• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Merry Christmas fellow Banjo-Roos! I hope our wish of Banjo & Kazooie coming home to Nintendo and Smash will come true in the coming months ahead.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Or, if we are talking famous PS2 devs, how about Sucker Punch? The Sly Cooper games are still the best platformers the PS2 has to offer and I'd love to see how they'd tackle Banjo and it'd be nice to see them again as I don't know if they even made anything after Infamous.
The only problem with Sucker Punch is that they are 1st Party Sony studio, Insomniac mainly works with Sony ,But is still independent and has worked with Microsoft before.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
He's probably saying that people are sleeping hard on Blinx. Maybe.

Yeah, but the thing is that, like with Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch, they grew up from their "childhood" (Spyro) and "teenage" (Ratchet & Clank) phases, and now focus on a current "adult" one until further notice (since they recently are working on Spider-Man). Bit of an odd trend, with those three particular devs.

And even had the gall to use Verge as a shield, should anyone insult them.
Insomniac still regularly develops for the Ratchet & Clank franchise since it's inception back in 2002, The latest installment came out a couple of years ago in 2016 on the PS4 which was somewhat of a reboot.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I've been following his Reddit posts just to see, he claimed a few weeks ago after the Joker reveal that he was told by a throw away account on Gamefaqs that a "Sega character" was getting in as DLC... he never disclosed that info. At this point he can say whatever and no one can argue it because if he didn't publicly say it he has an out when people debate him to keep his reputation. He still claims a SE rep is happening and that he himself never said that a SE character was coming first.

I have nothing against Verge. I dont doubt his info was real obviously it was. I do however doubt the authenticity of his DLC info. Smash DLC was only leaked through datamines last cycle I doubt it's going to be all that different this time..
Well he did say SE would be coming first and there's photo evidence of it to so he's screwed there. But he's specifically saying Erdrick from DQ now which honestly I've never heard of the character and only know the series as that one Mario crossed over for a monopoly rip off, while I love some of SE's games like KH (yes I know it's actually owned by Disney) and TWEWY they barley actually own any of their content. As an example while FF only has who songs is because they dint actually own the music, the composer does and they've long since left SE so high royalty fees is what prevents more than two songs. They also apparently don't own the character designs for the rest of the party members or something? I forget but there's something that explains why the stage is just battlefield with summons and why Cloud doesn't use any official art from his games as his spirits and rather us his ultimate original render for his spirits and why he's the only character from FF as a spirit. Of course Geno and Mallow are a special case since they're also Mario characters... honestly SE seems to be quite confusing and complicated to work with, probably the hardest of all third parties. Nonetheless... I actually hope we don't get a new SE rep, since it's probably just gonna feel like another incomplete package like Cloud, I'll take Banjo and someone else from Bandai Namco like Lloyd or KOS-MOS instead.

While this may not be much, NL gave out a list of snow/Christmas-themed levels to suggest trying out. Guess which one made the list?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...o_winter-themed_levels_to_play_this_christmas

That's right, our very own Freezeezy Peak.

Adding to your reasoning, the window of opportunity for reconsidering Heihachi ended up closing, since :ultincineroar: is his (second) former voice actor's final role.

An AT role would make a lot of sense for Steve though.
Also I'll just say the remnants of Master Chief supporters are split on Banjo and Steve now so... don't expect all of them turning their support to Banjo. But yeah, Steve as an AT makes way too much sense as I think I set down a case for, wouldn't stop others like Mumbo Jumbo though as some third parties have more than one assist trophy (Megaman, Somic the hedgehog).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Insomniac still regularly develops for the Ratchet & Clank franchise since it's inception back in 2002, The latest installment came out a couple of years ago in 2016 on the PS4 which was somewhat of a reboot.
Yes, although there haven't been any other installments at the moment since 2016. Whether they'll resume R&C once Spider-Man DLC's done is unclear.

Also, it's "reimagning", according to them, anyway.

Well he did say SE would be coming first and there's photo evidence of it to so he's screwed there. But he's specifically saying Erdrick from DQ now which honestly I've never heard of the character and only know the series as that one Mario crossed over for a monopoly rip off, while I love some of SE's games like KH (yes I know it's actually owned by Disney) and TWEWY they barley actually own any of their content. As an example while FF only has who songs is because they dint actually own the music, the composer does and they've long since left SE so high royalty fees is what prevents more than two songs. They also apparently don't own the character designs for the rest of the party members or something? I forget but there's something that explains why the stage is just battlefield with summons and why Cloud doesn't use any official art from his games as his spirits and rather us his ultimate original render for his spirits and why he's the only character from FF as a spirit. Of course Geno and Mallow are a special case since they're also Mario characters... honestly SE seems to be quite confusing and complicated to work with, probably the hardest of all third parties. Nonetheless... I actually hope we don't get a new SE rep, since it's probably just gonna feel like another incomplete package like Cloud, I'll take Banjo and someone else from Bandai Namco like Lloyd or KOS-MOS instead.
I'm almost certain that he probably thinks that if he keeps claiming "SE rep", it'll come true eventually. He'll just move goalposts until it's clear that either the true one shows up (probably Geno, who fits the loosest definition of a SE character even then), or none will show up.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yes, although there haven't been any other installments at the moment since 2016. Whether they'll resume R&C once Spider-Man DLC's done is unclear.

Also, it's "reimagning", according to them, anyway.

I'm almost certain that he probably thinks that if he keeps claiming "SE rep", it'll come true eventually. He'll just move goalposts until it's clear that either the true one shows up (probably Geno, who fits the loosest definition of a SE character even then), or none will show up.
You're probably right, though personally I think Neku is actually a sleeper pick since a sequel to TWEWY is coming and is probably going to release exclusively on the switch, that or a octopath character but uh... they're still extremely unlikely in comparison to Geno regardless of him being a spirit, especially since he was planned for Brawl before SE said no.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

Also I'll just say the remnants of Master Chief supporters are split on Banjo and Steve now so... don't expect all of them turning their support to Banjo. But yeah, Steve as an AT makes way too much sense as I think I set down a case for, wouldn't stop others like Mumbo Jumbo though as some third parties have more than one assist trophy (Megaman, Somic the hedgehog).
The way I see it, Steve is severely limited as a fighter based on what he does. As an AT he's got more freedom to build shizz and do whatever they do in Minecraft. Banjo has the makings of a fighter based on his N64 moveset from Kazooie and Tooie.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Yea there's a lot of extra shiz when it comes to SE characters... I don't remember where I saw it but I remember seeing something about Square wanting Sora in Disidia but Disney said no. It's so weird they don't have 100% control over their characters... imagine Nintendo saying no to Mario being in Smash Bros. Because Miyamoto said so.... it's so odd....

I am doubting another Square Rep at this point... my money was on Geno.. and the thing is.. I understand that there's a new Dragonquest game coming to Switch in 2019 so it's a good opportunity to get it in Smash for more advertising plus a nice 3rd party rep but I honestly think it would be a slap in the face to the fanbase. Let's face it a majority of the Smash fanbase wants Geno and it's messed up if they pick a DQ character over him imo.. and if we get a SE character it's looking like thats the case and that just doesn't sit right with me... I'm not even a fan of Geno.

I'm really starting to think SE doesnt have anything coming in DLC... my money is still on Banjo, a Namco rep, and I'll admit that the glaring omission of Sylux is pretty suspect... he could easily be bundled with a Prime 4 stage and music..

The last character I'm not sure of... it could be Crash, or Dovakhin... it's just nuts to me that Nintendo omitted Arms and Xenoblade chronicle's 2 from DLC. I mean.. Clearly they didn't pick the DLC characters THAT recently or else they'd have used one of them. Hell Sakurai even seemed to have wanted to add Rex since he added the Mii outfit... Persona 5 came out in 2016.. Smash Ultimate went into development in February of 2016, so 7 months previous.. obviously the project plan was done and characters for the roster finalized at that point. I'm starting to think the DLC was chosen between late 2016 - 2017 so Nintendo spent most of 2017 acquiring rights to various characters.. I can't see it being beyond that because why else would the characters from these recent Nintendo games miss the boat if DLC was decided so recently. Plus there's no way wed have a DLC trailer already after they announced DLC a month before and didn't start work on it yet.

I think Nintendo's DLC character list was compiled relatively early in Smash Ults development. Banjo could have been decided for DLC simply due to Microsoft/Rare wanting more profits from his inclusion and Nintendo agreed. Maybe that's another reason Phil Spencer and Nintendo heads went lunch around E3 there was no rush to get the Banjo-Kazooie lisence because they knew he was DLC anyway so they waited until a convenient time to meet.

NessIsAChad

Banned via Warnings
I feel like the main reason we haven’t seen an N64 classic is because it just wouldn’t have a satisfying lineup without any Rare games

No Banjo obviously, but also no Perfect Dark, no Conker’s Bad Fur Day, no Goldeneye, no Killer Instinct, hell not even Diddy Kong Racing could be included since the original N64 version has Banjo and Conker in it and Nintendo doesn’t own the rights to either.

Probably just wishful thinking but hopefully next year Nintendo will announce they’ve sorted out all the copyright issues with Rare and got Banjo as DLC for Smash and all those Rare games for the N64 classic

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yea there's a lot of extra shiz when it comes to SE characters... I don't remember where I saw it but I remember seeing something about Square wanting Sora in Disidia but Disney said no. It's so weird they don't have 100% control over their characters... imagine Nintendo saying no to Mario being in Smash Bros. Because Miyamoto said so.... it's so odd....

I think Nintendo's DLC character list was compiled relatively early in Smash Ults development. Banjo could have been decided for DLC simply due to Microsoft/Rare wanting more profits from his inclusion and Nintendo agreed. Maybe that's another reason Phil Spencer and Nintendo heads went lunch around E3 there was no rush to get the Banjo-Kazooie lisence because they knew he was DLC anyway so they waited until a convenient time to meet.
Probably because Square almost went bankrupt at least twice, so it's getting harder for people to trust them with handling their own stuff willy-nilly. In any case, I've already been thinking we probably won't get a SE character anyway, unless a second fighter pass gets approved at some point.

That could make sense. Also, let's consider that both Reggie and Spencer have been present for the VGAs.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

I am doubting another Square Rep at this point... my money was on Geno.. and the thing is.. I understand that there's a new Dragonquest game coming to Switch in 2019 so it's a good opportunity to get it in Smash for more advertising plus a nice 3rd party rep but I honestly think it would be a slap in the face to the fanbase. Let's face it a majority of the Smash fanbase wants Geno and it's messed up if they pick a DQ character over him imo.. and if we get a SE character it's looking like thats the case and that just doesn't sit right with me... I'm not even a fan of Geno.

I'm really starting to think SE doesnt have anything coming in DLC... my money is still on Banjo, a Namco rep, and I'll admit that the glaring omission of Sylux is pretty suspect... he could easily be bundled with a Prime 4 stage and music..

The last character I'm not sure of... it could be Crash, or Dovakhin... it's just nuts to me that Nintendo omitted Arms and Xenoblade chronicle's 2 from DLC. I mean.. Clearly they didn't pick the DLC characters THAT recently or else they'd have used one of them. Hell Sakurai even seemed to have wanted to add Rex since he added the Mii outfit... Persona 5 came out in 2016.. Smash Ultimate went into development in February of 2016, so 7 months previous.. obviously the project plan was done and characters for the roster finalized at that point. I'm starting to think the DLC was chosen between late 2016 - 2017 so Nintendo spent most of 2017 acquiring rights to various characters.. I can't see it being beyond that because why else would the characters from these recent Nintendo games miss the boat if DLC was decided so recently. Plus there's no way wed have a DLC trailer already after they announced DLC a month before and didn't start work on it yet.

As a Sylux supporter I really do agree with that reasoning, but we'd at least be happy even if he was a mii costume or a spirit (truly a rare sight for a community being fine with that). But Fighter status is definitely something we'd like alongside all that Prime 4 stuff, and Reggie did say in a Gameinformer a month or two before the game awards we'd be getting Prime 4 news in 2019 so... kinda perfectly lines up.

Honestly I'm thinking the last character will also be a Nintendo character, possibly from that new IP Retrro has been working on, maybe a new FE rep that doesn't use a sword (like we've all been thinking generally), or even whoever the protagonist of Pikmin 4 is. It's honestly still a big pool to work from, while personally I'd like Bandana Dee... Sakurai seems keen on not adding any new Kirby reps so I feel like his chance is only from a ballet if we get another one. But then again... you're right that Spring-Man and Rex are the most awkward omissions ever... honestly though if that's the case it honestly baffles me Xenoblade 2 was only made within about a year.

You're probably right on the DLC stuff, though personally I still would be confused why Rex wouldn't be picked as DLC, honestly his whole situation is confusing but oh well, if we get a Namco rep I'm rooting for KOS-MOS so Xeno series fans get something, plus she's Namco's Queen of Crossovers so... yeah.

But yeah, extremely doubting anything related to SE (again though, I'd like Sora due to the sole fact he's owned by Disney and they said Nintendo only needs to give them a call but... they don't do anything with him without Nomura's words of approval so... honestly his entire thing is if Nomura is fine with it, brightside though to his inclusion would be the fact Disney actually owns the original worlds, characters, and music from the series so he'd feel complete).

But yeah, personally the remaining DLC in my opinion is in this order: Namco Bandai Rep, Nintendo character, Sylux, Banjo and Kazooie.
Also a boss smash mode or something as free DLC to make that playable Master Hand sequence more accessible to play after you beat WoL.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As a Sylux supporter I really do agree with that reasoning, but we'd at least be happy even if he was a mii costume or a spirit (truly a rare sight for a community being fine with that). But Fighter status is definitely something we'd like alongside all that Prime 4 stuff, and Reggie did say in a Gameinformer a month or two before the game awards we'd be getting Prime 4 news in 2019 so... kinda perfectly lines up.

Honestly I'm thinking the last character will also be a Nintendo character, possibly from that new IP Retrro has been working on, maybe a new FE rep that doesn't use a sword (like we've all been thinking generally), or even whoever the protagonist of Pikmin 4 is. It's honestly still a big pool to work from, while personally I'd like Bandana Dee... Sakurai seems keen on not adding any new Kirby reps so I feel like his chance is only from a ballet if we get another one. But then again... you're right that Spring-Man and Rex are the most awkward omissions ever... honestly though if that's the case it honestly baffles me Xenoblade 2 was only made within about a year.

You're probably right on the DLC stuff, though personally I still would be confused why Rex wouldn't be picked as DLC, honestly his whole situation is confusing but oh well, if we get a Namco rep I'm rooting for KOS-MOS so Xeno series fans get something, plus she's Namco's Queen of Crossovers so... yeah.

But yeah, extremely doubting anything related to SE (again though, I'd like Sora due to the sole fact he's owned by Disney and they said Nintendo only needs to give them a call but... they don't do anything with him without Nomura's words of approval so... honestly his entire thing is if Nomura is fine with it, brightside though to his inclusion would be the fact Disney actually owns the original worlds, characters, and music from the series so he'd feel complete).

But yeah, personally the remaining DLC in my opinion is in this order: Namco Bandai Rep, Nintendo character, Sylux, Banjo and Kazooie.
Also a boss smash mode or something as free DLC to make that playable Master Hand sequence more accessible to play after you beat WoL.
If he does show up as a spirit, he would have to be a DLC one. Oddly fitting too, since MP had one of the very first collectibles to be included via save data in the Melee days.

In any case, we have no idea what will happen next, so the best thing to do at this point is hang out with friends, play Ultimate, and wait and see.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Merry Christmas, Banjoroos!

After two additional weeks of waiting, I finally have access to my Switch, which means...

I CAN FINALLY PLAY SMASH ULTIMATE!!!

See you guys later tonight for my initial thoughts!

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
This is a dumb pro banjo thought but whatever it’s christmas.

I just thought about looking up Phil Spencer’s old tweets about banjo in smash, and something struck me about a tweet he sent in 2015.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024?s=20

He was asked about banjo being in smash since Nintendo was doing the character poll and his reply was it would be cool if the next ssb dlc had banjo.

What I like about his phrasing here is that he could be referring to “the next ssb” dlc. Not the next dlc for ssb4. What if banjo is coming for ultimate and he casually hinted it would be for the next installment and not for 4? They could have discussed it back in smash 4s development and decided against a deal then for whatever reason, either Microsoft wasn’t confident in the wii u’s viability or could have been sitting on a banjo plan back then. If he was planned for DLC then having a larger console install base would have made more sense. The Wii U didn’t have that, especially not in 2015 when I think it was probably barely over 10 million units after 3 years. The switch does, outpacing almost every console except the wii since it’s release in 2017.

Again this is a dumb thought but whatever I wanna hype myself up some.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is a dumb pro banjo thought but whatever it’s christmas.

I just thought about looking up Phil Spencer’s old tweets about banjo in smash, and something struck me about a tweet he sent in 2015.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024?s=20

He was asked about banjo being in smash since Nintendo was doing the character poll and his reply was it would be cool if the next ssb dlc had banjo.

What I like about his phrasing here is that he could be referring to “the next ssb” dlc. Not the next dlc for ssb4. What if banjo is coming for ultimate and he casually hinted it would be for the next installment and not for 4? They could have discussed it back in smash 4s development and decided against a deal then for whatever reason, either Microsoft wasn’t confident in the wii u’s viability or could have been sitting on a banjo plan back then. If he was planned for DLC then having a larger console install base would have made more sense. The Wii U didn’t have that, especially not in 2015 when I think it was probably barely over 10 million units after 3 years. The switch does, outpacing almost every console except the wii since it’s release in 2017.

Again this is a dumb thought but whatever I wanna hype myself up some.
Actually, it's a mostly valid thought. While they wouldn't necessarily take the Switch into account, it's obvious that it was too late to consider B-K for Smash 4, so it's likely that they simply decided to wait until the time was right.

On top of this, Spencer didn't outright deconfirm B-K like O'Connor and Suda did for their characters, which is a boon (although in Suda's case, he made a similar comment to Spencer's in regards to Travis Touchdown).

This actually crossed my mind too. Nobody even noticed but he actually phrased it in such a way that it sounds like he was actually referring to the next Smash Bros GAME’s dlc, not just the next dlc at the time. Meaning he specifically meant Banjo could be DLC, which is what we’ve all been saying makes the most sense from a business perspective. Development for Ultimate began several months after the time of this tweet, so that would’ve given Nintendo and Phil plenty of time to communicate and come to an agreement for Banjo by the time development for Ultimate began.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Probably because Square almost went bankrupt at least twice, so it's getting harder for people to trust them with handling their own stuff willy-nilly. In any case, I've already been thinking we probably won't get a SE character anyway, unless a second fighter pass gets approved at some point.

That could make sense. Also, let's consider that both Reggie and Spencer have been present for the VGAs.
Seeing as how I doubt Sora will be added I'd be 100% fine without another Square character but sadly Erdick is still the single most likely character at the moment.

Fakol

Smash Cadet
The most original racing game Donkey Kong Racing.
And a new Banjo-Kazooie game, this two game need to resuscite if Rare ip comeback to Nintendo or for a partnership.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I really did believe that Banjo could have been in the base game.. but now that I sit and think about it it does makes more sense for them to be DLC... mostly because I imagine Microsoft would want to profit more from their inclusion as that would be some nice incentive for them to be in the game.

The silence from Phil Spencer and other Rare associated folk to me is telling.. Rare is pretty active on Social Media and they never answer any Tweets that involve Banjo in Smash from what I can tell or even like them. The only reason it's strange is because they've replied to those Tweets in the past.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hey guys! Hope everyone had a merry Christmas yesterday!

As for me, I basically played Ultimate throughout the entire day and managed to unlock every fighter (except the Miis, but eh), and before I get into what I love about the game, I just have to say: Screw the Challenger Approaches system! Seriously, not only did it feel REALLY tedious unlocking 63 fighters, but some of the later fighters started feeling pretty cheap, and the rematch system added to the frustration by not always being available. Ugh, that was probably one of the most frustrating moments I've had playing Smash.

Other than that, though, the game is great! It feels great, all the characters I've played so far play great (particularly the unique newcomers), and it looks great! I'll be going more into detail about my thoughts on the returning veterans and unique newcomers later, but let me just say that they're generally pretty fun!

In the meantime, I might consider trying out World of Light today.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I actually marathoned World of Light to 100% the first 20 hours I had the game. I unlocked all of the characters that way, but really wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to jump into the game and have fun =P I've heard the Challenger fights are pretty challenging though!

World of Light isn't bad, but it's long. A little too long, imo, but it's nice for people that want a solo experience.

I recently got the last couple spirits I was missing, just have about 20 Classic mode runs to go through and then it'll be Online mode until the community dies down or the next game comes out, hah.

I think the game is super fun, glad you're liking it!

Mr. Stagg

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ate-jokers-reveal-getting-some-rest-and-more/

I think we got some final nails in the leakers coffins here, namely Hitagi. Sakurai plainly states that the Joker DLC was not even in development after his reveal. Hitagi had no credibility to begin with and this blows out his Steve claim since he claimed he saw gameplay of him. Big takeaway here is that no one knows who the 4 DLC fighters are. I know the leakers are full of hot air, I just relish in them further getting their credibility destroyed.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ate-jokers-reveal-getting-some-rest-and-more/

I think we got some final nails in the leakers coffins here, namely Hitagi. Sakurai plainly states that the Joker DLC was not even in development after his reveal. Hitagi had no credibility to begin with and this blows out his Steve claim since he claimed he saw gameplay of him. Big takeaway here is that no one knows who the 4 DLC fighters are. I know the leakers are full of hot air, I just relish in them further getting their credibility destroyed.
So based on this info, everyone who isn't an assist trophy, poké ball, or (maybe, maybe not, but I'm leaning towards maybe) a spirit has equal chances?

Except Joker (confirmed), Travis and Master Chief (deconfirmed by developers), and characters Nintendo probably has no idea about (TF2 mercs for example), they have 100%, 0%, and 0.000000000000000000537% chances respectively.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So based on this info, everyone who isn't an assist trophy, poké ball, or (maybe, maybe not, but I'm leaning towards maybe) a spirit has equal chances?

Except Joker (confirmed), Travis and Master Chief (deconfirmed by developers), and characters Nintendo probably has no idea about (TF2 mercs for example), they have 100%, 0%, and 0.000000000000000000537% chances respectively.
I mean personally even though I doubt they'd get picked I wouldn't say Nintendo doesn't know the mercs, after all it's TF2 has been a popular PC game since 2007 and they have valve stuff on their systems, if you truly want someone Nintendo probably doesn't know about I'd be saying the main character from one of the games on like the very bottom of the steam charts or one of the niche games that aren't on Nintendo systems like Fairy Fencer F (putting aside they're made by the same company that makss Neptunia which is getting its first game on a Nintendo system next year).

Though I am glad that pretty much makes all DLC leakers debunk though uh... gotta say I'm curious of when the development of the trailer started... we also don't know exactly when this conversation had taken place other than knowing it was before the game awards. Nonetheless I do hope they do more proper trailers for characters that are apart of the DLC.

The only way Hitagi and the others could still be right is if Nintendo completely disregarded how far in development Steve and the Square character were and just decided to announce Joker as the first DLC instead. And I don’t really see the logic behind making a brand new character release first instead of the other 2 that are basically finished

Fakol

Smash Cadet
You guys think Phil Spencer and Reggie get a discution for smash bros?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
After Banjo-Kazooie gets in, I don't know what I would want with this series anymore... so I kinda hope they keep stringing me along and announce him last, because I don't want to not speculate and hype and talk among friendly folk for what could be next, and y'know, I'm gonna miss it.

But then again, once Banjo-Kazooie gets in, I'll be too busy playing as them that I won't care anymore. I'll be satisfied, I'll be content... it's the end of things, might as well enjoy it.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If Banjo-Kazooie get in.. my Smash life is complete... the only characters I could fathom wanting beyond that is Dixie and Piggy Ganon from ALttP. That's it.. my character list is dried up after those two...and they're not needs.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Heihatchi could work in smash I mean Street Fighter X Tekken put Heihatchi in a 2D fighter & if Ryu could be put into smash from a 2D fighter then so can Heihatchi IMO

As for sylux, porky & other characters who are not spirites, I don't think it means there going to be fighters but spirites added later to promote a game or added latter just becuse like partner pikachu & eevee or the limited time mario spirite events going on soon BUT thats just my thoughts on it

Mr. Stagg

How do y'all feel about the light hype surrounding Agumon? Digimon's got a new game in 2019 on switch so that could set up a reveal for a digi-rep. Not to distract here but I've been seeing a little following for him. I'd get behind that as a foil for Pokemon since Digimon was the quintessential rival for Pokemon.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
How do y'all feel about the light hype surrounding Agumon? Digimon's got a new game in 2019 on switch so that could set up a reveal for a digi-rep. Not to distract here but I've been seeing a little following for him. I'd get behind that as a foil for Pokemon since Digimon was the quintessential rival for Pokemon.
With Bandai Namco being the main developer it could possibly happen, As a huge Pokemon fan It would be badass to finally see Pikachu throwdown with Agumon, I followed Digimon somewhat until the 3rd season/generation, But I was always more of a Pokemon guy growing up. Agumon was my favorite from the original and is the mascot for the franchise and his digivolutions could make for an interesting fighter like digivolving into Greymon mid-match or his final smash could be Metal Greymon, I would also love to see Guilmon too since he was my favorite from season 3 (Tamers)

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Personally... I don't care at all and I feel like there are way more unique and interesting Bandai Namco reps you could pick from, personally I think KOS-MOS but I guess you cause say I'm extra biased since I'm a Xeno-series fan and well... basically alol our other reps are kinda deconfirmed... Elma is a spirit alongside the key members of XBCX and the rest of XBC1, Rex and Nia are Costumes while also being spirits like, Mythra, Poppi, Zeke, Mòrag, and Tora. No way would Square let them use Fei, the protagonist of Xenogears since for some reason they're super duper extra overprotective over an IP they don't even use (rip Fei, only protagonist not in XBC2). So that just leaves KOS-MOS as an opportunity as she's the protagonist of Xenosaga and is the only one besides T-elos that actively make modern appearances due to the fact Namco likes shoving them into any crossover event they can and while the do do that, it'd be unexpected for Smash fans since she isn't really popular into the general speculation of the whole community outside the speculation community of the community. Plus I mean... who else can wield a mini gun while also having an arm blade and among other weapons alongside shooting a laser from their torso? Honestly only Namco rep I /really/ want alongside her being one of the remaining Xeno series reps that could work... but as an alternative I could see Lloyd from Tales Of.

Don't think Heiatchi is going to happen for reasons discussed, moveset is too complex for Smash and his VA is dead.

Katamari Prince is apart of PAC-MAN's taunts alongside Heitachi and well... I think he works better as an assist trophy if he were to get a promotion of some kind.

Smash Bro 25

Smash Rookie
Take a look at Rare's last tweet wishing Merry Christmas. Look at the clouds. It's like a tease, since they say they're looking forward to what 2019 has to bring.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The only way Hitagi and the others could still be right is if Nintendo completely disregarded how far in development Steve and the Square character were and just decided to announce Joker as the first DLC instead. And I don’t really see the logic behind making a brand new character release first instead of the other 2 that are basically finished
I got the impression from the way he talked that Nintendo did tell them to announce Joker at the VGA where they might not have normally, if I had to guess Joker would have normally been announced after the rumored P5 port to Switch launched so he wouldn't be such controversial pick but Nintendo saw the opportunity for some great PR and a way to drum up interest in the P5 port so its super hyped when they announce it.

Obvious that doesn't mean anything towards how far along any of the other characters were or anything like that, just a possible explanation.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I got the impression from the way he talked that Nintendo did tell them to announce Joker at the VGA where they might not have normally, if I had to guess Joker would have normally been announced after the rumored P5 port to Switch launched so he wouldn't be such controversial pick but Nintendo saw the opportunity for some great PR and a way to drum up interest in the P5 port so its super hyped when they announce it.

Obvious that doesn't mean anything towards how far along any of the other characters were or anything like that, just a possible explanation.
I actually was thinking that as I read the article as well. He didn't say that none of the other characters are developed at all. Now, Sakurai didn't clearly indicate that to be the case, so it very well may be they haven't worked on any of the other characters yet, but I still consider it very much in the realm of possibilities that one of the other characters (Steve or anyone else) has been worked on to a point of being somewhat playable.

I've always loved Digimon and loved Digimon Rumble Arena 2 with a passion, so I'd be cool with Agumon. I think though I'd love Don-Chan from Taiko no Tatsujin (太鼓の達人) more. I played the heck out of that when I was in Japan and have most of the DS / PSP releases as well as the two that actually were released stateside this year.

Top Bottom