• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Lol, Steve posters already took the tweet to make a BANJO DECONFIRMED thread on 4chan, gotta love how easy it is to trigger them

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's try to not turn this into a fanbase war, okay?(Just to clarify, if it's in bold, it's a mod message).

Don't let the bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

This would happen with any character that was apparently disconfirmed. All kinds of fanbases like to bite at other ones when they have a chance.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yes, and people from Konami, Namco, Square, Sega, etc. all got involved when Snake, Pac-man, Cloud, Sonic etc. got translated in Smash. Sakurai reported this a lot of times, in different interviews.
Yeah, and the same thing can happen with Rareware, Microsoft and Banjo-Kazooie, too. EDIT: With or without Grant.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, no, as I've said, just because Grant used to work for Rare doesn't guarantee that he's still in contact. As for why he would respond like that, I can think of two reasons that others have pointed out: 1. He likes to troll/is somewhat pessimistic about the franchise, and 2. Probably gets asked about the duo quite a lot. Either way, this is by no means a de-confirmation; frankly, considering NDAs and whatnot, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo and Sakurai are the only ones fully capable of de-confirming characters.

Also, happy 500th page, Banjoroos!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Reminder that Sakurai looked at the fighter ballot when picking characters for Smash Ultimate. Banjo and Kazooie were the top-requested third-party characters. Given that characters like Ridley (who was openly badmouthed by Sakurai several times in the past), King K. Rool (who Nintendo actively tried to bury for like a decade), and Simon Belmont (a third-party character from a famously persnickety company that didn't even want Snake in Smash 4) all made it in, I'd say Banjo and Kazooie are pretty likely even without the steady stream of leaks and oddities like Google Theory that seem to point in that direction.

To quote the Happy Mask Salesman, just have faith...

Yes, and people from Konami, Namco, Square, Sega, etc. all got involved when Snake, Pac-man, Cloud, Sonic etc. got translated in Smash. Sakurai reported this a lot of times, in different interviews.
Grant doesn't work for Rare.

ze9

Smash Ace
Yeah, and the same thing can happen with Rareware, Microsoft and Banjo-Kazooie, too.
It can happen, of course. In fact, if Nintendo decides to get Banjo in Smash, it HAS to happen.
What I'm saying is that it probably DIDN'T happen, and someone from Rare told just that to Kirkhope: "we didn't get contacted, if it's happening we have no involvement in it."
Which is, 99%, a deconfirmation to me, no matter how invested I am in the duo getting in. And I am, it's 5 AM here and I originally came here just to vent out about how Nintendo keeps on not giving a damn about fan requests.
I'm just trying to apply some logic to this whole situation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It can happen, of course. In fact, if Nintendo decides to get Banjo in Smash, it HAS to happen.
What I'm saying is that it probably DIDN'T happen, and someone from Rare told just that to Kirkhope: "we didn't get contacted, if it's happening we have no involvement in it."
Which is, 99%, a deconfirmation to me, no matter how invested I am in the duo getting in. And I am, it's 5 AM here and I originally came here just to vent out about how Nintendo keeps on not giving a damn about fan requests.
I'm just trying to apply some logic to this whole situation.
Like I said. How do you know that? You don't know for sure, you're just assuming, assuming more than applying logic, in fact. Grant is not even part of Rare anymore, and as a tweet from Grant in someone else's post said, he isn't even part of Smash. He is not part of Rare or Smash. And his ties to Rare are not strong enough either. How would he know?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Whenever someone so much as sneezes the word Banjo, Grant immediately shuts it down. He’s a pessimist when it comes to the series.

Grant is not the guy they’d talk to if Banjo was in, I guarantee you he knows as much as we do.

That Aubrey chick didn’t disconfirm Steve, and this doesn’t disconfirm Banjo.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, in my defense I came home at 4 AM. And I'm kind of tired.
It's just that I really care about the bear & bird :(
Go to sleep. Maybe you'll think more clearly about this when you wake up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Let's try to not turn this into a fanbase war, okay?(Just to clarify, if it's in bold, it's a mod message).

This would happen with any character that was apparently disconfirmed. All kinds of fanbases like to bite at other ones when they have a chance.
Yeah, I'd rather GameFAQs and 4chan be the only cesspools while Reddit (or at least /r/smashbros) and Smashboards (the place I post in) be free of that ****

Noipoi

Howdy!
Though I suppose this is a bit of a wake up call. Not specifically calling out anyone here, but some folks seem to downright expect Banjo as opposed to hoping for him. Not saying he doesn’t have some good evidence, but he’s far from “basically confirmed”.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Grant is just trying to lower our expectations so we won't be disappointed. We wish for more Banjo Kazooie EVERY YEAR at E3 and we're lucky to even get any sort of cameo. I've given up hope for the most part. If it DOES happen, I'll enjoy it even more then anyway.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We seem to be forgetting that this time around Sakurai is doing his best to make sure the least amount of people know the DLC as possible. So it wouldn't be surprising if Nintendo only talked with the highest ranking people at Microsoft to make sure word wouldn't get out easily.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Well, in my defense I came home at 4 AM. And I'm kind of drunk.
It's just that I really care about the bear & bird :(

Well, think about it this way. You brrought up Occam’s Razor. Which is more likely/makes more sense to you?

Grant (a known pessimist) is just speculating

OR

Somebody at Rare told Grant that Banjo isn’t in, for no reason, and Grant ISN’T flat-out saying this (despite an NDA not being an issue in this scenario) because... he either wants to see people strung along, or he doesn’t care?

Personally, I find it more sensible to assume the former.

Though I suppose this is a bit of a wake up call. Not specifically calling out anyone here, but some folks seem to downright expect Banjo as opposed to hoping for him. Not saying he doesn’t have some good evidence, but he’s far from “basically confirmed”.

Honestly, between all the insiders that have said he’s in, the Rare spirits, and the Lootcrate debacle, I’m in the “Banjo’s inevitable” camp. Just a matter of waiting IMO

Attachments

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Also, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , I forgot to mention one little small detail in response to your post from earlier. It is Sakurai's, or in the case of the DLC pass, Nintendo's decision as to what characters get in, while popularity and other things are influencing factors.
It's all Sakurai, Nintendo makes a list and Sakurai makes the final decision. And Popularity means absolutely nothing when it comes to character choices. You cannot convince me that Rob, G&W, PP, Joker, and Lil Mac were popular when they were added in, that's just silly. Granted, popularity with Sakurai means everything(way to many characters on this roster he goes out to say that HE wanted.)

ze9

Smash Ace
Go to sleep. Maybe you'll think more clearly about this when you wake up.
Nah, I'm thinking straight. I'm just very disappointed, and I'm not expecting to see B-K anymore.
But yeah. Let's postpone the venting out part until after E3.

Yeah, this too.
Banjo & Kazooie make all the sense in this world (or otherwise they wouldn't have gathered this kind of fan support), but they objectively face harder obstacles than practically every other requested character.
Not because they are "irrelevant" or anything like that, that's obviously not true. It's just that Nintendo would have to really go out of their way to get them in Smash, since they're owned by a rival company and all, and they'd do it just to please the fans. That's not Nintendo-like at all, to me.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Grant no longer works at Rare. We have no reason to believe that he would have any knowledge of what discussions the higher ups at Rare are having. We can't assume that he's talking to people at Rare when there's no evidence to back that up.

He's known to troll and have a bit of fun like with his "pigs fly" tweet. Why is this one being taken seriously?

If this tweet deconfirms Banjo, then Aubrey's tweet deconfirms Steve and Frank O'Connor's tweet deconfirms Master Chief.

David Wise wasn't contacted about his Donkey Kong music for Smash, if I'm not mistaken. So why would Grant be contacted for Banjo music?

We have no reason to lose any sleep over this. I'm still hopeful. Banjo's chances have not changed in the slightest. I'm more inclined to believe the insiders who have hinted at Banjo than someone who hasn't worked for Rare in several years.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
It's all Sakurai, Nintendo makes a list and Sakurai makes the final decision. And Popularity means absolutely nothing when it comes to character choices. You cannot convince me that Rob, G&W, PP, Joker, and Lil Mac were popular when they were added in, that's just silly. Granted, popularity with Sakurai means everything(way to many characters on this roster he goes out to say that HE wanted.)
Really? Popularity means absolutely nothing? Then why did Ridley get in when Sakurai even said that he didn’t think he would fit in as a fighter? Why did Simon/Richter get in over Alucard (Sakurai LITERALLY says that it was because Simon was a more popular choice)? Why did King K. Rool, who hadn’t had a game in ten years, get in? Why did Chrom and Dark Samus (explicitly stated to be two highly requested fighters) get in?

C’mon dude, your dislike of Sakurai aside, there’s so much evidence to the contrary. It’s absolutely silly to think that popular choices mean nothing.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nah, I'm thinking straight. I'm just very disappointed, and I'm not expecting to see B-K anymore.
But yeah. Let's postpone the venting out part until after E3.

Yeah, this too.
Banjo & Kazooie make all the sense in this world (or otherwise they wouldn't have gathered this kind of fan support), but they objectively face harder obstacles than practically every other requested character.
Not because they are "irrelevant" or anything like that, that's obviously not true. It's just that Nintendo would have to really go out of their way to get them in Smash, since they're owned by a rival company and all, and they'd do it just to please the fans. That's not Nintendo-like at all, to me.
I agree that Banjo would be a very un-Nintendo-like pick. I'm probably one of the more skeptical people here, as I often dismiss most rumors/theories, even some with a legitimate following. If Banjo & Kazooie are not in, I would like to know now, rather than later. And while Grant didn't decrease their chances for me, Sakurai stating Nintendo gave him a list to choose from certainly did. It can be explained away, as people have, as it could have been a list of companies/franchises, but a literal reading tells me Nintendo had a lot of sway as to who could be picked, and I think it's likely that Banjo & Kazooie were not on that list. What gives me some hope is that Joker was, and without P5 coming to Switch that we know of, it's likely more flexible than I would have otherwise thought. But unlikely is still far from deconfirmed, and I'll wait for someone at Rare to say something, or some substantial leak/rumor to come out, before going that far.

ze9

Smash Ace
Well, think about it this way. You brrought up Occam’s Razor. Which is more likely/makes more sense to you?

Grant (a known pessimist) is just speculating

OR

Somebody at Rare told Grant that Banjo isn’t in, for no reason, and Grant ISN’T flat-out saying this (despite an NDA not being an issue in this scenario) because... he either wants to see people strung along, or he doesn’t care?
Well, to be fair "I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...." is pretty straight.
I think he's speculating according to what he knows. It's just that, given how close he is to the franchise and its creators/owners, he probably knows a bit more than us.
And there's also the fact that this exact same scenario already happened during the grinch leak. I just don't think this a good sign at all.

If this tweet deconfirms Banjo, then Aubrey's tweet deconfirms Steve and Frank O'Connor's tweet deconfirms Master Chief.
Well, as far as I'm concerned, yes, of course. Steve and MC are deconfirmed.
It's not like having a Microsoft character is a guarantee.

And yes, I put more trust in what the franchise's main composer has to say than in sketchy rumors from "insiders", but that's just me.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Grant no longer works at Rare. We have no reason to believe that he would have any knowledge of what discussions the higher ups at Rare are having. We can't assume that he's talking to people at Rare when there's no evidence to back that up.

He's known to troll and have a bit of fun like with his "pigs fly" tweet. Why is this one being taken seriously?

David Wise wasn't contacted about his Donkey Kong music for Smash, if I'm not mistaken. So why would Grant be contacted for Banjo music?

We have no reason to lose any sleep over this. I'm still hopeful. Banjo's chances have not changed in the slightest. I'm more inclined to believe the insiders who have hinted at Banjo than someone who hasn't worked for Rare in several years.
Aubrey and Frank's tweets at least COULD be seen as deconfirmation (even though it's not 100%). Not trying to downplay Grant btw. He's a top tier composer, and composed for my favorite game of all time Banjo-Kazooie. But he wouldn't have to be contacted for his work to be in Smash.

EDIT: For example, David Wise didn't have to be contacted for his music to be used (and even remixed) in Smash. It's all up to Microsoft.

Last edited:

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice

I apologize, you see I frequent 4chan so sometimes i forgot that it’s two different worlds.
I’m not personally attacking any fanbases, I just know for a fact that /v/ has people that purposely post against characters by pretending they are on one side, I’m speaking about them.

But yeah, this isn’t a fanbase war, I’ll be more careful.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Grant doesn't work for Rare anymore.

We don't know if they'd share news with him or not.

Nintendo may not have even needed to talk to Rare if they got B-K, since Microsoft owns them and their IPs.

Sakurai would probably talk to Gregg, but we have no reason to believe he'd tell Grant and not his own brother (whom is being quite positive, contrary to Grant's pessimism).

I don't think Steve is disconfirmed, either, though; Aubrey and the new guy were weird and vague. Master Chief may be but I'm kinda confused about his situation.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of the people are getting confused and jumping the gun, Grant Kirkhope definitely does NOT know anything about Smash Bros DLC, so he would NOT know if Banjo and Kazooie are DLC fighters, King K Rool’s Designer didn’t know he was in the game and he was the creator of both K Rool and Banjo, so why would Grant know? If Grant says anything about the subject, it’s most likely just his opinion, but Banjo and Kazooie are NOT by any means deconfirmed in ANY way unless it came from Phil or the heads over at Rare

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Well, as far as I'm concerned, yes, of course. Steve and MC are deconfirmed.
It's not like having a Microsoft character is a guarantee.

And yes, I put more trust in what the franchise's main composer has to say than in sketchy rumors from "insiders", but that's just me.
A composer who hasn't worked for that company for years and is known to troll and would have no reason to know whether or not a character from a game franchise he worked on more than ten years ago would be in a fighting game he has no connection to.

The last game he composed with Rare was from 2008. I highly doubt Rare executives would be telling someone who hasn't worked for them in 11 years if a character is in or not.

It feels like you're being overly negative for the sake of it, and I'm not seeing anyone else here who thinks that this deconfirms Banjo.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
We've hit 500 pages

And the wait for E3 has left me exhausted. There are many words I could use to describe this year long back and forth that would get me banned on this board; I just want it to end

This is what happens when Nintendo takes half a year to reveal ONE character

ze9

Smash Ace
A composer who hasn't worked for that company for years and is known to troll and would have no reason to know whether or not a character from a game franchise he worked on more than ten years ago would be in a fighting game he has no connection to.

The last game he composed with Rare was from 2008. I highly doubt Rare executives would be telling someone who hasn't worked for them in 11 years if a character is in or not.

It feels like you're being overly negative for the sake of it, and I'm not seeing anyone else here who thinks that this deconfirms Banjo.
Well, this makes sense. But I've still got a very bad feeling about Banjo now.
I guess I'm still burned from Smash 4's horrible roster.

At least we'll know everything in about ten days...

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So, er, how goes the datamining?
From what I've seen, nothing. I even saw somewhere that they probably cleaned up the areas that were problematic when it came to revealing info beforehand. Can't vouch for any of that, not my field of expertise, but that's what I've seen.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
20,000 !!!

Man I remember I started following this thread back when it was a little under a 1,000, Man how far we have come.

Last edited:
Top Bottom