• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
I've checked and nobody involved with Rare or Microsoft has said anything about Banjo in Smash since Phil Spencer in March of 2018 except for LootCrate, who promptly deleted the tweet and removed their Banjo merch.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys theraddestbro might be new to you but in his twitter description it said “EVERYTHING I SAY SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY” and I’m taking that Steve deconfirmation what he said seriously.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Could still just be a mii costume but yeah I think the silence is a good sign they're in somehow..
In general I'd be surprised if a Microsoft character became playable without others following as Mii costumes. Especially given how well some would fit the archetypes.

I've checked and nobody involved with Rare or Microsoft has said anything about Banjo in Smash since Phil Spencer in March of 2018 except for LootCrate, who promptly deleted the tweet and removed their Banjo merch.
What did Banjo's involvement in the LootCrate have to do with Smash?

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
In general I'd be surprised if a Microsoft character became playable without others following as Mii costumes. Especially given how well some would fit the archetypes.

What did Banjo's involvement in the LootCrate have to do with Smash?
LootCrate made a tweet about how wanting to see Banjo in Smash. It was then deleted and they promptly canceled any Banjo merchandise from their March crate.

D

Deleted member

hate to break it to yall but
995BA2E6-97D0-477D-9266-844849EC65AC.jpeg

Steve’s not dead

papagenos papagenos dont add him to your video

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Actually, Gregg Mayles DID say something about it...back in August last year.

This was before DLC was finalized, so take this as you will.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

The strange thing about looking at tweets during that time frame is that. We are not sure how long negotiations took on each character. August 10th was four months before they said the DLC list was finalized. But how long were those characters being negotiated for? It makes it to where these tweets can mean nothing or everything because I really doubt negotiating for a character is a quick thing. Or it might be who knows. Sakurai is a miracle worker in many ways like somehow getting Cloud back.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

And despite possible inferences, this statement doesn't preclude wheels already being in motion.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
And despite possible inferences, this statement doesn't preclude wheels already being in motion.
It's possible negotiations were still underway at the time of Gregg's tweet. For all we know, the decision to put Banjo in smash was probably reached a month, to maybe a week before the November finalization. Plus meeting together does not have to always involve face to face contact, phone calls could be made, video chats could've been done. Multiple meetings would have to be made. This includes the times Microsoft and Nintendo worked for Minecraft cross play, Cuphead on Switch, and so on.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's possible negotiations were still underway at the time of Gregg's tweet. For all we know, the decision to put Banjo in smash was probably reached a month, to maybe a week before the November finalization. Plus meeting together does not have to always involve face to face contact, phone calls could be made, video chats could've been done. Multiple meetings would have to be made. This includes the times Microsoft and Nintendo worked for Minecraft cross play, Cuphead on Switch, and so on.
You never really know, but I don't think that tweet had any bearing on when the characters had been selected, it was a response informing people the futility of requesting more characters after being bombarded post-final Direct. Had everyone been chill afterwards (hypothetical, obviously) I doubt we ever would've received those tweets in the first place.

To that end, it's possible some characters weren't decided until shortly before, but I personally think it's more plausible they'd all been selected months prior.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone that even if there was some sort of 100% confirmation that Steve isn't in, it wouldn't do anything to prove Banjo is. The three may all belong to Microsoft, but one's fate does not determine the other's. We really shouldn't be rooting for any character's downfall, no matter who they may be. It's just not cool. Thanks

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone that even if there was some sort of 100% confirmation that Steve isn't in, it wouldn't do anything to prove Banjo is. The three may all belong to Microsoft, but one's fate does not determine the other's. We really shouldn't be rooting for any character's downfall, no matter who they may be. It's just not cool. Thanks
Agree 100% with you, my friend. We have absolutely NO idea who the four new characters will be for the Fighter Pass. It's all in Nintendo and Sakurai's ball court. As people have said, and as I have felt, we have NO guarantee a Microsoft rep will be included. Sure, Microsoft and Nintendo have been super buddy buddy lately, and that's great! But did it give the Smash team enough time to seriously consider bringing in someone from there? And I would certainly hope if our beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies somehow made it in despite all odds against them, we'd celebrate WITHOUT bringing down the Steve fans or any other characters. You wouldn't like it if Steve made it in before Banjo & Kazooie and they bombarded our forums or rubbed in our faces, would you? Let's show a little decorum and respect for other fans. We're better than that. Let's be a little more like Banjo and a little less like Kazooie and not start any flame wars, if you know what I mean ;)

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I still don't think you can 100% write Steve off based on these things but the odds are really stacking up against him.

You also have to bare in mind that Steve only "took off" in terms of speculation leading off from Vergeben (and later Hitagi, who was discredited over the Katalina thing). There was never any reason to specifically believe Steve was in to begin with. It was the same assumptions and jumping to conclusions that lead people to thinking that Impa, Ridley, Sceptile, Chrom etc were in on Smash For.

Let's not jump to conclusions over Banjo but just recognise that he is in a good position at the moment.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo as a duck hunt clone makes no goddamn sense. Usually when this gets brought up, banjo fans will make a laundry list of things banjo can do that DH can't, but I'll make this short by asking a simple question:

Why the hell would nintendo go thru the hassle of getting permission to use banjo only to make him a clone? That would the biggest waste of time and money.

Of course we never have to worry about that, thanks to sakurai (the guy that gave a plant a unique moveset)
Just trying to picture Banjo as Duck Hunt makes me immediatley see a mental image of pure jank. Jank animations, jank moves, jank everything. Imagine Banjo running on all fours, with Kazooie as small as the duck on his back.
Imagine Banjo kicking explosive cans into the air, throwing clay pigeons out of his mouth, and summoning cowboys and banditos out of thin air.
Yep, they can work as clones just as well as K. Rool can be a Bowser clone (someone please get the picture of the whirling galleon).

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I still don't think you can 100% write Steve off based on these things but the odds are really stacking up against him.

You also have to bare in mind that Steve only "took off" in terms of speculation leading off from Vergeben (and later Hitagi, who was discredited over the Katalina thing). There was never any reason to specifically believe Steve was in to begin with. It was the same assumptions and jumping to conclusions that lead people to thinking that Impa, Ridley, Sceptile, Chrom etc were in on Smash For.

Let's not jump to conclusions over Banjo but just recognise that he is in a good position at the moment.
I'd like to add the reason we think a Microsoft character is in at all is because of Vergeben mentioning Minecraft content. Cross play, Microsoft exclusives coming to Switch, and rumors of Game Pass added to that connection. If Verge was completely misled on Microsoft content in Smash, then there may not be a Microsoft character at all in Smash for all we know, even with this explosion of Microsoft content elsewhere.

But I will say Banjo & Kazooie are in the best position they ever have been. Everything pointed to Banjo & Kazooie for me last year, and none of those have changed since. They still remain the missing piece for me.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I'd like to add the reason we think a Microsoft character is in at all is because of Vergeben mentioning Minecraft content. Cross play, Microsoft exclusives coming to Switch, and rumors of Game Pass added to that connection. If Verge was completely misled on Microsoft content in Smash, then there may not be a Microsoft character at all in Smash for all we know, even with this explosion of Microsoft content elsewhere.

But I will say Banjo & Kazooie are in the best position they ever have been. Everything pointed to Banjo & Kazooie for me last year, and none of those have changed since. They still remain the missing piece for me.
Or perhaps the missing Jiggy?

(chuckles in guh-huh)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Is anyone that truly anal about select screen aesthetics matching their own personal definition of what constitutes an echo? Because that just seems incredibly petty...most egregiously with the Star Fox cast, especially Wolf this time around.
Sure, it seems petty at first glance but the fact that they've given the option to stack some clones but not others this time around is really weird and, as someone who's tried to get into Tekken, it's also pretty unhelpful. A select screen of 40+ characters is rather hard to navigate and pretty daunting when you're looking to find the one you want to get good at. As a newcomer, it's a lot easier to pick one you like out of say 20 movesets, before honing in on your favourite variation thereon.

Stacking clones is a great feature but, under the current system, utterly worthless.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I'd argue that one of the main reasons people believe Banjo could come to Smash is because of the rare spirits found in the data (that still haven't been removed).

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice

I completely disagree on the Verge thing. Personally, my hope for Banjo and Kazooie became real when Phil Spencer started speaking out for them. That was more real than anything any "leaker" could say. Followed by Microsoft and Nintendo being all chummy. It's lookin pretty good right now.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Sure, it seems petty at first glance but the fact that they've given the option to stack some clones but not others this time around is really weird and, as someone who's tried to get into Tekken, it's also pretty unhelpful. A select screen of 40+ characters is rather hard to navigate and pretty daunting when you're looking to find the one you want to get good at. As a newcomer, it's a lot easier to pick one you like out of say 20 movesets, before honing in on your favourite variation thereon.

Stacking clones is a great feature but, under the current system, utterly worthless.
Not to mention they strangely don't have an option to organise Fighters by series, though you can on the website...
Well, my previous prediction is looking pretty good right now (Erdrick, Banjo, RE rep and Crash)
I'd honestly be pretty okay with that.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
So papagenos just made a video about this whole fiasco, and people are saying: "she wouldn't know anything about that" and "she was just being sarcastic".

I feel like a senior manager definitely would know. And she never gave any indication she was joking.

I say we keep an eye on twitter

DevinY1

Smash Cadet
So papagenos just made a video about this whole fiasco, and people are saying: "she wouldn't know anything about that" and "she was just being sarcastic".

I feel like a senior manager definitely would know. And she never gave any indication she was joking.

I say we keep an eye on twitter
I watched it too most were in denial

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I would wholeheartedly support a Minecraft stage builder. The theming of smash stage builders in the past was really boring. Make it Minecraft themed with Minecraft mechanics and you have my attention
I do not Support Steve as a character At all, but a Minecraft Stage builder? I'd be completely on board for that, in fact, that would be the first time a Series got its very own Mode within smash.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I completely disagree on the Verge thing. Personally, my hope for Banjo and Kazooie became real when Phil Spencer started speaking out for them. That was more real than anything any "leaker" could say. Followed by Microsoft and Nintendo being all chummy. It's lookin pretty good right now.
Obviously when Phil Spencer tweeted the first time, that caught my attention. Reiterating it last year, gave me hope. But many have said they would like their characters in Smash--it doesn't matter until Sakurai wants them. Nintendo and Microsoft can collaborate on pretty much anything--Game Pass, Rare Replay on Switch, etc. and still not have a character in Smash.

So, for me, it was Verge's claim of Microsoft content in Smash that made it not only a possibility, but an indication that Banjo & Kazooie could be in, as I feel a Nintendo/Microsoft collaboration in Smash would need a character, and Banjo & Kazooie is on the top of the list (from my point of view). However, after seeing the base roster of the game, and PP, that led to enormous doubts as to Sakurai's view on characters.

For better or for worse, literally any character could be in Smash if Sakurai wants them to be* (outside of legal considerations). So, while I'm not as certain Banjo & Kazooie would be his choice, it's still the best chance they've had in years.

*Of course, this time around, Nintendo had a list of DLC characters, and Sakurai chose from that. What the list could have looked like, what limitations there were--is up in the air. I could see it going either way, good or bad for Banjo & Kazooie's chances. But, in the end, Sakurai makes the final decision.

Top Bottom