, seeing as Kamiya deliberately conducted that character poll on Twitter. Surely, he would have been given a NDA before he could even post it, otherwise.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Now that someone brought it up I hope we get an Agumon DLC. A DLC roster consisting of:

Joker
Agumon
Banjo
Square Enix Character (doubting this one at this point)
Third Party Rep (Rayman/Doom Slayer) or First Party Rep (Sylux or Bandanna Dee)

would be the greatest damn thing ever

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
It does not make much sense that Blockhead would be that far in development when the 1st fighter didn't even get started. To see gameplay would imply a few months in development like Piranha plant.

It would be safe to assume that Xenother, Hitagi and Vergie-burgie are done. Notice how they've disappeared from the smash scene.
It's about time. Now that's left is the click bait YouTube "leakers".

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Put me in that support list, I really wish for these characters to make a comeback in gaming in smash.

Let's go Banjo!!!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Welp. Looks like there's still a chance for that Minecraft content folks

https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1078425217486213120?s=19

Could we be seeing the announcement of Banjo along with some Rare Mii costumes? Mumbo perhaps as a Mii Gunner? Or maybe the Jetforce Twins? Either way I'm feeling Minecraft Steve Mii outfit or at least a head piece for the Mii.. maybe a sword outfit with a diamond sword. Either way get ready for some character decomfirms through Mii outfits again.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Now that someone brought it up I hope we get an Agumon DLC. A DLC roster consisting of:

Joker
Agumon
Banjo
Square Enix Character (doubting this one at this point)
Third Party Rep (Rayman/Doom Slayer) or First Party Rep (Sylux or Bandanna Dee)

would be the greatest damn thing ever
Square Enix rep for me: Sora or Erdrick

And i think Crash will be one DLC as well.

Agumon is strong in my opinion.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Let’s discuss my fellow Banjo Supporters. Do you think we might get a cross platform Remastered Remake which helps build momentum for a smash reveal or Banjo threeiee?
Anything as long as we get SOMETHING. I can't believe we live in a world where Bubsy and Toe Jam & Earl are getting new games before Banjo & Kazooie. In fact, I can't believe we live in a world where Solid Snake, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta, and Joker from Persona 5 all got into Smash before Banjo & Kazooie. What Microsoft and Rare have put them through has been down right criminal.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Let’s discuss my fellow Banjo Supporters. Do you think we might get a cross platform Remastered Remake which helps build momentum for a smash reveal or Banjo threeiee?
Grrrr I hate game devs sometimes. Not even a hint or clue to follow. They are just so coy it hurts! The only thing to go off of is the trend of remastering. I think the quick success of the Yooka-laylee kickstarter was the catalyst to this trend. I just want to see Mumbos Mountain in remastered glorious HD!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
no i want to see mumbo's mountain in 4K ! B/C if its a remaster i feel like it will be a launch title for the "Xbox Two" or what ever dumb name the give it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anything as long as we get SOMETHING. I can't believe we live in a world where Bubsy and Toe Jam & Earl are getting new games before Banjo & Kazooie. In fact, I can't believe we live in a world where Solid Snake, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta, and Joker from Persona 5 all got into Smash before Banjo & Kazooie. What Microsoft and Rare have put them through has been down right criminal.
I legit am not mad about ToeJam & Earl coming back, they're groovy.

Heck, even Streets of Rage is getting a sequel again, not to mention Panzer Dragoon having its own remasters. If only Rare wasn't bound to a "mature console for mature gamers such as myself".

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It really is a shame what happen to Banjo-Kazooie and Rare, Imagine if Kirby's developer (HAL Laboratory) or Pokemon's developer (Game Freak) got bought out by a competitor and Pikachu and Kirby were representing the Xbox brand (Shudders)

Last edited:

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
It really is a shame what happen to Banjo-Kazooie and Rare, Imagine if Kirby's developer (HAL Laboratory) or Pokemon's developer (Game Freak) got bought out by a competitor and Pikachu and Kirby were representing the Xbox brand (Shudders)
Atleast they would get new games.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The story of Banjo-Kazooie really is a tragedy within the history of gaming. An IP that goes from being on top of the world too literally being burried and practically forgotten... it's super depressing to see the duo in all those Nintendo power adverts alongside Mario and Pokemon and then see where they are now....

The worst part about it is.. that a lot of other people don't see them the way a lot of older gamers do. I remember when seeing Banjo was just as normal as seeing Mario he was everywhere...a lot of younger gamers act like Banjo was "just another 90s mascot" like the endless amounts of others from the era but it's not true... he was VERY popular and that's mostly because of how well made Rares platformers were. Its useless to point fingers at who's to blame for the downfall of the IP.. it was a group effort.. Rare was hemoraging the old talent that made them juggernauts in the early 90s, Nintendo was disinterested in the drection they were headed and didn't buy, MS swoops in and scoop's them up then proceeds to shut down most of their ideas, followed by half baked games getting pushed out until finally they became an Xbox Avatar maker... all in the whIle Banjo and Conker get dragged down with the ship as it were..

I personally don't think Nintendo would have done any better had they retained the Banjo-Kazooie license.. look at what they did to DK after Rares departure... Banjo would have probably faired only slightly better than were he is now... in the end its just super sad. I'm really hoping that Rare, Microsoft, and Nintendo can see the impact of what this franchise has had on so many people and actually get the ball rolling on SOMETHING.. I'll admit that seeing Banjo-Kazooie merchandise after this past anniversary for them made me emotional because it's nice to see something actually go well for them after the sh** hand they've been dealt the past decade... maybe hopefully soon we will see them rejoin the ranks of Nintendo's all stars in Smash so they're legacy can at least be sealed in the greatest crossover game of all time. It would be almost poetic for them to be reunited with Diddy, DK, and K. Rool.. who were once they're Rare brethren as well as Mario, Yoshi, Link, and Pikachu.. who where the mascots they were often alongside in advertisements..

I know that a lot of people get all bent out of shape when you use the term "deserve" but I don't care.. Banjo-Kazooie deserve to be in Smash...they should have been there years ago.. their time like Ridley and K. Rool before them, is far overdue... sorry for the book.. just felt like ranting a bit.

On the topic of that holiday card.. it's interesting they'd choose Battletoads, Conker, and Banjo over Sea of Thieve's, Viva Pinata, etc. Which i consider Rares Xbox main IPs. It's almost as if they know what franchises their fans actually care about... hmmmmmm. I wouldn't think too much into it.. I just think they were going for their most recognized character's in the image. Then again.. it's more advertising any of them have gotten in years..

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The story of Banjo-Kazooie really is a tragedy within the history of gaming. An IP that goes from being on top of the world too literally being burried and practically forgotten... it's super depressing to see the duo in all those Nintendo power adverts alongside Mario and Pokemon and then see where they are now....

The worst part about it is.. that a lot of other people don't see them the way a lot of older gamers do. I remember when seeing Banjo was just as normal as seeing Mario he was everywhere...a lot of younger gamers act like Banjo was "just another 90s mascot" like the endless amounts of others from the era but it's not true... he was VERY popular and that's mostly because of how well made Rares platformers were. Its useless to point fingers at who's to blame for the downfall of the IP.. it was a group effort.. Rare was hemoraging the old talent that made them juggernauts in the early 90s, Nintendo was disinterested in the drection they were headed and didn't buy, MS swoops in and scoop's them up then proceeds to shut down most of their ideas, followed by half baked games getting pushed out until finally they became an Xbox Avatar maker... all in the whIle Banjo and Conker get dragged down with the ship as it were..

I personally don't think Nintendo would have done any better had they retained the Banjo-Kazooie license.. look at what they did to DK after Rares departure... Banjo would have probably faired only slightly better than were he is now... in the end its just super sad. I'm really hoping that Rare, Microsoft, and Nintendo can see the impact of what this franchise has had on so many people and actually get the ball rolling on SOMETHING.. I'll admit that seeing Banjo-Kazooie merchandise after this past anniversary for them made me emotional because it's nice to see something actually go well for them after the sh** hand they've been dealt the past decade... maybe hopefully soon we will see them rejoin the ranks of Nintendo's all stars in Smash so they're legacy can at least be sealed in the greatest crossover game of all time. It would be almost poetic for them to be reunited with Diddy, DK, and K. Rool.. who were once they're Rare brethren as well as Mario, Yoshi, Link, and Pikachu.. who where the mascots they were often alongside in advertisements..

I know that a lot of people get all bent out of shape when you use the term "deserve" but I don't care.. Banjo-Kazooie deserve to be in Smash...they should have been there years ago.. their time like Ridley and K. Rool before them, is far overdue... sorry for the book.. just felt like ranting a bit.

On the topic of that holiday card.. it's interesting they'd choose Battletoads, Conker, and Banjo over Sea of Thieve's, Viva Pinata, etc. Which i consider Rares Xbox main IPs. It's almost as if they know what franchises their fans actually care about... hmmmmmm. I wouldn't think too much into it.. I just think they were going for their most recognized character's in the image. Then again.. it's more advertising any of them have gotten in years..
It's even worse with Earthworm Jim, since at least B-K gets lip service.

Jimbo's reputation sank like a rock after 3-D and Menace 2 the Galaxy, and was barely kept relevant with ports of the first two games afterwards. And now, the guys owning his license are in the process of selling it, and there's no clue how that's even going.

All this, for the guy who had a rivalry with frigging Donkey Kong, to the point that they made fun of him in DKC2 in jest.

Compared to that, B-K has a more immediate chance at redemption.

Last edited:

Agreed 100%. Banjo & Kazooie really do “deserve” to be in Smash, I don’t care what anybody says. They’re such an important character to so many people who grew up with Nintendo in that era, they’re just an important part of Nintendo’s history in general, and the fact that they’re just missing from a game that’s all about bringing Nintendo’s mascots from over the years together is just... depressing. It’s like a giant beautiful puzzle, and Banjo is the one piece that’s missing.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah if nintendo kept banjo's IP he could of ended up like gamecube donkey kong but we would of had a chance of him already being in smash as well as in mario sports & party games

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
5q5nid87qa621.jpg

I know Christmas already passed ,But here's a picture from Holiday 1998. Really goes to show how big Banjo-Kazooie were back in the N64 era being promoted alongside other Nintendo All-Stars.

Also pretty funny to see Ken Griffey Jr and Kobe Bryant celebrating Christmas with Nintendo characters.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
View attachment 184640
I know Christmas already passed ,But here's a picture from Holiday 1998. Really goes to show how big Banjo-Kazooie were back in the N64 era being promoted alongside other Nintendo All-Stars.

Also pretty funny to see Ken Griffey Jr and Kobe Bryant celebrating Christmas with Nintendo characters.
Ken Griffey Jr. And Kobe Bryant for Smash

Mr. Stagg

I noticed a topic on gamefaqs that brings up an excellent point that Sakurai himself stated that utterly demolishes the concept of Steve being playable and gives Banjo and Kazooie much more of a concrete argument for inclusion.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/

Lets start with this, an interview where Sakurai details why some characters are chosen to be fighters.

To quote Sakurai,

Standard for Selecting Characters:
・The character must display personality in their game
・It’s important to have something only that character can do.
・Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration
・ Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration

Point 1 is already a Steve-killer, since the Blockhead can't emote or show ANY personality or physical movement aside from "move limbs". His limbs are not articulate and all he can do is wiggle his arm to imitate swinging a tool. Going back to Banjo & Kazooie, we all know that they both show immense personality in their games. One great example is their Idle animation where Kazooie pops out to bonk Banjo's head for a laugh. In action, they both show personality with how one uses the other to function as a whole character.

Point 2 can apply to our Duo as well considering no other character has their unique charm and aesthetic aside maybe Duck-hunt. Even then the Duck-hunt similarity just boils down to "Mammal with Bird" and I trust Sakurai isn't going to toss Banjo away just because of that.

Take good notice of the 3th page under the section of "Parameters" This really puts Steve at a huge disadvantage because in order to work as a fighter, Sakurai himself states "Characters are created as a combination of their source material and Smash's game design and dynamic characters." Banjo and Kazooie have tons of different moves, abilities, and animations that can be used as a viable moveset and just generally fit with the high energy of Smash Bro's gameplay.

I know im preaching to the choir here but this provides great insight into how our beloved duo should and WILL fit in as a Smash bros fighter if they do make it in.

I'm sure there are tons of other examples that demolishes Bricks-for-brains chances, but these stuck out for me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would be bad if I bought a Xbox One just to play Banjo wouldn't it?
Somewhat, but there's still Rare Replay and Killer Instinct to bolster things a bit.

View attachment 184640

It's interesting to see pre-DK64 artwork like this. Also, seeing tiny Star Wars spacecraft is uncanny.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I find it funny how puns are being used as Steve insults :p

Anyway I'd rather both B-K and Steve be in, but I do see just B-K getting in if Sakurai can't get Steve to fit his philosophy (which is fine with me tbh I'd just like Steve as well; I think he could get Steve to work (make a personality based on the survival and creative aspects, or get goofy ideas from Mojang) plus he can actually move his limbs in any direction, even if they can't bend).

I definitely hope that the "No Western Characters will ever happen" fan-rule get's broken by B-K and Steve.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If Game & Watch can be given personality, Steve can too. I think Steve is still a very real possibility personally, but obviously we know who I'm really rooting for.

Top Bottom