• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Plenty of people asked for the Duck Hunt Dog. Myself included.
Sorry I wasn't around back then so i didn't know. How popular of a choice were they? I just mean i don't think they had a camp on Inkling, Simon, Ridley, or K Rool's Level. Duck Hint doesn't strike me as a fan favorite request. For the record i like Smash's oddball character choices, just so far Ultimate hasn't had one and i don't know if it will have one.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sorry I wasn't around back then so i didn't know. How popular of a choice were they? I just mean i don't think they had a camp on Inkling, Simon, Ridley, or K Rool's Level. Duck Hint doesn't strike me as a fan favorite request. For the record i like Smash's oddball character choices, just so far Ultimate hasn't had one and i don't know if it will have one.
They weren't *especially* popular, but they did have fans, and they are an undeniably iconic part of Nintendo history.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I imagine since this is "Ultimate" they are probably waiting for a final direct in mid to late november to give the game one final sendoff of hype, doesn't mean that they could reveal one final big character, but why wouldn't they? Sakurai likely is already in the planning stages of DLC ,But I imagine nothing is final, I'm sure he will reconsider and prioritize characters that didn't make the base roster, if the current fan demand is strong enough for DLC.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
In terms of retro requests they were up there for sure. Retros are kind of weird though because there are so many fans kinda spread out on who they want.

I imagine since this is "Ultimate" they are probably waiting for a final direct in mid to late november to give the game one final sendoff of hype, doesn't mean that they could reveal one final big character, but why wouldn't they? Sakurai likely is already in the planning stages of DLC ,But I imagine nothing is final, I'm sure he will reconsider and prioritize characters that didn't make the base roster, if the current fan demand is strong enough for DLC.
I doubt DLC is even thought about until the game goes gold. Which will not be until the end of October.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
In terms of retro requests they were up there for sure. Retros are kind of weird though because there are so many fans kinda spread out on who they want.

I doubt DLC is even thought about until the game goes gold. Which will not be until the end of October.
That's what I meant, No doubt he's focusing on finishing the game and based on the way he's done it with past Smash games the base roster has already been finalized, but I'm sure he's also thinking of potential DLC newcomers for the future on the back of his mind or once the game finishes he will shift his focus towards the ballot once again for the remaining most wanted that didn't make the base roster or look towards the current landscape in fan demand, which I assume is not that different from 2015's ballot.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
At least *this* fake had an expressive Banjo, and one he'd probably make if like, this was a trailer and Kazooie was pecking him. Alas.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I was such a big Duck Hunt fan, that I still keep the support picture I drew for him in my signature here... Duck Hunt was the last remaining Nintendo icon from the NES era that wasn't playable in Smash Bros., and so that's why I was a huge supporter of him getting in.

I hate to say it, but I would've picked Duck Hunt over Banjo-Kazooie even. To me, well, first party Nintendo icons ought to have priority. But, eh, Banjo-Kazooie is a pretty big Nintendo icon despite being 3rd party and used to be 2nd party... Still, that Duck Hunt dog is infamous...

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I was such a big Duck Hunt fan, that I still keep the support picture I drew for him in my signature here... Duck Hunt was the last remaining Nintendo icon from the NES era that wasn't playable in Smash Bros., and so that's why I was a huge supporter of him getting in.

I hate to say it, but I would've picked Duck Hunt over Banjo-Kazooie even. To me, well, first party Nintendo icons ought to have priority. But, eh, Banjo-Kazooie is a pretty big Nintendo icon despite being 3rd party and used to be 2nd party... Still, that Duck Hunt dog is infamous...
This makes me sad =( Banjo is love, duck hunt is meh. And I say that as someone who played it when it was recent.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to sign up as a Banjo supporter, though my own thoughts on him are fairly complicated.

I'd like to first say that my only experience with Banjo-Kazooie was playing a demo of it at a BestBuy for 15 minutes as a kid, so I have no nostalgia to influence my judgement.

Banjo-Kazooie is a strange one to me. I understand that it was a great duology of games, and even Nuts n' Bolts was a very bold and interesting game that was unfairly shafted by ill-fittingly slapping the Banjo franchise paint on it. However, I never understood why so many people seemed to clamor for it in Smash or believed it to be an iconic series on par with the greats like Mario and Zelda. Again, I totally respect that it's a great Platfomer series, but it was just one of many in the golden age of great Platformers. Just off the top of my head I can list Mario, Donkey Kong, Crash, Spyro, Rayman and Sonic as franchises that dominated the Platforming scene from the mid 90s to the early 2000s and there's probably a lot more that I missed. To me I just didn't get that hyped about seeing two former Nintendo mascots with a vibrant but short history get in over the loads of 1st and 2nd party characters that could be added in instead or interesting 3rd party picks that didn't have a messy breakup with Nintendo.

Looking at it now however in the context of Ultimate, current relations between Nintendo and Microsoft, and some old words from Sakurai himself, I find myself more and more intrigued by the possibility of seeing the bear and the bird in Smash.

I know not everyone believes this but I really think that this might really be Sakurai's last Smash game. Everything about this game seems to be Sakurai doing absolutely everything he wants/wanted to do with the franchise, to lay it all on the table before age and health issues catch up with him, and truly make this game worthy of being called the ultimate Smash experience. One of his considerations for Smash 64 was Banjo, but things didn't work out and after being bought by MS all hope of getting him in was dashed forever. If given the opportunity, it might be possible he'd like to add them in and get the opportunity to play around with them the way he didn't have the chance to 20 years ago.

The second part of this that interests me is the relationship between MS and Nintendo. Though obviously they're competitors in the gaming market, the two do seem to be making overtures towards being friendly rivals, with Minecraft getting ported to the Switch. With the buyout of Rare being so long ago and all the messiness of the transaction being swept away by the passage of time, I honestly think giving Banjo's and Minecraft's licenses to Smash would make an excellent peace offering to Nintendo, and if accepted could open the door for easier behind-the-scenes deals between the two companies.

If MS really does get representation, I think the ideal way to do it would be to have Banjo as a playable character, with possibly a Minecraft stage to come with him. Let Banjo, the MS franchise with the most history with Nintendo, be the link between MS and Nintendo, as a show of how much things have changed in almost two decades.

As a Halo fan I'd also love to see Master Chief as a MS rep for lols but that is way too stupid for so many reasons.

Same bro. Duck Hunt is one of my favorite additions to Smash and is incredibly fun to play as in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
This makes me sad =( Banjo is love, duck hunt is meh. And I say that as someone who played it when it was recent.
Well, I mean, Duck Hunt was my first ever video game. It means a lot to me. Also, I find the dog hilarious, and the laugh is the greatest taunt in the series. Man, it really rubs salt in the wound! Love everything about the character.

Don't get me wrong though, I am a HUGE Banjo-Kazooie supporter, they've always been pretty much second to Duck Hunt for me. Well, between Duck Hunt, Banjo-Kazooie, and Dixie, K. Rool, or other DK series reps. It's just, the DK series already has two (now three) characters on the roster, and really, that's fair representation compared to the zero that Duck Hunt had and the zero that Banjo-Kazooie has. So that just left DH and B-K, and with Smash prioritizing Nintendo icons, yeah, DH was my logical pick. But no worries! Duck Hunt was a newcomer in Smash 4 so I can put all my effort and support towards Banjo-Kazooie for Ultimate!

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Yeah I know. I'm at the point where I've read every Pro and Con for Banjo's inclusion, so now I'm trying to just kill time until the next direct. It's only been 3 weeks since the last direct which was when I started actually paying attention to Ultimate, so it'll be like 5-6 more until the next direct so the wait I see killing me. This whole thing is actually making me wanna see a Minecraft stage so bad just to give me 1 shread of actual evidence Microsoft is involved.
It's weird to think that it has only been 3 weeks - and what makes the wait for information or a direct even more agonising is that we know it will be all new content. This isn't like the Smash 4 days, where we are waiting to see if any of our mains have been cut.

And as much as I despise Minecraft (I can blame my 7 year old nephew for that), it's popularity and recognition in the gaming industry is unquestionable. Having a stage in Smash can only be a good thing for Ultimate. As long as it isn't a Minecraft character. I would genuinely NEVER play as them.

I think the biggest hurdle has been whether or not Sakurai would want to include a Western third party, since that's a barrier that hasn't been broken yet (but it's gotten close with Diddy, Dark Samus, and now K Rool, though they're still owned by Nintendo) in addition to Nintendo wanting to promote a competitor's character (on Microsoft's end, I see no issue, as it is free publicity). It gives me hope that B&K was possibly considered back in the day, how the ballot has been highly influential, that a Western third party assist like Shovel Knight made it in. Nintendo and Microsoft have some kind of partnership, and business deals like this don't happen over night. And if the Verge rumors that Minecraft content are in are true--outside of it perhaps being a last minute addition, that would be the best indication.

And the biggest indication to me that B&K would not be in is if we do in fact only have 103 stages. It sounded definitive, even if the word choice was a bit ambiguous, and it wasn't a translation issue. I would just think a statement like that would be saved after showing off every stage--yet, why show every stage four months before release? It's tricky, and I've tried to lower my expectations as a result. The sliver of hope is that the wording was 100 stages was the goal--and it's not clear if they met their goal and stopped, or decided to surpass it.

My issue is that everything seems to align so nearly perfectly--that I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't come to fruition. Right now, Ultimate is the best game in the series--B&K in the roster would make it perfect, for me personally. It's going to be a long speculation cycle.
To be honest, I'm not concerned so much about the Western third party issue. I feel like all the barriers that have been set up for third parties previously just don't exist anymore. I mean, we have 9 third party characters from 5 or 6 different companies - so many that you can have an 8-player smash with no repeated characters and no nintendo characters. If you have a 70+ roster, that's nearly a whole 7th of your roster filled by non-nintendo characters. Plus, mii costumes from other series such as Tales, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Monster Hunter (+ Stage), and assist trophies like Shovel Knight as you said. And to be honest, I don't buy that these are all the stages in the game. I feel like this is the same as when Sakurai said 'don't expect too many new characters', and proceeded to reveal Ridley + 5 others. Granted, I don't expect any new stages for characters from existing series.

I feel like the Western thing really doesn't matter as much now - didn't Bayo have had a majority vote from Western gamers? And wasn't Ridley primarily a western request? The only big issue I see is that B&K are now solely with a rival company - a company willing to let them use Banjo because, like you said, it's free publicity - and whether Nintendo want to promote them. For me, if they're prepared to have Cloud and Snake in, who are barely supported on Nintendo systems, why not have Banjo? I'm a bit like you in that I don't want to get my hopes up, but the idea of Banjo returning to a Nintendo system for a legacy battle is just....ultimate!

Only time will tell, though...... 14 weeks left......

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's weird to think that it has only been 3 weeks - and what makes the wait for information or a direct even more agonising is that we know it will be all new content. This isn't like the Smash 4 days, where we are waiting to see if any of our mains have been cut.

And as much as I despise Minecraft (I can blame my 7 year old nephew for that), it's popularity and recognition in the gaming industry is unquestionable. Having a stage in Smash can only be a good thing for Ultimate. As long as it isn't a Minecraft character. I would genuinely NEVER play as them.

To be honest, I'm not concerned so much about the Western third party issue. I feel like all the barriers that have been set up for third parties previously just don't exist anymore. I mean, we have 9 third party characters from 5 or 6 different companies - so many that you can have an 8-player smash with no repeated characters and no nintendo characters. If you have a 70+ roster, that's nearly a whole 7th of your roster filled by non-nintendo characters. Plus, mii costumes from other series such as Tales, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Monster Hunter (+ Stage), and assist trophies like Shovel Knight as you said. And to be honest, I don't buy that these are all the stages in the game. I feel like this is the same as when Sakurai said 'don't expect too many new characters', and proceeded to reveal Ridley + 5 others. Granted, I don't expect any new stages for characters from existing series.

I feel like the Western thing really doesn't matter as much now - didn't Bayo have had a majority vote from Western gamers? And wasn't Ridley primarily a western request? The only big issue I see is that B&K are now solely with a rival company - a company willing to let them use Banjo because, like you said, it's free publicity - and whether Nintendo want to promote them. For me, if they're prepared to have Cloud and Snake in, who are barely supported on Nintendo systems, why not have Banjo? I'm a bit like you in that I don't want to get my hopes up, but the idea of Banjo returning to a Nintendo system for a legacy battle is just....ultimate!

Only time will tell, though...... 14 weeks left......
The reason I mention B&K being a solely Western owned character, despite criticizing that argument before, is that a friend mentioned the logistics are more complicated--when it comes to meeting with Western developers to negotiate a character. It's not necessarily that Sakurai has a bias against Western characters, as I mentioned those barriers are breaking, especially with Shovel Knight, a fully playable Western-owned character would still probably be more difficult. Also, I try very hard not to put my thoughts into Sakurai's, and there is a chance that he may not see B&K as special as we do. It gives me hope that they were considered in Melee, and we're seeing scrapped ideas from Melee coming back. I shouldn't have said, though, that it was the biggest hurdle--I agree that Nintendo would be, though I've come around to the idea that Sakurai's clout is big, and if he wanted to work with Microsoft, Nintendo would probably allow it. 14 weeks...

Also, yeah, it's difficult for me to wrap my head around people suggesting Minecraft Steve over Banjo & Kazooie. There's... not even a character to make into a unique fighter. Minecraft's popularity is big, and could be recognized as a stage, or an assist. But B&K have the moves, the unique dynamics, characters/music, and nostalgia to be a playable character. It's a no brainer to me.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Loz is leaking again, I don't believe him anymore at this point, but he says Vergeben was right about Minecraft representation, but he doesn't confirm its as a newcomer.

https://imgur.com/a/U5XfqOp

Edit: Before anyone says "Why would he be posting on the gaia online forums" - Its a place thats out of the spotlight of where your typical smash leaks would be, its a plausible cover and he said he'd make an account elsewhere to drop more information https://twitter.com/loz183/status/1030507097186807809

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
The reason I mention B&K being a solely Western owned character, despite criticizing that argument before, is that a friend mentioned the logistics are more complicated--when it comes to meeting with Western developers to negotiate a character. It's not necessarily that Sakurai has a bias against Western characters, as I mentioned those barriers are breaking, especially with Shovel Knight, a fully playable Western-owned character would still probably be more difficult. Also, I try very hard not to put my thoughts into Sakurai's, and there is a chance that he may not see B&K as special as we do. It gives me hope that they were considered in Melee, and we're seeing scrapped ideas from Melee coming back. I shouldn't have said, though, that it was the biggest hurdle--I agree that Nintendo would be, though I've come around to the idea that Sakurai's clout is big, and if he wanted to work with Microsoft, Nintendo would probably allow it. 14 weeks...

Also, yeah, it's difficult for me to wrap my head around people suggesting Minecraft Steve over Banjo & Kazooie. There's... not even a character to make into a unique fighter. Minecraft's popularity is big, and could be recognized as a stage, or an assist. But B&K have the moves, the unique dynamics, characters/music, and nostalgia to be a playable character. It's a no brainer to me.
I didn't think about the logistics to be fair, I was more thinking about the clout of western requests vs japanese requests. The amount of work involved in getting somebody else's IP into your game must be hard work without adding a language barrier/differing policies and legalities between countries. I think the fact that he was considered for Melee gives him a good chance, too.

And I could not agree more that a Minecraft character over Banjo is just...wrong. Regardless of Minecraft's popularity, if you have a collaboration between two rival gaming companies for the first time, the last thing you do is put a blocky, unoriginal looking character using a pickaxe over a character that has history with Nintendo, huge moveset potential, and who has been heavily requested by the fans.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Kind of funny considering how it looks like most people here hate or don't care about Minecraft (Myself included) and if it was up to me I wouldn't even put it near Smash ,But the second if we do see something related to it,(Stage likely) I imagine everyone would be overhyped and speculation would go off the charts considering it could lead to the thing we all have been waiting for. Long story short, It would probably be the one and only time I would kind of be happy to see Minecraft.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Kind of funny considering how it looks like most people here hate or don't care about Minecraft (Myself included) and if it was up to me I wouldn't even put it near Smash ,But the second if we do see something related to it,(Stage likely) I imagine everyone would be overhyped and speculation would go off the charts considering it could lead to the thing we all have been waiting for. Long story short, It would probably be the one and only time I would kind of be happy to see Minecraft.
I'd be fine with a stage or an assist trophy if it meant that the main attraction was Banjo, or if it increased speculation for Banjo - but given the choice between 'Steve' and Banjo? It's a no-brainer for me

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
I'd be shocked if it wasn't something like a Creeper assist trophy first and foremost, if not, a stage or a mii costume or something.

I just couldn't imagine an outcome where Minecraft gets a newcomer and Banjo isn't there. Unless they weirdly decide to leave it until DLC as part of a big Microsoft/Rare pack.

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
i don't really like minecraft,their community is full of kids,the gameplay is not interessting and steve would steal the chance of banjo

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As long as the outcome isn't a disappointing "it's just Minecraft", which would be puzzling. Also, because I would rather play Dragon Quest Builders than Minecraft.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Man, people just forget that Balloon Fighter exists don't they lol

In all honesty Minecraft is the 2nd highest selling game of all time, it has every right to be on Smash in some form. It's just that the way the game is, and the fact there are no actual characters in it would make it inappropriate to have one in the game. In a perfect world it'd be a stage that has the character skin build around you.
I'd gladly take a playable Minecraft character if it meant having Banjo though.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, many Smash fans seem to dislike Minecraft because they see Steve somehow as a threat to Banjo, when in reality Minecraft being Microsoft's property is probably the only thing propping the door open for Banjo or Master Chief to get into Smash in the first place.

I think Minecraft is a really great piece of software, fully relevant to gaming history, has had a great worldwide community of adults and kids, and totally deserves Smash representation especially with that 3DS and being on the Switch already. I know the little kids and crappy online animated videos and stuff Is pretty cringey sometimes but that's not the whole story with Minecraft. There was a comment way back in this thread that said something like "I'd take fast food mascots as characters if it meant Banjo could be playable". Honestly I am fully on the Minecraft in Smash train for this exact reason, as long as Banjo also comes part of the deal I won't feel like I've been kicked in the nuts by Sakurai and Microsoft.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that the renders in that leak are unfinished. A little more than three months away from release is plenty of time to polish up newcomers' renders imho.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
True story, But I've worked in retail and about 2 years ago I sold an Xbox One bundle(Included Rare Replay and Gears of War) to a kid with his mom and The kid was excited to get it just to play Minecraft, He didn't like any of the games that came included and said they looked stupid, before he can buy a copy of MC he told his mom to call gamestop to see how much credit they can get for the games in the bundle, I think it was somewhere around $10 at the time, but the kid was like I don't care just sell them and we can use the credit towards Minecraft. I shouldn't be surprised seeing how big it is with kids these days and how much exposure it gets with youtube, merch and crap. But I was staring down that kid the entire time and was thinking "You little b******"

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Loz is leaking again, I don't believe him anymore at this point, but he says Vergeben was right about Minecraft representation, but he doesn't confirm its as a newcomer.

Edit: Before anyone says "Why would he be posting on the gaia online forums" - Its a place thats out of the spotlight of where your typical smash leaks would be, its a plausible cover and he said he'd make an account elsewhere to drop more information https://twitter.com/loz183/status/1030507097186807809
It's not like I believe LoZ given his spotty recent history, but if he's actually right, there's a very good chance here for us. He mentions Minecraft *representation*, but also a hugely popular Microsoft 3rd party, but doesn't actually know which one it is.

If we're looking at ballot and Smash popularity, there's only one option. There's really only one option in general that actually has a presence on Nintendo systems. Here's hoping.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Man, people just forget that Balloon Fighter exists don't they lol
Villager

It's funny, many Smash fans seem to dislike Minecraft because they see Steve somehow as a threat to Banjo, when in reality Minecraft being Microsoft's property is probably the only thing propping the door open for Banjo or Master Chief to get into Smash in the first place.
It's more because the Minecraft community is cancer

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Hugely popular Microsoft 3rd Party. Master Chief has 0 popularity in Japan, which is why i scratch my head when people think Master Chief would be Microsoft's pick over Banjo. I doubt Sakurai would even take Master Cheif even if that was all Microsoft was offering. Like Ridley as a Western fan favorite took so long to get into Smash, a rival Western companies character pick would have to have international appeal, so Steve and Banjo are both more likely and Microsoft only really has those 3 choices.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Hugely popular Microsoft 3rd Party. Master Chief has 0 popularity in Japan, which is why i scratch my head when people think Master Chief would be Microsoft's pick over Banjo. I doubt Sakurai would even take Master Cheif even if that was all Microsoft was offering. Like Ridley as a Western fan favorite took so long to get into Smash, a rival Western companies character pick would have to have international appeal, so Steve and Banjo are both more likely and Microsoft only really has those 3 choices.
Sakurai would never put a character with a realistic gun into Smash

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
If we're looking at ballot and Smash popularity, there's only one option. There's really only one option in general that actually has a presence on Nintendo systems. Here's hoping.
Just do add onto this, Phil Spencers been to Japan many times in 2016, 17 and 18. https://www.dualshockers.com/phil-spencer-japanese-developers-next-xbox/

If Vergeben and Loz are both saying theres Microsoft involvement, Vergeben also says he's confident in his source on that. I'd say we're now at a decent chance here.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
And, since we know Sakurai is inclined to look at ballot popularity as at least one major deciding factor for this game, that's something Banjo has over Steve on literally every metric we've ever seen.

Steve had basically no presence, and the character itself has little to no popularity for Smash. The series itself is an iconic part of video game history, but that doesn't need a playable character, especially if it's a third party with no demand.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Why do Banjo & Kazooie have to feel like they have so much going for them and also no chance? This is the first and only time I've ever actively wanted a character and don't wanna feel that disappointment most character camps have to face X/

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

To my knowledge. Loz didn't want to associate with his username anymore since he got overwhelmed by all the questions people were pestering him with. Just typing it backwards wouldn't change much at all and it reeks of a phony. This also says that, "sources still strongly imply that Isabelle is in", where last we heard, he was doubting Isabelle's playability and had no info on her.

That post is also riddled with typos and improper capitalization, which Loz hasn't been seen doing. That isn't him.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Yes Minecraft is popular in Japan. I believe it was the Switch's highest downloaded game in Japan in 2017.

https://www.destructoid.com/nintend...in-japan-plus-the-overall-top-30-483214.phtml

I also saw a Japanese fan poll on atwiki where Banjo and Steve both had the exact same number of votes, though there were over 300 characters most of which had less than 10 votes, so i think that poll i saw was a little weird.

Top Bottom