• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
My hopes are Banjo, a DQ Hero, Crash and Ryu Hayabusa.

These ones do feel cool for me and neat to pick up.
I would LOOOOOOVE Crash Bandicoot. The marsupial is a part of my childhood , and I have a soft spot for animal mascot platformers , haha. Also having the wumpa fruit bazooka in Smash would be N'Sane I'm sorry

For Ryu Hayabusa , it depend. From a design perspective , he doesn't appeal to me , but if he's unique and doesn't break the game , I'm okay with him.

For Square Enix , my most wanted are... Well , not in the most ideal spot. (Geno/Mallow and Agnès Oblige) And I'm still very skeptical on DQ content in Smash , heck , even new SE content in Smash in general. If the leaks are fake , they are NOT disconfirmed , but it mean that they are competing with... Everyone else. And they are a pretty damn hard company to work with.

However , if there is one company I can see getting a new character , it's Bandai Namco.
Please Klonoa. It's been 11 years that I'm waiting for any official Klonoa stuff...

I’d just like to point out that Steve was completely absent from the Minecraft Earth trailer. Pikachu was the first Pokémon we saw in the original Pokémon Go trailer. It’s almost like Steve isn’t important to Minecraft.......

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I wouldn't be too worried about Steve being in Smash.

I do not like Steve and to be honest would probably quit Smash if he did get in but I do like Minecraft in general and I cannot deny that Steve is from the second best selling game in history. However that is the only reason people think he is likely and if that's case then the Tetris Block and Trevor Philips from GTA 5 are very much confirmed.
I have listed some reasons why I don't think Steve is very likely down here.

1. Like many other Steve detractors have stated, Steve is a bare bones basic movement character. This really comes down to the fact that Minecraft was designed with First Person in mind and Mojang using the bare minimum animations for Steve so they can focus their effort on building the world. From this, his attire and the generic name, Steve is just a base for the player with nothing else to him. Now Steve would be no problem to animate but that's because he only has like 1 frame of animation for everything except walking and mining. I know what you're thinking, "Steve could just use animations from Story mode or Dungeons" however every character in Smash Bros borrow heavily from their main series with spin-offs being a very small part. This is apparent when Steve isn't even the main focus of those games so Steve would have to use what was given to him in the main game to stay true to form. You can make him flip around and make him act like a lunatic all you want but then that would be a stark contrast to what he does in Minecraft.

2. Speaking of, for Steve to stay true to the game he comes from, his moveset must include digging and building which is what many, many people forget to talk about when mentioning Steve for Smash. Digging and building must come before everything else as that is what Minecraft is all about. You dig for materials and you build your creations. This in itself creates a lot of problems for Steve in general. Very few of the 104 stages are destructible for different reasons. With how Steve mines in his own games, he could very well just dig out the entire stage and make the game unplayable. Nintendo obviously wouldn't let that happen but there are other problems with that play style as well. Since the stages aren't designed with digging and building in mind, how would Steve even get the materials to build? Even if he did, it would be very limited compared to what he could do in Minecraft. He wouldn't be able to build a house because then he'd control the entire stage like placing blocks above him to create caves of life, create his own jab lock corner and even block characters from recovering from the edge which would be absolutely disastrous for the competitive Smash Bros scene to the point where the character would be outright banned. Again Steve needs digging and building in his moveset since that is what represents Minecraft the best, hence the name.

3. Steve is a third party character. That in itself isn't the problem but it's what Sakurai does with Third Party characters is the problem that Steve faces. Now for First Party characters, this is no problem as they are not guests like Captain Falcon who borrows little to nothing from his own games. Third party characters however often stay true to their main series as best as Sakurai and his team can make them out of respect for the franchises they appear in. If that isn't enough, they pull from the character's personality and style like Sonic where his movement is free flowing and full to the brim with attitude. Steve doesn't have a personality or style and he can't use a unique moveset since he's a guest character. He can't use Story mode or Dungeons animations since he doesn't appear in those games and they're spin-offs so it wouldn't be the main part of Steve.

4. Steve low key faces competition from Villager and Isabelle as the lifestyle representative. Now this maybe a very odd point but it's true. Villager and Isabelle pretty much do everything that Steve could do that would have made him unique and they do it better. Villager grows trees, Villager uses a shovel to dig for his down smash, Isabelle uses a Fishing rod, they both use slingshots to attack compared to Steve's arrows and they both build a house/town hall for their final smash.

5. Steve has Minecraft. The whole point of the game is to make your own experiences so you can make your own Smash Bros. He doesn't need Super Smash Bros when most of the fanbase are hardcore Minecrafters who barely play any other games. Sure it'd make Nintendo's part of the fanbase happy but what about the other 85% of the player base who play on PC, Xbox One, PS4, Android, IOS, Windows Phone? What about the fact that these fans have to switch to a completely different genre and console altogether? Will Minecrafters really enjoy Steve and Alex's inclusion if they can't use their own skins? The idea for Minecraft is for anyone to play the game on the system of their choosing, be the character they want to be and Steve being in Super Smash Bros wouldn't reflect that freedom. Lastly Smash Ultimate has Stage builder so having Minecraft would be quite redundant.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that Steve is 100% deconfirmed but these are the reasons why I don't think Steve has a good chance.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I’d just like to point out that Steve was completely absent from the Minecraft Earth trailer. Pikachu was the first Pokémon we saw in the original Pokémon Go trailer. It’s almost like Steve isn’t important to Minecraft.......
Steve is superfluous to Minecraft.

D

Deleted member

You do that while the rest of us get tired of this game and it's terrible character choices. Joker is the level of characters we're getting, ie terribly generic anime blade users with a down B counter and nothing original nor anyone with moveset potential and only characters that Sakurai wants.
What’s wrong with joker? He’s awesome so is erdrick and the other 3(one is mostly likley banjo)we don’t know about. I don’t get it why you hate anime sword users not all of them have a counter :ultlink::ultyounglink::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultrobin::ultcloud:

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
What’s wrong with joker? He’s awesome so is erdrick and the other 3(one is mostly likley banjo)we don’t know about. I don’t get it why you hate anime sword users not all of them have a counter :ultlink::ultyounglink::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultrobin::ultcloud:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but FAR too many characters have counter. It makes sense for a couple, sure (Shulk and Little Mac, for example), but why does King K. Rool have a counter? Why does Joker? Joker could be really cool and summon some demon (Jack Frost, I dunno?) but nope.

Too many characters have counter. It's fine for a few but as of right now too many have it. Almost seems like it's just an easy move to add in. Banjo-Kazooie could have it too (Golden Feathers) but I really hope they don't. There are better moves to pick from.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
If he weren't important, then he and Alex would not be consistiently used to represent Minecraft on literally all of their promo material / game covers.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Minecraft has just become the best selling video game of all time. Thoughts?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
While inpressive, I'm not that impressed, People always bring up how that it was always the "2nd best selling game of all time behind Tetris", But when you think about it.

- The game is half ($30) or most of the time a 1/3 ($20) of the price of a regular game ($60)

- "The best selling games of all time" was bound to be a multiplatform game since it's on every platform conceived, even on phones and tablets.

(Xbox 360/PS3/3DS/Wii U/PC/One/PS4/Switch/Mobile/Tablet)

- It launched in an era where Youtube was established and helped fully expose the franchise just like what Fortnite is going through right now compared to older IP's before it's time.

- I'm more impressed with Mario and Pokemon sales considering they are "Nintendo Exclusives" and would likely be the "Best selling games of all time" if they were multiplatform.

While I hate Minecraft, I won't deny that sales wise that is impressive to pull of in a decade, But just like the reasons I stated before, I'm not that impressed.

Last edited:
If he weren't important, then he and Alex would not be consistiently used to represent Minecraft on literally all of their promo material / game covers.
They’re not actually important to the game itself though. They’re just the face of the promotional material. And even then, they aren’t always the face of it

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He was still with Alex in the 10th Anniversary artwork.

I don't think they promote them much outside of promotional material because they're standard player/avatar characters, though I really don't get why they don't use them for some cool character stuff; not that they ever do that for anything, anyway, as the books with actual characters all come from other people (though I guess Mojang does publish them, I don't get why they ignore the fanbase Steve and Alex have). I guess they kinda did something cool with Alex in the 1.14 trailer...

-anyway, yeah they're important to some extent, otherwise they wouldn't be used at all.

Last edited:

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
Hey all! New member here.

I came and kind of lurked a bit through the excitement of the Google Theory. Banjo & Kazooie are my most wanted DLC characters, so I mostly want it to be true just for that (plus Doom Slayer would be pretty awesome). Looking at the cases both for and against it, it's looking like it's most likely not real, but I'm going to hold on to hope! I've been playing a lot of Phoenix Wright on my Switch lately since the trilogy recently got re-released and I had never played it before, and it's really gotten me to start looking at all of the different possibilities in situations.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Hey all! New member here.

I came and kind of lurked a bit through the excitement of the Google Theory. Banjo & Kazooie are my most wanted DLC characters, so I mostly want it to be true just for that (plus Doom Slayer would be pretty awesome). Looking at the cases both for and against it, it's looking like it's most likely not real, but I'm going to hold on to hope! I've been playing a lot of Phoenix Wright on my Switch lately since the trilogy recently got re-released and I had never played it before, and it's really gotten me to start looking at all of the different possibilities in situations.
Welcome, I just wanna say thank you for playing Ace Attorney, such a wonderful series.
And in regard of the Google theory, the more I think of it the more I think it might be fake.
But even if its fake I believe Banjo has a pretty good shot at being DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He was still with Alex in the 10th Anniversary artwork.

I don't think they promote them much outside of promotional material because they're standard player/avatar characters, though I really don't get why they don't use them for some cool character stuff; not that they ever do that for anything, anyway, as the books with actual characters all come from other people. I guess they kinda did something cool with Alex in the 1.14 trailer...

-anyway, yeah they're important to some extent, otherwise they wouldn't be used at all.
They’re not actually important to the game itself though. They’re just the face of the promotional material. And even then, they aren’t always the face of it

Exactly. All those novels with characters? They're basically usually starring OCs that aren't even in the game, or random creatures, like a cat, a Creeper, Skeleton, or what have you. It's the Monster Hunter of the West.

Anyway, I'll leave before the thread goes into the Five Stages of Grief for the Nth time, so see ya later I suppose...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Exactly. All those novels with characters? They're basically usually starring OCs that aren't even in the game, or random creatures, like a cat, a Creeper, Skeleton, or what have you.

Anyway, I'll leave before the thread goes into the Five Stages of Grief for the Nth time, so see ya later I suppose...
As I said, they're still important to some extent, otherwise they wouldn't be used at all. Fans even use them in stuff and like them so it confuses me why Mojang doesn't realize this and put them in more stuff, but at least they don't pretend they don't exist. Their marketing guys even take their own liberties, like the weird blue redstone in the 1.14 trailer, and I don't even know what Mojang thinks, all I know is one Senior Manager wouldn't personally like him and a Switch version dev likes the idea of Steve or a Creeper in Smash.

Though this "not important" stuff could also go for the standard AC Villager, as you can swap out his clothes and stuff to fit your own style, and the focus is just the tasks you do, decorating stuff or playing little games, or doing things for the other villagers...or whatever you want around the town.

Notch created Minecraft.
Yes, and sadly Notch started being weird or something, but he has had no part in the game since even sometime before he left Mojang and sold it to Microsoft.

Last edited:

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
That is just plain wrong. You just can't give others credit for what others have done.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm glad Miku is finally getting credit for her creation. It's a little late but it's good that people are finally recognizing her contribution to the industry.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think it may be saturation to him.
It might also be tied to balancing issues , I myself don't like how matchs go against Joker :
Neutral --- somebody win neutral and do their stuff --- Joker is at 70% and he get Arsene / he did a 40% string on you --- If he has Arsene , you need to play hit and run for 30 seconds.
Here's the problem : In this game , 70% is still a middle ground for a lot of characters. Only some heavyweight and glass canon can consider this as "Death %". You still need to commit to a pretty laggy move , like Bowser forward Smash , or maybe Metwo's disable (down-b) to slightly charged D-smash.
And trying to challenge Arsene is like trying to drink milk that stayed in your fridge for months : It's not a good idea , and it's not worth it.
If you win an interaction , cool ! If he win one , he's going to hit HARD. Not counting the fact that his F-smash is hard to punish on shield and kill at 80% at the middle of the stage with Arsene.
And even without Arsene , he's amazing at gimping and edguarding , so he's still dangerous.
But if he can't achieve something with Arsene... He's pretty much screwed for this stock.

So yeah , while I think the way he's balanced is a bit unpolished with some moves , he still has weaknesses. It's just that playing a run and hit gameplay for 30 seconds in every stock is plain' ol' boring , and that him winning 2 interactions + random F-smash will get him a stock when you destroyed him for a while can feel frustrating. And the Ultimate meta is actually slowly favoring the "You're going to approach first !" mentality... Only Pichu can break this mentality well , because his frame data is insane.

So yeah , + adding another counter as a special move is... Boring. Special moves are what define the character's personnality and concept. So when they are shared between differents charcters , even with tweaks , it feel less unique.

And yeah , the anime esthetic can seem a bit oversaturated , even if him and Chrom are the only one like that in Ultimate. But then I'm supporting Camilla , Henry , Billy Hatcher , Loki and Zizou Olympia , so I can like more manga-ish characters , or more shonen-ish characters.

I personnaly don't like anything about Joker myself , when I liked Cloud and others manga boi in Sm4sh DLC , so I can understand him.

Edit :
BTW , Erdrick isn't confirmed. A SE rep isn't confirmed either. And we don't know if the leaks are legitimate or not. I still don't know why people listened to Tansut once and didn't tried to dig deeper... Always double check everything , it's the internet.
I know you didn't said "Erdrick is in !" , but the way you worded it implied it.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Only 24 days and 19 hours to go until we hopefully get the confirmation we crave and I can party for a while before leaving the speculation scene forever lol. (I love it but I hate it so much) XD

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Only 24 days and 19 hours to go until we hopefully get the confirmation we crave and I can party for a while before leaving the speculation scene forever lol. (I love it but I hate it so much XD
my boy , you need to stay , we're going to start speculation again for Gruntilda and Yooka and Laylee after Banjo and Kazooie get in :4pacman:

More seriously , I'm pretty sure we would be rooting for Gruntilda right now if Banjo was Nintendo and was added to Melee. She would have been a :ultridley::ultkrool: kind of situation maybe.

And for Yooka and Laylee , Iv'e started the game today and discovered it with my mother. Pretty charming game over-all , been decades since iv'e played a 3D platformer/Collect-a-thon. It's not perfect , but I love it , so that's what matter most in the end. i don't think they would fit in as echoes , their capacities and over-all moveset are completely different. But it would be awesome to see these two duos together , it would make for pretty sweet interactions.
I think they got in another fighting game , was it Brawl Stars ? Brawlhalla ? I think it was Brawlout. Damn , they forgot Brawl was popular 12 years ago , now it's Ultimate

So yeah tl:dr : Even if Banjo and Kazooie got in , I'm pretty sure that some people will root for Gruntilda or Yooka and Laylee. (especially when a sequel will get released) Speculation will probably continue.
And yeah , there's also Conkers , but I was limiting myself to BK stuff + their spiritual succesor. I think Conker's Bad Fur Day is a bit too different , gameplay wise.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Only 24 days and 19 hours to go until we hopefully get the confirmation we crave and I can party for a while before leaving the speculation scene forever lol. (I love it but I hate it so much XD
23 days. I predict that Microsoft will announce Banjo in Smash and Nintendo will announce Rare Replay (and/or Banjo 3) a few days later.
That's my shot in the dark prediction.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
my boy , you need to stay , we're going to start speculation again for Gruntilda and Yooka and Laylee after Banjo and Kazooie get in :4pacman:

More seriously , I'm pretty sure we would be rooting for Gruntilda right now if Banjo was Nintendo and was added to Melee. She would have been a :ultridley::ultkrool: kind of situation maybe.

And for Yooka and Laylee , Iv'e started the game today and discovered it with my mother. Pretty charming game over-all , been decades since iv'e played a 3D platformer/Collect-a-thon. It's not perfect , but I love it , so that's what matter most in the end. i don't think they would fit in as echoes , their capacities and over-all moveset are completely different. But it would be awesome to see these two duos together , it would make for pretty sweet interactions.
I think they got in another fighting game , was it Brawl Stars ? Brawlhalla ? I think it was Brawlout. Damn , they forgot Brawl was popular 12 years ago , now it's Ultimate

So yeah tl:dr : Even if Banjo and Kazooie got in , I'm pretty sure that some people will root for Gruntilda or Yooka and Laylee. (especially when a sequel will get released) Speculation will probably continue.
And yeah , there's also Conkers , but I was limiting myself to BK stuff + their spiritual succesor. I think Conker's Bad Fur Day is a bit too different , gameplay wise.
You know what I'm thinking? What about the Sora dudes? If Banjo and Kazooie get into Super Smash Bros then I'm rooting for Sora next out of the respect of those guys and I have no interest in Kingdom Hearts.

Sora fans are kind of like us in a way. We both have been clamouring for their appearance in Smash Bros, we've both been let down by various leaks, we're always told our character is irrelevant and we're both fighting the good fight against our nemesis', Steve and Erdrick. We should help those guys out if our bear and bird duo get in.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

If a Yooka Laylee sequel addresses some of the problems with the first game, then I could see some support come their way but only after Shovel Knight and Shantae get playable representation. So it might be awhile, lol!

I personally think the sequel should really try to be its own thing and move away from the Banjo influence, especially if a Banjo Threeie ever sees the light of day. It will do well for Playtonic in the long run.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
You know what I'm thinking? What about the Sora dudes? If Banjo and Kazooie get into Super Smash Bros then I'm rooting for Sora next out of the respect of those guys and I have no interest in Kingdom Hearts.

Sora fans are kind of like us in a way. We both have been clamouring for their appearance in Smash Bros, we've both been let down by various leaks, we're always told our character is irrelevant and we're both fighting the good fight against our nemesis', Steve and Erdrick. We should help those guys out if our bear and bird duo get in.
Me personally I have a hard time rooting for characters I have no connection or interest in, so I could care less about Sora and Kingdom Hearts.

I'd rather go root for fellow Rareware rep in Dixie Kong, or Crash Bandicoot and a Pokemon (Gen 8 Rep), Banjo-Kazooie is a must for me, But any of the other 3 characters I mentioned here are frosting on the cake.

But the main reason I made this account was to help push for Banjo-Kazooie and to somewhat lesser extent King K. Rool, If Banjo-Kazooie does gets announced my days will be numbered here and will probably leave SmashBoards shortly afterwards or right before the end of the DLC cycle.

Last edited:

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
23 days. I predict that Microsoft will announce Banjo in Smash and Nintendo will announce Rare Replay (and/or Banjo 3) a few days later.
That's my shot in the dark prediction.
If those announcements were to be made, it'd be in opposite order of what you suggest. A new Banjo-Kazooie game would be on Xbox (like it or not) and would be announced by Microsoft on Sunday the 9th.

Conversely, Nintendo would be the one announcing Banjo-Kazooie for Smash alongside a Rare Replay Redux for Switch on Tuesday the 11th.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Google is fake but Banjo is still confirmed I'll stick around to speculate about the rest of the DLC. Phoenix Wright and Geno need all the help they can get. I go where I am needed.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
If those announcements were to be made, it'd be in opposite order of what you suggest. A new Banjo-Kazooie game would be on Xbox (like it or not) and would be announced by Microsoft on Sunday the 9th.

Conversely, Nintendo would be the one announcing Banjo-Kazooie for Smash alongside a Rare Replay Redux for Switch on Tuesday the 11th.
But what if the new Banjo Kazooie Game gets announced for the switch aswell?

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
If I remember correctly, I don't think a newcomer has ever been announced in a presentation what wasn't by Nintendo. I think that Nintendo likes doing Smash-related things on their terms.

That being said, I would be totally fine if this ended up being the exception and Microsoft got to announce Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. As long as the bear and bird get the attention they deserve.

Top Bottom