• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

osby

Smash Obsessed
https://twitter.com/Chupacaubrey/status/1114603431262478336

If this game ever gets a western rep(which it won't) it'll be Steve. Sakurai and Japan have a huge hard-on for Minecraft. And we all know this game is built on Sakurai's wants.
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/...witch-13-sentinels-aegis-rims-delay-and-more/

Did you all forget this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2CjQUBtbhY

Two big minecraft players in japan and sakurai doing a SSBU promo.
Minecraft is popular in everywhere, not only Japan. It's just there are less stigma about it in there.

But Steve is far from being the only possible playable character from a western created franchise. Sakurai kept the Smash fandom's wants in mind while making the base game. Characters like Banjo still have a chance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not necessarily. Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Maker and Smash itself were all major games that were announced in casual directs.

Smash's E3 announcements themselves haven't always been major. One year it was just Palutena and Miis.
Let's also remember that one 4 DLC character that was a pretty huge deal was announced in a humble Direct. :ultcloud:

Whoever gets shown next is simply a matter of timing, not having a big showstopper for the sake of having one (yes, Joker was at the VGAs, but that's mostly a West-centered event).

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Let's also remember that one 4 DLC character that was a pretty huge deal was announced in a humble Direct. :ultcloud:
We're pretty far past the point where certain characters have to be announced at certain events because of their popularity. K. Rool was thrown in there at the end of a random Smash direct.

The only thing I think in regards to Banjo being announced is that he is unlikely to be the last character in the pass. Since historically every final unveiling for Smash has been underwhelming for fans. That could easily change though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We're pretty far past the point where certain characters have to be announced at certain events because of their popularity. K. Rool was thrown in there at the end of a random Smash direct.

The only thing I think in regards to Banjo being announced is that he is unlikely to be the last character in the pass. Since historically every final unveiling for Smash has been underwhelming for fans. That could easily change though.
That goes for any part of a roster, base, unlockable, DLC, what have you (as shown by 4). Heck, if there's more than one pass, I could see the pattern repeat two more times after this.

I expect they might be able to sneak in a Gen 8 Pokémon at the end of the pass, if they managed to show off any concepts to Sakurai. Or it could be someone that's not accounted for like Poochy. :b:

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Considering Bass is Capcom like I mentioned, you listed like 3 Sonic characters and 2 Dragon Quest (which again I already mentioned) you're kinda proving my point.

What's more is Sora is owned by Disney, a western company.
Are we sure that Sora is owned by Disney? He seems to fit stylistically with the Final Fantasy characters that are also in the game. I thought Sora was an original development of Square-Enix.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Are we sure that Sora is owned by Disney? He seems to fit stylistically with the Final Fantasy characters that are also in the game. I thought Sora was an original development of Square-Enix.
He and the other original KH characters were obviously designed by Nomura at Square-Enix, but Disney owns the rights to them I believe. It's like how Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool, Krystal, etc are owned by Nintendo even though they were created by Rare.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
He was created by Square, and owned by Disney. Similar in theory to how Rare created Diddy but Nintendo always owned him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Whoever gets shown next is simply a matter of timing, not having a big showstopper for the sake of having one (yes, Joker was at the VGAs, but that's mostly a West-centered event).
And Joker may have been a matter of timing--if Persona does get some Switch release tie-in announcement soon, they may have had to showcase him at the VGAs. It just worked out that was a good character to show at the VGAs. But what I learned from Smash 4 and Ultimate is Sakurai doesn't save the best for last, or care about that sort of stuff. He just releases them when it suits their plans.

He and the other original KH characters were obviously designed by Nomura, but Disney owns the rights to them I believe. It's like how Dixie, K. Rool, etc are owned by Nintendo even though they were created by Rare/Steve Mayles.
From when I looked into it, someone from Disney said that while Disney owns KH along with Square Enix, it's ultimately up to Nomura. Now, that doesn't mean Disney couldn't present a problem--these negotiations can be quite complex. But it's not as crazy as a lot of people say. That being said, Sakurai may have chosen a DQ character regardless.

EDIT: A more accurate summary:

That's not really accurate. Disney owns Sora but they always consult Square and Nomura before using Sora. It's not even that they are required to do so they just really respect Nomura and have a high standard of making sure they doing the character and series justice which people sometimes think means Nomura decides what happens. They don't even have to do that, they just do. So yeah when it came to getting Sora in Smash it wouldn't be up to Nomura in any form. Disney might check to see if Square and Nomura thinks Sora in Smash is a good idea but the ones negotiating with Nintendo and Sakurai will be Disney.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Things are heating up for Banjo right now. Looks like we got new users trying to come in and bring the hype train down

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Here's my theory. The supposed Banjo reveal and Joker release was set to happen in March to coincide with the Loot-crate item. This was probably planned before the DLC finalization and DLC was revealed. Joker's reveal may have put a wrench in that plan, and Atlus' insistence to hold Joker's full reveal until they reveal news about P5S caused the schedule to be delayed. Im certain that Sakurai promised a more content filled reveal for the 2nd pack. Call it a hunch but I feel like development on Joker was finished and set for the March release, but held off due to Atlus. This might also explain how the Best Buy leak happened. Since the next reveal will feature more content, I suspect that Joker being finished in March freed up resources to work on Pack 2.

Poke holes in it if you wish, this is just how I see these bizarre events. The Loot Crate debacle just looks way to weird to be a coincidence. If PolarPanda feels quite confident about Rare Replay and says "You'll all really love what Nintendo has in store for next month." then it's possible this stuff will be dropping soon.
I think you’re giving Atlus way too much credit. You’re saying that Atlus now has the power to influence Nintendo and Microsoft, two of the biggest gaming companies in the industry? Sounds far fetched at best to me. I get that the supposed Jane alt might warrant waiting til Atlus properly announces what she is...

But it’s not like Nintendo couldn’t figure out several solutions to that problem that don’t involve letting Atlus strong-arm them into waiting on those kinds of announcements. They could show off Joker plenty without commenting upon the Jane alt and just let that be announced at the time of reveal. Or if anything Joker is the issue, just announce a release date for him with a “tune-in later for gameplay” type announcement. It wouldn’t go super well in the community, but we’ve seen Nintendo makes us wait before. I just don’t think Atlus has that sort of power at all, they’re the guest who was invited, I’d think they have to play by Nintendo’s rules.

Also, I’m not entirely convinced that something as big as a Microsoft/Nintendo collaboration in Smash Bros wouldn’t be E3 material. There’s something in a Banjo return that could just potentially play so much better to that arena then in a regular Direct.

You got to remember that fan favorites wasn't the key part of the discussion at the time since the Smash Ballot wasn't announced until the same month Mewtwo came out. Ever since the Smash Ballot was first announced in April of 2015, fan favorites were on most peoples mind as a possibility.
While I agree that part of the issue with new speculation is that everybody thinks that they’re character is really coming this time and they want them now... that’s not really an excuse for the overwhelming impatience I see some people express. This accelerated hype cycle for Ultimate hasn’t helped matters either.

It’s just like people expect a character basically every couple of months now, and if it’s not someone they want, they expect another even sooner to make up for their disappointment.

Never mind a game with 76 playable characters just dropped in December, the first playable DLC character dropped at the beginning of February (a like two month wait time compared to Mewtwo who was five months...), Joker already announced and coming this month as confirmed by Nintendo, and he’s probably coming with all new completely free modes in a major update.

Yeah, I’m really excited to see more about Joker and those modes, and yeah, I’m obviously curious as to what’s next in the Fighters Pass. But they’ve done enough already to where we don’t need everything about it announced immediately. We’re on a solid enough drip of content and again, Joker was obviously announced too early for his own good, so it’s just going to take time and patience.

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice

If this game ever gets a western rep(which it won't) it'll be Steve. Sakurai and Japan have a huge hard-on for Minecraft. And we all know this game is built on Sakurai's wants.
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/...witch-13-sentinels-aegis-rims-delay-and-more/

Huh? One of those guys is from Gamecenter CX. Had nothing to do with Minecraft. Dont know the other guy. They've showcased other games like this before release, I know they did Super Mario Party also. They arent "two big Minecraft players", don't know where you got that from.

If you're talking about the Minecraft heads they use to represent themselves, they do that in all the videos for all the guests, I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't use that as evidence for Steve... People used logic like that for Bandanna Dee.

Last edited:
Agreed. If Banjo is in, that's the kind of reveal you save for E3 to ow everyone's mind; especially with Nintendo and Microsoft running unopposed now that Sony is skipping
I mean, people always said the same thing about Smash Bros, but then they announced Smash Ultimate in a regular ol’ Nintendo Direct last year

You act like it’s physically impossible for Sakurai to communicate with a western studio. You act like he REFUSES to work with anyone outside of Japan. Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it never will. That’s such an ignorant mentality

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
With Microsoft and Nintendo working together, I bet they already have a plethora of translators at their side to make things easier. A language barrier shouldn't be too problematic for smash if that's the case

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
And Joker may have been a matter of timing--if Persona does get some Switch release tie-in announcement soon, they may have had to showcase him at the VGAs. It just worked out that was a good character to show at the VGAs. But what I learned from Smash 4 and Ultimate is Sakurai doesn't save the best for last, or care about that sort of stuff. He just releases them when it suits their plans.

From when I looked into it, someone from Disney said that while Disney owns KH along with Square Enix, it's ultimately up to Nomura. Now, that doesn't mean Disney couldn't present a problem--these negotiations can be quite complex. But it's not as crazy as a lot of people say. That being said, Sakurai may have chosen a DQ character regardless.
I agree with this post. I also would be surprised if DQ wasn't the next rep from Square Enix. Sora is a bigger name overall across all regions but DQ is the Japan favorite.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
After my Twitter thread blew up I've been seeing a lot of renewed interest in Banjo-Kazooie over on Twitter, especially after that box image got spread around

1554655031295.png

Maybe we can use this momentum for a big fan push? Not that it'll change our DLC odds any but keeps the conversation going

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
After my Twitter thread blew up I've been seeing a lot of renewed interest in Banjo-Kazooie over on Twitter, especially after that box image got spread around

View attachment 205516

Maybe we can use this momentum for a big fan push? Not that it'll change our DLC odds any but keeps the conversation going
Microsoft...microsolf happened

And Nintendo's missed opportunity to not buy them, that happened too

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
With Microsoft and Nintendo working together, I bet they already have a plethora of translators at their side to make things easier. A language barrier shouldn't be too problematic for smash if that's the case
Yeah. Especially since Microsoft is one of the biggest companies out there, I dont think it will be hard to get professional translators to communicate in a timely manner. If they managed to negotiate with Yacth Club, a small indie studio, they can definitley talk to MS.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That's not really accurate. Disney owns Sora but they always consult Square and Nomura before using Sora. It's not even that they are required to do so they just really respect Nomura and have a high standard of making sure they doing the character and series justice which people sometimes think means Nomura decides what happens. So yeah when it came to getting Sora in Smash it wouldn't be up to Nomura in any form. Disney might check to see if Square and Nomura thinks Sora in Smash is a good idea but the ones negotiating with Nintendo and Sakurai will be Disney.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's not really accurate. Disney owns Sora but they always consult Square and Nomura before using Sora. It's not even that they are required to do so they just really respect Nomura and have a high standard of making sure they doing the character and series justice which people sometimes think means Nomura decides what happens. They don't even have to do that, they just do. So yeah when it came to getting Sora in Smash it wouldn't be up to Nomura in any form. Disney might check to see if Square and Nomura thinks Sora in Smash is a good idea but the ones negotiating with Nintendo and Sakurai will be Disney.
That's what I was referencing, so if I said it sloppily, it's good to have a more accurate summarization.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So guys: do you think Banjo will be Brave? I think it’s a strong possibility but I don’t want to get my hopes up

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
So guys: do you think Banjo will be Brave? I think it’s a strong possibility but I don’t want to get my hopes up
The slide is suspicious, but I'm gonna assume it's someone else. Hoping it is tho. It would be a showstopper at e3 but that's means 2 more months of hoping and speculation. I'd rather have banjo be a possible April reveal, sit back, enjoy the rest of the dlc, and not worry about a thing.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Okay, since the conversation shifted a bit to Sora, here's what's actually been said: During a KH3 press event HMK, a prominent KHtuber asked one of the big guys in charge at Disney about Sora being in Smash.

https://www.khinsider.com/forums/in...nd-his-chances-at-being-in-smash-bros.216412/

TL;DR: Disney owns Sora but they have a special relationship with Nomura in that they always ask him first before they do anything with Sora. They know there is a sizable crowd that wants Sora to join Smash Bros and they're willing to play ball of Nintendo comes to them first

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
My hunch is I don't think so, but the point of code names (I think) is to obfuscate, so I feel like it's anyone's guess. It would be great, though, if true. I think Brave will be revealed next.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it's more likely to be Erdrick myself. Though other ones could be something like Agumon or Yuri. I feel like the usage of Brave is more significant than just "a guy who goes on an adventure cause they can". Jack has 3 possibilities of how it fits to Joker, and each one actually ties well(playing cards, Jack Frost, and Jack of all Trades).

BZocky

Smash Ace
If it’s gonna be a MS rep and they have no wildcards up their sleeve, then yes. I don’t think Master Chief or Rash would fit the height, and the slide makes me believe it isn’t Steve. Keep in mind this is only in the case that it will even be a MS rep which we are still in the dark about.
(Unrelated but Spring would be the perfect time for a Banjo-Kazooie related reveal)

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Fully convinced it's Erdrick or another DQ character. All the DQ content in the last Direct settled it for me.
I don't think that's a problem for Banjo though. I always expected him to be revealed at E3, considering both Nintendo and Microsoft will be there.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Yup, Im going by the stats alone, they fit Banjo and Kazooie too well

I think it’s Banjo, honestly. The only reason people think it’s Erdrick is because of leakers and the whole “Hero class” thing in DQ. But imo everything lines up much more for Banjo

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
The image is slightly edited, but this line is in Banjo....Tooie I believe?

Yup thats Banjo-Tooie alright, Also im pretty sure there was a Game manual or Box Art that called Banjo "Heroic", which could also be another word for Brave

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I still think Brave is Banjo; the stats fit him too well.
They could, but Sakurai can give any character any stats. Like there's no particular reason Yoshi has the highest air speed, Doctor Mario having a stronger back throw than Ness, Bowser being faster than a lot of smaller characters, Mii Gunner having the worst traction, etc.
The thing that is more interesting to me is when you also take into account Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter corrupting save files like piranha plant when played on a certain mode. I wonder if that means they used Swordfighter as a base for Joker and Duck Hunt perhaps as a base for Banjo Kazooie. Just speculation though, it could just be coincidences with both.

They could, but Sakurai can give any character any stats. Like there's no particular reason Yoshi has the highest air speed, Doctor Mario having a stronger back throw than Ness, Bowser being faster than a lot of smaller characters, Mii Gunner having the worst traction, etc.
The thing that is more interesting to me is when you also take into account Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter corrupting save files like piranha plant when played on a certain mode. I wonder if that means they used Swordfighter as a base for Joker and Duck Hunt perhaps as a base for Banjo Kazooie. Just speculation though, it could just be coincidences with both.
But when the slide and floatiness match Banjo perfectly, it’s hard to just write that off as a coincidence

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The most suspicious thing to me is Duck Hunt. I know they're on all fours while Banjo would be bipedal, but how many characters already come with a bird riding on their back? I would assume it would be easier to make duck hunt stand up than add a second model on the back of another character.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Fully convinced it's Erdrick or another DQ character. All the DQ content in the last Direct settled it for me.
I don't think that's a problem for Banjo though. I always expected him to be revealed at E3, considering both Nintendo and Microsoft will be there.
Yes, but that is logical. Nintendo is anything but logical. :chuckle:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Is it me or does "brave" seem like a super obvious nickname for edrick?
I still say its Slime

Sliding around and floaty? Checks out
They come in all sizes so one being as big as Mario isn't out there
DQ never caught on in the Wesg, but even people who don't play the games have SOME passing familiarity with the Slime.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I wouldn't put money on Brave being Banjo. The character's stats get thrown every which way to prove this and that, and given how long ago that data was found, I'm not sure it's going to practically mean anything to the eventual character we get.

There's just no way to say that Brave will really be any character when Joker was already such a left field pick that we all might as well be playing darts blindfolded in an attempt to figure out who's coming next.

And I still think it's a little too soon to see Banjo just pop up. I don't think he's the type of character you casually drop like that given his pedigree and relations to Nintendo and Microsoft. But, I suppose it's possible.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I still say its Slime

Sliding around and floaty? Checks out
They come in all sizes so one being as big as Mario isn't out there
DQ never caught on in the Wesg, but even people who don't play the games have SOME passing familiarity with the Slime.
What about the codename?

Top Bottom