• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Yooka-Laylee was a HUGE disappointment to me for way to many reasons to type out here BUT I had fun with it (exept the final boss what a HUGE letdown) that & I got it during the toys R us going out of business sale for like 10 or 15 $ so for that price it was worth it but its a very flawed game but can still be fun

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie
At least we know Sakurai has played Minecraft. Sakurai has almost certainly seen the fan demand but it's possible he hasn't played Kazooie and/or Tooie considering it's a western-based game.
Still support though.
Sakurai mentioned Banjo in a Melee era interview

Bozikins

Smash Rookie
While I agree Grant is speculating just like the rest of us, his opinion is still important--he knows the industry better than the rest of us, and he may have an insight in the chances, even if he doesn't know anything in particular. Still, we're at the same place we were before--chances are low, but this game is all about unlikely miracles happening. Ridley, K Rool--to me, Banjo rounds out the unlikely Trio.

And Steve Mayles is on the Banjo for Smash hype train!
I viewed this tweet today then immediately went to the comments where someone posted a screenshot I wasn't familiar with. It came from Nuts & Bolts where there is a hidden message on one of the levels that reads "Banjo-Kazooie - Rare 1998. The bear and bird's first adventures. Will anyone remember Nuts and Bolts in a decade? Come back in 2018 and find out..."

Not intending to start any conspiracy theories here but this is one of the secrets I didn't catch so I wanted to share. It's cool to think they had something planned for Banjo-Kazooie all this time.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I realize I haven’t posted in this thread before, but I’m feeling more optimistic about Banjo’s chances than ever before, so consider me a supporter.

Here’s to hoping the Bear and Bird make their big breakthrough in getting into Ultimate.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I would of love to have seen them in Smash 64 to give the franchise an extra push just like how Banjo was in Diddy Kong Racing or like how Pikachu was a newcomer Nintendo character for the upcoming Pokemon franchise at the time and then really be an established franchised by Melee.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Yooka-Laylee was a HUGE disappointment to me for way to many reasons to type out here BUT I had fun with it (exept the final boss what a HUGE letdown) that & I got it during the toys R us going out of business sale for like 10 or 15 $ so for that price it was worth it but its a very flawed game but can still be fun
I might give it a chance since i’m pretty bored atm waiting for December. Is there any platform it’s better or worse on? I’ve got everything basically except a PC

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So… if I got this right… How love for Banjo Kazooie has been shown so far for the 20th Anniversary:
• Arby's tweeted about it with meal boxes having eyes a la Banjo style…
• First 4 Figures is making a figure/statue of them…
• Gamestop will release a plushie in October of them…
• A Hat In Time will put Banjo type of clothing as a costume…

I don't know if i'm missing anything else that has happened or is gonna happen…
… But at this point, not getting him in Smash would be sacrilege by Nintendo. I doubt the company that first put the games out for us to play would not do something big for this character at this point.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I remain torn on the duo's chances for the base roster. They have a lot going for but also a lot going against them. But I'm very confident they'll make it into Ultimate, even if we have to wait for DLC.

I might give it a chance since i’m pretty bored atm waiting for December. Is there any platform it’s better or worse on? I’ve got everything basically except a PC
PC is your best bet, but since that's not an option, I would lean towards the Switch, as that one was definitely given the most time and care. Though I'm sure the PS4 and Xbox One are fine with the patches they've gotten.

And to provide an alternative opinion, I quite enjoyed Yooka-Laylee. It's not perfect by any means, and had its share of controversies around it, but if you played and loved Kazooie and Tooie this is the closest you'll probably ever get to a third game in the series. I find most people who prefer Kazooie over Tooie really couldn't get into Yooka, but those who preferred Tooie enjoyed it more. The levels are large and expansive, and I feel whether or not you enjoy that or prefer tighter, more compact levels is a big factor on whether or not you'll enjoy it.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I remain torn on the duo's chances for the base roster. They have a lot going for but also a lot going against them. But I'm very confident they'll make it into Ultimate, even if we have to wait for DLC.

PC is your best bet, but since that's not an option, I would lean towards the Switch, as that one was definitely given the most time and care. Though I'm sure the PS4 and Xbox One are fine with the patches they've gotten.

And to provide an alternative opinion, I quite enjoyed Yooka-Laylee. It's not perfect by any means, and had its share of controversies around it, but if you played and loved Kazooie and Tooie this is the closest you'll probably ever get to a third game in the series. I find most people who prefer Kazooie over Tooie really couldn't get into Yooka, but those who preferred Tooie enjoyed it more. The levels are large and expansive, and I feel whether or not you enjoy that or prefer tighter, more compact levels is a big factor on whether or not you'll enjoy it.
Interesting. I like Tooie more. I much prefer huge levels

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Is Yooka Laylee worth a shot? Even though I’m a huge Banjo fan I was never interested in it. All these nostalgia bait kickstarters usually end up badly as we saw with Mighty No 9 so I wasn’t surprised to see the mixed reception to Yooka Laylee

The thing is, most people say it feels outdated but I honestly think the N64 Banjo games hold up better than even a lot of PS2 games. Really the camera is the only thing that hasn’t aged well. I’m curious to see what Yooka did wrong exactly. For example, I sometimes see people criticize Tooie for being too big but that’s actually what I love about it. Spending hours wandering around finding every nook and cranny to get those collectibles. Even Mario Sunshine’s levels felt a bit too small imo and that was Gamecube.
I can only speak for myself, as I may be in the minority. But I really enjoyed the nostalgia trip despite its flaws—and there are many.

Worlds are huge but feel empty, feels like half a game compared to Banjo. Enemies attack weirdly, but are mostly pushovers or annoyances. Transformings not as fun. Things aren’t properly explained, though that was some of the fun—I had to think hard in a way I did as a kid, whereas Odyssey was a mindless journey (IMHO), though it does feel unfair at times (I agree, **** some of those Minecart sections particularly
the boss one that went on way too long and required so many game overs

That being said, there were so many mechanics that reminded me of that uniquely Banjo charm, I love the characters and they feel different, not Banjo-Kazooie lite. So many menu and gameplay flourishes that reminded me of playing the old games, to the point I asked how they didn’t get sued xD It’s purely a nostalgia trip on an indie budget, and that budget shows while still feeling like they pushed what they could be capable of—I feel it’s unfair to compare them to AAA titles in terms of scope and polish (though since everyone does, I feel free to contrast them). It’s definitely a case of whether you’re looking for pure nostalgia, or a polished platformer. I seeked out the former, and despite its many flaws, grew on me more and more.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Astroworld definitely try out yooka-laylee its fun for what it is & should be VERY cheap physical on PS4 or Xbone by now

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh man, where do I start ? To be honest I don't even know if the series has that much and overall I pretty much like them all, but my favorites are:

- Spiral Mountain
- Treasure Trove Cove
- Bubblegloop Swamp
- Freezezy Peak
- Rusty Bucket Bay
- Grunty's Final Boss Theme
- Jolly Roger's Lagoon
- Glitter Gulch Mine
- Cloudcuckoo Land
Man, I would just put the entire soundtrack for Kazooie and Tooie in there !!!
Hoooo boy, let's see here, not including possible remixes:

- Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie Main Themes
- Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Gruntilda's Lair (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Mumbo's Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Treasure Trove Cove (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Clanker's Cavern (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Bubblegloop Swamp (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Freezeezy Peak (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Gobi's Valley (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Mad Monster Mansion (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Rusty Bucket Bay (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Click Clock Wood (Spring) (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Gruntilda's Furnace Fun (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Final Battle (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Jinjo Village (Banjo-Tooie)
- The Isle of Hags (Banjo-Tooie)
- Mayahem Temple (Banjo-Tooie)
- The Ordinance Storage Mine (Glitter Gulch Mine) (Banjo-Tooie)
- Mr. Patch - Strange Wobbly Inflatable Thing (Witchyworld) (Banjo-Tooie)
- Terrydactyland (Banjo-Tooie)
- Grunty Industries (Banjo-Tooie)
- Hailfire Peaks (Lava Side) (Banjo-Tooie)
- Cloud Cuckooland (Banjo-Tooie)
- Hag 1 - Monstrous Mechanical Mud-Muncher (Banjo-Tooie)
- Banjoland Buffoonery (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts)
- Nutty Acres Aggro (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts)
- Grapplin' with Grunty (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts)

That's at least 28 original pieces from the games leaving room for some awesome remixes and new compositions made for Smash, basically every level from each game had some music worthy of inclusion in a Smash battle!
Im pretty sure you could include just about every song in the series at that point

I mean Kazooie had 9 levels, Tooie had 8. That’s every level in the originals with 13 tracks left over
Ahh! Yeah, didn’t occur to me that there wouldn’t be that many tracks. Anyways, great ideas everyone. I would also imagine that there would be an official original theme song composition or potential remixes. Though I wouldn’t put it past MS to include the stipulation that Nuts and Bolts music should also be included as well.

Also, please remember not to multipost. Please use the Edit feature found in the bottom of your post. Repeated offenses of multiposting will result in warnings and infractions so please keep that in mind. If you wish to reply to someone after posting, you can reply to it, copy it in your dialog box, go to the post you wish to edit, and paste the copied quote into the text box. Or you can just wait until someone else posts. I saw repeated offenses of multiposting here so please keep this in mind. (Multiposting includes double posting).

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Ahh! Yeah, didn’t occur to me that there wouldn’t be that many tracks. Anyways, great ideas everyone. I would also imagine that there would be an official original theme song composition or potential remixes. Though I wouldn’t put it past MS to include the stipulation that Nuts and Bolts music should also be included as well.

Also, please remember not to multipost. Please use the Edit feature found in the bottom of your post. Repeated offenses of multiposting will result in warnings and infractions so please keep that in mind. If you wish to reply to someone after posting, you can reply to it, copy it in your dialog box, go to the post you wish to edit, and paste the copied quote into the text box. Or you can just wait until someone else posts. I saw repeated offenses of multiposting here so please keep this in mind. (Multiposting includes double posting).
It's all about the quality of the tracks not quanity, right?

Banjo-Kazooie is getting some exposure, Steve Mayles is on board on twitter and pushing Banjo-Kazooie for Smash, Grant Kirkhope also too ,but not as optimistic, Arby's is giving them 20th Anniversary shoutout, Keep shoveling coal into the Chuffy train guys, Spread the word and keep the hype going !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It's all about the quality of the tracks not quanity, right?

Banjo-Kazooie is getting some exposure, Steve Mayles is on board on twitter and pushing Banjo-Kazooie for Smash, Grant Kirkhope also too ,but not as optimistic, Arby's is giving them 20th Anniversary shoutout, Keep shoveling coal into the Chuffy train guys, Spread the word and keep the hype going !!!
Well, on one spectrum you have an over-saturation of tracks like Castlevania while on the other, you have a significantly lack of music like Final Fantasy 7. Indeed, quality is important but having a satisfactory amount of music is also important.

Also, don’t double post. Please use the Edit feature.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
So… if I got this right… How love for Banjo Kazooie has been shown so far for the 20th Anniversary:
• Arby's tweeted about it with meal boxes having eyes a la Banjo style…
• First 4 Figures is making a figure/statue of them…
• Gamestop will release a plushie in October of them…
• A Hat In Time will put Banjo type of clothing as a costume…

I don't know if i'm missing anything else that has happened or is gonna happen…
… But at this point, not getting him in Smash would be sacrilege by Nintendo. I doubt the company that first put the games out for us to play would not do something big for this character at this point.
If Banjo-Kazooie is in Ultimate you know those plushies are going to fly off shelves and bought by Gruntilda's scalpers.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well, on one spectrum you have an over-saturation of tracks like Castlevania while on the other, you have a significantly lack of music like Final Fantasy 7. Indeed, quality is important but having a satisfactory amount of music is also important.

Also, don’t double post. Please use the Edit feature.
Sorry, still trying to get used to the reply system

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Is it possible we receive a N64 mini announcement at Gamescom this week? If non DK Rare games are in it, that could be a big sign. Although I would assume they would announce Banjo for Smash along with that.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That Banjo-Kazooie plushie would look at home next to my Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, DK, Diddy Kong and Pikachu plushies.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Is it possible we receive a N64 mini announcement at Gamescom this week? If non DK Rare games are in it, that could be a big sign. Although I would assume they would announce Banjo for Smash along with that.
That would be a big sign if they can work out a deal for Rareware titles, though I assume though the only ones I can see them adding to the N64 Classic list would be:

- Donkey Kong 64
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Perfect Dark

DK 64 is going to be in regardless since Nintendo owns DK rights ,but I thought I would still mention it since it's still Rare and Goldeneye 007 would be a tough because of licensing issues so you gotta put Perfect Dark in it's place ,but I imagine Nintendo would like to keep the system no higher than a Teen rating so as much as I would like Conker's Bad Fur Day, it ain't happening and to a lesser extent Perfect Dark.

Last edited:

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
That would be a big sign if they can work out a deal for Rareware titles, though I assume though the only ones I can see them adding to the N64 Classic list would be:

- Donkey Kong 64
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Banjo-Tooie
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Perfect Dark

DK 64 is going to be in regardless since Nintendo owns DK rights ,but I thought I would still mention it since it's still Rare and Goldeneye 007 would be a tough because of licensing issues so you gotta put Perfect Dark in it's place ,but I imagine Nintendo would like to keep the system no higher than a Teen rating so as much as I would like Conker's Bad Fur Day, it ain't happening and to a lesser extent Perfect Dark.
Don't they still need Rare's permission due to Jetpac still being in DK64

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sort off, I mean DK 64 was released in Wii U VC still ,but I imagine they still had to ask Microsoft about it ,but I think it was minor enough that they had no problem working something out.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
This was assumed to be the reason DK64 wasn’t released on the Wii’s VC. Given that it made it onto the WiiU they clearly got the permission to rerelease it so rereleasing it again shouldn’t be an issue. Microsoft is weirdly open to Nintendo and Rare working together/rereleasing their games. There was a Viva Piñata game on DS and a Diddy Kong Racing remake as well. MS said since they don’t have a handheld and don’t have any plans to make one they don’t mind Rare working on the DS

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
bb3f2c7a-91fe-4cb3-bae4-548d0a38a133.jpg
I saw this rumour in 4chan, sorry for the quality of the image, they passed it to me by whatsapp and I uploaded it from my phone.

TL;DR because that image is for ants:
A guy claiming working in the set-up of Gamescom said he watched a booth of Microsoft featuring Banjo-Threeie, he even described the font they are using and everything.

Can you imagine finally a Banjo-Threeie being announced? This combined with the easter egg from Nuts n Bolts is getting me hyped.
I think Banjo's chances for smash will rise up to 99% if this is the case.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 158958I saw this rumour in 4chan, sorry for the quality of the image, they passed it to me by whatsapp and I uploaded it from my phone.

TL;DR because that image is for ants:
A guy claiming working in the set-up of Gamescom said he watched a booth of Microsoft featuring Banjo-Threeie, he even described the font they are using and everything.

Can you imagine finally a Banjo-Threeie being announced? This combined with the easter egg from Nuts n Bolts is getting me hyped.
I think Banjo's chances for smash will rise up to 99% if this is the case.
Sounds like an elaborate ****post without any pictures. But I wish it was true.

They probably would've announced it by now, isn't Gamescom well underway?

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like an elaborate ****post without any pictures. But I wish it was true.

They probably would've announced it by now, isn't Gamescom well underway?
It began like an hour ago and Microsoft's presentation is at 4:30 pm European Central Time. But yeah they would have already shown the booth

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
A Banjo-Threeie or Reboot will probably push me to get an buy an Xbox One again, I loved Rare Replay (Still got my copy) and Killer Instinct ,but A lot of those games I already had on my N64 and I can get my fighting game fix with Super Smash Bros Ultimate and already with Pokken Tournament DX, So I decided to part ways with it as I mainly play and only have interest in console exclusives and that so happens to be Xbox's biggest weak spot.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I am a bit worried about if they do announce Banjo-Threeie at Gamescom, because, on the one hand, YAY! A new Banjo-Kazooie game at long last after years of disappointment and waiting! On the other hand though, it would probably be an Xbox One exclusive and I have no desire to buy one of those especially for one game and also that may be the thing that doesn't allow Banjo & Kazooie to be in Smash. I always figured if they weren't doing anything with the characters then that would give Nintendo an incentive to borrow them for Smash, but if they're making an exclusive for their system, they'll probably have no desire to share with Nintendo. I'm sure I'm overreacting but its a worry to me at least. Someone convince me otherwise and that things will be alright!

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
I am a bit worried about if they do announce Banjo-Threeie at Gamescom, because, on the one hand, YAY! A new Banjo-Kazooie game at long last after years of disappointment and waiting! On the other hand though, it would probably be an Xbox One exclusive and I have no desire to buy one of those especially for one game and also that may be the thing that doesn't allow Banjo & Kazooie to be in Smash. I always figured if they weren't doing anything with the characters then that would give Nintendo an incentive to borrow them for Smash, but if they're making an exclusive for their system, they'll probably have no desire to share with Nintendo. I'm sure I'm overreacting but its a worry to me at least. Someone convince me otherwise and that things will be alright!
But on the other hand you can also see it as publicity for the new game. It is like, you don't who these characters for our new Xbox game are? They are super popular! Look they even appear in smash bros beating Mario!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
But on the other hand you can also see it as publicity for the new game. It is like, you don't who these characters for our new Xbox game are? They are super popular! Look they even appear in smash bros beating Mario!
It always annoyed me how Microsoft has been using the same renders for Banjo-Kazooie when they promote their Xbox brand, When they have had ownership of the IP for over a decade and half, Using the same art from the N64 era or how Nuts & Bolts is a decade old already and they keep using that one as well, It's like update them and make a new damn game that everyone has been asking for already !!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom