• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Hey,

This isn't me trying to discourage any Banjo fans because I myself would scream if he was announced, but I noticed that Sakurai said this regarding Banjo in Melee (I don't visit this thread too often so forgive me if this is something that's been mentioned a thousand times already):

“Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that’s unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons.”

With 3rd party characters being regular additions since Brawl and Phil Spencer giving the thumbs up on Xbox's end, do you guys think that Sakurai's statement still holds up?
I would like to hope that it would be much easier to bring the bear and bird into Smash Ultimate more than during Melee, Brawl, & Wii U/3DS' era thanks to so many hurdles being overcome since even the last installments of Smash, with Phil Spencer and Xbox's obvious support, a huge amount of fans supporting the characters on the ballot alongside such big names as Ridley, King K. Rool, Issac, and Geno which has been confirmed to be a source of newcomers for Sakurai's choices in Ultimate, Nintendo and Xbox being pretty buddy buddy lately with crossplay on Minecraft and Fortnite, the characters originally hailing from Nintendo consoles with Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, and Banjo-Pilot (making them comparable to the likes of Mega Man and Simon Belmont as third-party characters originating on Nintendo consoles as well compared to characters like Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Cloud, and Bayonetta who started on other consoles), and of course just being such perfect fits in every possible way for Smash with a plethora of material to include in Smash such as moves from their titles, stages, music, collectible trophies, etc. Let's hope they make it in as at least DLC.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah you have to remember sakurai made that statment during the buyout so icluding them back then was imposible

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
The waiting is killing me, but thank god time is moving so quickly, I mean its almost halloween! and before you know it, Thanksgiving will be done and over with and the next thing we see is that beautiful game in our hands.

(hopefully with the beloved bear and bird of course)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Agumon or GTFO! No other character is as iconic of Bandai in my mind.
Finally having Pokemon vs Digimon !!!

That would be badass, Agumon was my favorite from the original and Guilmon was another of my favorites from Generation 3. While I was a Pokemon maniac growing up, I got decently into Digimon too in the late 90's and early 2000's right until the 3rd generation.

Having Agumon digivolve into Greymon mid match would be awesome and his Final Smash could be evolving into his Ultimate or Mega evolution Metal Greymon or Wargreymon, Though I would prefer Metal Greymon.

Last edited:

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Saw this post on another forum, they speak the truth.

I feel like there's a good amount of people (mostly younger folk) who don't know how big a deal Banjo and Kazooie was within Nintendo's history. Felt like making this little image history post since there's not much else going on!

This is NoA headquarters circa 2002:

Near the entrance they got a mural with Banjo and Mumbo chillin' alongside Luigi and Blastoise.

Banjo was one of the mascots on the N64 console retail box: (I believe the second revision)

He was a big push behind the scenes at Nintendo

Universal Acclaim from the West and Japan and still heralded as one of the best 3D platformers to this day.

So yea I'm just crossing my fingers here that Nintendo and Microsoft come up with a deal for DLC. He deserves to be in with his history and success with Nintendo alone.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Unless you are being a contrarian or are just too young (or even too old) it is hard to legitimately argue against Banjo and Kazooie in a Smash game. They are honestly on a similar level to Mega Man, albeit Mega Nan is a bit higher due to having more games.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Finally having Pokemon vs Digimon !!!
That would be badass, Agumon was my favorite from the original and Guilmon was another of my favorites from Generation 3. While I was a Pokemon maniac growing up, I got decently into Digimon too in the late 90's and early 2000's right until the 3rd generation.
Having Agumon digivolve into Greymon mid match would be awesome and his Final Smash could be evolving into his Ultimate or Mega evolution Metal Greymon or Wargreymon, Though I would prefer Metal Greymon.
Personally, while I really enjoyed Pokemon, I found the llof holes that came with it's second generation too large to ignore and instantly picked up on the fact that they were going to invalidate Ash's whole quest by releasing Pokemon faster than he could catch them. Digimon had my full attention by the time it's second series aired.
Since then, I have watched everything up to the start of season 7 and genuinely enjoyed everything pre-6 but 3 only aired a few episodes where I lived so I only got to watch it as an adult and 4 was, admittedly, a bit of a quality dip.

Regarding Metal Greymon VS WarGreymon, I feel like that comes down to what direction Sakurai wishes to take with the character as, IIRC, WarGreymon was introduced by the anime, while Metal was thd final form of the original V-pet.

This talk should probably be moved to the Agumon support thread, though.

Unless you are being a contrarian or are just too young (or even too old) it is hard to legitimately argue against Banjo and Kazooie in a Smash game. They are honestly on a similar level to Mega Man, albeit Mega NaN is a bit higher due to having more games.
I want to argue with this, since Megaman is a classic gaming icon who represents a genre, while Banjo Kazooie is my childhood nostalgia game. Looking at it objectively, though, I'm not sure I can.

No-one is as much a face of collectathon platformers as Banjo is and no other genre was as iconic to the N64 era. Banjo and Kazooie showcase everything it had to offer in terms of colourful, wacky, childish fun, while still being able to cover serious themes and still being highly recognised today.

Sure, they're basically a dead franchise but so was Mega Man before UFS and Smash got their hands on him. And Pacman is basically just rehashing one game over and over. Banjo's "death" was far more glamourous than that. With better ownership, there's no reason BK couldn't return but the fact that the duo are currently tied to one era probably benefits their chances, if anything.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Personally, while I really enjoyed Pokemon, I found the llof holes that came with it's second generation too large to ignore and instantly picked up on the fact that they were going to invalidate Ash's whole quest by releasing Pokemon faster than he could catch them. Digimon had my full attention by the time it's second series aired.
Since then, I have watched everything up to the start of season 7 and genuinely enjoyed everything pre-6 but 3 only aired a few episodes where I lived so I only got to watch it as an adult and 4 was, admittedly, a bit of a quality dip.

Regarding Metal Greymon VS WarGreymon, I feel like that comes down to what direction Sakurai wishes to take with the character as, IIRC, WarGreymon was introduced by the anime, while Metal was thd final form of the original V-pet.

This talk should probably be moved to the Agumon support thread, though.
I was gonna suggest that myself. This is a Banjo-Kazooie thread. Please keep all topics related to Banjo-Kazooie & Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seriously, they should’ve been in this series from Melee. Then we wouldn’t even be having to worry about their inclusion in Smash.
Well even if they did make it into Melee, they would have been cut from Brawl due to the buyout of Rare from Microsoft the following year after Melee.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Well even if they did make it into Melee, they would have been cut from Brawl due to the buyout of Rare from Microsoft the following year after Melee.
But they'd be back in Ultimate! Everyone is here!

IDK, you know. We didn't get proper flight until Brawl so perhaps Melee wouldn't have been what was best for them.
They could've just given them a floaty ability like Kirby and Jigglypuff. To be fair, a lot of characters were clones and didn't have a lot of their own stuff to work with in Melee due to time constraints. Either way, hopefully Ultimate gives them the chance to shine and come to Smash in a way to honor their 3D platforming roots on Nintendo.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah but if they where in melee sakurai would of had to jump through hoops to get them in ultimate B/C "everyone is here" would of included banjo :p

if only the buyout happened after melee

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
yeah but if they where in melee sakurai would of had to jump through hoops to get them in ultimate B/C "everyone is here" would of included banjo :p

if only the buyout happened after melee
Technically it did, But little did we know the buyout was going to happen a little under a year later.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Seriously, they should’ve been in this series from Melee. Then we wouldn’t even be having to worry about their inclusion in Smash.
I agree they should have been. Though, you can also think of it this way--if they are included in Ultimate, our hype would be so much bigger now than it would have been back then. Back then it was an "obvious inclusion" as Sakurai said and it would have been nice. Now, it would be Sakurai making the impossible possible and making a decades long wait finally payoff.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I agree they should have been. Though, you can also think of it this way--if they are included in Ultimate, our hype would be so much bigger now than it would have been back then. Back then it was an "obvious inclusion" as Sakurai said and it would have been nice. Now, it would be Sakurai making the impossible possible and making a decades long wait finally payoff.
In my opinion they are literally the last big "Nintendo" characters left to make the roster, Even on Reddit and some youtubers agree that they would be the perfect final reveal before launch.

I mean really try to think about it who is really left from possible newcomers wise that can bring that much hype ? Pretty much all of video games major icons are in the game and there isn't much star power left out there, The next tier/level down below "Icons" would be what I like to call the "All-Stars" characters (Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Rayman) While not as legendary or iconic as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man they are still well known characters from successful franchises that still left their mark.

Banjo-Kazooie is the one that means the most out of the 4 to Nintendo and their history and would make the biggest impact just because no one would of thought they would be possible and without a doubt would be Sakurai's most impressive inclusion in Smash history.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Something I was thinking about heavily during the last direct before Isabelle's reveal was the revelation of several Final Fantasy games being ported onto the Nintendo Switch including Final Fantasy VII being on a Nintendo console for the very first time. And the only reason I could think of as to how that was possible was Cloud's inclusion in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & Nintendo 3DS and Ultimate. If Cloud Strife who, before Smash, had never had an official Nintendo appearance outside of some spinoff titles, is able to get new releases on the Nintendo Switch, imagine how amazing it would be to have Banjo-Kazooie return to Nintendo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and then working with Microsoft, have rereleases of Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie? Even Nuts n' Bolts I'd be willing to play as part of a collection on the Nintendo Switch if it meant having them on a Nintendo console that we could take on the go! Banjo-Kazooie getting into Smash NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Otherwise, I see no prospective future for them.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah the only character that could be as big as banjo IMO would be Sora from KH as depending on how Disney views it marketing wise & what they allow for the stage, assit trophys , items & trophys or even story mode intergation could be HUGE if Disney plays ball like letting micky donald & goofy in some way or even other IP to market them of corse this is a best case senario for them

I could see sora as DLC to promote KH3 tho he has a big following

other then that Banjo is by far THE bigest most wanted Impossible character & altho not a true banjo-threeiee would bring closure to many fans hearts

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah banjo being in smash is more then him being smash but the only way to maybe bring him back from the dead or even make M$ realise that there is $ in bring banjo to nintendo systems

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
yeah the only character that could be as big as banjo IMO would be Sora from KH as depending on how Disney views it marketing wise & what they allow for the stage, assit trophys , items & trophys or even story mode intergation could be HUGE if Disney plays ball like letting micky donald & goofy in some way or even other IP to market them of corse this is a best case senario for them

I could see sora as DLC to promote KH3 tho he has a big following

other then that Banjo is by far THE bigest most wanted Impossible character & altho not a true banjo-threeiee would bring closure to many fans hearts
That's one of the main reasons I personally do not want Sora in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I hate the idea of Disney invading Smash/Nintendo universe with 4th Party Characters, Not to mention it would open up the floodgates of other stupid and annoying fan requests that don't make sense and having Disney on board would steal some thunder and main focus of Super Smash Bros and that is the celebration of Nintendo history and to a lesser extent video game history as as a whole.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not sure who has the rights, since the Kingdom Hearts series is a Disney/Square Enix collaboration but, either way, no character originating from a film should be in Smash. Sora is fine, if questionable, but his buddies are absolutely not.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Getting off topic again, guys. You wanna talk about Sora, head to the Sora thread. Banjo & Kazooie are the name of the game here!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm not sure who has the rights, since the Kingdom Hearts series is a Disney/Square Enix collaboration but, either way, no character originating from a film should be in Smash. Sora is fine, if questionable, but his buddies are absolutely not.
It's Disney 100%. Square had no legal stake in any original content in KH.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Getting off topic again, guys. You wanna talk about Sora, head to the Sora thread. Banjo & Kazooie are the name of the game here!
Sorry, I'll address your other post then:

They could've just given them a floaty ability like Kirby and Jigglypuff. To be fair, a lot of characters were clones and didn't have a lot of their own stuff to work with in Melee due to time constraints. Either way, hopefully Ultimate gives them the chance to shine and come to Smash in a way to honor their 3D platforming roots on Nintendo.
This sounds all kinds of wrong to me. Banjo is not light and floaty, he falls with force. He has one big jump, not many small ones. And Kazooie's flutter flap(?) only prolongs that jump once without her actually flying. That's not recovery material and it's definitely not an excuse for Kirby or Dedede style puffball mechanics.
Combine that with the possibility of a Ganondorf-style no effort moveset being thrust upon them for the entire series lifetime due to Melee's time constraints and I think not being in Melee might have been best for the duo. Not being in Brawl, however, is a real shame. Had we seen a real Banjo-Threeie, they would have still been relatively current at the time and they would have worked a lot better with Brawl's innovations in place.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Sorry, I'll address your other post then:

This sounds all kinds of wrong to me. Banjo is not light and floaty, he falls with force. He has one big jump, not many small ones. And Kazooie's flutter flap(?) only prolongs that jump once without her actually flying. That's not recovery material and it's definitely not an excuse for Kirby or Dedede style puffball mechanics.
Combine that with the possibility of a Ganondorf-style no effort moveset being thrust upon them for the entire series lifetime due to Melee's time constraints and I think not being in Melee might have been best for the duo. Not being in Brawl, however, is a real shame. Had we seen a real Banjo-Threeie, they would have still been relatively current at the time and they would have worked a lot better with Brawl's innovations in place.
Just trying to figure out how they could've implemented Banjo in Melee. Obviously they wouldn't do that in Ultimate. I feel like maybe they'd have a slight variation of Peach's or the Super Leaf floating mechanism that descends a bit like in their games with the Feathery Flap to prolong their horizontal leaps. I feel like their recovery could be something like Pit's recovery move in Brawl or Villager's recovery move with the flight pad. And Beak Bomb could be their side b and function similarly to Pikachu's Skull Bash, Luigi's Green Missile, etc.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
You are definitely right, Let's try to focus on Banjo-Kazooie , But kind of funny you bring it up now since we have been getting off topic for months when we talked all we can of the bear & bird.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Anyways back to Banjo-Kazooie, Since we are on the topic of pictures of Nintendo marketing the duo, Here is another one I found of Official Nintendo plushie merchandise from 1998.
DpST8U2U0AE0wvj.jpg

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Anyways back to Banjo-Kazooie, Since we are on the topic of pictures of Nintendo marketing the duo, Here is another one I found of Official Nintendo plushie merchandise from 1998.
View attachment 171321
I still have that Bowser (the small one) :,) with one eyebrow almost falling off, man so good memories. I can't believe I never found the BK plush oh well at least I still got the action figure, no kazooie tho.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Just trying to figure out how they could've implemented Banjo in Melee. Obviously they wouldn't do that in Ultimate. I feel like maybe they'd have a slight variation of Peach's or the Super Leaf floating mechanism that descends a bit like in their games with the Feathery Flap to prolong their horizontal leaps. I feel like their recovery could be something like Pit's recovery move in Brawl or Villager's recovery move with the flight pad. And Beak Bomb could be their side b and function similarly to Pikachu's Skull Bash, Luigi's Green Missile, etc.
Copypasta from Banjo-Kazooie, you got a Smash ready moveset. :rotfl:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Copypasta from Banjo-Kazooie, you got a Smash ready moveset. :rotfl:
Their moveset was practically built for Smash and is the deepest to pull material from compared to most potential newcomers, I also love how Tooie got ambitious and really expanded upon their moveset off the first game. (Breegull Bash, Bill Drill, Grenade Eggs, Talon Torpedo, Bregull Blaster Mode) are some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So, uh... how bout this?
Perfect Dark is the only other Rare IP listed on the site. No Goldeneye, no Conker.

Could they be heading to N64 Mini, or Smash? (PD could very easily be a trophy or AT to spiritually represent Goldeneye... and to bring back Cloaking Device from Melee!)

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie don't have potential for a moveset, they have for at least two. In Tooie was insane.

Top Bottom