• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
One argument blockheads like to bring up is that Sakurai likes to play Minecraft, meaning Steve is a lock. I highly doubt that's the case. Anyone who played Minecraft or even knows its mechanics should know that the "character" you use is barely a factor in the whole game. It is all about the world you make. One thing I see with all the fighters, even the avatars, is that they all are characters important to the game they originated from. Even side characters like Ken and Best Doggo are integral in their role.

I am willing to concede that Plant was a huge WTF, but he still has tons of history and moves to draw from. Again, Sakurai saw a moveset in Plantman and he's able to move and flow as a viable fighter. I'd rather have Hammerbros as the nook fighter but ehhh...whateva. I'll admit I'm a little warm on Plantman. Worth a shot.

One argument blockheads like to bring up is that Sakurai likes to play Minecraft, meaning Steve is a lock. I highly doubt that's the case. Anyone who played Minecraft or even knows its mechanics should know that the "character" you use is barely a factor in the whole game. It is all about the world you make. One thing I see with all the fighters, even the avatars, is that they all are characters important to the game they originated from. Even side characters like Ken and Best Doggo are integral in their role.

I am willing to concede that Plant was a huge WTF, but he still has tons of history and moves to draw from. Again, Sakurai saw a moveset in Plantman and he's able to move and flow as a viable fighter. I'd rather have Hammerbros as the nook fighter but ehhh...whateva. I'll admit I'm a little warm on Plantman. Worth a shot.
The more important thing is all the characters in Smash project some kind of personality in their games. And people usually use Villager or Game & Watch, etc as an argument against that, they say “Villager is just an avatar/blank slate like Steve.” But what they fail to acknowledge is Villager and all the characters in Animal Crossing are extremely expressive, unlike Steve. This is the personality he has. Look at Game & Watch. His animations from his games are filled with different expressions and random characteristics that give him personality. Every character has some kind of traits or behavior that gives them some kind of personality. Steve literally has none of that. Same blank expression 24/7, literally nothing that gives him personality. He just runs around picking things up and sitting them down. It’s been said a million times, but Minecraft is all about the gameplay, Steve is the face of the series, but nobody actually cares about him as a character.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice

I think Piranha Plant boosts BK's chances because Sakurai stated that he chose him mainly because of his unique moveset and it would bring a new experience to players. Therefore, I hope Sakurai continues this approach for the rest of the DLC because I'ts not even necessary to explain what the bear and bird would bring to the game if they're added.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hey, guys, a few things: 1. I ultimately decided to buy the Fighter Pass today mainly because I've really been enjoying the six unique newcomers, and I trust that Sakurai would put that same level of quality into the DLC Fighters, so I'm buying it now. Plus, it saves me an extra five dollars in the long run.

And 2. I'm almost done with my marathon of going through every character and seeing how they play, so I should be posting my thoughts on the Echoes, returning Veterans that didn't make Smash 4, and newcomers relatively soon.

Side Note: Am I the only one annoyed at the fact that you can't transfer a specific amount of funds from your credit card, and instead, you have to transfer over fixed amounts?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Imma leave this here from the Geno thread:

A japanese game magazine (Faminico Gamer) recently did a poll on such things as favorite character, stages, etc. One of the polls was who they still wanted as a DLC fighter. Guess who made top 5?

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/kikakuthetower/181228g/2

Despite not being placed #1, the fact that he's still placing even in recent polls, especially japanese polls is really refreshing to see. BK is also a favorite of mine, so if popular opinion is still a factor at Nintendo, hopefully they take to mind polls like this to give people what they want.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
LC already did a quick and dirty translation of it:

Rex (Xenoblade 2): 79 votes
Sora (Kingdom Hearts Series): 60 votes
Bandana Wadorudi (Kirby's series of stars): 43 votes
Gino (Super Mario RPG): 33 votes
Banjo and Kazooi (Banjo and Kazoo's big adventure series): 32 votes
2B: (Nier Automata) 30 votes
Hunter (Monster Hunter series): 30 votes
Dante (Devil May Cry Series): 28 votes
Sands (Undertale): 22 votes
Homura (Xenoblide 2): 20 votes
Amaterasu (Okami): 18 votes
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII): 18 votes
Main character of "Dragon Quest" series: 18 votes
Arles (Puyo Puyo series): 17 votes
Slime (Dragon Quest Series): 17 votes
Maholoa (Kirby's series of stars): 15 votes
Taco Girl · Taco Boy (Splatoon 2): 13 votes
Shadow · Hedgehog (Sonic series): 12 votes
Altoia Pendragon Saber (Fate series): 12 votes
Ryuichi Naruto (Inversion Trial Series): 12 votes
Raiden (Metal Gear Solid Series): 11 votes
Crash · Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot Series): 11 votes
Waluigi (Mario series): 11 votes
Zero (Rockman Zero Series): 10 votes
Kiryu Kazuma (Ryu ga Gotoku Series): 10 votes
Although voting for Pyra separately is a bit of a waste, if you ask me.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Anyone able to translate the full list? I'd really love to know all the placings
1. Rex
2. Sora
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Geno
5. Banjo-Kazooie
6. 2B
7. Monster Hunter
8. Dante
9. Sans
10. Homura
11. Amaterasu
12. Sephiroth
13. Dragon Quest Main Character
14. Arles
15. Slime
16. Magolor
17. Octoling
18. Shadow
19. Altoia Pendragon Saber
20. Ryuichi Naruto
21. Raiden
22. Crash Bandicoot
23. Waluigi
24. Zero
25. Kiryu Kazuma

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
1. Rex
2. Sora
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Geno
5. Banjo-Kazooie
6. 2B
7. Monster Hunter
8. Dante
9. Sans
10. Homura
11. Amaterasu
12. Sephiroth
13. Dragon Quest Main Character
14. Arles
15. Slime
16. Magolor
17. Octoling
18. Shadow
19. Altoia Pendragon Saber
20. Ryuichi Naruto
21. Raiden
22. Crash Bandicoot
23. Waluigi
24. Zero
25. Kiryu Kazuma
Seems like a neat list.

By the way, Homura = Pyra for those wondering.

Mr. Stagg

Haahhaaa...Steve's not even mentioned. Lol. Also, Happy New Years lads!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
f7907cdd-935b-41b9-a21f-74e79ef78456.jpg

I hope sometime in 2019 this picture becomes a reality, To be able to have 4-Player free for all fight with these main characters from my childhood and my top 4 all time favorite video game franchises would truly make this the Ultimate Super Smash Bros.

A dream matchup and a reunion 20 years in the making to celebrate Super Smash Bros 20th Anniversary.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Happy New Year Banjo-roos, maybe a miracle can happen this time.

In the meantime, Conker is the next Rare mascot to get the First 4 Figures treatment. I wonder if they'll move on to the Battletoads later on:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._day_figure_but_itll_cost_you_at_least_usd430

If Super Lucky's Tale of all things is going to no longer be exclusive, hopefully this bodes well for Cuphead going elsewhere besides Mac.

In all seriousness, SLT will be a much better fit on Switch, since the Xbox audience isn't really what it should be aimed for.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
the F4F Conker statue looks good ! too bad I don't got that kinda money tho I didn't even buy the Banjo Kazooie F4F statue :/ but I do appreciate good art & the quality of those statues. & the guys at F4F said that there Banjo statue sold really well that they might consider doing diffrent vertions of it like instead of kazooie flying with banjo they might do a vertion with Dragon Kazooie ! witch would be cool.

Super Lucky's Tail didn't look that good to me but if it comes to switch at least it could find an audience for it there

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Sakurai and Sora Limited has done stuff we all think was impossible , in the past.

Even when you look at Ultimate , bringing everyone back must have take an impressive ammount of time and efforts. That's around 60+ characters that needeed to be redone/tweeked.
And the newcomers?

Ridley , too big.
K Rool , irrelevant , Nintendo don't like him.
Simon , impossible since Konami left and Snake wasn't even Sm4sh DLC.
Daisy , Rosalina got in before her.
Chrom , got litteraly BTFO in Robin's trailer.

Sure , Inkling was always getting in , Isabelle was a promo pick and for the casual , and Incineroar was the obligatory Pokemon.

But then look at Dark Samus. It was in like , 2 games? But people wanted more Metroid representation , so here you go.

And Ken. I don't like him , but it's amazing to see him and Ryu on Smash Bros ! The original fighting game character and his original clone!

That's why I think BK has more chance than Steve. They'll do stuff that is impossible , but will also do these impossible stuff for a reason.

Everyone know Minecraft , adding Steve will probably bring back some old players and a few new ones... But like , wouldn't BK get more positive reception? And I think that Microsoft know which of their characters is a popular character for Smash. (and Master Chief was denied in a Microsoft tweet iirc , not sure about that)If Nintendo want to sell , why not pick the most requested character?

And even , if you were to present them on the eshop... On one hand , you have a character with no emotions , and a pixelated style , weird animations... And on the other hand , you have this goofy dynamic duo with a simple yet attractive design for the Nintendo playerbase.(Simple , cute , unique.) Yeah , some will say "BuT THaT'S a DuCk hUNt ECHo fiGHtEr !" but they'll be a minority.

Also , I saw someone comparing this to Cloud VS Geno.
Cloud is an iconic character even for people who don't play video games and was a "never-ever" , but it was obvious that people would like him.
Geno is a fanfavorite character , he's one of the main characters of a SNES RPG , even if he had more requests than Cloud , picking him before Cloud wasn't worth it. Because it was more risky to pick him sale wise.

Now , Steve isn't iconic. Minecraft is. Let's ask any 8 years old who play minecraft , and ask them "what's the name of the protagonist?" and they won't know , because it's just a default avatar for them. That's Steve biggest problem , he's a blank character. He would bring unique mechanics to the table , but be too unique and you can f*** up the game. (:4bayonetta:) He has these two problem that Banjo and Kazooie doesn't have.

And even , if you were a father/mother buying a gaming figurine for your child , would you pick the weird blocky guy or the colorful bear and bird playing with a banjo and a kazooie? Steve design isn't attractive. People should realize that. I mean , Minecraft is a first person game , you only see Steve's arm , you need to change the camera to see him.

But also , one last thing... Getting a character from Microsoft would be hard. And there is only one character that Sakurai know has requests since Melee. Even if NoJ doesn't see the interest in BK at first , what's stoping Sakurai from explaining his interest on the character? Character developpement for DLC has barely started , Joker didn't had any gameplay footage. So they were at a point were they could still change character choice.

It's still Sakurai and Sora Limited game , even if they use Nintendo properties. And also , I think listening to the guy who make these games since 20 years wouldn't hurt.

Sorry for the long post.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sakurai and Sora Limited has done stuff we all think was impossible , in the past.

Even when you look at Ultimate , bringing everyone back must have take an impressive ammount of time and efforts. That's around 60+ characters that needeed to be redone/tweeked.
And the newcomers?

Ridley , too big.
K Rool , irrelevant , Nintendo don't like him.
Simon , impossible since Konami left and Snake wasn't even Sm4sh DLC.
Daisy , Rosalina got in before her.
Chrom , got litteraly BTFO in Robin's trailer.

Sure , Inkling was always getting in , Isabelle was a promo pick and for the casual , and Incineroar was the obligatory Pokemon.

But then look at Dark Samus. It was in like , 2 games? But people wanted more Metroid representation , so here you go.

And Ken. I don't like him , but it's amazing to see him and Ryu on Smash Bros ! The original fighting game character and his original clone!

That's why I think BK has more chance than Steve. They'll do stuff that is impossible , but will also do these impossible stuff for a reason.

Everyone know Minecraft , adding Steve will probably bring back some old players and a few new ones... But like , wouldn't BK get more positive reception? And I think that Microsoft know which of their characters is a popular character for Smash. (and Master Chief was denied in a Microsoft tweet iirc , not sure about that)If Nintendo want to sell , why not pick the most requested character?

And even , if you were to present them on the eshop... On one hand , you have a character with no emotions , and a pixelated style , weird animations... And on the other hand , you have this goofy dynamic duo with a simple yet attractive design for the Nintendo playerbase.(Simple , cute , unique.) Yeah , some will say "BuT THaT'S a DuCk hUNt ECHo fiGHtEr !" but they'll be a minority.

Also , I saw someone comparing this to Cloud VS Geno.
Cloud is an iconic character even for people who don't play video games and was a "never-ever" , but it was obvious that people would like him.
Geno is a fanfavorite character , he's one of the main characters of a SNES RPG , even if he had more requests than Cloud , picking him before Cloud wasn't worth it. Because it was more risky to pick him sale wise.

Now , Steve isn't iconic. Minecraft is. Let's ask any 8 years old who play minecraft , and ask them "what's the name of the protagonist?" and they won't know , because it's just a default avatar for them. That's Steve biggest problem , he's a blank character. He would bring unique mechanics to the table , but be too unique and you can f*** up the game. (:4bayonetta:) He has these two problem that Banjo and Kazooie doesn't have.

And even , if you were a father/mother buying a gaming figurine for your child , would you pick the weird blocky guy or the colorful bear and bird playing with a banjo and a kazooie? Steve design isn't attractive. People should realize that. I mean , Minecraft is a first person game , you only see Steve's arm , you need to change the camera to see him.

But also , one last thing... Getting a character from Microsoft would be hard. And there is only one character that Sakurai know has requests since Melee. Even if NoJ doesn't see the interest in BK at first , what's stoping Sakurai from explaining his interest on the character? Character developpement for DLC has barely started , Joker didn't had any gameplay footage. So they were at a point were they could still change character choice.

It's still Sakurai and Sora Limited game , even if they use Nintendo properties. And also , I think listening to the guy who make these games since 20 years wouldn't hurt.

Sorry for the long post.
Regardless of both Geno and Shantae being spirits, I still think they're possible to be DLC as well. There is nothing yet to confirmed that spirits deconfirm characters, so fan rules should be ignored until it's confirmed by Sakurai himself in my opinion.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Happy New Year, folks! Hopefully by this time next year we'll at least know about Banjo-Kazooie as a playable newcomer (unless they're crazy enough to announce the last character in early 2020).

I agree on Nintendo's desire to accomplish the impossible, really surprise people. Joker was that, absolutely, and so was Bayonetta and Cloud, and most newcomers for a variety of reasons mentioned above. And with that, I'm fully anticipating not just Banjo-Kazooie, but maybe even characters like Sans or Sora. Characters that seem impossible, or at least improbable, but when you really think about it... they can totally do it.

For DLC there just needs to be an audience for it, both in Japan and in the west. And luckily for us, Banjo-Kazooie is popular everywhere.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If Super Lucky's Tale of all things is going to no longer be exclusive, hopefully this bodes well for Cuphead going elsewhere besides Mac.
I was thinking another Microsoft game besides Minecraft being on Switch bodes well for a Nintendo/MS partnership and thus Banjo.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

I was thinking another Microsoft game besides Minecraft being on Switch bodes well for a Nintendo/MS partnership and thus Banjo.
Plus it's a platformer of all games. Sure it seems to be for the kiddies but it's still a Microsoft platformer on Switch.

Fakol

Smash Cadet
Did you think Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps datas will be add later or that will be remove?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Regardless of both Geno and Shantae being spirits, I still think they're possible to be DLC as well. There is nothing yet to confirmed that spirits deconfirm characters, so fan rules should be ignored until it's confirmed by Sakurai himself in my opinion.
I won't derail the thread , but third party spirits are different.
If you want to upgrade them as playable fighters , they need to negotiate again with the company that own the character.
I'm sure that Wayforward would say Yes immediatly , but concerning Square Enix... I think Geno has a chance if they wanted him and NOBODY ELSE. Because there is other candidates such as Sephiroth and most FF characters. Sora , Erdrick , Slime , Neku are owned by differents companies/shared between differents companies. Erdrick especially is shared between FIVE PARTIES.(SE , Armor Project , Bird Studio , the music composer , and Heartbeat (defunct , but still own assets linked to Erdrick directly))

But tbh , if they were to get BK rights , it wouldn't for them to be spirits/costumes/assists , with how difficult they would be to get. Except if they pick a different Microsoft rep , and make a BK costume with it.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
if Banjo and Kazooie make the cut , wich Rare characters would you like to see added as Mii costumes?

Conkers is the first one I would want , but I don't have much knowledge about Rare games. I was thinking about a Gruntilda costume , but a stage boss seem more appropriate. And we already have Ashley's costume and a witch hat

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
if Banjo and Kazooie make the cut , wich Rare characters would you like to see added as Mii costumes?

Conkers is the first one I would want , but I don't have much knowledge about Rare games. I was thinking about a Gruntilda costume , but a stage boss seem more appropriate. And we already have Ashley's costume and a witch hat
A Battletoads Mii Brawler makes too much sense

Top Bottom