• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
What would be the implications if Banjo gets into Team Sonic Racing? I guess depending on the platform versions he’s in? How about dual reveal he’s announced for Smash and Switch Team Sonic Racing?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Sakurai's quote only reinforces my confidence that he had to have seen Banjo & Kazooie's results to probably K. Rool-level shock and at least attempted to negotiate to include him. He isn't afraid to twist arms to make his efforts happen, as he's stated with getting all veterans back (including the likely tricky to acquire Snake), so I have the feeling it's going to happen at some point in Ultimate's life. Maybe he'll be the last reveal before launch, or maybe we'll have to wait until DLC. Either way, every possible roadblock for a newcomer is seemingly being disregarded this go around to make dreams come true, so the only thing that's stopping B&K is likely on Microsoft's end. But they'd be silly to pass up the opportunity even if it means they need a little extra incentive like Minecraft content to agree, especially if head of their gaming division Phil Spencer has any say in this.

People may say that Minecraft on Switch is just a simple port and really has no bearing on an extensive relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft, but they had to have known fans would be buzzing at seeing Banjo, Kazooie, Master Chief, and others on a Nintendo system. There would be too many questions they'd have to answer for if it meant nothing more.

Isn't it just as possible that the content was retained as a build-up to what's to come?

What would be the implications if Banjo gets into Team Sonic Racing? I guess depending on the platform versions he’s in? How about dual reveal he’s announced for Smash and Switch Team Sonic Racing?
They've said that there will only be Sonic characters in the game, but if they change their mind for DLC (which would come out after Ultimate's launch so we'd have to assume B&K aren't in at launch), then it would really depend on if B&K are in the Switch version or not.

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
From what I have seen and heard over the past several weeks, I will try my best to compile everything that seems to help the case of Banjo-Kazooie to be in smash.

-Sakurai has mentioned he wanted to have B-K in Melee but couldn't (Rare was bought out by Microsoft)

-This year marks B-K's 20th anniversary

-Phil Spenser publically said he would like to have them in smash during the ballot

-From past comments on here, and posts elsewhere, it appears B-K were always in the top 5 of most voted. Sakurai has said that he is using the smash ballot votes for newcomers this time

-Minecraft is already on the Switch, which is a Microsoft IP. This isn't directly related to better chances of B-K, but it is indirectly related since both are Microsoft owned

-Going along with the last point, Vergeben as a part of his 'leak' (his sources haven't always been reliable but have been so far for smash, but he hasn't been given 100% info for this game) said that Minecraft in some form will be in Smash. Again, not to say that means B-K is attached to it, but they seem to be the most likely candidate of Microsoft if they got involved with the game

- In smash 4, they released several mii costumes. Inkling, King K. Rool and Chrom (confirmed), Isabelle, skull kid, geno (suspected), and a bear costume. This one could be a stretch since there are lots of other mii costumes deconfirmed and bear mii doesn't exactly equal to Banjo, but hey you never know

-Speculation is sometime in the near future Nintendo will release an N64 mini just like the NES and SNES minis. Rare had many top sellers on N64, so you would think their games would be on a N64 mini, assuming Nintendo makes N64 minis. This argument seems to be the most complicated, but if Nintendo were able to strike a deal for Rare games, that would look super good for B-K in smash

These points could be meaningless overall, hopefully not. It's just we have never seen a stronger case for Banjo-Kazooie to be in smash ever and it seems the duo has a really good chance, from an optimistic point of view lol.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The Smash Ballot comment gives me a lot of optimism for characters like Banjo, Geno, and Isaac. And possibly others like Bandana Dee and Shantae.

But on the other hand, the comment about 100(+3) stages makes me think that 103 being it is a genuine possibility, which would really hurt the chances for any new third-party series like Banjo. Still, it's not an official confirmation that that is it, so we should still remain hopeful.
I had the same reaction. The Ballot focus gives me a lot of optimism, while the stage comment makes me incredibly cautious. I still think four new stages is way too low for what's supposed to be a new game, and Sakurai wrote that before the release of the Direct, so it's not responding to the feedback. I just wish outlets would ask Nintendo to clarify, because if it's the total stage count they should answer it--otherwise they would say to wait for future announcements. It's gonna be an excruciating wait for the next Direct.

EDIT: To clarify why I expected more, Smash for Wii U had about 34 new stages--if they had even just 10-15 new stages for Ultimate, I would say that is keeping in-line with what they were doing with characters, and I'd be satisfied. 4 is--just a really low number, and there's many stages I'd sacrifice (that aren't fan favorites) to get more new ones for the base game.

Has anyone analyzed the artwork to see give an estimate of how many characters are left?
While the artwork doesn't give much hints, the blog is another story. It's been releasing an average of 3 fighters per week. As there is 26 weeks since the blog started to release, based on that pattern there should be 78 fighters. And currently there are 69 fighters (where Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer count as 1 each, echoes counting separately), so I've assumed we have around 9 more fighters including echoes to go, more or less. For prediction purposes, I've been going with 4 unique, and 4 echoes. If there's more, great. If not, it makes sense if we treat veterans as "returning fighters", then the count approaches to what we would normally get. Plus echoes. It's an analysis I made after the Direct gave me an idea of where they were going, though I've seen others coming to similar conclusions.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sakurai seems like the kind of guy who likes to go all out judging by his work ethic and his work so far in this installment. Seeing how this is Ultimate, I would find it hard to believe he would pass on Banjo-Kazooie if the oppurtunity came up, which sort of has thanks to Phil Spencer, K.Rool was 2nd most wanted newcomer, If he can bag us Banjo-Kazooie, I think I will lose my voice.

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
Sakurai seems like the kind of guy who likes to go all out judging by his work ethic and his work so far in this installment. Seeing how this is Ultimate, I would find it hard to believe he would pass on Banjo-Kazooie if the oppurtunity came up, which sort of has thanks to Phil Spencer, K.Rool was 2nd most wanted newcomer, If he can bag us Banjo-Kazooie, I think I will lose my voice.
It's funny... K. Rool was my second most wanted newcomer as well and when he was announced I was reading people's responses of tears and such. I was thinking really? Tears?

Then the realization set in that Banjo-Kazooie might actually have a chance. I won't lie, I won't lose my voice but there will be tears!

StormC

Smash Hero
It's funny... K. Rool was my second most wanted newcomer as well and when he was announced I was reading people's responses of tears and such. I was thinking really? Tears?
For K. Rool, it wasn't just that he was in Smash - that was obviously huge. It was that the character was back, after being missing for ten whole years, and now with a secure future for his place in his franchise, and knowing that all our hard work paid off. That was the emotional reaction more than anything.

Obviously I want Banjo in, but I don't think his inclusion in it would change anything about his series' future. It would just be a nice trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Did any of you think you’d see the day when Isaac, Banjo, and Geno seemed possible?

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
For K. Rool, it wasn't just that he was in Smash - that was obviously huge. It was that the character was back, after being missing for ten whole years, and now with a secure future for his place in his franchise, and knowing that all our hard work paid off. That was the emotional reaction more than anything.

Obviously I want Banjo in, but I don't think his inclusion in it would change anything about his series' future. It would just be a nice trip down memory lane.
I agree 100%. I guess what I was getting at was that it set in for me that I have the emotional connection to BK that some people have for other characters.

Speaking of K. Rool, I still remember the first time I beat DKC. I raced out of the playroom to tell my parents I beat them game. Then I came back to a game over screen. Lesson learned you can't keep a good croc down!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Then the realization set in that Banjo-Kazooie might actually have a chance. I won't lie, I won't lose my voice but there will be tears!
It's great to see how much overlap there is for K.Rool and Banjo-Kazooie supporters,(Can't forget Dixie Kong either)Then again I shouldn't be surprise since Banjo-Kazooie is pretty much a spinoff of the Donkey Kong Franchise and it also shows how great Rareware was amazing at making great characters and worlds that a lot of fans love, to sum it up if your a fan of Donkey Kong theirs probably good chance your fan of Banjo-Kazooie and Rare as a whole too.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
After K. Rool was announced, the last newcomers that would make me lose my mind and make this the ultimate Smash game are Rayman and Banjo.
Count me in as a supporter. I still hold Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in high regard to this very day. Those games are my childhood ans seeing these two in Smash after all these years would be surreal.
Something worth noting, but it seems like Sakurai is paying attention to what the Western Smash fanbase is interested in. Characters like Ridley, Dark Samus, and Shovel Knight were popular in the West, so Sakurai tried to represent them however he could, whether as a newcomer, an Echo, or an AT.
Banjo is the K. Rool of third parties when it comes to demand. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Sakurai to go out of his way to get Banjo. After all, he brought back every veteran, went through Square to get Cloud, remade the majority of past stages, and more. He's doing it for the fans and Banjo being in is the ultimate fan pleasing move. It actually feels like a possibility and that's awesome!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
This is an oldie but a goodie, I've had this on my playlists since I first heard it.

Like, I'm usually not that into video game raps, but this really captures the spirit. Apparently even Grant Kirkhope gave it his seal of approval

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Some matches I'd love to play with Banjo-Kazooie:
  • 3D Platforming Masters: Mario vs. Banjo-Kazooie
  • 8-Players with 8 Mascots: Mario vs. Snake/Simon vs. Sonic/Bayonetta vs. Mega Man/Ryu vs. Pac-Man vs. Cloud Strife vs. Banjo-Kazooie
  • Rare Pairs: Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong vs. Banjo-Kazooie
  • Duos: Ice Climbers vs. Rosalina & Luma vs. Duck Hunt vs. Banjo-Kazooie
  • Mammals & Birds in Space: Fox, Falco, & Wolf vs. Duck Hunt & Banjo-Kazooie
  • Witch Hunt: Bayonetta vs. Banjo-Kazooie
Definitely want to have more fun matchups and scenarios with the upcoming Ultimate game especially if the bear and bird are joining!

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
So the classic mode in ultimate follows themes for each character like Kirby's gourmet race where he fights characters known for eating with food items on like Kirby VS giant Yoshi & so on SO

what theme & battles would Banjo Kazooie's classic mode be like ???

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Another potential reveal trailer idea.

title: Duos

Similar to K.Rool's "Rivals" trailer, this starts with some images of famous gaming duos together, Mario & Luigi, Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong, Fox & Falco, Popo & Nana, and any other potential Duos that are revealed to be in Smash by that point (Kirby & Bandana Dee? Sonic and Tails/Shadow? Villager & Isabelle, etc) before cutting to a Door, a yellow Door on a Blue wall, music can be heard behind the door, a Banjo.... and a Kazoo... the music builds louder and louder and starts to follow a familiar tune (The Opening theme music the Banjo Kazooie) before the door flies open (or disintegrates Note Door style) and the Duck Hunt Duo come leaping through. before they both laugh at the gullible viewers. the camera pans over slightly to reveal Banjo and Kazooie standing next to the still laughing Dog and Duck, not looking at all amused. They perform a Beak Barge sending the Duck Hunt Duo flying off screen before they do a happy/triumphant pose and we then get the tag line "Banjo & Kazooie" Tag Team the competition" before cutting to gameplay footage of them Performing their various moves in battle with assorted Smash Characters. also revealing the Gruntilda's Lair Stage and Grunty Stage boss among all this.
Finally returning to the CGI scene where Banjo and Kazooie are having a party outside their house alongside Mario, Luigi, Diddy, DK, Kirby and Link. there's an N64 logo shaped Cake and everyone is having a great time.
one final scene shows that as everyone else is having fun the Dog and Duck are hiding behind the trash cans next to Banjo's house, they don't notice as a clockwork Kazooie waddles over to them and explodes. ending the trailer with the Banjo Kazooie death Jingle

It's very similar to K.Rool's trailer, so I doubt it'd happen since a B-K reveal trailer would be much bigger and more epic and not just a rehash of a previous trailer. but I thought it was a neat idea so I wanted to type it out.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
If Gregg Mayles were to know about Banjo Kazooie making it into the game, would he know that his other creation K. Rool was in as well? (Like would Sakurai tell him?)

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
If Gregg Mayles were to know about Banjo Kazooie making it into the game, would he know that his other creation K. Rool was in as well? (Like would Sakurai tell him?)
Think he tweeted about it after the reveal and said he had no idea.

I imagine its the same for Banjo-Kazooie.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Think he tweeted about it after the reveal and said he had no idea.

I imagine its the same for Banjo-Kazooie.
But he still works at Rare, wouldn’t Microsoft at least let him know? Perhaps he is just fibbing about not knowing Rool was in.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
But he still works at Rare, wouldn’t Microsoft at least let him know? Perhaps he is just fibbing about not knowing Rool was in.
Maybe, I tend not to take developers word if they are in a way directly involved considering they either will act like nothings happening or don't say anything. But K.Rool is Nintendo's property so he'd have no clue on that front, for BK he might. It's more Microsoft handling it however unless Rare is contributing with submitting assets required for Nintendos development to expedite the process of creating characters, from models, to voice clips to music etc.

But in terms of the final word he'd be out of the loop because thats Microsoft higher ups to handle.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I would think if anyone were allowed to give input, he would be the one that Microsoft would choose from Rare's staff seeing how he's one of the creators behind the character and likely the most veteran of the Rare's team, But at the end of the day it's Microsoft's call.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Perhaps Sakurai wouldn’t ask for any advice about Rool from him, if it was company politics that he couldn’t talk to Gregg about anything besides Banjo related content, especially considering he’s from a competing company.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Verge is pointing towards a new Square Rep, which points towards Geno
Let's say that's true, let's say all of Vergebens leaks are true.
1) Square Enix rep means Geno's in or its something else like Sora or Terra. But it's likely Geno because of the Mii Costume/Demand etc.
2) Banjo-Kazooie definitively is more popular across all fan polls, and likely the ballot itself.
3) There is a Minecraft rep in the game of some form, ergo Microsoft is involved.

Unless they somehow couldn't come to an agreement to license on a very dead franchise with a lower value IP and could on Minecraft, a much more valuable property of Microsoft, and Sakurai deliberately skimmed past their position on the ballot and didn't contact Spencer.

Like if these things are true, I cannot see a pathway that doesn't confirm Banjo-Kazooie either in the base game or as DLC. Geno being in and Minecraft being in, somewhere in the middle Banjo-Kazooie is there based on involvement and popularity.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I wonder if we will receive news of Minecraft related content in Smash in next week Nindies direct!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Would not be surprise, Doesn't do anything for me personally, but good news for fans that do want him in.
If Geno gets in, its beneficial to everyone, it shows that Sakurai truly is trying to make the Ultimate Smash Bros. experience and is trying to get the biggest characters in no matter how insane it might be. If Issac gets in too, its highly likely Banjo-Kazooie won't be far behind. I think these next few months are gonna be very interesting for the Smash community.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If Geno gets in, its beneficial to everyone, it shows that Sakurai truly is trying to make the Ultimate Smash Bros. experience and is trying to get the biggest characters in no matter how insane it might be. If Issac gets in too, its highly likely Banjo-Kazooie won't be far behind. I think these next few months are gonna be very interesting for the Smash community.
That's true, based on what I've seen around, If they both get in Banjo-Kazooie should probably be the next frontrunner, Kind of likefhow after Ridley got in, everyone's focus shifted to King K.Rool and so on.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Need a batch of new info/Direct to clear up alot of rumours and clarify the pathway to whoevers left. I just want some hints of where this is going!

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Need a batch of new info/Direct to clear up alot of rumours and clarify the pathway to whoevers left. I just want some hints of where this is going!
After super early reveals of Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon Belmont, these few months are going to be nuts for all of us.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Signs are pointing heavily towards fan picks at the moment. The big hanging question is if stages are done, and there are two camps here, both firm in their belief one way or the other.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Right now the Isaac community is lit.

We’ve stepped up though since the August direct
Yeah, getting King K. Rool in really ignited a fire in the Banjo-Kazooie community, myself included since I did my share of voting and support for Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool during the fighter ballot back in 2015.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Signs are pointing heavily towards fan picks at the moment. The big hanging question is if stages are done, and there are two camps here, both firm in their belief one way or the other.
We'll have to wait and see if there are any more surprises in store for the coming months. Either way, I'm excited to see what this game has in store for all of us!

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
After super early reveals of Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon Belmont, these few months are going to be nuts for all of us.
The insane part is its like less than 4 months left! How much more do they have to show! 1-2? 6-7!? You can dedicate two whole directs to Smash with the amount left unseen, one dedicated to single player alone.

Top Bottom