• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
This has to be the most punished fandom in existence, we just can't catch a damn break
I mean, it could be much worse. Banjo-Kazooie is at least getting plenty of acknowledgment for its 20th anniversary this year, maybe not with a game, but plenty of merchandise and extras. It's not forgotten anyway. And in regards to Smash, well, at least Banjo-Kazooie isn't deconfirmed like Shadow or Isaac, or perhaps other characters if Spirits mean more than we think they do. There's really nothing out there that says they can't still be in this thing. Nothing legitimate anyway.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If I had one wish that would came true, it would be that Rare never left Nintendo and got completely bought out by them instead of Microsoft.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
B-K always made more sense to me as a DLC character anyways, something tells me it would be easier to negotiate them in as DLC rather than being in the base game. What do I know though

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I mean, it could be much worse. Banjo-Kazooie is at least getting plenty of acknowledgment for its 20th anniversary this year, maybe not with a game, but plenty of merchandise and extras
But that's what makes it MORE insulting, they're doing literally EVERYTHING but the ONE thing we want them to do

They KNOW the demand is there, they KNOW we want a new game, they KNOW we want them to make a comeback, but they just won't DO IT!

Banjo is a dead series that Microsoft won't stop parading the corpse around for to gain nostalgia points. They won't give us a new game but they'll gladly sell us a tiny plushy! Banjo is nothing to them but a face to slap on merch to appeal to the old crowd. Every year someone from Microsoft teases the idea that a new Banjo could come at an event and it never happens

"HEY LOOK! WE STOLE THAT THING YOU LIKE! Maaaaaybe we'll do something with it~ Tune in to find out and buy our merchandise!"

Phil Spencer saying he'd love to have them in Smash is just him saying whatever he can to get people talking about their brand. People could have been clamoring for Conker instead and he would have said the exact same thing

And Rare? Rare at this point has two jobs: Work on Sea of Thieves, and to every now and then say "Hey, remember when we USED to be cool?"

But hey, at least I can have my tiny plushy and pretend amiibo, so it all works out, right?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm with all of you on the side of them still having a real chance. Last week no one knew if there would be any DLC at all and now all of a sudden people are quite sure of 4 of them? With the main source being a text leak that hasn't really earned credibility from Smash? Sure, they've leaked accurately before, so you can't dismiss it outright, but it's a little too hard to believe that they all of a sudden know all the DLC, especially how sketch and unclear it all sounds.

I think we need to take a step back from all of the possible DLC leaks and look at the facts and details we have. Don't count them out just yet.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Looks like today is Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolt's 10 year anniversary.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the game. Was it a misunderstood gem, or a disgrace on the legacy of the franchise?

What would be your reaction if Microsoft and Rare celebrated its anniversary?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Looks like today is Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolt's 10 year anniversary.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the game. Was it a misunderstood gem, or a disgrace on the legacy of the franchise?

What would be your reaction if Microsoft and Rare celebrated its anniversary?
The idea of Nuts & Bolts isn't a bad idea for a game, but it's a bad idea to have made it a Banjo & Kazooie game. It should have been an original IP instead of a Banjo & Kazooie game, I would have liked it more if it wasn't a Banjo & Kazooie game.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Last week no one knew if there would be any DLC at all and now all of a sudden people are quite sure of 4 of them?
Well, honestly, everyone knew DLC was coming before that direct. It was a given, no way they wouldn't support one of the best selling games and try to profit further from it. What probably nobody expected was confirmation of 5 more characters and a season pass, before the release.

They KNOW the demand is there, they KNOW we want a new game, they KNOW we want them to make a comeback, but they just won't DO IT!
The thing is... Are we sure there is enough demand? Like, in my case, I feel like there's a lot of demand because I visit r/BanjoKazooie, I follow a bunch of B&K fan accounts on Twitter, this thread on this forum, and I'm in 2 B&K themed discord servers. But what if we're just unaware of how small we are?

Like, even if there's 5000 fans of the game passionate enough to raise their voices and demand more Banjo & Kazooie... We're all concentrated in a few places, talking to eachother. So we feel big. But 5000 is nothing for a big company to consider making a big investment on a game. If their marketing department has done research and don't find enough demand or trends for this kind of game/genre, then they wont do anything. They'd need to have tens or even hundreds of thousand fans to stard calculating sales probability and see if they could get a return investment. Nuts & Bolts sold terribly. They have no confidence on the IP and have no statistical data backing up our claims that "there's demand".

I apologize, I'm back to being a pessimist.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Nuts & Bolts was both a Gem & a descrace to the IP
you don't go 8 years after promasing a sequle on a whole other console after an entire gen of consoles skiped & change the gameplay character art & make it PART OF THE STORY that they are washed up characters & that nobody wants that kind of gameplay anymore & **** on old fans saying lol people only whant shooters & the like.

The story has NOT AGED WELL ! espesally when you consider the state of gaming with alway just shooters but now "battle royals" grinding & grinding B/C they want you to pay 60$ upfront ! Plus DLC ! plus MicroTransactions! plus LOOTBOXS! (AKA GAMBLING FOR KIDS TEENS & ADULTS!) all for 1 year then BUY ARE NEW GAME ! & DO IT ALL AGAIN NEXT YEAR ! the corprate greed in gaming is descusting ! that & physical games are dieing ! are rights to own physical games is dieing (& games keep getting easyer for "everbody" looking at you pokemon go) Its like nuts & bolts story was like yeah everything you love is guna DIE! & be taken over by casulas who spend there money willy nilly for us to exploit there wallets on buggy unfinshed games!

gamming is not for US it for wales to be milked to death

plus the ending of nuts & bolts where they get there moves back & teased a old style game & HAD STOP N SWAP 2 ! witch has **** all ! they never used it !

ALL I KNOW IS SAMSH ULTIMATE IS AT LEAST A GAME WORTH ITS VALUE !

& phil spencer IDK if he is full of **** or not but seams like it he has been teasing "bringing back old rare IP" but barley anything has happened espeally with rare's BIGEST MOST LOVED IP! yet the head of rare wants to do the opposite & only make & use new IP from them? WTF ?
With the Xbox One not selling as great as it could not having enough 1 party titles to support it AT ALL ! no reason to buy an X1 (DUMB NAME! horrble lauch in gaming history IMO with the alawys online DRM BS) & Phil says last E3 "we are commited to strengthaning are 1st party line up" then delays game, cancles games & just buys up a bunch of studios & say yeah they will make us games......WITH AFTER HOW THEY TREATED RARE & ITS IP FOR OVER A DEACADE ?!?! ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING BELOVED COMPANYS IN GAMING & THEY KILLED IT OUTRIGHT ! & we are suposed to beleve they are going to do well with these new companys ??? NEED MORE 1ST PARTY TITLES FOR XBOX PHIL ???? MAKE A MOTHER ****ING BANJO KAZOOIE GAME ! OR A REMAKES ! FFS ! FANS FOR YEARS!!!!! HAVE BEEN BEGGING & YOU DON"T GIVE A FLYING **** !

Yookalaylee made MILLONS ON KICKSTARTER ! & was a dissapointment but a fun game, crash & spyro are getting remakes !, A HAT IN TIME ! SUPER MARIO ODESSY ! heck even ZBOTW not a platformer but was about exploring & puzzles ! WHAT MORE IN THE UNIVESRE NEED TO ALINE FOR THEM TO SEE THAT NOW!!! IS THE TIME TO DO ****ING SOMETHING WITH BANJO !!! if rare don't want then SELL HIM OFF! (not to actavistion tho! they would be even worse!)

Xbox NEEDS some good will Phil ! after what you did to rare there IP the greedy way the Xone tryed to be at launch & the lackluster xbox one has been in theis generation ! I WILL NEVER BUY AN XBOX PRODUCT AGAIN! & I had the 1st Xbox & the xbox 360 they were fun but now that i switch to PS & nintendo & PC gaing at my freind there is no reason for an xbox for me & building this HATE for what you did to an IP we love dosn't make me want to support there sytems (they even did halo durty on xbox one ! NO SPLIT SCREEN! BUGS! AWFULL!)

oops sorry rant over

volbound1700

Smash Master
Honestly, with the list of DLC by Hitagi, does Nintendo expect to sell the DLC? None of those characters push the needle.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'm genuinely curious if Banjo-Kazooie does end up being in DLC, would you look back on posts like that and feel silly? Now, admittedly, BK in Smash wouldn't mean that they aren't still treating BK as a series poorly.

I'm not saying you don't have some valid points, you do, but where we're at right now hardly constitutes a 0% chance that they won't show up as DLC. Overly optimistic, sure, but whatever.

But I agree with Rigumaro as well. It's easy to find groups of fans in organized communities, but seeing the big picture is very likely why we haven't seen a resurgence of them already. Sure, they were gaming legends 15 years ago, but that was an era of collectathon games, adventure platformers, and different times. The BK games themselves are a gem, but many other series met their fate (Gex, Glover, to a degree Crash and Spyro) and with them the genre sort of died out. Mario is of course the main exception, and Spyro tries from time to time (though I don't like their cash grab Skylanders approach...).

Now, that all said, I think that as characters, Banjo and Kazooie would be appealing to people that have 0 idea where hey came from. A bear that wears a backpack that contains a bird, to me, is instantly likeable. You don't need to know their story, their relationship (...do we know?), their game, or anything about them to look at them on a character select screen and be like "oh, that's neat".

So I dunno, I think Rare could make them come back successfully as much as anything else, it just comes down to whether they want to or not. I really think that's what it comes down to for Smash too. I like if they really wanted them to be in Smash, they will be. Sure, Nintendo has the last say, but there would be little reason to not at least consider them. They're important to some people at least, I'm pretty sure they know that.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
The thing is... Are we sure there is enough demand? Like, in my case, I feel like there's a lot of demand because I visit r/BanjoKazooie, I follow a bunch of B&K fan accounts on Twitter, this thread on this forum, and I'm in 2 B&K themed discord servers. But what if we're just unaware of how small we are?

Like, even if there's 5000 fans of the game passionate enough to raise their voices and demand more Banjo & Kazooie... We're all concentrated in a few places, talking to eachother. So we feel big. But 5000 is nothing for a big company to consider making a big investment on a game. If their marketing department has done research and don't find enough demand or trends for this kind of game/genre, then they wont do anything. They'd need to have tens or even hundreds of thousand fans to stard calculating sales probability and see if they could get a return investment. Nuts & Bolts sold terribly. They have no confidence on the IP and have no statistical data backing up our claims that "there's demand".

I apologize, I'm back to being a pessimist.
I think that the demand is there, it's just that nobody's organized. Every time I see a smash bros announcement on twitter, I usually see highly upvoted comments for Banjo. Also whenever I see people making lists for characters they want/predict as DLC, Banjo is almost always in them. He's one of those figures that almost everybody in the community is aware of and likes, but nobody really feels the need to make an organized push for him like Ridley, K Rool, and now to some extent Isaac.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think that the demand is there, it's just that nobody's organized. Every time I see a smash bros announcement on twitter, I usually see highly upvoted comments for Banjo. Also whenever I see people making lists for characters they want/predict as DLC, Banjo is almost always in them. He's one of those figures that almost everybody in the community is aware of and likes, but nobody really feels the need to make an organized push for him like Ridley, K Rool, and now to some extent Isaac.
There is no support for any of the characters listed by Hitagi or for Incineroar yet they are in or appear very likely. Support has nothing to do with characters being picked. We got lucky that they gave us two characters that were requested KRool and Ridley.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There is no support for any of the characters listed by Hitagi or for Incineroar yet they are in or appear very likely. Support has nothing to do with characters being picked. We got lucky that they gave us two characters that were requested KRool and Ridley.
Support can be a factor though. Sakurai said at the Treehouse back at E3 that he put in Ridley because of the massive fan out cry in the west, and he mentioned K. Rool doing extremely well in the Smash Ballot sometime after he was revealed. So without fan support, Ridley and K. Rool would have never got in and still would have been overlooked like they both have in the past 4 games.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The demand is definitely there. Yooka-Laylee wouldn't have been such a booming success on Kickstarter if there wasn't demand, and Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't have won the most recent Smash character poll that was all over the internet a month or so ago either. There's definitely demand. I advise just having a little bit of patience... I know, I know, it's already been over a decade since the last new game, but things are looking up if this year is any indication. Just, relax, and wait for the DLC to roll in over this next year and a half... Grab a hammock, crack open a coconut, and put on some snazzy beach tunes, cuz we got some time ahead of us. No worries though.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While not surprising, You can see Microsoft's Xbox commercials/promo's during X018 and on TV and clearly see who their audience/market is.

I doubt a majority of their demographic would be excited about a little kids game about a bear and bird and would probably sell ok at best on their platform.

This is just me, But it seems like even kids on Xbox or (most of kids gaming these days) only like playing Minecraft, Fortnite and licensed lego games and probably wouldn't even bother picking up Banjo-Kazooie.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The demand is definitely there. Yooka-Laylee wouldn't have been such a booming success on Kickstarter if there wasn't demand, and Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't have won the most recent Smash character poll that was all over the internet a month or so ago either. There's definitely demand. I advise just having a little bit of patience... I know, I know, it's already been over a decade since the last new game, but things are looking up if this year is any indication. Just, relax, and wait for the DLC to roll in over this next year and a half... Grab a hammock, crack open a coconut, and put on some snazzy beach tunes, cuz we got some time ahead of us. No worries though.
Once the game comes out I suspect the wait will be easier. It will for me st least! I'm excited for the game regardless of who ends up being DLC. I've absolutely loved every Smash game so far and this ones going to be no different.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
In that case... A smart business move by Microsoft would be to reintroduce Banjo-Kazooie to a younger generation, and one way of doing that would be to put Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare games on a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, or, in addition to that, Super Smash Bros.. Create some awareness, get a little buzz out, and not just announce a brand new game without proper re-introduction. Sure, Rare Replay could've been that, but using Nintendo's abilities to draw in a wider audience, and younger audience, could be a winning ticket to get that same audience to crossover to a new Banjo on Xbox or even X-Cloud. Microsoft wins, Nintendo wins, fans win, and new gamers win... It's a good idea, but we'll see what happens in the next few years.

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
In that case... A smart business move by Microsoft would be to reintroduce Banjo-Kazooie to a younger generation, and one way of doing that would be to put Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare games on a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, or, in addition to that, Super Smash Bros.. Create some awareness, get a little buzz out, and not just announce a brand new game without proper re-introduction. Sure, Rare Replay could've been that, but using Nintendo's abilities to draw in a wider audience, and younger audience, could be a winning ticket to get that same audience to crossover to a new Banjo on Xbox or even X-Cloud. Microsoft wins, Nintendo wins, fans win, and new gamers win... It's a good idea, but we'll see what happens in the next few years.
That's how I've been thinking about it too lately. It doesn't matter that only the old fans want Banjo back. It's the character that's important, not his fans. I'm sure that if the younger audience sees Banjo and Kazooie's design it'll get them interested.
"A bear with a bird in its backpack? That's kinda cool. I wonder where they're from"
*cue re-releases of the BK games*
"Yup, totally buying that now."
The older fans don't even matter in this scenario. And would Nintendo really be so stubborn to intentionally not add them to Smash because it might profit their competitor a bit as well? Maybe. They pull some stupid moves every now and then, but they can also go with the flow as you can see with the release of multiple phone games.

I think the real problem is that they simply just don't know how popular Banjo and Kazooie are. After all, Sakurai was suprised K. Rool was so popular, and he was wanted all over the world (Same with Banjo and Kazooie, they're quite popular in Japan too, although probably not a consistent #1 as they have been in the west as of lately). I fear Nintendo just doesn't scout the internet for customer demands (enough). ...Hire me, Nintendo?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I mean, I got into Banjo-Kazooie through the Xbox 360 rereleases, and Nuts and Bolts, when I was a lad. Plus, there's Rare Replay too. I think that there's a decent argument that kids DO know who Banjo is, and that while a bit of a bit player, he is not a nobody even in this day and age.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Don't forget that Banjo-Kazooie would help Nintendo as well, with DLC sales and most importantly, the Nintendo 64 Classic Edition. Getting Rare on board for that would help Nintendo considerably. Both parties would benefit to this partnership, I'm sure of it.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'm genuinely curious if Banjo-Kazooie does end up being in DLC, would you look back on posts like that and feel silly?
Oh I would never mind that. I really hope I'm wrong and you guys call me out on all of this. Because that would mean they're in.

While not surprising, You can see Microsoft's Xbox commercials/promo's during X018 and on TV and clearly see who their audience/market is.
I doubt a majority of their demographic would be excited about a little kids game about a bear and bird and would probably sell ok at best on their platform.
I think this is a very good point. Look for example "Super Lucky's Tale". A platformer, kid-friendly game, and how badly it sold. When they announced it, I remember being shocked, it seemed so out of place as a Microsoft exclusive. I may be wrong but I have the impression that most people who have Xbox are just for Halo/Gears of Wars/Forza/Various sport games/the ocassional mature multi-plat. People who liked these kind of games or want these games for their kids, go to Nintendo for them. I'm fairly certain that if there was a Banjo Threeie on the switch, it would sell well. On the Xbox One, not so sure. And it wouldn't make sense to make financially to fund a game to be sold on a 3rd party console.

In that case... A smart business move by Microsoft would be to reintroduce Banjo-Kazooie to a younger generation...
I know you meant this as "re-release the first games", but it made me remember how Sega tried to "reintroduce" Sonic to a younger generation, and the result being Sonic Boom, lol.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Haha, Sonic Boom. And you guys are all definitely right. Give the original BK a Spyro Reignited makeover, or at least make it look like not a game from 1998, and I'm sure a younger audience would be interested. It has charm and some really great starring characters.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I know that if Banjo Kazooie & Tooie got released on the switch they'd be an instabuy for me.

Quick confession: I never played Banjo Tooie because I didn't get it for the N64 and I'm not really willing to buy an Xbox just for the sake of playing it.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I know that if Banjo Kazooie & Tooie got released on the switch they'd be an instabuy for me.

Quick confession: I never played Banjo Tooie because I didn't get it for the N64 and I'm not really willing to buy an Xbox just for the sake of playing it.
I'd buy and play them on any console I currently have if that happened. I have pretty much everything other than an XBox, but not really into the idea of buying one for Rare Replays. I'd probably buy or at least rent one for a BK3 though. Or remaster.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
IMG_5517.jpg

Like, what even. That was a response to something along the lines of Square and Bamco's DLC picks. I suggest anyone that is following these rumors as facts seriously waits until some officials news comes out, or at least some other reputable sources report on it. Reading that person's Reddit basically raises every possible red flag you could have.

I'm not saying they're wrong, they've leaked legit stuff for different games before, but man is this a hard sell.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
It’s all still open for speculation and all the while not a word from Rare. Just seems curious.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
View attachment 177293

Like, what even. That was a response to something along the lines of Square and Bamco's DLC picks. I suggest anyone that is following these rumors as facts seriously waits until some officials news comes out, or at least some other reputable sources report on it. Reading that person's Reddit basically raises every possible red flag you could have.

I'm not saying they're wrong, they've leaked legit stuff for different games before, but man is this a hard sell.
That person has backpedalled so many times I wouldn't even be paying attention them lol

JonSmash

Smash Ace
BUT super lucky's tail looked WAY too kiddy ! & the game looked like trash to me I wouldn't even of been intrested in LOL

Nazyrus Nazyrus then why did verge back them ? (If im not mistaken ?) & wasn't he thowing shad papagenos papagenos just the other day ?

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Super Lucky's tale was destined to fail, It was Microsoft's halfass low risk attempt to get a 3D platformer out there from some no name low budget studio, It really was made way too "Kiddy" and it look like it was made for under the age of 5. It never stood a chance on a console with Xbox's demographic.

Banjo-Kazooie while also has kid friendly appeal, Is more of a E10+ game with higher Cartoon violence, Comic mischief, Snarky insult humor and innuendos. While Banjo-Kazooie is a dead franchise it still has a bigger name recognition and nostalgia for older gamers and were actually really good games that would appeal to Nintendo's audience, I don't think it would sell that great on Xbox ,But would do ok at best with that demographic.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
View attachment 177293

Yeah, like I was saying before, even if he had a decent record with other games, what matters is his track record regarding Smash Bros, and from what I know, he doesn't have that good of one. Plus, if I'm recalling correctly, Vergeben didn't have that great a track record when it came to leaks for other games, but he's done pretty damn well with Smash. Therefore, Hitagi having a decent record with other games doesn't matter here.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
BANJO TOOIE HAD BLOOD IN IT ! banjo would smash enemys & there bodys would break apart lol XD

super luckys tail look like a Nick Jr. show XD

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace

This is just me, But it seems like even kids on Xbox or (most of kids gaming these days) only like playing Minecraft, Fortnite and licensed lego games and probably wouldn't even bother picking up Banjo-Kazooie.
I don't think I quite agree. Don't forget about games like Ori or Cuphead. Both of which have been asked to be in Smash Bros as well.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Hush_ Hush_ I call BS on those leaks B/C if true Grant wuld be under NDA & wouldn't be tweeting very negitive no hope based tweets if he came back to re do the soundtrack of the remakes

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Hush_ Hush_ I call BS on those leaks B/C if true Grant wuld be under NDA & wouldn't be tweeting very negitive no hope based tweets if he came back to re do the soundtrack of the remakes
Grant is a free lancer these days, and therefore not subject to NDAs.

As for the leak, anything from 4chan is fake by default

Top Bottom