• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Boy, if this doesn't sum the situation up

View attachment 224610
This is why I think we'll get a double reveal at E3.

Erdrick will please the Japanese fans and anime crowd, but I don't think he'll be that showstopper "Wow" character that Nintendo is hoping he'll be. The West won't really care about him.

Banjo will be revealed in the Direct and he'll be that "Wow" character that breaks the internet and helps solidify Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship. He'll be the other "Western" character that the fans have been wanting since Melee. The K Rool of the fighter's pass.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

View attachment 224610
That's something a lot of people don't seem to understand. Erdrick doesn't have worldwide appeal either. Banjo is absolutely more known worldwide in comparison. One isn't a literal unknown.

Also, you have an uncensored swearword in there. Could you please censor it and reupload the image? :)

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
That's something a lot of people don't seem to understand. Erdrick doesn't have worldwide appeal either. Banjo is absolutely more known worldwide in comparison. One isn't a literal unknown.

Also, you have an uncensored swearword in there. Could you please censor it and reupload the image? :)
Oh, sorry. All fixed

D

Deleted member

Erdrick and Banjo at E3 could be something like Simon and K.Rool at the Smash Direct.

One is a legacy third party character, the other is a character specifically catered to the Smash Community's desires (im the biggest Simon fan here but i can tell you right in the face that Simon is bascially Base Roster Erdrick, aside from the fact that International audiences know he exists).

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Erdrick and Banjo at E3 could be something like Simon and K.Rool at the Smash Direct.

One is a legacy third party character, the other is a character specifically catered to the Smash Community's desires (im the biggest Simon fan here but i can tell you right in the face that Simon is bascially Base Roster Erdrick, aside from the fact that International audiences know he exists).
I think the difference is that people still knew who Simon Belmont was before his reveal (apparently appearing high on the smash ballot) Smash speculation is the first time 95% of the smash base has even heard of Erdrick (there is no way he would have been talked about today if Tansuit and Verge didn't say anything about him). Let's face it you're not going to know who Erdrick was unless you were already a big fan of Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I think the difference is that people still knew who Simon Belmont was before his reveal (apparently appearing high on the smash ballot) Smash speculation is the first time 95% of the smash base have even heard of Erdrick (and even still he wouldn't have been talked about if Tansuit and Verge didn't say anything). Let's face it you're not going to know who Erdrick was unless you were already a big fan of Dragon Quest.
Hell, I only heard of Erdrick because of all the leak talk

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I think the difference is that people still knew who Simon Belmont was before his reveal (apparently appearing high on the smash ballot) Smash speculation is the first time 95% of the smash base have even heard of Erdrick (and even still he wouldn't have been talked about if Tansuit and Verge didn't say anything). Let's face it you're not going to know who Erdrick was unless you were already a big fan of Dragon Quest.
My closest affiliation to DQ was DQ8 on the PS2. I've never played any of the others and I don't really plan to since I was brought up to the series with 8. A post I love seeing spread around was the search numbers for Derick between two days. No thats not a typo im calling Derick from now on. Basically within the span on 1 day the search numbers for Derick went from just a few hundrad to several thousand, most likely when Tansuit or Veggie-burger said something. I dont wish ire towards actual Derick fans, I just see Derick as the quintessential bandwagon character.

D

Deleted member

My closest affiliation to DQ was DQ8 on the PS2. I've never played any of the others and I don't really plan to since I was brought up to the series with 8. A post I love seeing spread around was the search numbers for Derick between two days. No thats not a typo im calling Derick from now on. Basically within the span on 1 day the search numbers for Derick went from just a few hundrad to several thousand, most likely when Tansuit or Veggie-burger said something. I dont wish ire towards actual Derick fans, I just see Derick as the quintessential bandwagon character.
Mind if you show us the Post of the Search Numbers?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am curious myself. I certainly did not know about Erdrick until the leaks and the dot connecting went on.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Pretty sure Google keeps track of how many searches there are for a keyword each day and you are able to look that data up. I forgot exactly what it's called though.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

View attachment 224616
The other main reason that Banjo-Kazooie will shatter the internet is because unlike every single 3rd Party Character in Ultimate who are all fair game, Banjo-Kazooie is actually a 1st Party Microsoft Xbox Character (Formely 1st/2nd Party Nintendo Character) which is unheard of or yet to happen, Let alone to think it was even possible.

And the idea of the once "Impossible" newcomer that is now actually "Possible" will be the ultimate jawdropper for this once beloved Nintendo icon and righting a wrong that should have happened 18 years ago back in Melee, Possibly even Smash 64 ,But that might have been too early or even pushing it, But without a doubt their success from the N64 era should and would have likely earned them a roster spot in Melee if it wasn't for the buyout.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
What if Banjo has a tether grab? Kazooie pops out of the backpack and uses the magic wrench to shoot out a magical rope to drag enemies in.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
What if Banjo has a tether grab? Kazooie pops out of the backpack and uses the magic wrench to shoot out a magical rope to drag enemies in.
That would be neat, but I could see the wrench being a taunt. Imagine Banjo pulling out a Jiggy and every now and then he pulls out the wrench and quickly puts it back in the bag. Like he is embarrassed.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
That would be neat, but I could see the wrench being a taunt. Imagine Banjo pulling out a Jiggy and every now and then he pulls out the wrench and quickly puts it back in the bag. Like he is embarrassed.
Banjo:Oh Look a Wre...*Gasps*
Kazooie:pUT IT BACK,BANJO!

Mr. Stagg

I am curious myself. I certainly did not know about Erdrick until the leaks and the dot connecting went on.
I got chu fam. BOOM!
1556537226194.png

I had the same idea, only that Kazooie stretches her neck out and grabs them with her beak. It sounds silly but that's what they are all about.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
1558931552498.png

As long as I get Banjo I'm pacified for whoever comes next

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I didn't know who Erdrick was either until all the leaks and speculation about him started, and I wonder how many other people are in the same position.

There's a part of me that Nintendo thinks that Erdrick is much more popular than he actually is if we assume that the leaks about him are true. At least Slime would be a recognizable and unique character from that series.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I got chu fam. BOOM!
View attachment 224627

I had the same idea, only that Kazooie stretches her neck out and grabs them with her beak. It sounds silly but that's what they are all about.
THAT IS A JUMP!!! *Bug eyed* Its like a bomb just went off. The stock market just skyrocketed!

Seriously, that is nuts (and bolts...sorry)! Is that world-wide or just in North America?

EDIT: I realized it says 2018...March 8th 2018 was when Ultimate was announced/teased to us...MY BAD.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I personally want the nuts and bolts design as a skin. I don't want them to completely ignore the game exists.

Blue Mint

Smash Cadet
This!!!!!!!
Also, E3 seems like a great place to introduce a western character! The convention is in California and the Nintendo Direct it would be announced at is during the day. It’ll be 1 -AM- in Japan!
But that don't apply to Steve too?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
But that don't apply to Steve too?
To the hardcore fanbase of Smash? Not really.

For Steve you'd get reactions like "Oh they were right! Steve is in!" or "Oh, it's Minecraft"
Banjo would, as Ryce's post suggested, be the kind of pick that would make streams scream and leap out of their chairs in excitement

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Wasn't everyone so certain the big DQ news in June was Erdrick in Smash?

Is it Minecraft's 10th Anniversary again already?

Still though, this is kind of interesting if you step back for a second. Steve and Erdrick are basically the mascots of the insiders telling us "No, your favorite isn't getting in, it's these guys". And both Steve and Erdrick end up getting mobile games

Kind of makes you think...

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
To those who say Nintendo would know better than to show off Erdrick at E3 when most Western watcher won't care, let me remind you about how oblivious Nintendo can be at times:

Mod Edit: Image removed. That's very flashy and can hurt people's eyes. Please put those in spoilers with a warning tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Everyone lately thinks any themed event has to correspond with a smash announcement. Lets not forget many people were sure Banjo was the game awards reveal because it was on the anniversary of Banjo's Japanese release date.

Wish people would drop the mindset already. How many anniversaries, cons, and special game events do we have to go through before people realize they hardly ever come with a smash announcement.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm actually more skeptical of Brave being the second fighter pass character than Erdrick being Brave. Seems like it goes without question that Brave is an E3 reveal, making people think Erdrick will be revealed alongside someone else much bigger to make E3 worth it for a Western audience. Always possible they reveal out of order to when they were worked on--which character to work on, and when a character should be revealed can be determined by separate criteria.

Everyone lately thinks any themed event has to correspond with a smash announcement. Lets not forget many people were sure Banjo was the game awards reveal because it was on the anniversary of Banjo's Japanese release date.

Wish people would drop the mindset already. How many anniversaries, cons, and special game events do we have to go through before people realize they hardly ever come with a smash announcement.
Agreed, though I still admit to being disappointed that B&K's anniversary came and gone with little fanfare. Not even an announcement of a new game like last anniversary, or updated game--just merchandise. Solidified it further that I don't think Rare/Microsoft gives a **** about Banjo other than making as much money from their former IP as possible with as little work.

Also, someone came up with a neat final smash idea, washing machine transformation. I can picture it now--Banjo lights up, hits someone, Mumbo Jumbo pops out while Eekum Bokum plays, Banjo transforms into a washing machine within the cinematic and sucks in the character, them spinning around in side as loud washing machine sound effect plays, and spits them out to the edge.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm not surprised by that Dragon Quest announcement. Nintendo wouldn't let another company announce a character as they'd do it themselves.

I still wouldn't be shocked if Erdrick is in since he seems like a Nintendo pick to promote a series in the West, but E3 probably isn't the place to announce him unless it's a double reveal.

To the hardcore fanbase of Smash? Not really.

For Steve you'd get reactions like "Oh they were right! Steve is in!" or "Oh, it's Minecraft"
Banjo would, as Ryce's post suggested, be the kind of pick that would make streams scream and leap out of their chairs in excitement
I saw someone on Twitter comment that Steve would be a cynical attempt at Nintendo to cash in on the Minecraft craze and they got attacked for it, but I think they're exactly right.

Banjo would be that pick who gets everyone talking.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The funny thing is that this didn't happen with Doomguy and Id's own convention, Quakecon.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/RiseFallNick/status/1133007861641089024
It seems that another game is getting it's own seperate direct outside of nintendo's
Oh really?! They're really making room for other stuff at E3 then, if they're dedicating separate directs to Super Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Sword and Shield! I'm excited to learn more about Sword and Shield but I really hope this means E3's Nintendo Direct is gonna have some real jawdropping and showstopping reveals both for new games and for Smash as well! Fingers crossed.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It doesn't mean that Pokemon and Mario Maker won't appear at the E3 Direct - it probably means that Nintendo will be free to spend more time on other games as opposed to them.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So, who wants to datamine this?

Mr. Stagg

So, who wants to datamine this?

Looks like they are getting ready for the tournament. Gonna be an interesting few weeks.

Top Bottom