• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
That being said, if they aren't in the base roster, they aren't being planned as DLC yet, as it's been said they don't work on DLC until the game is finished. And part of me does worry they may not do DLC, as they may see Ultimate as the complete package, but hopefully not, or if they do, Nintendo's love of money wins out in the end.
Nintendo lies about things all the time, like how they said the 3DS Zelda remakes were built from the ground up with all new assets. They did this to sound nice and noble, when in reality speedrunners found N64 assets and code everywhere showing Nintendo went a cheaper route.

In a similar vain I promise you, Sakurai is thinking ahead with DLC. Sure work probably hasn't been done on them yet, but Sakurai had to look at all the characters people voted for, and decide which characters needed to be in the base roster and how many he could fit within the deadline. If several characters just barely missed the cut, he likely has a memo on the side for characters he is anticipating to work on for DLC and will begin work once the main game is complete. The only other possibility is if DLC crosses his mind Sakurai just blocks all his own internal thoughts which obviously doesn't happen. The man has a very creative and active brain, the idea he hasn't been planning Ultimate's DLC campaign for a while is just unrealistic.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I can guarantee that's unlikely.

This game is meant to last the entirety of the Switch lifespan. Expect DLC, expect lots of it. 1-2 years worth.
Minecraft may be a big IP in gaming as a whole, but I would not doubt that Banjo-Kazooie is way more popular within the Smash community.

There is a part of me that thinks they won't do DLC or barely any, because of the amount of content that's already included, but from a business perspective it would be pretty stupid that they don't take advantage of the amount of sales and install base this game is going to have.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I can guarantee that's unlikely.

This game is meant to last the entirety of the Switch lifespan. Expect DLC, expect lots of it. 1-2 years worth.
I hope both points are true. For the former, I'm seeing Steve brought up much more, with some suggesting Steve over B&K, which I find ridiculous. But some polls show Steve on the radar, which they weren't in 2015, though B&K is still usually in the top 10, which is a good sign. I hope I'm just misreading the polls and general atmosphere. As for the latter, I do expect DLC--but Sakurai can be unpredictable, and I want to remain cautious. Ideally, Smash would become a game as a service with DLC characters and stages for years. It's the perfect opportunity for that and what I had hoped for prior to E3, but dropped it for being too pie-in-the-sky. :joyful:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
People often have a bad relationship with DLC, which i understand. But Smash is a once in a lifetime gaming crossover and fan pleasing event, if any game deserves DLC its Smash Ultimate with the idea it could be the biggest the Smash series ever gets. Sakurai has stated Ultimate's main theme is "inclusion". This means including all the previous game's characters and including fan favorite newcomers and stages. DLC is an opportunity at more inclusion and tons of money. It could mean including a rival companies character

With so much content in the base game, unlike other fighting games like Street Fighter 5, nobody should feel they are being ripped off, even if this game had nearly $100 worth of DLC, how can it not be worth it if that DLC is nothing but fan favorite characters getting their one chance at glory. Its not like the DLC will be veterns or stupid little things cut out of the main game for profit. Smash deserves DLC and deserves my money more than 99% of all other DLC in existance.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Seems Mad Monster Mansion is a favorite of many--not surprising, as it's easily one of the coolest and most creative in the series. There's just so much to love about it!

On the other end of the spectrum, not seeing too much live for Gobi's Desert. I get why, though.

I must be one of the few who wasn't too big on Click Clock. The mechanic was cool, but I found having to constantly head back to the entrance to change seasons tedious, especially when trying to collect everything. That and climbing that darned tree...I died so many times falling off that thing, lol.
I actually really enjoyed Gobi's Desert and the references to it in Tooie, it just wasn't quite as great as Freezeezy Peak or my absolute favourite, Treasure Trove Cove.

From the second game, I probably have to go with Terydactyland but Glitter Gulch Mine is a close second and Hailfire Peaks is for me what it sounds like Click Clock Wood was for you. I remember it fondly because of the gimmick but it's just so frustrating to actually play that it ruins it. The snowball is 100% the best transformation, though.

Banjo doesn't even have new moves in Grunty's
Overhead Pack Wack disagrees. I say we use that as F or D smash and then reskin the original to use the wrench for an aerial. Then you've got the entire rest of the moveset for the two games that people actually care about, even if I personally loved the handheld one.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I actually really enjoyed Gobi's Desert and the references to it in Tooie, it just wasn't quite as great as Freezeezy Peak or my absolute favourite, Treasure Trove Cove.

From the second game, I probably have to go with Terydactyland but Glitter Gulch Mine is a close second and Hailfire Peaks is for me what it sounds like Click Clock Wood was for you. I remember it fondly because of the gimmick but it's just so frustrating to actually play that it ruins it. The snowball is 100% the best transformation, though.

Overhead Pack Wack disagrees. I say we use that as F or D smash and then reskin the original to use the wrench for an aerial. Then you've got the entire rest of the moveset for the two games that people actually care about, even if I personally loved the handheld one.
Not a bad idea, I personally would love to see Bregull Bash as the Forward Smash and Banjo's Pack Whack Spin as the Down Smash( Could also work for Neutral Air) or Kazooie's Wing Whack Spin also for Neutral Air Attack.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think that B&K are the only characters that could top Ridley and K Rool at this point for an announcement for the base roster. It would be slightly disappointing if they don't make the base roster, but I want them in Smash in any capacity. I do think if they don't make it into the base roster, they have an even bigger chance as DLC--but I worry as most polls coming out in 2018 seem to show they have less popularity than they did in 2015, and Steve's popularity is much bigger (how, I don't have any clue--he's not a Smash-worthy character). Hope I'm wrong, though. That being said, if they aren't in the base roster, they aren't being planned as DLC yet, as it's been said they don't work on DLC until the game is finished. And part of me does worry they may not do DLC, as they may see Ultimate as the complete package, but hopefully not, or if they do, Nintendo's love of money wins out in the end.
Well Nintendo are a business, and adding even more characters to this already legendary hype game would easily net them some dough.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I for one would like some form of Nuts and Bolts acknowledgement. It's a good game and I don't want it entirely forgotten. I wouldn't even mind a vehicular final smash. But at least the wrench as a grab or taunt.

Clearly Kazooie and Tooie should take priority for inspiration though.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Not a bad idea, I personally would love to see Bregull Bash as the Forward Smash and Banjo's Pack Whack Spin as the Down Smash( Could also work for Neutral Air) or Kazooie's Wing Whack Spin also for Neutral Air Attack.
I don't know if, out of context, Breegull Bash would show the duo's dynamic in the best light but I have always pictured them with some form of Wing Whack. Mostly the basic sort as a D-tilt, if I'm honest, so that Banjo can remain crouched. Kazooie moves do make extra sense in the air, though, and the spin would be right at home as an aerial Pack Wack replacement.

Perhaps Pack Whack could be a side special using both its forms and the wrench could act as a smash attack? Maybe even mimicking the attack of the wrench weilding enemies in one of the first two games?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't know if, out of context, Breegull Bash would show the duo's dynamic in the best light but I have always pictured them with some form of Wing Whack. Mostly the basic sort as a D-tilt, if I'm honest, so that Banjo can remain crouched. Kazooie moves do make extra sense in the air, though, and the spin would be right at home as an aerial Pack Wack replacement.

Perhaps Pack Whack could be a side special using both its forms and the wrench could act as a smash attack? Maybe even mimicking the attack of the wrench weilding enemies in one of the first two games?
I always pictured Beak Barge/Bomb as the Side Special, Down tilt as a quick beak thrust similar to Duck Hunt if I'm not mistaken.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I always pictured Beak Barge/Bomb as the Side Special, Down tilt as a quick beak thrust similar to Duck Hunt if I'm not mistaken.
Beak Barge should be their down tilt and it could function similar to Mega Man, Cloud, and Simon Belmont/Richter's down tilts, except instead of a kick, its Kazooie barging with her beak! Beak Bomb should totally be their side special, akin to Charizard's Flare Blitz where it's got a quick start up and could possibly do some recoil damage. Also be great for a horizontal recovery, since they should definitely have great recovery capabilities.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
People often have a bad relationship with DLC, which i understand. But Smash is a once in a lifetime gaming crossover and fan pleasing event, if any game deserves DLC its Smash Ultimate with the idea it could be the biggest the Smash series ever gets. Sakurai has stated Ultimate's main theme is "inclusion". This means including all the previous game's characters and including fan favorite newcomers and stages. DLC is an opportunity at more inclusion and tons of money. It could mean including a rival companies character

With so much content in the base game, unlike other fighting games like Street Fighter 5, nobody should feel they are being ripped off, even if this game had nearly $100 worth of DLC, how can it not be worth it if that DLC is nothing but fan favorite characters getting their one chance at glory. Its not like the DLC will be veterns or stupid little things cut out of the main game for profit. Smash deserves DLC and deserves my money more than 99% of all other DLC in existance.
Best part is this time, DLC won't focus on bringing back 3 older characters, can hopefully focus on "lesser" icons compared to Ryu or Cloud, or avoid forced promotion type characters like Corrin or Bayonetta, which were clearly not asked by the fan base lol.

Basically, if any of the popular characters that have been remotely discussed the past few months (Isaac, Banjo, Geno, etc) do not make it into the base game, I hope these are the first choices for DLC. Smash ultimate has one chance to be truly Ultimate by the end of its DLC lifetime. We may never have another game with every character and will once again have to worry about having Cuts.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I've thought about making this as a way of expressing my feelings of Banjo & Kazooie in Smash for a while now, but finally made it. I find it to be a fitting tribute.

They should do this at the end of a direct or something. After the characters have been announced and put into the artwork, all of a sudden it separates into a jigsaw puzzle and Banjo gets announced!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They should do this at the end of a direct or something. After the characters have been announced and put into the artwork, all of a sudden it separates into a jigsaw puzzle and Banjo gets announced!
Oh christ, I feel like I'd lose my voice from all the "OH NO! OH NOOOOO!!s" and unintelligible screaming as everything starting coming together. I already did enough of that for the K. Rool reveal, I can't even *imagine* how that'd make me feel!

I neeeed it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Beak Barge should be their down tilt and it could function similar to Mega Man, Cloud, and Simon Belmont/Richter's down tilts, except instead of a kick, its Kazooie barging with her beak! Beak Bomb should totally be their side special, akin to Charizard's Flare Blitz where it's got a quick start up and could possibly do some recoil damage. Also be great for a horizontal recovery, since they should definitely have great recovery capabilities.
Beak Barge has always been one of the duo's more destructive moves. It doesn't strike me as tilt material in that respect, even if the motion is right for it.

ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 's suggestion of combining it with Beak Bomb sounds perfect to me, though. I'd never thought of it but they really do work like air and ground versions of the same move and they do both feel special-worthy.
The Beak Bomb acting like Flare Blitz makes sense in some ways, too. It's not got the fire effect of Charizard's move but recoil damage on collision is, IIRC, 100% canon. As is the ability to fly way too far and kill one's self.
Just how do we tie the self harm into Beak Barge properly?

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Beak Barge has always been one of the duo's more destructive moves. It doesn't strike me as tilt material in that respect, even if the motion is right for it.

ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 's suggestion of combining it with Beak Bomb sounds perfect to me, though. I'd never thought of it but they really do work like air and ground versions of the same move and they do both feel special-worthy.
The Beak Bomb acting like Flare Blitz makes sense in some ways, too. It's not got the fire effect of Charizard's move but recoil damage on collision is, IIRC, 100% canon. As is the ability to fly way too far and kill one's self.
Just how do we tie the self harm into Beak Barge properly?
I could see that I suppose, it just always felt like a down tilt move to me. It could have pretty great knockback for a down tilt I think.

Bozikins

Smash Rookie
It was already mentioned a few pages back but I want to see you guys submit a level design for Banjo-Kazooie over at the Stage Creation Contest thread, even if you've already posted something here. Going to have mine ready this week. I believe you have until Friday so get going BK fans!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thanks dude, was sorely in need of that deadline mention. I'll do my best to get something submitted but, be warned, I made a name for myself with my especially odd picks in the pre-4 contest. When asked to tackle pokemon I made a pinball table.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I originally thought that Square Enix were difficult to work with too....but I have heard that the reason the game only has two Final Fantasy songs is because of licensing issues (apparently some guy who owns the license is very difficult to work with) and that's made me think that it's not Square Enix themselves who are hard to work with.

I mean they did allow various Mii costumes to be included in the game, so that's something.
Uematsu is not difficult to work with, he's expensive. Mostly because he's a world-famous composer and he's freelance now, so you gotta pay good money for him. He actually composed Brawl's main theme, so he has history with Sakurai as it is, and much of the music he composed (including the songs in Smash) was in Final Fantasy 15 as well. I don't think Uematsu would ever make his music exceedingly difficult to get. There's a YouTube video that has the full FF7 OST in one upload, and it has over 2 million views, yet he hasn't even had it taken down. I had the privilege of meeting this man one time at a comic convention in Rochester, and even though they say "don't meet your heroes", he was an awesome guy and I was basically fangirling. I'm gonna go on a hunch and say Mr. Uematsu is not the problem. I think they're waiting to release more FF7 music in a later direct alongside an AT reveal, or possibly even a playable Sephiroth reveal.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Uematsu is not difficult to work with, he's expensive. Mostly because he's a world-famous composer and he's freelance now, so you gotta pay good money for him. He actually composed Brawl's main theme, so he has history with Sakurai as it is, and much of the music he composed (including the songs in Smash) was in Final Fantasy 15 as well. I don't think Uematsu would ever make his music exceedingly difficult to get. There's a YouTube video that has the full FF7 OST in one upload, and it has over 2 million views, yet he hasn't even had it taken down. I had the privilege of meeting this man one time at a comic convention in Rochester, and even though they say "don't meet your heroes", he was an awesome guy and I was basically fangirling. I'm gonna go on a hunch and say Mr. Uematsu is not the problem. I think they're waiting to release more FF7 music in a later direct alongside an AT reveal, ot possibly even a playable Sephiroth playable reveal.
I guarantee Final Fantasy will be getting a bit more this time around. Street Fighter has 30 new songs confirmed after only having two songs with their original renditions last game, it'd be silly to bring back Final Fantasy without any new things. I'm sure part of the reason they only put so much in was due to the nature of DLC and only having enough time for a few things from each series here and there. Not sure how Bayonetta managed to get so much music, maybe it was easier to acquire than some of the Street Fighter and Final Fantasy music they might've wanted, but I'm sure they'll get more this time around. And I'm not even that big a fan of the series, but it does deserve more than two songs at least. I don't know about another playable character from FF, but even some collectible trophies or an assist trophy like Cactaur would be really cool.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I guarantee Final Fantasy will be getting a bit more this time around. Street Fighter has 30 new songs confirmed after only having two songs with their original renditions last game, it'd be silly to bring back Final Fantasy without any new things. I'm sure part of the reason they only put so much in was due to the nature of DLC and only having enough time for a few things from each series here and there. Not sure how Bayonetta managed to get so much music, maybe it was easier to acquire than some of the Street Fighter and Final Fantasy music they might've wanted, but I'm sure they'll get more this time around. And I'm not even that big a fan of the series, but it does deserve more than two songs at least. I don't know about another playable character from FF, but even some collectible trophies or an assist trophy like Cactaur would be really cool.
Less about it being a second FF rep, the only reason I'm suspecting Seph is because no one else really is, despite his popularity. The dude is one of the most iconic villains in gaming, and is legendary among RPG antagonists. There's a reason they keep making FF7 content; people love the game and it's characters. And Sakurai loves his dark horse fighters. Everyone is sleeping on Seph because of Geno, third party series not getting multiple unique fighters, and people focusing on the Nintendo Final Fantasy fighters like Terra or Black Mage.

But hey, if heroes vs villains is really a theme this time, and Sakurai wants to both shock and please people, Seph is a good, if controversial, pick. The Geno fans would likely explode though.

On the topic of Banjo....has anyone ever noticed that the last two unique fighters added to Smash 4 were BJ and Duck Hunt? Think on this...

- Sakurai likes to end on big reveals when he can. Sonic was a late addition to Brawl, but was the most memorable even if he wasn't the last one revealed. Sakurai may have wanted to save a huge third party character for last in Smash 4 to emulate the success of Sonic.
-However, maybe he couldn't get the terms for the character pieced together in time for the end of the product plan. The characters' home company asked that they be shelved for the next game when they have more time to work out the business arrangement.
- Having some designs for moves and ideas pieced together already, Sakurai didn't want his teams' ideas being thrown out and costing precious development time and money. He took traces of this groundbreaking fighter and decided to apply their traits to two other popularly requested characters so that they could make the roster.
-He gave one character a standard projectile, a Cannonball, that resembled the third party character's original projectile concept. He also gave that character, Bowser Jr, a Down Special consisting of a wind-up bomb, a move utilized in the third party character's sequel game, despite BJ never having used one before outside of a small section of Mario Sunshine where it's used by a different enemy. The side special, using the running shoes, became BJ's new side special, albeit using the Klown Car instead.
-He then brought in the Duck Hunt Duo, using the original third party idea as a moveset basis. Although they never teamed in their home game at all and were, in fact, enemies, he strapped the bird to the dog's back and had them perform attacks together. The bird would fly the dog around, as what would've happened with the original character.
-He then held his word and shelved the character for Ultimate. With a bit more time and a ballot to back him up, he went back and revisited the idea...he decided to leave the Duck Hunt Duo alone of course, but worked with the company to bring the idea back to life.
-Sakurai helped convince the company to support the idea and work out the particulars by showing him the results of the Smash ballot, ensuring that the character's inclusion could be mutually beneficial for both companies, and for a stagnant IP.
-The arrangement was made. Greg Mayles was instructed to be quiet and await an official reveal. Phil Spencer kept his comments at a minimum as well. Both companies worked to make subtle references to the character's anniversary, but went no further, as agreed upon. Greg even got his brother on board since he could tease a bit more without violating any NDAs. And even Arby's got in on the fun due to some publicity they somehow hoped to gain...even though simply saying "here's a character from 20 years ago in a game series that hasn't had a notable game in years, buy our onion rings", doesn't really seem to make sense. Of course, there IS a new Smash game on the way...

Really makes you wonder...

Last edited:

smnashysm1

Smash Rookie
It's great that your on board ,but just promise us one thing... find a way to play this game !!! Go old school on the N64 or play it on Rare Replay for Xbox One, If you like 3D Platformers this is as good as it gets and if you come to enjoy it, Then you gotta play the sequel Banjo-Tooie that's also available for the same systems, once you beat both games, Then you will truly understand why we are on this mission.
Thanks for the recommendation, I might give it a shot on an emulator since I don't have an N64 anymore :/

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
There has to be DLC for Smash Ultimate, as hard as it is to imagine, but there's no way Nintendo is going miss out on so much money. First of all the fighters themselves will draw them more money and then there are the Amiibo that will draw them even more money. My only fear is that I hope some of the top characters don't get the AT treatment like Shovel Knight and Krystal and others. I really like all the top contenders and look forward to see them as fighters in Smash. (Banjo, Geno, Bandana Dee, Isaac, etc. etc.) So If not all of them can make it in then I really hope Sakurai saves them for DLC. Now I don't think Banjo as an AT is possible because Microsoft and Rare are taking it seriously when it comes to Banjo's inclusion in Smash and I doubt they would settle for that.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Yeah, if we have learned anything from all of the interviews with Microsoft or Rare on the topic, I is that if Banjo is going to be in Smash, he’s going to be playable for sure.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah, if we have learned anything from all of the interviews with Microsoft or Rare on the topic, I is that if Banjo is going to be in Smash, he’s going to be playable for sure.
Yeah I don't want to get overconfident or cocky about it, But I feel like one big advantage that Banjo-Kazooie has over the other current most wanted newcomers is that they are very likely Assist Trophy proof, They see the demand for them, Their character design and moveset were practically built for Smash and I can't imagine Nintendo going through all that legal trouble for just a cameo appearence, not to mention the huge backlash they would receive.

Last edited:

Jorl

Smash Rookie
Just curious, if they were to add some sort of banjo-kazooie item what do you think it would be?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just curious, if they were to add some sort of banjo-kazooie item what do you think it would be?
Mmmm item… there are so many AT possibilities but… items... feathers that let you fly for a short period of time maybe? dunno…

Jorl

Smash Rookie
For a game with so many collectables it seems strange that none of them really would work all that well as a smash item

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Big Al's Burgers and Salty Joe's French Fries, KO your opponents with unsanitary, high cholesterol fast food.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For a Banjo Item I would go with a Jinjo. Whoever tags it first gets a slight stat boost.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Hmm....are they still using the bunny hood?

Also, put me on the list too. I've been trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but after seeing and reading basically everything since Ultimate's announcement, it's obvious it's a now or never situation and their chances aren't gonna get any higher than they are now. After all Sakurai has given us, the only possible thing I could ask for is Banjo-Kazooie. If he does that for us, I could live the rest of my life without another new Smash Bros., something I'd thought I'd absolutely never say lol.

Also, after all is said and done, I really and truly hope Sakurai puts at least one of his all time favorite picks in, regardless of the predicted reactions. He's given us so much, it's time he gives himself something too.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
For a Banjo Item I would go with a Jinjo. Whoever tags it first gets a slight stat boost.
That's... actually a really good idea :o Maybe for different colored Jinjos, they give a different boost? I'd be very happy about that, especially just to hear them go 'Jinjo! Wheee!'

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I've thought about the difficulty of coming up with items as well. Tons of assist trophies, very few options for items despite being a collectathon--I think because they're all so integral to Banjo & Kazooie themselves, or used to progress the game.

1. Jinjos - Probably only if the Jinjonator isn't the final smash. Collect jinjos like dragoon parts to shoot an opponent. Too many to collect, and too similar to the dragoon.
2. Red Feathers - Grants temporary flight (most likely option, but not ideal).
3. Gold Feathers - Grants temporary invincibility (the animation would probably be difficult to pull off)

That's really all I can realistically think of. If an item from Banjo-Kazooie appear it'll have to come with a lot of artistic license. Though, correct me if I'm wrong, but not all third parties have items? I don't think Mega Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy or Bayonetta have any items.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
So i’m currently about 4 hours into Yooka Laylee. Just unlocked the third level.

Man am I playing a different game from all the reviewers or what? So far I’m really enjoying it. It could be more polished but it’s not a AAA game so i can cut it some slack. it really does recapture the unique charm and humor Rare had back then. Most of the criticisms I had read about aren’t that big of a deal for me. I remember reading that the camera is awful and while it could be better it’s definitely not that bad.

I just don’t get how people can say it’s outdated and unplayable but turn around and defend, say, Mario 64 as a classic. I like Mario 64 but it really doesn’t hold up that well. The controls and camera are far far worse than Yooka Laylee’s

Top Bottom