• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

At the end of the day, I just want to see whether any fears are completely unwarranted, because these arguments have become so tiresome that you might as well just use a MyPillow to hibernate for the next few months.

And I realise that I say this in a thread that's specifically about a bear.
Agreed, I’ve gotten so tired of speculating. Just give us some news already, Nintendo. Better yet, just give us Banjo already so we can sit back and enjoy the rest of the ride

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's been a year since Ultimate has been announced and possibly almost one more year left of more speculation the good news is that every couple of months for each reveal could finally be the closure we have been waiting for, But at the same time...

(Sigh) I'm just so damn tired.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For the record, I won't be fussy about who the second character is as long as it can actually catch someone off-guard. Have someone that hasn't been brought up much, for Master Hand's sake.

possibly almost one more year left of more speculation
Assuming there aren't any unexpected extensions, of course.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
All I know is. If Steve is announced I'm just gonna go ahead and check my self out from smash speculation for the rest of the fighter pass. I doubt any character afterwards will make the fighter pass worth it to me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All I know is. If Steve is announced I'm just gonna go ahead and check my self out from smash speculation for the rest of the fighter pass.
Meanwhile. I'll just wonder what other major gaming icons could be announced. But at least it really helps B&K getting in the game at some point. Since they don't have the presence Steve does, they also have a harder time getting in. Getting in the bigger Microsoft options only helps the lesser known characters have more chances.

So in the end, it helps B&K. Even if we have to wait another Smash, that's still pretty nice. Or it could be a second Fighter's Pass. Their chances only increase if any other Microsoft character gets in, so it's nothing but a good thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also remember this: we could simply get no Microsoft character at all, due to Japanese investors having cold feet yet again. I cannot stress this enough.

Speaking of passing the time, I'm going to actually do that by sleeping, so I'll be seeing you next time, I suppose.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So in the end, it helps B&K. Even if we have to wait another Smash, that's still pretty nice. Or it could be a second Fighter's Pass. Their chances only increase if any other Microsoft character gets in, so it's nothing but a good thing.
I wish people would stop saying this. Just because one Microsoft character gets in doesn't magically mean that Banjo is a sure thing to happen. Like just because Diddy Kong is in doesn't mean that Dixie Kong is going to appear right after him. A lot of us have gotten real sick of having to wait for the next game..and the next game...and the next game...and the next game....and the next game. Nintendo might not want to negotiate for another Microsoft character down the line. Steve might be a one-off because he is technically a multi-platform owned by Microsoft and not a Microsoft exclusive. But regardless. I wouldn't say Steve getting in means good things for Banjo at all until I see Banjo's reveal trailer my self.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
All I know is. If Steve is announced I'm just gonna go ahead and check my self out from smash speculation for the rest of the fighter pass. I doubt any character afterwards will make the fighter pass worth it to me.
I would probably do the same thing, Some may see it as a good thing since Microsoft is on board and I can kind of see why, But at the same time that would just leave 3 roster slots left and while not impossible, I honestly doubt Nintendo would include 2 western characters from the same company for the remaining DLC slots.

The way I see it:

If there's only 1 season pass then I think it's a likely death sentence for Banjo-Kazooie.

If there's a 2nd season pass then their chances just significantly went up.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wish people would stop saying this. Just because one Microsoft character gets in doesn't magically mean that Banjo is a sure thing to happen. Like just because Diddy Kong is in doesn't mean that Dixie Kong is going to appear right after him. A lot of us have gotten real sick of having to wait for the next game..and the next game...and the next game...and the next game....and the next game. Nintendo might not want to negotiate for another Microsoft character down the line. Steve might be a one-off because he is technically a multi-platform owned by Microsoft and not a Microsoft exclusive. But regardless. I wouldn't say Steve getting in means good things for Banjo at all until I see Banjo's reveal trailer my self.
No, what it means is that Microsoft is already willing to work more with Nintendo and Smash. That only heightens Banjo's chances. That's what Steve or any Microsoft character appearing in Smash does.

Dixie hasn't gotten in for her own reasons. She wasn't plausible in Brawl, which is the reason only Diddy got in. They were meant to be a team. She likely hasn't gotten in because Sakurai is still trying to figure out a team up mechanic for her, something that wasn't a necessity for Diddy, as he didn't need it to stand out at the time. There's a very hefty chance he believes this is needed for her, and that makes her impossible in 4 since any tag team mechanics that are transformation-based were impossible. And King K. Rool was higher priority than her in Ultimate, making her more difficult to make, and thus, put on the burner for now. Diddy getting in has nothing to do with why Dixie isn't in. It's her own mechanic being impossible that has kept her out at best. Seeing as how she has yet to get in still, it's probably going to stay that way for a while. He might forego it and make her an echo or semi-clone at some point, but there's really nothing to suggest that is likely to happen at all. There's at least realistic reasons she's not playable yet based upon what stopped her from being playable in Brawl. Any other reason is baseless at this point.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Steve getting in at this point in the DLC lineup would seriously kill enthusiasm in the pass. At this point it is clear that games sales does not guarantee a spot in Smash bros. What matters if if they work as a fighter with recognizable moves derived from their games. K.rool, Simon, and even Joker are clear examples of that. With how everyone tries to use Minecraft's sales as an argument, you'd think people would argue more on if they work in the Smash Bros world as a viable character.

Bottom line here is that we Banjobros have been waiting for years for this opportunity and now people are arguing that we have to bow to some blocky, ugly, soulless character like Steve before we can have our moment. Yah im mad and I honestly don't care. Having to constantly kowtow and step around this Steve issue in this thread really grinds my gears. I'll fully admit that I do not like Steve, and I get sick having to talk about him in a Banjo-Kazooie support thread.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
We're swinging back into the "Banjo vs Steve" thing again, huh?

I'm not gonna lie, it does get hard to be optimistic about Banjo's chances, at least for me. If we see Steve get confirmed and not Banjo, we're playing the waiting game at best and getting nothing for the duo at worst.

I actually agree, though, I think Steve getting into Smash would at least prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Microsoft would be willing to lend the IPs they own to Nintendo for Smash Bros., and that would help us put some doubters of the bear and bird's chances to rest. Personally, though, I'm just not interested in seeing the inevitable bashing of Banjo and his supporters, a.k.a. us. Because that seems almost guaranteed at this point if things go down that route. Is that sort of thing immature and to be ignored? Absolutely. But that bashing does really get to some of us sometimes, and that's a shame, because I always enjoy coming to this thread for a dose of positivity and some B-K goodness.

I guess I'm trying to be partial to both sides. Steve making it into Smash would technically boost Banjo's chances, or at least prove to skeptics it's not impossible, but it would feel very wrong to many of us, and any subsequent Banjo bashing, albeit uncalled for, would bring down morale, to put it lightly. I don't think that's an unfair assessment.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Steve getting in at this point in the DLC lineup would seriously kill enthusiasm in the pass. At this point it is clear that games sales does not guarantee a spot in Smash bros.
No more so than a contentious base character killing enthusiasm for the game. That is to say, virtually never harrowing enough to actually drive people away. Especially when the character in question is optional, and there's still the promise of more.

What matters if if they work as a fighter with recognizable moves derived from their games. K.rool, Simon, and even Joker are clear examples of that. With how everyone tries to use Minecraft's sales as an argument, you'd think people would argue more on if they work in the Smash Bros world as a viable character.
I suspect that's an argument seldom made because those that don't have it out for Steve treat the fact that he could have a feasible moveset as a foregone conclusion. With examples like Piranha Plant and WFT (among many others), and Sakurai finally finding Ridley feasible, it stands to reason Steve's implementation wouldn't prove unworkable. People often impose their own lack of creativity onto Sakurai.

Bottom line here is that we Banjobros have been waiting for years for this opportunity and now people are arguing that we have to bow to some blocky, ugly, soulless character like Steve before we can have our moment. Yah im mad and I honestly don't care. Having to constantly kowtow and step around this Steve issue in this thread really grinds my gears. I'll fully admit that I do not like Steve, and I get sick having to talk about him in a Banjo-Kazooie support thread.
I can see why you're mad if every time someone isn't complicit in reproaching Steve you see it as being forced to bow before him.

I'd try to step closer to the reality of the situation, whereby arguing towards his plausibility often has nothing to do with Banjo.

I'd rather Banjo over Steve any day of the week, but I'm not going to pretend adding Steve will somehow ruin anything other than some peoples' moods.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
It’s almost the end of March and still nothing. I suspected they’d show a new character every three months to meet their deadline but it seems unlikely honestly.

At this point, I’m on the verge of giving up and just accepting we’ll get Steve despite how open Phil was about including Banjo in. Also, I don’t understand how Steve getting in before Banjo or even vise versa for that matter would increase their chances but whatever.

Regardless, do you think there would be anything at gdc or whatever it was called?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You keep saying that word. I don't think you know what it means.

People keep conflating the iconic IP, Minecraft, with the interchangeable default skin.
Like how people think interchangeable default tunic of Link is iconic?

I think you are grasping at straws to refuse Steve has legit reasons to become a playable fighter at this point.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Like how people think interchangeable default tunic of Link is iconic?

I think you are grasping at straws to refuse Steve has legit reasons to become a playable fighter at this point.
Link isn't an avatar or interchangeable, he's a silent protagonist. He's also the sole playable character in every Zelda game (yes it's different incarnations but it's still Link). It's not even nearly the same thing.

Steve could be playable, I'm not debating that. Calling him an icon is laughable though. He's far more comparable to a Monster Hunter protagonist. People know the IP, but they don't know the characters. The sheer fact that Minecraft content could just as easily come as a boss or stage and not a character tells you how little the character Steve means to Minecraft itself, much less all of gaming.

There's a plethora of reasons as to why Steve could be playable. But him being "iconic" as a character is not one of them. If you want to say he would REPRESENT an iconic IP, then that's correct. But the "character" Steve is not iconic, saying he is, is entirely dishonest.

Pac-Man. Mario. Sonic. Donkey Kong. Ryu. Those are gaming icons.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Link isn't an avatar or interchangeable, he's a silent protagonist. He's also the sole playable character in every Zelda game (yes it's different incarnations but it's still Link). It's not even nearly the same thing.

Steve could be playable, I'm not debating that. Calling him an icon is laughable though. He's far more comparable to a Monster Hunter protagonist. People know the IP, but they don't know the characters. The sheer fact that Minecraft content could just as easily come as a boss or stage and not a character tells you how little the character Steve means to Minecraft itself, much less all of gaming.

There's a plethora of reasons as to why Steve could be playable. But him being "iconic" as a character is not one of them. If you want to say he would REPRESENT an iconic IP, then that's correct. But the "character" Steve is not iconic, saying he is, is entirely dishonest.

Pac-Man. Mario. Sonic. Donkey Kong. Ryu. Those are gaming icons.
Plus it should be mentioned that Tetris is far more well known and sells far more than Minecraft. Where is the line block fighter? How come Tetris is only referenced by a few songs and not repped by a fighter if the blocks are more iconic? Everyone agrees that Tetris doesn't need a fighter, yet we have to argue about Steve?

Then again a stage based on Tetris would be sick.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Wait...why are people starting to doubt Banjo more today than a week ago?

Literally nothing has changed.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Plus it should be mentioned that Tetris is far more well known and sells far more than Minecraft. Where is the line block fighter? How come Tetris is only referenced by a few songs and not repped by a fighter if the blocks are more iconic? Everyone agrees that Tetris doesn't need a fighter, yet we have to argue about Steve?

Then again a stage based on Tetris would be sick.
A Tetris stage would be awesome. We have a semi-Tetris rep in Dr Mario as those games are a shameless Tetris ripoff if you think about it though lol.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A Tetris stage would be awesome. We have a semi-Tetris rep in Dr Mario as those games are a shameless Tetris ripoff if you think about it though lol.
I mean...
I don't know about the ripoff thing. Lol. Falling block puzzles are similar but only because they're basically in the same genre of puzzle. The mechanics of both games are totally different aside from that.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Wait...why are people starting to doubt Banjo more today than a week ago?

Literally nothing has changed.
I think it's more that a lot of people here (Including myself) are just getting sick of someone bringing up Steve on this thread or people can't bring up BK without mentioning MC.

Doesn't help that new users or new people who join this thread are unaware of the history or past conversations on this thread so when they do bring him up it restarts a vicious cycle of arguments

Also fans of Banjo-Kazooie have gotten a rotten deal ever since the buyout and are just aggravated on how the franchise has been neglected for nearly 20 years, Banjo-Kazooie predates MC over a decade and have been demanded before some of their fans were even born and then you have some MC fans who say Steve should get in over BK because MC is so successful and BK is washed up, irrelevant and can only be a Duck Hunt echo.

So now after all these years and having a legitimate shot of finally making the roster only to have the idea of a character of a newer franchise that represents a different demographic and younger generation of gamers that's also owned by Microsoft potentially stealing their roster spot really pisses longtime fans of BK and Smash off, That's why their constantly at each others throats.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I think it's more that a lot of people here (Including myself) are just getting sick of someone bringing up Steve on this thread or people can't bring up BK without mentioning MC.

Doesn't help that new users or new people who join this thread are unaware of the history or past conversations on this thread so when they do bring him up it restarts a vicious cycle of arguments

Also fans of Banjo-Kazooie have gotten a rotten deal ever since the buyout and are just aggravated on how the franchise has been neglected for nearly 20 years, Banjo-Kazooie predates MC over a decade and have been demanded before some of their fans were even born and then you have some MC fans who say Steve should get in over BK because MC is so successful and BK is washed up, irrelevant and can only be a Duck Hunt echo.

So now after all these years and having a legitimate shot of finally making the roster only to have the idea of a character of a newer franchise that represents a different demographic and younger generation of gamers that's also owned by Microsoft potentially stealing their roster spot really pisses longtime fans of BK and Smash off, That's why their constantly at each others throats.
They also make claims that steve in smash would boost Banjo's chances.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I feel like the Creeper is a lot more of an icon than Steve tbh.
It's to the extent that South Park did an entire episode on Minecraft a couple years ago and Steve wasn't mentioned, seen or alluded to a single time. If he was so iconic and important to the game, it wouldn't be possible to do that.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think its amazing that most of this website was severly anti Steve not even a year ago, when we did that Rate Their Chances game with Steve I recall so many people going "Ew Mine Craft is cringe!1!" . But now many are pro Steve (outside this thread at least). Hardly anyone really took him seriously until Vergeben claimed he was in.

Mine Craft was extremley fun years ago. Nowadays, I struggle to have fun with it single player. But, I still usually have a good time when playing with friends on multiplayer. In my opinion, Steve wouldnt be a bad addition, but I have wanted Banjo and Kazooie in the game for FAR longer, and many here wanted Banjo and Kazooie in Smash before Mine Craft was even a thought in Notchs head. We have a golden opporituniy to finally reunite this series that was once as "Nintendo" as Pikachu is with the other characters we love. We voted for them on the Ballot, expressed our demand. To get to the boot in favor of Steve, whose demand is much smaller and spans only a couple of years, seems, for lack of a better term, wrong to Banjo diehards, who make up more of the Smash and Switch audience than 8 to 14 year olds.

Can you call that entitlement? Well, yeah I guess. But its a videogame. I just wont buy the dlc then, I got better things to worry about then the evil Lego Miner Man, and so should those that are against the evil Yogi Bear that collects puzzle pieces.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think its amazing that most of this website was severly anti Steve not even a year ago, when we did that Rate Their Chances game with Steve I recall so many people going "Ew Mine Craft is cringe!1!" . But now many are pro Steve (outside this thread at least). Hardly anyone really took him seriously until Vergeben claimed he was in.
That's what you call bandwagoning. Smash fans always have and always will do it behind characters deemed "likely". See: Sceptile, Impa, Chrom, Chorus Men, Erdrick etc.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
That's what you call bandwagoning. Smash fans always have and always will do it behind characters deemed "likely". See: Sceptile, Impa, Chrom, Chorus Men, Erdrick etc.
They also bandwagon behind what “leakers” state.

Also unrelated but apparently Verge got more (non Smash) info wrong.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Exactly. I didnt even know who Edrick was until the leaks popped up. I can understand every prior character, but Edrick is unknown to the Americas AND Europe. The idea that Im suppoused to like something because someone else 6,400 miles away from me likes it is absurd. Im not doubting that theres people on this website that like Dragon Quest, but to the geberal public he would be one of the biggest duds in Smash history imo. Unless theres some odd balance where then later we get a west character that doesnt have a following in Japan (Steve and Banjo both have many Japanese fans), but I doubt this.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Exactly. I didnt even know who Edrick was until the leaks popped up. I can understand every prior character, but Edrick is unknown to the Americas AND Europe. The idea that Im suppoused to like something because someone else 6,400 miles away from me likes it is absurd. Im not doubting that theres people on this website that like Dragon Quest, but to the geberal public he would be one of the biggest duds in Smash history imo. Unless theres some odd balance where then later we get a west character that doesnt have a following in Japan (Steve and Banjo both have many Japanese fans), but I doubt this.
Banjo's always had a strong presence in Japan. For example, sourcegaming's perception of DLC for Smash For Wii U in Japan has Banjo as the joint 3rd highest character not yet in Smash (with Geno and Paper Mario, the two higher characters were Bandanna Dee and Magalor).

Someone like Rayman would be more like a character only popular in the west.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
This is probably my main gripe with the fan base. They have no thoughts or opinions of their own. They either take sakurai's word as undisputed law or cling on to what ever trendy leak is popular now.

I love sakurai and have great respect for him, but he's still human and says things I disagree with. To this day I still physically wince at his "Ridley is too big" speech back in smash 4. If he came out as a flat-earther it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of smash fans were like "you know he's got a point"

Remember when hitagi leaked a grand blue character. A mobile gacha game character would of been the dumbest inclusions in gaming history. But here comes the fan base saying "iT's PoPuLaR iN jApAn ThO iT mAkEs SeNsE". Now that that leak is a bust, the same people probably look back and say, "why did I even defend that?" They cling so tightly to things like "muh relevancy" and "muh sales". Makes me question whether they're smash fans or nintendo stock holders.

In fact I predict that if banjo is a fighter and the Minecraft content is a spirit or mii costume. All of banjo's detractors will pull a 180 a say:

"Wait banjo got in and not Steve? Oh uhhhhh yay banjo! I was secretly rooting for you the whole time. I totally thought relevancy was never an issue. Steve?! Pffffff more like Leave amirite?!?!? What a dumb character, minecraft doesn't deserve to be in smash anyway! Look at me guys I never bought into the leaks am I cool yet?"

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
It's to the extent that South Park did an entire episode on Minecraft a couple years ago and Steve wasn't mentioned, seen or alluded to a single time. If he was so iconic and important to the game, it wouldn't be possible to do that.
Ahaha yeah, I remember that.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that "Minecraft Story Mode" whatever game not have Steve in it, either? I mean, that was their chance to establish ANY kind of personality or character for him, but they didn't even bother. On top of that, the game had almost no fanfare compared to Minecraft itself.

It's almost as if "characters" dont exist in the world of Minecraft. At the very least, the fans themselves dont seem to even care.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The general thread changes like the wind, whatever new character any "insider" claims will be in the game the general thread then hoists banners in their name and erects idols to them and start spreading the name of "place character here" if you go there with an objective view you get flamed to the depths of hell.. then it starts spreading to other threads like a plague and before you know it you start seeing people who claim some left field character in a leak was always popular and that we need to stop thinking in our little bubble. It's the same cycle over and over. I've said it before and in say it again I've never seen Steve talked about for Smash until Verge mentioned "Minecraft content" now it's everywhere. Back in the ballot days I watched fan polls like a hawk to see where K. Rool ended up because we had hoped it reflected real votes. Banjo was alway's in the top 5 atleast K. Rool was always in the top 3 and Steve was nowhere to be found not a damn mention of him. I guess the silent majority boogy men were voting for him and I must have missed it. Too bad I guess they couldn't muster enough votes to beat K. Rool the character we all knew was a top ballot character from those "inacurate vote recording polls".

Banjo & Kazooie has always been a popular Smash pick and heavily requested, Steve hasn't. His popularity is recent due to leaks. Anyone who says otherwise is telling stories.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This is probably my main gripe with the fan base. They have no thoughts or opinions of their own. They either take sakurai's word as undisputed law or cling on to what ever trendy leak is popular now.

I love sakurai and have great respect for him, but he's still human and says things I disagree with. To this day I still physically wince at his "Ridley is too big" speech back in smash 4. If he came out as a flat-earther it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of smash fans were like "you know he's got a point"

Remember when hitagi leaked a grand blue character. A mobile gacha game character would of been the dumbest inclusions in gaming history. But here comes the fan base saying "iT's PoPuLaR iN jApAn ThO iT mAkEs SeNsE". Now that that leak is a bust, the same people probably look back and say, "why did I even defend that?" They cling so tightly to things like "muh relevancy" and "muh sales". Makes me question whether they're smash fans or nintendo stock holders.

In fact I predict that if banjo is a fighter and the Minecraft content is a spirit or mii costume. All of banjo's detractors will pull a 180 a say:

"Wait banjo got in and not Steve? Oh uhhhhh yay banjo! I was secretly rooting for you the whole time. I totally thought relevancy was never an issue. Steve?! Pffffff more like Leave amirite?!?!? What a dumb character, minecraft doesn't deserve to be in smash anyway! Look at me guys I never bought into the leaks am I cool yet?"
The K. Rool and Ridley hate bases have completely disappeared. Remember the "Ridley's too big" and "Muh relevancy" arguments? Gone completely.

I have great respect for Sakurai, but I will criticise him when I feel he makes poor decisions. Which he has done, and likely will do again.

The general thread changes like the wind, whatever new character any "insider" claims will be in the game the general thread then hoists banners in their name and erects idols to them and start spreading the name of "place character here" if you go there with an objective view you get flamed to the depths of hell.. then it starts spreading to other threads like a plague and before you know it you start seeing people who claim some left field character in a leak was always popular and that we need to stop thinking in our little bubble. It's the same cycle over and over. I've said it before and in say it again I've never seen Steve talked about for Smash until Verge mentioned "Minecraft content" now it's everywhere. Back in the ballot days I watched fan polls like a hawk to see where K. Rool ended up because we had hoped it reflected real votes. Banjo was alway's in the top 5 atleast K. Rool was always in the top 3 and Steve was nowhere to be found not a damn mention of him. I guess the silent majority boogy men were voting for him and I must have missed it. Too bad I guess they couldn't muster enough votes to beat K. Rool the character we all knew was a top ballot character from those "inacurate vote recording polls".

Banjo & Kazooie has always been a popular Smash pick and heavily requested, Steve hasn't. His popularity is recent due to leaks. Anyone who says otherwise is telling stories.
I think Banjo and Geno are the only two characters that were popular requests since Smash 64 and have maintained popularity right through to this day.

Mr. Stagg

The K. Rool and Ridley hate bases have completely disappeared. Remember the "Ridley's too big" and "Muh relevancy" arguments? Gone completely.

I have great respect for Sakurai, but I will criticise him when I feel he makes poor decisions. Which he has done, and likely will do again.
Well they are still there, but are now donning the mantle as a K.Rool fan to dump on Issacs, Shantes, Genos and Banjobros. These are fakes, frauds, and bloody turncoats. No Krool or Ridley fan would ever dump on those I mentioned because they were in the same boat a year ago. People were constantly dumping on them with the exact same strawmen of "Muh Relevancy!" And "Too big!!". For us it is "Muh relevancy", and "Muh Duck Hunt fallacy!" When you refute these arguments they just smug away like they won. Spies....Bloody Useless.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well they are still there, but are now donning the mantle as a K.Rool fan to dump on Issacs, Shantes, Genos and Banjobros. These are fakes, frauds, and bloody turncoats. No Krool or Ridley fan would ever dump on those I mentioned because they were in the same boat a year ago. People were constantly dumping on them with the exact same strawmen of "Muh Relevancy!" And "Too big!!". For us it is "Muh relevancy", and "Muh Duck Hunt fallacy!" When you refute these arguments they just smug away like they won. Spies....Bloody Useless.
I personally thought Isaac shoulda been in Smash 4 over a 3rd FE rep back in 2012 or whenever I first came up with a hopeful roster for Smash Wii U. Now that we have umpteen rpg sword fighters I am vehemently against his inclusion though. I think Isaac fans have become a lot more vocal since Ultimate, they were fairly drowned out by K. Rool/Ridley/Mewtwo fans in the Smash For period.

SKX31

Smash Master
At the end of the day, I just want to see whether any fears are completely unwarranted, because these arguments have become so tiresome that you might as well just use a MyPillow to hibernate for the next few months.

And I realise that I say this in a thread that's specifically about a bear.
Yea, I'm with you. The arguments here have pretty much not much peoples' views, but caused people to harden their stances - at least partly due to their own emotional safety. The thing is, safety and the search for it can paradoxically be dangerous. The longer one stares into the abyss, the more the abyss stares back kind of a thing. As much as some may not want to, having some emotional distance can be a good thing.
And you're helping the situation how exactly?

Look, I get it. In your mind you just want to defend your "tribe" ("Banjobros" is a great example of tribalism. Brotherhood's even implied in the name!) - but there's a catch.

Aren't you falling hook, like and sinker into the trolls' hands by reacting like that? Have your quest to defend your "turf" given you peace in your mind?

You're free to answer - or not at all. I realise I can't change your mind, but I'm putting up this warning sign for a reason. And I'm not defending the trolls at all, but you should watch out so you don't become what you hate.

Zealots are often blinded by the light.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think Banjo and Geno are the only two characters that were popular requests since Smash 64 and have maintained popularity right through to this day.
Nah, Geno was mostly dead as hell during the majority of Smash 4's run. His Smash 4 support thread had only about 96 pages. Meanwhile characters like K. Rool and Ridley's threads were like, in the high 1000s. Even someone like Krystal, another character who notably dropped off a lot since Brawl, still had over 300 pages in her thread. See for yourself.

Support for him only really came back in full force because of Sakurai directly acknowleding him and his popularity in an interview and with the Mii Fighter outfit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom