• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
For items I think the obvious choices would be the feathers and jinjos. Outside of the box? Maybe the stop n' swop eggs. No idea what they could do though.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Jinjos- diffrent color jinjo give you diffrent buffs
Minjos- diffrent color minjos give you diffrent debuffs
Ice Key- works like an ice sword
Glowbo- turns you into a washing machine that shoots underwhere for 10 seconds
Turbo Shoes- speeds you up
Saucer of Peril- flys around attacking people for you
Birds- the birds from tooie multiolayer mode they work like guns & eatch bird works shoots diffrent type of eggs
Bee Hive- spawns honeycones
Honeycones- heals you
Clockwork Kazooie- works like a mecha koopa
Red Fether- Makes you floatyer for a short time
Gold Fether- Makes you resistant to launching far for 10 seconeds
Magic Wrench- lets the user have a long distence grab for 15 secondes
Sprink Step Shoes- lets you jump higher for a short time

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So i’m currently about 4 hours into Yooka Laylee. Just unlocked the third level.

Man am I playing a different game from all the reviewers or what? So far I’m really enjoying it. It could be more polished but it’s not a AAA game so i can cut it some slack. it really does recapture the unique charm and humor Rare had back then. Most of the criticisms I had read about aren’t that big of a deal for me. I remember reading that the camera is awful and while it could be better it’s definitely not that bad.

I just don’t get how people can say it’s outdated and unplayable but turn around and defend, say, Mario 64 as a classic. I like Mario 64 but it really doesn’t hold up that well. The controls and camera are far far worse than Yooka Laylee’s
Are you playing it on Switch ? How well does it run and look ? Been looking to pick it up ,but was kind of waiting for a physical release. I think most of the backlash for the game was that development shifted from the Wii U to Switch and how long it took for a Switch release too, Even as a Wii U owner I wasn't mad because from a business perspective it made much more sense to move it to from a dead platform to an up and coming one.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
After thinking over what could be a neat Banjo Kazooie item, I think a really cool choice could be the green jumppad fron both games.

The jump pad spawns on the stage on its stage with the top facing the screen, like the bumper. The pad can be picked up and thrown, in which it will stick to the ground and lay face up. Once a fighter steps on the boucne pad, it forces them to jump a good distance into the air, and puts them into helpless/freefall mode right at the peak of the jump. This item can be helpful for players needing recovery, but it can also send unsucspecting players into the air and leave them wide open for attack!

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think a simple and realistic item to represent Banjo and Kazooie would be the spring shoes from Banjo Tooie:

The player would dawn a set of purple shoes that would allow the player to have an extra high first jump

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So I revisited both Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in the last few several weeks and 100%'d both of them for the first time, and the games still put a smile on my face the whole time I was playing (besides the last race with Canary Mary). I know BK isn't a series everyone with an N64 got into, but it's hard to deny how good/memorable these games are to this day.

I feel like I should be able to decide on my favorite worlds for BK, but I kind of can't. I like them all equally- besides Rusty Bucket Bay.
For Tooie, though, my favorites have to be Witchyworld, Terrydactyland, and Hailfire Peaks, with an honorable mention to Glitter Gulch Mine.

Also, it's amazing how being grown up makes a lot of video games so much easier. I remember taking so long to beat Grunty in Tooie as a kid, but now it's a total breeze.
Tell me about it. I remember playing Diddy Kong Racing a few years ago and expecting the silver coin challenges and Wizpig to be super hard (they destroyed me when I was a kid,) but I didn't have any trouble at all. I guess it's like riding a bike--all the skill you acquired going through it the first time isn't forgotten.

And for the record, there's actually a trick to beating Canary Mary's second race: as long as you stay a certain distance behind her, she won't speed past you. Then you just wait till the end of the race and gun it!

Took me forever to figure that out, lol.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So i’m currently about 4 hours into Yooka Laylee. Just unlocked the third level.

Man am I playing a different game from all the reviewers or what? So far I’m really enjoying it. It could be more polished but it’s not a AAA game so i can cut it some slack. it really does recapture the unique charm and humor Rare had back then. Most of the criticisms I had read about aren’t that big of a deal for me. I remember reading that the camera is awful and while it could be better it’s definitely not that bad.

I just don’t get how people can say it’s outdated and unplayable but turn around and defend, say, Mario 64 as a classic. I like Mario 64 but it really doesn’t hold up that well. The controls and camera are far far worse than Yooka Laylee’s
Good to know I'm not alone on this

Yooka-Laylee is a game that's okay at best, but got raked over the coals and over exaggerated. Not at all helped by a Hat in Time showing it up in every possible way

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Good to know I'm not alone on this

Yooka-Laylee is a game that's okay at best, but got raked over the coals and over exaggerated. Not at all helped by a Hat in Time showing it up in every possible way
i’ll probably give a Hat in Time a shot later when I have the time. Honestly from what i’ve seen it doesn’t look terribly interesting but people keep raving about it

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Are you playing it on Switch ? How well does it run and look ? Been looking to pick it up ,but was kind of waiting for a physical release. I think most of the backlash for the game was that development shifted from the Wii U to Switch and how long it took for a Switch release too, Even as a Wii U owner I wasn't mad because from a business perspective it made much more sense to move it to from a dead platform to an up and coming one.
I watched some videos comparing the PS4 and Switch and decided to go with the PS4 version. The switch version seems to be a pretty good port but obviously some minor details like shadows and particles were toned down. Not a big deal. But compared to the PS4, the only real benefit is the portability which isn’t something I ever use the Switch for so I just went with PS4 for the slightly better visuals

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I actually preferred Yooka to Hat tbh. Not to say Hat isn't a fantastic game, but they labelled it a collectathon when it's anything but. The closest thing it has to being a collectathon is having to collect a main trinket to progress. Only two of its levels are open, but you select a mission and do that mission, not explore the map, and the rest of the levels are just linear obstacle courses. Yooka did what it set out to do, be an homage to Banjo, it's far from the terrible game that everyone makes it out to be, but it won't blow your mind either. I have a personal preference for the explorative game, so it's Yooka for me.

I'm not gonna advocate one over the other, because they're both decent games, but different beasts entirely. If you want a charming, Psychonauts type platformer with fantastic controls, play A Hat in Time. If you want to explore open levels in a generic Banjo that's almost as good as the original in the gameplay department, Yooka is for you. You can't go wrong with either if you just like platformers in general.

And as a side note for Yooka, a lot of people seem to compare it to Tooie over Kazooie, but it's far more comparable to the original than it's sequel. Levels are all isolated from each other, the ghost writers work just like Jinjos in the first game, the entire structure is more Kazooie than Tooie, really.

Astroworld Astroworld
Mods have already mentioned, but do try not to double post. If you want to reply to multiple people, just hit +Quote and then " Insert quotes to add them to your post.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I actually preferred Yooka to Hat tbh. Not to say Hat isn't a fantastic game, but they labelled it a collectathon when it's anything but. The closest thing it has to being a collectathon is having to collect a main trinket to progress. Only two of its levels are open, but you select a mission and do that mission, not explore the map, and the rest of the levels are just linear obstacle courses. Yooka did what it set out to do, be an homage to Banjo, it's far from the terrible game that everyone makes it out to be, but it won't blow your mind either. I have a personal preference for the explorative game, so it's Yooka for me.

I'm not gonna advocate one over the other, because they're both decent games, but different beasts entirely. If you want a charming, Psychonauts type platformer with fantastic controls, play A Hat in Time. If you want to explore open levels in a generic Banjo that's almost as good as the original in the gameplay department, Yooka is for you. You can't go wrong with either if you just like platformers in general.

And as a side note for Yooka, a lot of people seem to compare it to Tooie over Kazooie, but it's far more comparable to the original than it's sequel. Levels are all isolated from each other, the ghost writers work just like Jinjos in the first game, the entire structure is more Kazooie than Tooie, really.

Astroworld Astroworld
Mods have already mentioned, but do try not to double post. If you want to reply to multiple people, just hit +Quote and then " Insert quotes to add them to your post.
Do you know how to back out from someone elses reply, It seems like once I want to reply to someones quote and I change my mind, I can't get out from it when I decide I want to reply to someone elses or just my stand alone response.

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
i imagine a reveal where the fighters are walking the stairs in gruntilda lair's until the door,they open it, and they found that they are in the top of the tower where gruntilda kill them instantly with her magic, and we see a something flying over her head until he lande and his face was revealed BANJO MAKE A RARE APPAREANCE!

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD

Granted, Mario 64 was one of the first of its time to implement camera control, so I suppose it retains some praise with that in consideration.

That being said, the negative reviews did put me off buying Yooka Laylee, and with the backlog I have on my Switch, I haven't entertained trying it out. It's good to hear that you're enjoying it and I might give it a fair shot when I have time. I think the expectations of it being the next 'Banjo' game probably killed it.

i imagine a reveal where the fighters are walking the stairs in gruntilda lair's until the door,they open it, and they found that they are in the top of the tower where gruntilda kill them instantly with her magic, and we see a something flying over her head until he lande and his face was revealed BANJO MAKE A RARE APPAREANCE!
The question is.... which character would Grunty kill!?
Mario, Mega-Man, Luigi and Dedede are already dead - is DK next?

Last edited:

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
Granted, Mario 64 was one of the first of its time to implement camera control, so I suppose it retains some praise with that in consideration.

That being said, the negative reviews did put me off buying Yooka Laylee, and with the backlog I have on my Switch, I haven't entertained trying it out. It's good to hear that you're enjoying it and I might give it a fair shot when I have time. I think the expectations of it being the next 'Banjo' game probably killed it.

i think DK or Zelda

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Yooka delivered on every promise it made. My only real gripe with it was some sound design issues in the swamp level and that really there should have been more than 5 worlds. Overall an amazing game that delivered exactly what was expected of it.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Incidentally Yooka-Laylee came out this June in Japan. I'm sure Sakurai knew about the game way before that but i feel Yooka-Laylee's entire existance may have reinforced how much people want Banjo. I know Playtonic were also pushing people on their forums towards the Banjo for Smash campaign. Kinda like how Mighty Number 9 was supposed to represent how people wanted Megaman even though thats a bit of a worse example since Megaman wasn't even really dead at the time

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Incidentally Yooka-Laylee came out this June in Japan. I'm sure Sakurai knew about the game way before that but i feel Yooka-Laylee's entire existance may have reinforced how much people want Banjo. I know Playtonic were also pushing people on their forums towards the Banjo for Smash campaign. Kinda like how Mighty Number 9 was supposed to represent how people wanted Megaman even though thats a bit of a worse example since Megaman wasn't even really dead at the time
There is no way Sakurai isn't aware of how much people want Banjo for Smash. The only hurdles he has are Microsoft, Rare and whether Nintendo want to promote Banjo. Since Phil Spencer has no issues, the big question is whether Rare and Nintendo can see eye to eye. For the sake of the fans, I hope they do

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
There is no way Sakurai isn't aware of how much people want Banjo for Smash. The only hurdles he has are Microsoft, Rare and whether Nintendo want to promote Banjo. Since Phil Spencer has no issues, the big question is whether Rare and Nintendo can see eye to eye. For the sake of the fans, I hope they do
Yeah I know. I'm at the point where I've read every Pro and Con for Banjo's inclusion, so now I'm trying to just kill time until the next direct. It's only been 3 weeks since the last direct which was when I started actually paying attention to Ultimate, so it'll be like 5-6 more until the next direct so the wait I see killing me. This whole thing is actually making me wanna see a Minecraft stage so bad just to give me 1 shread of actual evidence Microsoft is involved.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah I know. I'm at the point where I've read every Pro and Con for Banjo's inclusion, so now I'm trying to just kill time until the next direct. It's only been 3 weeks since the last direct which was when I started actually paying attention to Ultimate, so it'll be like 5-6 more until the next direct so the wait I see killing me. This whole thing is actually making me wanna see a Minecraft stage so bad just to give me 1 shread of actual evidence Microsoft is involved.
I think the biggest hurdle has been whether or not Sakurai would want to include a Western third party, since that's a barrier that hasn't been broken yet (but it's gotten close with Diddy, Dark Samus, and now K Rool, though they're still owned by Nintendo) in addition to Nintendo wanting to promote a competitor's character (on Microsoft's end, I see no issue, as it is free publicity). It gives me hope that B&K was possibly considered back in the day, how the ballot has been highly influential, that a Western third party assist like Shovel Knight made it in. Nintendo and Microsoft have some kind of partnership, and business deals like this don't happen over night. And if the Verge rumors that Minecraft content are in are true--outside of it perhaps being a last minute addition, that would be the best indication.

And the biggest indication to me that B&K would not be in is if we do in fact only have 103 stages. It sounded definitive, even if the word choice was a bit ambiguous, and it wasn't a translation issue. I would just think a statement like that would be saved after showing off every stage--yet, why show every stage four months before release? It's tricky, and I've tried to lower my expectations as a result. The sliver of hope is that the wording was 100 stages was the goal--and it's not clear if they met their goal and stopped, or decided to surpass it.

My issue is that everything seems to align so nearly perfectly--that I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't come to fruition. Right now, Ultimate is the best game in the series--B&K in the roster would make it perfect, for me personally. It's going to be a long speculation cycle.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
From what little I've played of it, Yooka Laylee does a whole load of things that are clear relics of a bygone era. Things that were perfectly acceptable during the days of the N64 like sweeping, unskippable camera shots of the platforming segment you're about to do just aren't excusable anymore.
The double standard comes in when people ask for an N64 style of game and then complain when it doesn't take from more modern schools of design.

Mario 64 is obviously a masterpiece of its time and that's what it's being hailed as but Yooka Laylee would likely have been just as good were it released in the time it was made for, if that makes sense. People are just blinded by nostalgia, most likely.

ReddThePyro

Smash Rookie
Honestly, me and one of my friends are always talking about B&K. I am pretty hyped about the next direct and who or what they will reveal.

Though, me and my friend found an article saying that Nintendo recently filed a trademark for an N64 Trademark. While that may not mean much, there is a chance Banjo-Kazooie and/or Banjo-Tooie is in the N64 Mini (If it is that). And if B&K are in the N64 mini (If it becomes a reality), B&K might have a higher chance in smash. But its just a bit of speculation.

Also, I support Banjo & Kazooie being in smash.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice

From what little I've played of it, Yooka Laylee does a whole load of things that are clear relics of a bygone era. Things that were perfectly acceptable during the days of the N64 like sweeping, unskippable camera shots of the platforming segment you're about to do just aren't excusable anymore.
The double standard comes in when people ask for an N64 style of game and then complain when it doesn't take from more modern schools of design.

Mario 64 is obviously a masterpiece of its time and that's what it's being hailed as but Yooka Laylee would likely have been just as good were it released in the time it was made for, if that makes sense. People are just blinded by nostalgia, most likely.
I don’t really think Yooka feels that dated. Old school sure but everything works properly imo. I can’t say the same for Mario 64. I know it’s a 20 year old game but i’ve seen people say that in 2018 it’s still a better game and that’s what i’m disagreeing with. In preparation for Odyssey’s release I 100%’ed every 3D Mario and 64 was easily the least enjoyable. It’s fun at first but once the difficulty ramps up, the slippery controls and unresponsive camera become a huge problem. Not to mention the incredibly basic level design and barebones soundtrack

I used to defend it but after my recent playthrough I’ve changed my mind. Ironically I used to dislike Sunshine but when I replayed it after beating 64 I absolutely loved it

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t really think Yooka feels that dated. Old school sure but everything works properly imo. I can’t say the same for Mario 64. I know it’s a 20 year old game but i’ve seen people say that in 2018 it’s still a better game and that’s what i’m disagreeing with. In preparation for Odyssey’s release I 100%’ed every 3D Mario and 64 was easily the least enjoyable. It’s fun at first but once the difficulty ramps up, the slippery controls and unresponsive camera become a huge problem. Not to mention the incredibly basic level design and barebones soundtrack

I used to defend it but after my recent playthrough I’ve changed my mind. Ironically I used to dislike Sunshine but when I replayed it after beating 64 I absolutely loved it
See, I also replayed all the 3D Marios in prep for Odyssey, and I found myself disliking Sunshine even more and liking Super Mario 64 even more.

But Banjo-Kazooie is still the king of them all.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman

The game got a major polish patch a few months into its lifespan, well after people had reviewed it. Even before then, review copies were an earlier version than the one that came out on launch day.

Y-L gets a ton of undeserved flak. It has issues and is by no means perfect, but at its core it is a solid game.

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
You guys saw the render leak that happened a while ago?
I think it is confirmed as fake already but boy B&K, even if they look too similar to their N64 artstyle, look kawaii haha.
There were other character's renders showed like Isabelle ken and skull kid

Attachments

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think it is confirmed as fake already but boy B&K, even if they look to similar to their N64, look kawaii haha.
Yeah, even though it looks fake, it's nice to see. B&K are barely in any fake leaks, particularly higher effort ones, so it's nice to see for a change. I'm certainly using that Banjo "Dead Inside" Kazooie pic if B&K doesn't get in to express my grief.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I know its been a while since weve seen the classic designs, but the fake render looks plain uninspired, like a modified render from the first 2 games. I'd figure they'd at least redesign the model touch up on the skin, fur and feathers.

Dixie, on the other hand, is just plain horrifying.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else notice Gamestop took down the listing for the plush? Kind of wondering if that could mean anything one way or the other.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't think Banjo will make it into the base game, but I do think he's a possibility for DLC.

DLC picks are usually big characters they know will sell, there's a reason most of the DLC in Smash U were third party characters. I suppose Banjo would be one of the biggest third parties they can go with now (even if it's now Microsoft first party), so hope for that.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think it is confirmed as fake already but boy B&K, even if they look too similar to their N64 artstyle, look kawaii haha.
Lemme share my two cents here. While B&K would be amazing to see in Smash Bros. (BTW, I support this bear-and-bird duo), this is a ruse. If Vergeben is anything to go by (And he’s been pretty accurate with Smash so far), a Gen 7 Pokemon will be playable, which this leak doesn’t have. Even if it is fake, I gotta commend the guy behind this leak for the effort he put in this!

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Lemme share my two cents here. While B&K would be amazing to see in Smash Bros. (BTW, I support this bear-and-bird duo), this is a ruse. If Vergeben is anything to go by (And he’s been pretty accurate with Smash so far), a Gen 7 Pokemon will be playable, which this leak doesn’t have. Even if it is fake, I gotta commend the guy behind this leak for the effort he put in this!
Well, I really don't know if the characters leaked are all of the newcomers in the game. Yeah I agree as someone else said it is good that Banjo appears in "high" effort leaks at least it makes me hope.

Btw what are the chances for the duo to be the last reveal if they are in the base roster? I mean in Smash 4 the last character was Duck Hunt or Bowser Jr if I recall correctly, not that hype. So maybe there is a chance we could see them in the next direct...

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
So far all the character reveals have been pretty hype, even though I wasn't a Ridley or K Rool supporter, I was happier for those camps than something like Duck Hunt Dog and Wii Fit Trainer who never had camps to begin with (still great to have weird characters but the point stands nobody asked for them). I feel like all 4 newcomers have been smoking guns so far, so it would be weird if the next reveals aren't at that same level. Not hating on any particular character choices, but if the next reveals are an obligatory new Pokémon and some smaller series like a Rhytem Heaven Rep, sure I'd be fine but it would feel more like they are doing those out of some obligation rather than the fan input they have been using so far. Like really how do you top Simon Belmont and King K Rool? Or will they just make the next direct a little less ground shattering ham the 2 they have had so far?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So far all the character reveals have been pretty hype, even though I wasn't a Ridley or K Rool supporter, I was happier for those camps than something like Duck Hunt Dog and Wii Fit Trainer who never had camps to begin with (still great to have weird characters but the point stands nobody asked for them). I feel like all 4 newcomers have been smoking guns so far, so it would be weird if the next reveals aren't at that same level. Not hating on any particular character choices, but if the next reveals are an obligatory new Pokémon and some smaller series like a Rhytem Heaven Rep, sure I'd be fine but it would feel more like they are doing those out of some obligation rather than the fan input they have been using so far. Like really how do you top Simon Belmont and King K Rool? Or will they just make the next direct a little less ground shattering ham the 2 they have had so far?
Plenty of people asked for the Duck Hunt Dog. Myself included.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't think Banjo will make it into the base game, but I do think he's a possibility for DLC.

DLC picks are usually big characters they know will sell, there's a reason most of the DLC in Smash U were third party characters. I suppose Banjo would be one of the biggest third parties they can go with now (even if it's now Microsoft first party), so hope for that.
I actually think it's the reversed--if B&K don't make it into the base game, it could lower their chances at DLC. Since the timing was so perfect in 2015, I highly doubt B&K passed by Sakurai's radar. So either Sakurai would have an issue with B&K in the game, or legal troubles prevented it, if B&K aren't in the base game. And while from a fan's perspective, we would say B&K would sell well--that may not be the thought process of Sakurai and Nintendo who would probably want to promote relevant characters as DLC. It's not out of the question they could be DLC through popularity alone, but I think that's why B&K are better suited for the base game. I'm not sure where the general feeling that B&K would be more likely as DLC comes from, but I see it a lot.

Top Bottom