• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really understand the appeal of Steve. During my time playing Minecraft I didn't even know who he was. The Creeper or Endermen seem more iconic than Steve. The Creeper is the character I think of first when I think of Minecraft.

I get the feeling Sakurai wouldn't exactly be racing to include him either.

StormC

Smash Hero
The thing is, not every series really warrants a playable character.

A Minecraft stage would be a perfect way to represent the game and what people love about it. Very few people are attached or invested in Steve as a character. He isn't really what people think of when they think of Minecraft.

Minecraft was super successful but that doesn't mean it needs a playable character. Nintendogs is a higher selling series than Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox, but you don't see a Nintendogs character in the game.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Hi everyone, I'd like to be added to the supporter list. I was probably on one of the ancient ones for Brawl / U.

Has anyone brought up the recent Alax video regarding the guy on Twitter guessing things? I understand everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still fun to discuss. Banjo is included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecv3M5_TY_I&t=

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

A Minecraft stage would be a perfect way to represent the game and what people love about it. Very few people are attached or invested in Steve as a character. He isn't really what people think of when they think of Minecraft.

Minecraft was super successful but that doesn't mean it needs a playable character. Nintendogs is a higher selling series than Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox, but you don't see a Nintendogs character in the game.
That's very true, I can see a scenario where Microsoft is like alright you can use Banjo-Kazooie, but you also have to showcase Master Chief from Halo (unlikely) or a minecraft stage.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Hey Banjo fans, let’s say that the big BK does get into smash and, more over, the franchise gets the Castylevania treatment with 35 songs. What 35 songs do you want to see Included?
Im pretty sure you could include just about every song in the series at that point

I mean Kazooie had 9 levels, Tooie had 8. That’s every level in the originals with 13 tracks left over

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Am I alone in not even knowing who Minecraft Steve is? I didn’t know minecraft had actual names characters
Steve isn’t that recongnizable because I’m Minecraft everyone had their own skin. Steve was just the default

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Minecraft is probably going to get the Shovel Knight treatment where the series gets recognized through an AT. Maybe a stage but I feel like an AT is more likely. It probably wouldn't even be Steve it would probably be a Creeper... I do think Minecraft deserves to be represented in Smash it's a big part in gaming history and has been around for quite awhile now. Clearly though Banjo is what people want, he had a big presence on the ballot and I doubt Nintendo and Microsoft would ignore that fan demand. The backlash would be huge if fans found out MS said no to Banjo and told them to use Minecraft instead. I can see MC and Banjo coming to Smash hand in hand. Especially if MS really doesn't have any plans for Banjo aside from appeasing fans for Smash. They'd satisfy those asking for Banjo but would get a game represented in Smash that they want to keep marketing heavily in MC. If anything I could see Microsoft including Minecraft as sort of a Banjo tax. You can't take one without the other and I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't care.. I'm certain he knows the success of the franchise and would see it as Smash worthy. Either way Minecraft getting something would expose Banjo being in the game and think that's why we haven't seen it yet... if Vergeben is to be believed that it's even there...

Fans aren't dumb and if they showed anything related to Minecraft everyone would start expecting Banjo. If we're getting Banjo he's being announced alongside any MC content in Smash.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I actually think it's possible that we might get Minecraft content similar to what Monster Hunter got. That is they got Rathalos in a seemingly boss encounter in single player mode. (and what looks like it could be a Monster Hunter themed level)

So I could see a Minecraft level appearing in "adventure" mode.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don’t understand why everyone thinks Minecraft is that iconic. I’m not saying that it wasn’t hugely successful, but it’s dying, and dying fast.
It's apparently been successful enough to get a Telltale spin-off series, various guide books and throwaway adventure novels that are both official and unofficial. At least big enough to be a passing fad.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
I've always imagined that any meetings between Sakurai and Microsoft would culminate in Nintendo having to throw in a plug for Minecraft in exchange for Banjo and Kazooie. I can't envision said plug materialising into a playable character such as Steve, but I can see the more likely scenario being a Minecraft AT, a stage or an "adventure mode" level as suggested by Sabrewulf238.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So I know this is not related to Smash but, it's still Banjo related… A Hat in Time got confirmed for Switch just moments ago and apparently there's gonna be a Banjo costume…? Banjo definitely getting some love from games now, something as random as A Hat in Time… there's no way Smash wouldn't give some love to Banjo Kazooie, that would just make no sense at this point.
1534785953789-1.png

It comes from this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
It's apparently been successful enough to get a Telltale spin-off series, various guide books and throwaway adventure novels that are both official and unofficial. At least big enough to be a passing fad.
Not saying it wasn’t huge but it’s not even close to what it was

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
As far as MS content coming to Ultimate I could see it happening this way:

- Banjo-Kazooie as new fighters
- B-K stage and selected music from B-K, B-T, and N&B
- Gruntilda as a Stage Hazard/Boss and has codec lines for every character on the roster for the B-K stage
- Minecraft content as an Assist Trophy and content in the speculated new Adventure Mode
- A Halo weapon as an item such as the Energy Sword and the Needler gun
- Regular trophies from all of these IPs
- I may be reaching with this one, but a Battletoads Assist Trophy or a Fulgore Assist Trophy

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
So I know this is not related to Smash but, it's still Banjo related… A Hat in Time got confirmed for Switch just moments ago and apparently there's gonna be a Banjo costume…? Banjo definitely getting some love from games now, something as random as A Hat in Time… there's no way Smash wouldn't give some love to Banjo Kazooie, that would just make no sense at this point.
View attachment 158855

It comes from this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ
Sounds like alot of work is going on behind the scenes to celebrate Banjo-Kazooies 20th anniversary.

If only there was a game that celebrates video games and their history and has all these franchises in one place that Microsoft could use....Hmmm.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Am I alone in not even knowing who Minecraft Steve is? I didn’t know minecraft had actual names characters
It's all good, I barely know anything about it too ,but that's because I've never found the franchise appealing, while I won't denie that it's a big ip, I don't think it resonates or overlaps much with the Smash community since I rarely see anyone clamoring for it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sounds like alot of work is going on behind the scenes to celebrate Banjo-Kazooies 20th anniversary.

If only there was a game that celebrates video games and their history and has all these franchises in one place that Microsoft could use....Hmmm.
Oh this year is the 20th anniversary… ok that can't be a coincidence then.
Yeah… I wonder what game could do that hmm…

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I have been wanting to buy a hat in time on PS4 but now I might get it for switch ? I might wait for a physical copy tho as its bound to get one at some point even if its a limited release that banjo outfit is cool !

Arbys tweeted about banjo's 20th lol

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Oh this year is the 20th anniversary… ok that can't be a coincidence then.
Definitely isn't ;)

If you look in the right places surrounding it, it almost seems a little coordinated. Alot more going on compared to the 15th anniversary.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
There's also a certain Nintendo All-Star fighting series that's about to celebrate it's 20th Anniversary pretty soon too ,not to mention it also made it's debut on the N64. Coincidence ? Me thinks not !!!

Last edited:

Jorl

Smash Rookie
I’m here to show my support for the greatest dynamic duo in gaming history! As for slogans “BANJO & KAZOOIE- MAKE A RARE APPEARANCE”

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I would much more expect Perfect Dark to receive content than Halo. Have we seen the motion sensor bomb yet? It would be neat if they finally modeled it after Perfect Dark.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Arbys tweeted about banjo's 20th lol
If there's one thing I don't believe in it's certainly a coincidence. Surely this is just Arby's acknowledging the Bear and Bird's 20th Anniversary and not related to anything Smash Bros. I'm sure Arby's doesn't get commissioned by companies to market their content along with their meals on social media, one of several places where Smash fans hopelessly wait in fetal position for December 7th aka Smash Ultimate Christmas to happen. A place where Banjo Kazooie's name is tweeted to show support and awareness for their chance to be playable in Ultimate.

Coincidence? Probably just showing love for B-K's Anniversary and nothing more I think not!!

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I would much more expect Perfect Dark to receive content than Halo. Have we seen the motion sensor bomb yet? It would be neat if they finally modeled it after Perfect Dark.
I believe the Japanese version has it modeled after perfect dark and mentions PD directly it in the trophy. The american version changed the design and replaced Perfect Dark with “Top Secret”

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
Now that K.Rool is in... all of my attention can go to Banjo.

No other character can deliver the hype like BK. They are truly the ultimate reveal. Lets do this!!

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I agree, it is a shame. Though people give Yooka-Laylee a lot of slack--and some of it is warranted. However, I consider it a worthy "third" installment as a spiritual successor, much more so than Nuts & Bolts despite the limitations of being an indie developed game (and to be honest, despite its heresy, had more fun with it than Odyssey). It is a shame, though, as Tooie was such a good game it would have been interesting to see how they took that formula further.

The moves are so perfect for Smash--in the 64 era, Smash was essentially a fighter of platforming characters, and nothing embodied that more than Banjo-Kazooie, with the exception of Mario. All the moves you learned as you progressed through the world, the freedom of movement, while still having that wacky charm. It's why I'm flustered when people suggest Minecraft Steve over them--have they ever PLAYED Banjo-Kazooie? The moves speak for themselves, and regardless of what some people may think, I'm certain Sakurai considers the intricacies of each new fighter's move-sets more than "well they're more famous and relevant."

It's why I feel like had the Rare situation not happen, Banjo & Kazooie would have certainly been in Melee and would now be perennial veterans. As Sakurai is using this game to bring back so many things that were once scrapped (e.g., Ditto) or considered impossible (e.g., everyone is here, Ridley), I feel like while there are more "relevant" newcomers, Banjo's importance cannot be overstated, and I consider the single-most important missing piece of the puzzle.

(I had an image I whipped up that portrays that feeling, but I've still yet to figure out how to upload images)
Is Yooka Laylee worth a shot? Even though I’m a huge Banjo fan I was never interested in it. All these nostalgia bait kickstarters usually end up badly as we saw with Mighty No 9 so I wasn’t surprised to see the mixed reception to Yooka Laylee

The thing is, most people say it feels outdated but I honestly think the N64 Banjo games hold up better than even a lot of PS2 games. Really the camera is the only thing that hasn’t aged well. I’m curious to see what Yooka did wrong exactly. For example, I sometimes see people criticize Tooie for being too big but that’s actually what I love about it. Spending hours wandering around finding every nook and cranny to get those collectibles. Even Mario Sunshine’s levels felt a bit too small imo and that was Gamecube.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I've felt this excited about anything Banjo related since I saw the first teaser trailer for Nuts and Bolts.

It almost feels inevitable. I want to believe.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Now that K.Rool is in... all of my attention can go to Banjo.

No other character can deliver the hype like BK. They are truly the ultimate reveal. Lets do this!!
Don't forget about Dixie either,
I’m here to show my support for the greatest dynamic duo in gaming history! As for slogans “BANJO & KAZOOIE- MAKE A RARE APPEARANCE”
Banjo: Prepare for trouble !!!
Kazooie: And make it double !!!

...wait wrong franchise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there's one thing I don't believe in it's certainly a coincidence. Surely this is just Arby's acknowledging the Bear and Bird's 20th Anniversary and not related to anything Smash Bros. I'm sure Arby's doesn't get commissioned by companies to market their content along with their meals on social media, one of several places where Smash fans hopelessly wait in fetal position for December 7th aka Smash Ultimate Christmas to happen. A place where Banjo Kazooie's name is tweeted to show support and awareness for their chance to be playable in Ultimate.

Coincidence? Probably just showing love for B-K's Anniversary and nothing more I think not!!

Obviously, Arby plugs things on Twitter all the time to fool, er I mean, attract the youth and fanboys into eating their food.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Is Yooka Laylee worth a shot? Even though I’m a huge Banjo fan I was never interested in it. All these nostalgia bait kickstarters usually end up badly as we saw with Mighty No 9 so I wasn’t surprised to see the mixed reception to Yooka Laylee

The thing is, most people say it feels outdated but I honestly think the N64 Banjo games hold up better than even a lot of PS2 games. Really the camera is the only thing that hasn’t aged well. I’m curious to see what Yooka did wrong exactly. For example, I sometimes see people criticize Tooie for being too big but that’s actually what I love about it. Spending hours wandering around finding every nook and cranny to get those collectibles. Even Mario Sunshine’s levels felt a bit too small imo and that was Gamecube.
I found it pretty dissapoting.

Levels felt bland and unmemorable. The game poorly explains what your moves can do (turning invisible also reflects lasers?!?!). Fighting enemys feels awkward. Most of the boss fights are against an evil wall. Rextro and minecart mini-games are not fun. I don't like waiting for your power meter to refill all the time. And you get a flight move that just breaks the platforming.

The game isn't terrible but there are better platformers out there. It's a step down from B-K and B-T to me.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

I say give it a shot. It's the only thing I've ever backed and I'm glad I did. The game just feels like a natural extension of the Banjo games.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The latest Hat in Time announcement prominently featured a Banjo-inspired outfit for Hat Kid

This is the year of Banjo

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I don't think I've felt this excited about anything Banjo related since I saw the first teaser trailer for Nuts and Bolts.

It almost feels inevitable. I want to believe.
I have a gut feeling about it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I've done wisely in hesitating to buy Yooka-Laylee, seeing as former Rare devs need to be entirely gathered so QC can be maintained in the brainstorming. At least their former composers are still pretty good on their own.

Luckily, we're starting to get more Shovel Knights, Hat In Times and (hopefully) Battle Princess Madelyns than MN9s, Yooka-Laylees and Fox & Forests. People that truly care about the things they're making and know how to manage their resources are what should drive indies forward.

Top Bottom