• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Eagle

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This was laugh out loud funny, thank you for sharing.

It's cool seeing so many Isaac fans here. Even though Banjo is my number 1 with Isaac following, the activity of the Isaac thread usually keeps me there.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I want to be clear on this since it looks like it might have been my post that started the landslide of "don't bash other characters" posts: I have nothing against Isaac.

I like his design, I like his game's colour palette and I know litterally nothing else about him because the only times I've seen him were when he appeared on content in the Nintendo star catalogue twice and as a name in the list of support threads. My reaction to him is purely one of "Why is this character so popular for inclusion, despite clearly being in the public eye less than Sushi Strikers (for example)?". It's one of incredulity, not distain or malice.
If he gets in, he gets in and that's great. Genuinely. I'd probably quite enjoy his inclusion. I just find it hard to see him as deserving when I usually know all the popular choices far better by virtue of them being popular characters.

He's definitely not current but nor are any of this game's newcomers, really, or any of the big suggestions (except maybe Waddle-Dee with Spear). That's not a factor.

What my post was actually meant to demonstrate was that we can't judge these characters by their apparent well known, current or relevant status. Nor by the status of their franchises. Or their own character statuses within said franchises. "Likelihood" this time around is a nebulous thing that relies solely upon who the average community member thinks is most likely.
Yet we're all just a small part of that average and none of us are perfect judges of the others, as my lack of Isaac awareness so clearly shows. None of us can really know who is and isn't likely. Everything us up in the air.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I support many newcomers for Smash even though the only characters I truly want and have always wanted most are Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not going to disparage any newcomers especially when for the longest time people laughed at the idea of the bear and bird returning to Nintendo and making a splash in Smash so I don't like to ruffle the feathers of anyone who wants a certain newcomer in more than Banjo-Kazooie. After the likes of Ridley and K. Rool making it in, I'm confident Sakurai is trying his best to please everyone and with a few months of announcements left to look forward to and hopefully DLC on the way, hopefully everyone will get their video game favorites in. So please, let's all try to get along these next few months and support each other and their personal favorites! Personally, other than Banjo, I do feel Issac, Geno, Paper Mario, Rayman, and Dixie Kong among others are characters I support and would love to see in almost as much as the bear and bird. Let's hope for the best!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Victory Pose Concepts to possibly get this thread back on track

Kazooie flies by the camera before dropping into Banjo's backpack and the two strike a pose

Banjo does his 'Jiggy get' dance, but it's randomized like Sonic's Chaos Emerald pose where it's either a Jiggy or one of the Stop n' Swop items

Banjo and Kazooie playing their signature instruments to the camera

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I want Banjo & Kazooies victory theme to be the tune that plays when you find an extra life... with the laugh included at the end.. though I'd settle for the jingle when you find a Jiggy which is the most likely candidate

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Theirs are part of me that would love to see Banjo beat the crap out of opponents with ..well his Banjo just for fun ,but the moveset pulled from their games is already too perfect.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I want Banjo & Kazooies victory theme to be the tune that plays when you find an extra life... with the laugh included at the end.. though I'd settle for the jingle when you find a Jiggy which is the most likely candidate
When they collect one, or all of them in a world? Can't decide between both.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
You know what I'd love? If there was an alt color that made Kazooie look like her dragon form.

Or who knows, just go all the way and make a completely new model for it à la Little Mac/Cloud/etc.

D

Deleted member

Random moveset for specials I came up with because I'm bored:

B: Egg Fire - Tap to fire Blue Eggs; hold to launch a Grenade egg.
Side B: Beak Bomb - Similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz, but trades a bit of power for quicker startup and less risk. Take damage if hitting a solid object, but bounce off if hits a shielded target.
Up B: Flight - B-K jump up, and enter a flying animation, which allows them to flap 3 times. Can be chained into Beak Bomb.
Down B: Wonderwing - A counter pretty much, but it also grants invincibility during the animation.

Also, totally supporting B-K for Smash. I don't see it happening at launch, but it could happen as DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I definitely don't try to bash other characters, and I'm sad whenever a fan favorite is deconfirmed--sad for the fans, even if it's a character I personally don't care about. And despite knowing next to nothing about the characters, I like the idea of certain characters, like Isaac and Geno, being in despite having no attachment. The only characters I come close to criticizing due to my bias, is third party characters who's slot would go to Banjo & Kazooie (Brawl and 4 only had two playable third parties each, and one has already been revealed for Ultimate). It's a temptation I have to resist.

However, I do believe for me personally, Banjo & Kazooie are the singular missing piece. Now that most big first party characters are in Smash (King K Rool and Ridley being one of the last bastions of that), we have had Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pacman, Cloud--it's hard to imagine a character that could top it. To me, Banjo & Kazooie are in a unique position--third party characters, owned by a competitor, who used to be major first party Nintendo characters, up there with Mario and DK. Had Rare not been bought out, there's no doubt Banjo & Kazooie would make it into Smash. And now that it's possible (however unlikely), it would, for me personally, be Banjo & Kazooie coming back home, where they belong.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want any other characters (my sig has pretty much the main ones I would like), it's that whether they're in or not doesn't concern me as much as with Banjo. I'd love Crash to make it in DLC, so we can have a fight with Nintendo's mascot, Sega's mascot, (possibly Microsoft's current IP with Banjo), and Sony's former mascot. It's a dream match up too good to resist. I wouldn't consider him missing, though--Banjo, however, to me would be missing as it's where he originally belonged.

Dude I just thought of something… Imagine the rest of newcomers are revealed (meaning Banjo would be our last reveal) and once they all fill the spaces in the artwork… the artwork becomes a puzzle like that picture and crumbles down, then the CGI trailer begins for Banjo… It would be such an amazing segway to his CGI trailer reveal…
Indeed, when I was thinking Banjo & Kazooie could be in, and I recalled back to the E3 Direct with Ridley/Daisy being added (prior to the last Direct), I thought of it like putting in pieces of a puzzle, which reminded me so much of Banjo-Kazooie. It just seems so fitting (pun intended).

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else just tired of the same old arguments used against Banjo-Kazooie? I'm a bit over it.

The 'advertises the competitors' one is really irksome, and the lack of understanding of how an NDA works. Not gonna lie, I think people are woefully ignorant on subjects they know nothing about.

Advertise what exactly anyway, there's no game coming out! They've done nothing with the IP for 10 years!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Anyone else just tired of the same old arguments used against Banjo-Kazooie? I'm a bit over it.

The 'advertises the competitors' one is really irksome, and the lack of understanding of how an NDA works. Not gonna lie, I think people are woefully ignorant on subjects they know nothing about.

Advertise what exactly anyway, there's no game coming out! They've done nothing with the IP for 10 years!
Some people act like it's not possible, I mean what's changed now from the mid 2000's when they appeared on the GBA post buyout that they can't show up again? Microsoft had no problem with Rare developing for the GBA and DS because they didn't have their own portable and see it as competition, doesn't that sound similar to what's going on with the Switch?

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
There was this leak posted yesterday:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BALH3K30RVk

It appears super fake due to that YouTuber often posting “leak” videos for hype, but what is interesting is that the source got taken down. So there might be something there.

Of course it had Banjo and Kazooie

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Banjo-Kazooie advertises a competitor, but Master Chief is a more likely Microsoft rep because he advertises the competitor better. I've read both those contradictory stances in the past 12 hours. It's all just conflicting assumptions of what a board of directors would allow or not allow. I feel like Smash is such an honorable series that is almost guaranteed to sell over 10 million copies, so denying a character inclusion based on marketing makes no sense to me. It attracts people to buy Nintendo's product and Microsoft would make free royalty money, gain goodwill, and have a basis to revive Banjo (which as much as people think it won't happen is very possible and likely for a lot of reasons). Seems like a win win for the whole industry. Nintendo Is doing so well I doubt they care if they advertise a competitor, sometimes companies in competing industries team up because they realize it's healthy to work together and really just makes both companies look good.

Doesn't mean I think Banjo & Kazooie are shoo ins or anything, they obviously have hurdles, but nobody will know anything until the next direct. I mean Smash is a little bit bigger than a Game Boy Advance spin of Game, you'd think Microsoft would gain more from Smash than Grunty's Revenge ever got them even if it has been 15 years.

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Personal Opinion
Banjo and Kazooie are older than me thus I consider them "retro" 3rd party rep (similar to Belmont and Geno) and I believe they would make with for a great addition of technical and brawler fighter wrapped into one.
My opinion on his chances is if Sakurai will recognise them or not as Microsoft has publicly stated they are open to the idea.
I support Banjo Kazooie as smash bro ultimate newcomer.
(3 supports so far)

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

The argument I hear that drives me the most nuts is when people say 'We already have Duck Hunt!' and 'Banjo-Kazooie would just be an Echo Fighter of Duck Hunt'! For the first one, if having a similar concept character meant anything, why the heck do we now have literally four different Marths with Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom? And for the second one, clearly those people have never played either Duck Hunt OR either of the Banjo-Kazooie games cuz other than the mammal-bird partnership gimmick, they play nothing alike and the whole concept of Duck Hunt as a character is completely new and original to Smash. If anything, Duck Hunt plays more as a quadrupedal homage to Banjo-Kazooie than any real representation of their own game where the purpose of the dog is literally to collect the dead ducks you as the shooter shoot and other homages to 'shooting' games from the arcade days like Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunmen.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

It appears super fake due to that YouTuber often posting “leak” videos for hype, but what is interesting is that the source got taken down. So there might be something there.

Obviously all these leaks are to be taken with a grain of salt, but I will say that does look like a different render of B-K than what we usually see. I think its weird though that you only see Banjo's face on his render on the CSS, I would hope you could see both him and Kazooie before you'd select them. Have to wait and see what the next few months bring us. I hope everything goes well for us ;_;

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Theres so much clickbait crap on youtube for Ultimate that it annoys the hell out of me, Some are so obvious with titles with all the letters on caps just begging for you to watch it, but some of these youtubers so desperate for attention don't even know the difference between rumors and leaks.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Interesting note, Gregg Mayles posted the Arby’s marketing tweet with Banjo references, and of course was hit back with Banjo 4 Smash posts to which he did not deny them. And Gregg, based off history would totally deny them if not true. This was also a few days ago giving Gregg plenty of time to snack down their responses.

Just more things to ponder on.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Interesting note, Gregg Mayles posted the Arby’s marketing tweet with Banjo references, and of course was hit back with Banjo 4 Smash posts to which he did not deny them. And Gregg, based off history would totally deny them if not true. This was also a few days ago giving Gregg plenty of time to snack down their responses.

Greg has no knowledge on Smash Ultimate's development iirc so I don't know if that means anything. He just wants Banjo to have alot of support

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's great to see some of the creators Greg and Steve Mayles and composer Grant Kirkhope show their support hopefully it spreads like wildfire with more Ex-Rare staff. We can use all the exposure we can get.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Thing is, Gregg does still work for Rare unlike Grant, so it has something to it me thinks

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Thing is, Gregg does still work for Rare unlike Grant, so it has something to it me thinks
Yeah I know that, his younger brother Steve is helping run Playtonic and Kirkhope is a freelancer, I would imagine former members of Rare would be more vocal about it since Microsoft aren't watching them like a hawk.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Has Microsoft commented anything about Banjo-Kazooie as of late? I think silence is a good indication of an NDA.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216

That guy is always posting fake and trending leaks and hypes them up.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Has Microsoft commented anything about Banjo-Kazooie as of late? I think silence is a good indication of an NDA.
The last time anything major was mentioned was back in March when Ultimate was announced Phil Spencer (Head of Microsoft's Xbox Division) said he was ok with Banjo-Kazooie joining Super Smash Bros Ultimate and has stated that several times the past few years, other than that minor shoutouts for the franchise's 20th Anniversary, but it neither denies or confirms their inclusion, So I don't think it's breaking a NDA.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Yeah, y'know, it's interesting. Gregg not saying anything is a little bit suspicious given his history. It's perfectly reasonable for him to say "Yeah, that'd be cool one day, but sorry lads!" or some variant if Banjo wasn't playable this time.

Steve sure, since he likely doesn't know, Grant for the same reasons, but Gregg still being with Rare...

The last time anything major was mentioned was back in March when Ultimate was announced Phil Spencer (Head of Microsoft's Xbox Division) said he was ok with Banjo-Kazooie joining Super Smash Bros Ultimate and has stated that several times the past few years, other than that minor shoutouts for the franchise's 20th Anniversary, but it neither denies or confirms their inclusion, So I don't think it's breaking a NDA.
And he literally said "yep", only "yep". That's all we've gotten out of him since launch, And yeah it definitely doesn't breach an NDA because nothing was expressed one way or the other or even hinted at.

You'd think getting harangued by Banjo fans would get him to say he's straight up not in at this point. Not like he's unable to **deny** Banjo's presence.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
That's good. As we get closer to Smash Ultimate's release date, I think companies are more inclined to straight out the gate tell fans if the character is not in. If they don't say anything, thay leads to speculation on wether they are in and can't say anything or jusy would rather not talk of it all togther.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The only reason I shared that video was because the source material had to remove their “leak”

Vilain

Smash Cadet
I don't have strong hope in them but I support B&K, you can add me in the list !

Would be sad to represent the 64/PSX era with only Cloud and Snake, I mean mostly PS rep and no Banjo.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Here to support the Bear and Bird duo. After playing some of the original and Tooie recently (Didn't beat either one yet, but I played enough to know the characters and understand the demand.) I'd love it if the two made it into Smash Bros.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't have strong hope in them but I support B&K, you can add me in the list !

Would be sad to represent the 64/PSX era with only Cloud and Snake, I mean mostly PS rep and no Banjo.
There's a couple of N64 original characters. :ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ultsheik::ultwolf: But yeah... it's hard to not feel like the PS1 is better represented than the N64, lol. Maybe because of how popular the PS1 was in Japan versus the N64? Sakurai isn't exactly a Nintendo loyalist, he plays games from all consoles.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Kind of ironic considering Super Smash Bros got it's start on the N64 ,But if you look back at Nintendo's output during that time, A lot of the new IP's were a product of Rare and not Nintendo themeselves including Banjo-Kazooie, The only other major Nintendo franchise that wasn't a product of Rare and made it's debut around that era was Pokemon and that series is more associated with it's handheld line.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
It also contradicts Verge, who credibly predicted Simon. Ken and (probably) Geno are all but confirmed so any leaks without them should be ignored.
Verge is the leaker that I don't trust the most. He never mentioned Richter Belmont. And literally anyone can make a list of likely and requested characters for Smash and have a few of them get confirmed.

Top Bottom