• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ze9

Smash Ace
Not really. Dont believe the lies the trolls tell you. Grant does not work for Rare, he would have no knowledge about Banjo getting in. Plus this is a thing.
Well I understand what you mean, but this is all strictly on a formal plane.
For what I know, Grant left Rare on good terms, and he worked at the place for years. Of course he still has ties with people inside the company, even if just on a level of personal friendship. Like with Gregg Mayles, for example.
Also, Grant is one of us. He obviously cares about Banjo and his fans, and he also obviously cares about Banjo getting in Smash. If he says that we should not get our hopes up, it's because he heard something about it from his buddies back at Rare.
It's not happening.

And yes, there is the K. Rool counterpoint. Nobody at Rare knew about him getting in Smash.
The difference is that K. Rool is a Nintendo character, so nobody at Rare HAD to know about him getting in.
But Banjo is still a Rare character, so, even if Rare falls under Microsoft, someone from the studio HAS to be involved.
But Banjo will not be in Smash, so they HAVEN'T been involved. And that's probably the exact thing that they have told to Grant.

As much as it pains me to say it, this is a hard deconfirmation, no matter how you look at it.
And like I said, Nintendo obviously doesn't care at all about pleasing fans. Maybe Sakurai does, a bit. But Nintendo couldn't care less, they proved this time and time again.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
For what I know, Grant left Rare on good terms, and he worked at the place for years. Of course he still has ties with people inside the company, even if just on a level of personal friendship. Like with Gregg Mayles, for example.
Also, Grant is one of us. He obviously cares about Banjo and his fans, and he also obviously cares about Banjo getting in Smash. If he says that we should not get our hopes up, it's because he heard something about it from his buddies back at Rare.
It's not happening.

And yes, there is the K. Rool counterpoint. Nobody at Rare knew about him getting in Smash.
The difference is that K. Rool is a Nintendo character, so nobody at Rare HAD to know about him getting in.
But Banjo is still a Rare character, so, even if Rare falls under Microsoft, someone from the studio HAS to be involved.
But Banjo will not be in Smash, so they HAVEN'T been involved. And that's probably the exact thing that they have told to Grant.

As much as it pains me to say it, this is a hard deconfirmation, no matter how you look at it.
And like I said, Nintendo obviously doesn't care at all about pleasing fans. Maybe Sakurai does, a bit. But Nintendo couldn't care less, they proved this time and time again.
Um, care to provide a citation/proof that he said that because he heard from people from Rare? Or that Microsoft isn't involved with Smash DLC? Because otherwise, that's a pretty big assumption on your part.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It's not happening.

Yeah, no. Grant is either messing with us or he genuinely doesn't know. He's not working with Rare.

Banjo's not deconfirmed until Sakurai reveals the last DLC character. I'm not going to lose hope because of one tweet from someone who no longer works for Rare and would have no idea of what's going on with the IP.

You have no idea who's been told what. You're fearmongering and speculating and that's helping nobody.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a quick thing; when posting images that are super fast/have lots of flashing, please put them in spoilers. It can hurt or damage someone's eyes, especially if they have epilepsy.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Yeah, some of y'all are being way too doom-and-gloom about this. Remember, David Wise didn't know there were rearrangements of his music in Smash Ultimate, so why would Grant know? And as CosmicQuark pointed out, Grant is a cool guy but he's something of a pessimist. That tweet is exactly the sort of thing he would say without necessarily knowing anything. Plus Playtonic just flat-out said they don't know anything, so why all the bellyaching?

There is no more and no less evidence for Banjo in Ultimate than there was this morning. Relax.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Wouldn't it be extremely easy to find out on Microsoft's end who told Grant? I doubt Grant has direct lines to everyone at Rare still. And I'm pretty sure the few people that do keep in contact with him would know better then to spill the beans since it will be so easy to track them down.

If the official head community manager for Minecraft doesn't know anything about Steve. Grant ain't gonna know **** about Banjo

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's not happening.

First, I must post the obligatory, fake, non-serious fanboy based response to you: Get out of here, you non Banjo-Kazooie fan or unsupportive traitor! (again, this is not serious, nor my real post, as I did not mean that, only as a joke)

Now for the real, more friendly post: Not only does Grant not work at Rare anymore, as others have said, but unless you can back that up, that is pretty much an assumption. I mean, that message can mean more than just hinting the duo are not in. It could be said just to troll others, or something else, like keep your expectations in check. Either way, Grant's ties to Rare that he still has are not as strong now, so what would he know? Can you even prove that he was disconfirming Banjo-Kazooie, even though he doesn't work for Rare anymore?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's not happening.

I see your Kirkhope and respond with a Mayles. Steve Mayles, who's for Banjo getting into Smash and hasn't been as pessimistic as Grant. Not only does he have ties to Rare, his brother is Gregg, who still works at Rare. If I'd be looking at anybody's Twitter trying to decipher their messages for info on B&K, I'd be looking at Steve's Twitter more than Grant's.

EDIT:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, guys, whatever you do, what ever Grant says, don't lose KirkHOPE. Pun entirely intended.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I honestly don't even know why you'd take a typically downbeat statement from Grant Kirkhope as a hard deconfirmation. I'm about as pessimistic as Grant is and I don't see it that way at all.

ze9

Smash Ace
...You do realize this doesn't mean anything right? Grant doesn't work with Rare anymore, so him saying that doesn't really mean anything significant.
Yeah, of course. He doesn't have to know anything, technically.
But come on. For what we know, Grant left Rare on good terms. At least at a level of personal friendship, he obviously still has ties inside the place. Like with Gregg Mayles, for example.
Also, Grant is one of us. He obviously cares about Banjo and his fanbase. Look at all the interviews he did with the fans, and all the collaborations he did on fan projects. He also obviously cares about Banjo getting in Smash. I remember him getting very hyped during the Grinch Leak and trying to help us out with the "investigations".
If he says that we shouldn't get our hopes up, it's because he heard something about Banjo not being in Smash, or at least, nobody of his contacts at Rare knowing anything about Banjo being in Smash. I mean, come on. Why else would he make a tweet like that?

And yeah I know, there's the K. Rool counterpoint. Nobody at Rare knew about him getting in Smash.
Difference is that K. Rool is a Nintendo character, so Rare didn't HAVE to get involved.
But Banjo (even under Microsoft) is still a Rare character, so someone from the studio HAS to get involved.
But they probably didn't, and that's exactly what they said to Grant.
Looking at this as anything else but a hard deconfirmation is wishful thinking. I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but Nintendo's track record about fan requests isn't exactly great, so there's absolutely no reason to still be confident about Banjo getting in.

And don't call me a troll please, I've been waiting for Banjo in Smash ever since I saw those four '?'s in Smash 64's character selection screen.
It's been 20 years. We barely got K. Rool only after an internet campaign so big that it was practically a class action, and even freaking Dixie is still nowhere in sight. They just don't care.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
But come on. For what we know, Grant left Rare on good terms. At least at a level of personal friendship, he obviously still has ties inside the place. Like with Gregg Mayles, for example.
And he obviously cares about Banjo and his fanbase. Look at all the interviews he did with the fans, and all the collaborations he did on fan projects. He also obviously cares about Banjo getting in Smash, during the Grinch Leak he was just like us. He was very hyped and he was investigating the topic.
If he says that we shouldn't get our hopes up, it's because he heard something about Banjo in Smash. I mean, come on. Why else would he make a tweet like that?

And yeah I know, there's the K. Rool counterpoint.
Difference is that K. Rool is a Nintendo character, so Rare didn't HAVE to get involved.
But Banjo (even under Microsoft) is still a Rare character, so someone from the studio HAS to get involved.
Looking at this as anything else but a hard deconfirmation is wishful thinking. I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but Nintendo's track record about fan requests isn't exactly great, so there's absolutely no reason to still be confident about Banjo getting in.
...Well, buddy, if you want to think that, then go right ahead. But realize that, from the looks of things, you're the only person here who actually believes this is a hard deconfirmation.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I swear we need to stop paying attention to Grant. It's annoyign as hell everytime i come here people are going crazy for every time he says "hello" or something. The guy not only has managed to say the total opposite of what he meant to say before, but he is terrible at damage control lol (you can see it in that same situation back then). We are finally in June, let's just wait till E3 at this point and not lose our heads here :p

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Microsoft/Rare doesn't give a **** about Banjo. I would point towards Nuts and Bolts as to what they think portraying them accurately looks like (I'm being hyperbolic, I'm sure Mayles gave it his all, but he checked out after N&B). I have more faith in Sakurai than I do with modern Rare in treating Banjo & Kazooie properly--it's why I'd rather them be in Smash than Rare making a Threeie.
Ask me that a few years ago and I'd agree. They seem to have turned around with how they treat the bear and bird. Look at the F4F statue. They could've easily gone with the N&B design. Or the little figurine that came out a few months ago. Same deal.

Modern Rare... I can't say much about. I will say that SoT is pretty fun, though. I haven't been able to play it for a while so it's updated since I last played it. I still liked it though.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I honestly don't even know why you'd take a typically downbeat statement from Grant Kirkhope as a hard deconfirmation. I'm about as pessimistic as Grant is and I don't see it that way at all.
No self-respecting Banjofan would ever drop the flag over something like this. The only people treating this as a Decon are falseflagging trolls trying to stir up trouble. Don't forget that these brats will use any means to rile people up. Lies, misinformation, and no-logic strawmen are the 3 pillars of a hate-mob.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No self-respecting Banjofan would ever drop the flag over something like this. The only people treating this as a Decon are falseflagging trolls trying to stir up trouble. Don't forget that these brats will use any means to rile people up. Lies, misinformation, and no-logic strawmen are the 3 pillars of a hate-mob.
Yeah, I reckon that is what those people tried to do with K. Rool before he was confirmed. I know Banjo-Kazooie are not from the same company as K. Rool, but anyone can troll against any character and they could end up being wrong.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Remember Grant just made the music. It's not like he is the sole owner of everything Banjo relates and what he says goes.

Also Nintendo doesn't even need to go to him for music. Unlike how SE handles music. Rare/Microsoft were smart and own the music they produce for their games. Sakurai will either produce remixes in house or not have any remixed music at all.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Did banjo get "deconfirmed" again? Well, it's been a couple weeks since the last one, so I suppose it's about time. Maybe I should stop going to the movies. Every time I do, banjo's out of the running for like half an hour :laugh:

ze9

Smash Ace
Dropping the flag doesn't really mean anything, since we have absolutely no power in this situation. Decisions have already been made.
It's not like us being pessimistic or optmistic changes anything.
I'm just asking: why should Grant make a tweet like that, if he doesn't know anything?

But ok, call me a troll if you want. It's not like I've been waiting to see Banjo in Smash for 20 years or anything, you know?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Also can we stop blaming trolls for everything? Trolls this. Trolls that. It's getting really annoying having them keep being brought up. That just gives them the attention they want.

Can we also drop the whole "only true Banjo fans" rhetoric? We shouldn't be calling people that take Grant's word for things trolls or not true Banjo fans. How many of you were freaking out because someone posted a random text leak on 5chan?

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Also, Grant is one of us. He obviously cares about Banjo and his fanbase. Look at all the interviews he did with the fans, and all the collaborations he did on fan projects. He also obviously cares about Banjo getting in Smash. I remember him getting very hyped during the Grinch Leak and trying to help us out with the "investigations".
If he says that we shouldn't get our hopes up, it's because he heard something about Banjo not being in Smash, or at least, nobody of his contacts at Rare knowing anything about Banjo being in Smash. I mean, come on. Why else would he make a tweet like that?

And yeah I know, there's the K. Rool counterpoint. Nobody at Rare knew about him getting in Smash.

And don't call me a troll please, I've been waiting for Banjo in Smash ever since I saw those four '?'s in Smash 64's character selection screen.
It's been 20 years. We barely got K. Rool only after an internet campaign so big that it was practically a class action, and even freaking Dixie is still nowhere in sight. They just don't care.
It's still a 50/50 shot and how do we know Grant Kirkhope is not messing with us and trying to keep our expectations low?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, let's try to avoid name-calling, okay? There's no reason to accuse others of trolling. That's kind of silly. If the user is a problem, report it. Don't go out of your way to label them something demeaning. That's against the rules here too. Respect other opinions.

As for me, why would Rare even tell Kirk these things? He doesn't work there anymore. He shouldn't even know it. He's not involved that way with a lot of projects.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also, one thing I want to bring up about ze9's counterpoint about K. Rool: You can say K. Rool is an Nintendo character and not a Rareware character (though he was created by Rareware), but to me, saying that Banjo-Kazooie are a different case because they are not Nintendo is like saying the same thing for any third-party character not made by Nintendo, and we all know Smash Bros. Ultimate is an Nintendo franchise that does have third party characters. Now, I am aware that Banjo-Kazooie is 1st party under Microsoft, but the head guy there, Phil Spencer said he wanted Banjo-Kazooie in. And it was said he was at talks with Nintendo about things before. Given Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship, and if Phil wants the duo in Smash and believes it can be done, the 1st party situation can't be different from third-party characters in that case, huh?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Eh, let's try to avoid name-calling, okay? There's no reason to accuse others of trolling. That's kind of silly. If the user is a problem, report it. Don't go out of your way to label them something demeaning. That's against the rules here too. Respect other opinions.

As for me, why would Rare even tell Kirk these things? He doesn't work there anymore. He shouldn't even know it. He's not involved that way with a lot of projects.
I will apologize if I offended anyone, even though I meant no harm in what I said, wasn't even serious and just felt the mood to joke around. Nothing big, right?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, one thing I want to bring up about ze9's counterpoint about K. Rool: You can say K. Rool is an Nintendo character and not a Rareware character (though he was created by Rareware), but to me, saying that Banjo-Kazooie are a different case because they are not Nintendo is like saying the same thing for any third-party character not made by Nintendo, and we all know Smash Bros. Ultimate is an Nintendo franchise that does have third party characters. Now, I am aware that Banjo-Kazooie is 1st party under Microsoft, but the head guy there, Phil Spencer said he wanted Banjo-Kazooie in. And it was said he was at talks with Nintendo about things before. Given Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship, and if Phil wants the duo in Smash and believes it can be done, the 1st party situation can't be different from third-party characters in that case, huh?
Really, the main difference isn't so much third party as that K. Rool was still from an extremely active franchise. Banjo is still active, but not to the same degree. For some silly reasons, Rare Replay and the tons of merchandise don't make him relevant?

Banjo's relevant. Obviously he's still not known to everyone as much as many other characters are, but that isn't a problem anyway. Popularity and Iconicness aren't the sole factor for being added in. They're just things to help make a decision. Likewise, Relevance is the same way. It's not the only factor either. Especially since the Smash Ballot pretty clearly will have tons of non-relevant characters on it, yet they still could get in. Besides that, relevancy was specifically noted as an issue Sakurai looks at for 1st parties. So Banjo is not in a bad position because he's arguably not relevant. He's not even in a bad position.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I swear we need to stop paying attention to Grant. It's annoyign as hell everytime i come here people are going crazy for every time he says "hello" or something. The guy not only has managed to say the total opposite of what he meant to say before, but he is terrible at damage control lol (you can see it in that same situation back then). We are finally in June, let's just wait till E3 at this point and not lose our heads here :p
What is this about? Someone said earlier that Grant "pretended" Banjo-Threeie was in development but walked it back later. Am I missing something?

ze9

Smash Ace
It's still a 50/50 shot and how do we know Grant Kirkhope is not messing with us and trying to keep our expectations low?
Yeah, in my opinion this is the only optmistic plausible scenario.
But, if we use Occam's razor, it's not a 50:50 anymore. More like an 80:20 or something like that. I don't think that tweet is a good sign at all.
I'd be happy to be wrong, of course.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What is this about? Someone said earlier that Grant "pretended" Banjo-Threeie was in development but walked it back later. Am I missing something?
About two weeks ago. He replied to some sort of Banjo-Threeie post saying "hey I just saw a pig fly past the window" which is playing off the common saying "when pigs fly" he was implying that pigs were actually flying and that Banjo-Threeie was happening. He then tweeted again shortly after basically saying "opps I didn't mean it like that".

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Dropping the flag doesn't really mean anything, since we have absolutely no power in this situation. Decisions have already been made.
It's not like us being pessimistic or optmistic changes anything.
I'm just asking: why should Grant make a tweet like that, if he doesn't know anything?

But ok, call me a troll if you want. It's not like I've been waiting to see Banjo in Smash for 20 years or anything, you know?
Because fans ask him constantly about Banjo, and he's open enough to where he'll occasionally respond. In this case, someone was asking about where Tooty and Brentilda would be, someone made a joke about Endgame *censored for spoilers* and getting B&K into Smash, Grant jokingly said totally, the person responded by saying he asked Phil previously about B&K getting into Smash and getting the okay, and Grant just gave his opinion, which is the same as it's always been. It's an organic Twitter conversation, which I really enjoy we live in an age when fans and creators can have these types of conversations out of nowhere. But to read anything more into that is, I think, mistaken given Grant wouldn't know anything without an NDA being broken.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Really, the main difference isn't so much third party as that K. Rool was still from an extremely active franchise. Banjo is still active, but not to the same degree. For some silly reasons, Rare Replay and the tons of merchandise don't make him relevant?

Banjo's relevant. Obviously he's still not known to everyone as much as many other characters are, but that isn't a problem anyway. Popularity and Iconicness aren't the sole factor for being added in. They're just things to help make a decision. Likewise, Relevance is the same way. It's not the only factor either. Especially since the Smash Ballot pretty clearly will have tons of non-relevant characters on it, yet they still could get in. Besides that, relevancy was specifically noted as an issue Sakurai looks at for 1st parties. So Banjo is not in a bad position because he's arguably not relevant. He's not even in a bad position.
EXACTLY! You may not have put words in my mouth, but you took the words right out of it! You may have even said some things I forgot to say.

I do agree, too. I mean, relevancy, popularity and iconicness don't get characters into games like Smash themselves. Else, more wanted characters would have been playable now. They are, as you said, just influencing factors.

ze9

Smash Ace
It's just that if Banjo gets in Smash, someone from Rare has to be involved. Since he's their character and all. Banjo would have to go through Rare, at the very least for some quality control.
While that's not the case for K. Rool or for Dixie or what have you, since they are, legally, 100% Nintendo characters and they can be used however Nintendo pleases.
So I assume that Rare didn't get involved and someone from the studio told exactly that to Grant.

And about Phil Spencer, I know that he always says that he'd like to see Banjo in Smash and I think that's not PR, he really means it. But he also said that the initiative would have to come from Nintendo.
I don't really have much faith in Nintendo for something like this.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The sad part is that it seems Grant won’t be doing any of the mixes
Even if Banjo-Kazooie made it in, Grant Kirkhope would very likely not be involved what so ever, Sakurai has his own orchestra team that takes care of the music regardless of the character/franchise.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's just that if Banjo gets in Smash, someone from Rare has to be involved. Since he's their character and all. Banjo would have to go through Rare, at the very least for some quality control.
While that's not the case for K. Rool or for Dixie or what have you, since they are, legally, 100% Nintendo characters and they can be used however Nintendo pleases.
So I assume that Rare didn't get involved and someone from the studio told exactly that to Grant.

And about Phil Spencer, I know that he always says that he'd like to see Banjo in Smash and I think that's not PR, he really means it. But he also said that the initiative would have to come from Nintendo.
I don't really have much faith in Nintendo for something like this.
They would have to get someone from other companies to get involved with the likes of Sonic, Cloud, Megaman, Pacman, Simon, Snake, etc. as they are from different companies, and look what happened. They are playable characters in Ultimate. I don't see why even a first party character like Banjo-Kazooie would be different. Plus, don't assume things like Rareware told an ex-employee like Grant something about the duo in Smash, especially if you can't back it up, even will. You don't even know if they got someone from Rare involved or even asked Rare to use Banjo-Kazooie or not.

ze9

Smash Ace
Because fans ask him constantly about Banjo, and he's open enough to where he'll occasionally respond. In this case, someone was asking about where Tooty and Brentilda would be, someone made a joke about Endgame *censored for spoilers* and getting B&K into Smash, Grant jokingly said totally, the person responded by saying he asked Phil previously about B&K getting into Smash and getting the okay, and Grant just gave his opinion, which is the same as it's always been. It's an organic Twitter conversation, which I really enjoy we live in an age when fans and creators can have these types of conversations out of nowhere. But to read anything more into that is, I think, mistaken given Grant wouldn't know anything without an NDA being broken.
It's just that I don't see him giving that kind of response, if he doesn't know anything about it.

I mean. This exact same thing happened almost 1:1 during the grinch leak.
The picture was going around and Grant said something like"this is weird, I don't know anything about this, I think this is fake/don't get your hopes up".
And then... it turned out to be fake.

Last edited:

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
You guys talking about voices? I would worry, Bowser Jr and the Koopalings kept theirs after all.

King K Rool and Ridley needed monster voices to stand out, it’ll be fine, I’m pretty sure Banjo is
getting his cartoony voice

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , I forgot to mention one little small detail in response to your post from earlier. It is Sakurai's, or in the case of the DLC pass, Nintendo's decision as to what characters get in, while popularity and other things are influencing factors.

ze9

Smash Ace
They would have to get someone from other companies to get involved with the likes of Sonic, Cloud, Megaman, Pacman, Simon, Snake, etc. as they are from different companies, and look what happened. They are playable characters in Ultimate. I don't see why even a first party character like Banjo-Kazooie would be different. Plus, don't assume things like Rareware told an ex-employee like Grant something about the duo in Smash, especially if you can't back it up, even will. You don't even know if they got someone from Rare involved or even asked Rare to use Banjo-Kazooie or not.
Yes, and people from Konami, Namco, Square, Sega, etc. all got involved when Snake, Pac-man, Cloud, Sonic etc. got translated in Smash. Sakurai reported this a lot of times, in different interviews.

Top Bottom