• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Actually... if there’s a character who is supposedly meant to be Jane, how come all of our supposed “leakers” haven’t started naming names yet? Seems like no one truly knows who is going to be DLC huh?
This would mean the release order would be Joker, Brave, Jane. Which if we go by release schedule Jane would be around E3 time. What character could possible be E3 worthy relating to the name Jane? That is of course Sakurai didn't just make up random codenames that mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This would mean the release order would be Joker, Brave, Jane. Which if we go by release schedule Jane would be around E3 time. What character could possible be E3 worthy relating to the name Jane?
Shantae could possibly work due to being a Western Indie character...

But really, E3 doesn’t have to be all Mega Reveals.

Remember we got :4villager: and :4wiifit: 2013, and :4palutena: 2014.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Shantae could possibly work due to being a Western Indie character...

But really, E3 doesn’t have to be all Mega Reveals.

Remember we got :4villager: and :4wiifit: 2013, and :4palutena: 2014.
I think the difference with those is that they were base game announcements. Not DLC which we are expected to pay for after the fact. Hopefully they aren't going to have a boring DLC reveal at the biggest gaming event of the year and say "please buy them"

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think the difference with those is that they were base game announcements. Not DLC which we are expected to pay for. Hopefully they aren't going to have a boring DLC reveal at the biggest gaming event of the year and say "please buy them"
Yeah DLC needs to be BIG.

Which is why I honestly doubt us getting an 8th Fire Emblem character and (some people have suggested this) an 11th Pokémon. Actually, I doubt ya getting DLC for already represented franchises since it needs to sell. Sure, brand recognition is a thing, but what sells more than brand recognition? NEW AND SHINY!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Bros, I need help. Im trying to find that picture that has Banjo and Kazooie on a wall with a bunch of other Rare icons. Looks to be some office wall art. I swear it also had Mario in it as well.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Is it this?
No. It's more like a collection of their promo renders in some sort of Collage on a wall. White backdrop, had some characters from Jet Force Gemini and Diddy Kong racing. Also WHY ARE THERE STARS ON K.ROOL'S NIPPLES!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
*Bursts door open*

Guys I figured out who Jane is!! Erdrick isn't our dragon quest rep!! Vergyburg is canceled!!

i'm only like half joking here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*Bursts door open*

Guys I figured out who Jane is!! Erdrick isn't our dragon quest rep!! Vergyburg is canceled!!

What do you mean verge is canceled? he’s already been canceled numbers of times:troll:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

AugustusB

Smash Champion
*Bursts door open*

I only spectate here and there, but you good sir/madam...have piqued the curiosity.

To assume the code names start with the first letter of the characters name could point to Jade being Jane...If Brave is meant for Banjo.

Or could just be Ann in Joker's Final Smash, but I figured we would have seen other little hints to persona 5 characters in that code.

I guess time will tell, but I like what you brought up.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I don't know if this has been posed yet but...

What if the Rare Spirits are like what happened with Pokemon Let's Go. In this instance, if you own Rare Replay for Switch you get those Rare Spirits... what if it's not related to Banjo DLC at all?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Edelgard, even if there is a FE character will not be DLC as she's only pertinent to 1/3rd of the new FE game.
Sylux was just a guess because he didn't have a spirit, but it's more likely that he'll be an exclusive spirit to a Metroid spirit event at some point.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
People are ignoring the best possible character that could be Jane:

EDIT: No ponytail, I know. But I'm sure one of the million hats can give him a ponytail.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
If RE's Jill Valentine is playable in smash then she needs her RE 1 & RE 3 outfit BUT ! I would be PO'd if chris redfeild wasn't one of her alts kinda like olimar ! cuz jill & chris where both playable in RE 1 & would probly fight the same way in smash if mostly based off the 1st 3 games (altho I would prefer leon)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the difference with those is that they were base game announcements. Not DLC which we are expected to pay for after the fact. Hopefully they aren't going to have a boring DLC reveal at the biggest gaming event of the year and say "please buy them"
Yeah DLC needs to be BIG.

Which is why I honestly doubt us getting an 8th Fire Emblem character and (some people have suggested this) an 11th Pokémon. Actually, I doubt ya getting DLC for already represented franchises since it needs to sell. Sure, brand recognition is a thing, but what sells more than brand recognition? NEW AND SHINY!
Shiny like Yarn Poochy's beads? :p

Really though we can't be sure they won't sneak in at least one first-party at E3, especially if they're taking their sweet time revealing every FP character before February 2020 happens.

I shall see your Waifu and raise you one better.View attachment 194126
Fantastic as she would be, sadly I don't think they'll be breaking the "main characters first" pattern any time soon, at least as far as third parties go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright everyone good news me and polar agrees that xenothers sources look suspicious (the one that said banjo is leakbait) so she’s gonna look into them.

Mr. Stagg

They wouldn't cancel a DLC character because the game is being redone. The DLC would already be to far in advance to cancel a character like that.
If anything Sylux could be the last one to reveal once they have some concrete progress made on MP4. I doubt this DLC lineup is following some strict schedule and that some characters could be revealed at Nintendo's leisure.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If anything Sylux could be the last one to reveal once they have some concrete progress made on MP4. I doubt this DLC lineup is following some strict schedule and that some characters could be revealed at Nintendo's leisure.
Ideally if the DLC is 3 new third party characters and 2 first party it'd be wise to segment it as 3-1-3-1-3, but that doesn't look to be the case with Brave unlikely to be anybody but Erdrick or Banjo.

And I don't see Sylux being cancelled frankly, even if Prime 4 is further off than it ever has been those rumours of Prime Trilogy on Switch are still running around without any deconfirmation like what happened with Star Fox Racing. Only scenario I could see is Sylux having zero work done on him and Nintendo higherups telling Sakurai to swap him out for someone else, but Sakurai probably has a moveset in mind that he'd hate to scrap.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Not related to Smash, but I think some of you fellow Banjo fans will find this cool. This website lets you explore maps from a variety of games and go wherever you want, kind of like that Boundary Break show on Youtube. Of course, Banjo is one of the games included, and you can explore literally every single room in the game and go anywhere you want. Its pretty neat! https://noclip.website/

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Not related to Smash, but I think some of you fellow Banjo fans will find this cool. This website lets you explore maps from a variety of games and go wherever you want, kind of like that Boundary Break show on Youtube. Of course, Banjo is one of the games included, and you can explore literally every single room in the game and go anywhere you want. Its pretty neat! https://noclip.website/
Site does not work on mobile...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But who would Jane line up to even? Shantae? KOS-MOS? Edelguard?
Another Square-Enix rep is definitely coming because of what Polar Panda's sources and other legit sources have said besides Vergeben. So perhaps it's Lora Croft, or maybe it's Elma from Xenoblade X.

Also WHY ARE THERE STARS ON K.ROOL'S NIPPLES!?!?!?!
Lmao!

SKX31

Smash Master
Getting Jill Valentine would be something else. That would make her the 4th capcom rep. Square only has 1, konami has 3, Sega has 2 (soon to be 3) and poor namco only has 1 despite helping make the game.

Step up your game square enix, you're making konami look generous

Edit: but only after banjo comes...then you can step your game

True, that's kinda why I'm doubting Jill. Still, could be possible if Ken's not viewed as a character per se (Echo after all).

As for where I stand on B-K? Kinda obligatory when one's newly registered. My thoughts on the duo are, to be honest (and this is going to sound painful, I know). Complicated. I need an essay to explain it really (and I'm going to bold extra important stuff for a TL;DR) I'm not here to troll, nope. I'm saying this as someone who loved Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie (with a heavy Tooie lean) and would love to see them in Smash. I'd also love to see Steve and / or Master Chief in Smash, partly because of what they can bring.*

To delve deeper, B-K's situation is particularily weird. Not just because they happen to share the same house with the aformentioned two, but also because of Rare's really weird corporate history (not just with Microsoft, with Nintendo too) and expectations vs. risk. For this I'm going to use Eurogamer's article on the post-buyout days, from 2002 to 2012 and Mundorare's collection of contemporary events as my primary sources. The amateur historian in me, see.

If I'm going to use one qoute, it's this:

In fact, Rare had been looking for a potential buyer for some years by the time discussions with Microsoft began. "The company was on the market for several years, two years certainly, and this was driven by the majority owners Tim, Chris and Joel Hochberg," says Hollis. "The majority of middle management were enthusiastic followers of the idea but I always felt uncomfortable. EA, Activision, Disney and obviously Nintendo were all mooted. In the end I understand Mr Yamauchi [Nintendo's President] declined to offer more than a fraction of the value Rare was asking; shrewdly, it would seem. Meanwhile Microsoft had a strategic reason to buy, two reasons really: firstly so Nintendo would not have Rare's games, and secondly so that Microsoft would."
That Rare had been looking for a buyer probably hindered B-K's inclusion in 64 and Melee severely. Had they been in 64 / Melee, they'd be in Ultimate base roster at least. However, I would advise against hindsight (no one in 1999-2001 could tell you Rare's position now in 2019) - at the time of the buyout, Rare probably wanted more flexibility, Nintendo weren't sure if Rare could bless one day and curse the next**, and Microsoft were just starting up the Xbox. The warning signs of a bad marriage were there, but that wasn't certain.

And that's where I get to expectation vs. risk. Microsoft has not handled Rare with grace, no, but how do you develop Banjo-Threeie so the hardcore fans here feel it's a worthy follow up? Microsoft already got burnt once (wasn't Nuts & Bolts hated once?), and they are aware that Internet firestorms can help kill games. They just need to look at EA. I'm saying this because Microsoft - if given slots in Smash - only have three max. B-K's inclusion would be merely fanservice, when they can weigh Steve or Chief.

Leakers or no leakers, Nintendo's and Microsoft's discussions recently were probably conducted on very careful grounds. Regarding B-K, Microsoft needs to leverage the duo's potential Smash slot into something that properly revives B-K. Or else they could have just played it safer and chosen Steve or even Chief, two mega tons in the industry, and gotten more out of it than B-K did. It's a shame, yes. But there's a very tight balancing act for Microsoft. I would not be surprised if Phil's aware of this (hypothesis incoming): Phil would win if he could get any of B-K, Steve or Chief in Smash since that'd help prove his mettle on the negotiating table. And help cushion Microsoft in case the Nextbox goes bust. The question is which one do you get in first. And that's not as straightforward as it sounds to hardcore B-K fans here.

"But just look at Yooka-Laylee!" Well, it did well, granted. Didn't exactly become a massive thing though, lets be clear. A Banjo-Threeie would be expected to follow in its and Tooie's footsteps, while creating at least a great experience. The cold hard truth is? "But taking a wider view, I think what has happened to Rare really just reflects what has happened in the industry at large: larger teams, larger budgets and reduced risk." A Threeie needs to be HUGE with tons of stuff to do, look great, and control smoothly. Tall order.

That cold hard truth terrifies me on multiple fronts. I'd love an awesome Threeie. I also realize the damage a terrible, mediocre or even contentious Threeie would do to B-K.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to apply for the supporter list. I'll still support the Bear and the Bird, no matter what their fate in Smash is.

(*Nope, I don't consider Frank's tweet a 100 % deconfirmation - the problem is that that tweet's too vague. Something like Dante's or Hat Kid's decon would be 100 % IMHO. Chinderblock detailed why in the Master Chief thread.)
(**"Curiously, after the purchase, George Harrison from Nintendo America stated that they were expecting to sell a million units of that title[Conker's Bad Fur Day - sic], while alluding -at the same time- to the latest results from Rare as a reason to let them go. ")
[EDIT because one particular thought turned out not to be true at the time. EA was a much more respected company at the time of the Rare buyout. It was 2006-ish and beyond that they started to, well, become the EA we know.]

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Real talk though, the last time people assumed DLC had to be huge names, we wound up with someone that's kind of niche at best. :ultbayonetta: Joker is somewhat more notable.

We can't be sure of anything (even Steve), that's just setting up for disappointment.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
That Rare had been looking for a buyer probably hindered B-K's inclusion in 64 and Melee severely. Had they been in 64 / Melee, they'd be in Ultimate base roster at least. However, I would advise against hindsight (no one in 1999-2001 could tell you Rare's position now in 2019) - at the time of the buyout, Rare probably wanted more flexibility, Nintendo weren't sure if Rare could bless one day and curse the next**, and Microsoft were just starting up the Xbox. The warning signs of a bad marriage were there, but that wasn't certain.
That whole buyout was a huge mess. Looking back, I can see why Nintendo didn't buy Rare. They likely thought Rare would get purchased by a third party company. That way, Nintendo could still partner with them for DK and Banjo, and whoever bought them could fund the games Nintendo wanted nothing to do with.

I'm sure the last thing they imagined was new competitor emerging and buying up Rare at the last minute.

Here's an old interview that kind of backs up what I'm saying.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/03/25/two-jedi-and-some-answers

IGN: So what is up with the relationship between Rare and Nintendo?

Perrin Kaplan: Nothing. The status is the same as it's always been. But as you know, relationships evolve. I can't tell you what's next, but we've got good stuff coming from them this year and there's more that you will see.

IGN: Will Rare remain an exclusive second-party for the foreseeable future, as in the next few years?

Kaplan: For the foreseeable future, yes. But you also have to ask what it is that they want. As they have developed over the years into a deeper developer and publisher, I think their business desires may have changed a little bit.

Jim Merrick: We have what we call a pseudo-publishing relationship with them now. As Rare has grown tremendously in recent years, some of the games are published under the Rare label and others under the Nintendo one.

Kaplan: They're not really a second-party.

Merrick: Would they become a true third-party? I don't know. It's not that far away. But they don't have quite the publishing resources that a traditional publisher does today. But they are evolving.

Kaplan: You see a changing and maturing of the business all the time, but we will always have a good relationship with Rare.

IGN: So Microsoft isn't buying the company then?

Kaplan: Not as far as we know. Maybe you can let us know. [Laughs]

Emphasis on "we will always have a good relationship with Rare."

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I would like to think that if Banjo got in that we could get some Diddy Kong Racing tracks

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I would like to think that if Banjo got in that we could get some Diddy Kong Racing tracks
I think Nintendo actually owns all the music in that game. It's one of the few things they do own in Diddy Kong Racing.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
SKX31 SKX31 I'm sorry but regarding Nuts & Bolts

You don't take a franchise from a competitor skip an entire GEN of gamming & bring them back 8 YEARS LATTER & change EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY ARTSTYLE STORY & so on and expect it to sell well especally when you KILLED the 4th wall so much so that its part of the story & that part of the story being "no one wants to play these kinds of games anymore" the story & writing of N&B is outright insulting !

all rare/M$ have to do is make Banjo kazooie & tooie HD as well as make N&B non canon & just make banjo threeiee SIMPLE

And yooka-laylee faild due to clearly being rushed (still don't even have the N64 shaders yet & when did that game come out ? ) clunky controls bad level & game desing as well as trying to live up to B-K's legasy Its a fun game but not that very good of a game

ether way the market for 3D platformers are there & B-K where the KINGS of 3D/Exploratory/collectathons

Just build apon the 1st 2 games & do things that N64 hardwere could of only dreamed of in the curent gen & fix the insulting story by just starting after tooie

the worlds don't have to be BIG just new, alive fun to explore with puzzles & baddys ITS NOT THAT HARD TO DO ? look at mario odessy the most banjo kazooie like mario game ever & people love it

Top Bottom