• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is Tooie really rare?
Sort of. It's one of those games like Earthbound that just about every game collector wants so on the rare occasion when you do manage to find it at a game shop, it will be outlandishly overpriced. This is why I stop game hunting in person years ago and just use eBay if I'm really itching to play an old game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fellow Rarebares, I have some good news about what's been happening on the Japan side of things regarding Banjo. The characters you see so far are the more common requests that PushDustIn found during the collection of his new data. He did imply that the Bear and Bird had a huge boost of support in Japan since the ballot's announcement, which is more than enough of a sign that Japan finally voted the hell out of him just like us. We will know of his exact position in about 1.5 - 3 weeks when he tallies up the numbers of all characters like the last time.

Are you guys excited to hear that the East is helping us out in the long run?

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Fellow Rarebares, I have some good news about what's been happening on the Japan side of things regarding Banjo. The characters you see so far are the more common requests that PushDustIn found during the collection of his new data. He did imply that the Bear and Bird had a huge boost of support in Japan since the ballot's announcement, which is more than enough of a sign that Japan finally voted the hell out of him just like us. We will know of his exact position in about 1.5 - 3 weeks when he tallies up the numbers of all characters like the last time.

Are you guys excited to hear that the East is helping us out in the long run?

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/
While I'm happy to see support from the East, I'm kind of surprised that he's popular there. Maybe I assumed Banjo wouldn't be since Rare is now owned by Microsoft. I'm hoping for some sort of ballot update from Nintendo, although I find it highly unlikely. Wouldn't be shocked if they keep the results a secret in order to use them for smash 5.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Banjo was on a train in Japan back in the day, Japan definitely knows of him. Just like DKC and K. Rool are popular in Japan, there's likely a general group of Rare fans in Japan who miss them just like us and likely got into Banjo because of DK.

I imagine Japan would be more subdued about it because they more than know the situation with Rare, and the word of Phil Spencer's tweet probably got to them really late because of language barriers and dismissal of it not being true.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Man it certainly is heartening to see international support for Banjo.
And the best part is that most of his Eastern support and popularity is because of the good old Banjo games (plus the nostalgia from when Nintendo used to work with Rare). I mean, I'm sure that they wouldn't be familiar with any Microsoft era Rare game (including Nuts & Bolts) because any Western product is doomed to flop in Japan.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Now I've played Banjo Kazooie Tooie and Grunty's Revenge but I've never tried Nuts and Bolts. I've never heard of anything positive about that game. Is it really bad or just not what people expected?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Now I've played Banjo Kazooie Tooie and Grunty's Revenge but I've never tried Nuts and Bolts. I've never heard of anything positive about that game. Is it really bad or just not what people expected?
From what I hear, it's a bit of both.
There are elements of the design that strongly imply it was never intended to be the driving game it is and that don't really work with that formula but in general it's decent for what it is. What it is being anything but the Banjo game fans wanted of course.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So if we pretend it's not a Banjo game would it be at least decent on its own merit?
Yes, though the usage of that Rare/Banjo humor would still make it entertaining if you ignore it. Like how they mentioned how "fun" the Canary Mary races were in the past and the Grabbed by the Ghoulies flop joke.

Words can't describe how much I hate that bird lady and her damn races. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I only hated the second race with her. It was far too long and that bird was far too fast. My hand was seriously cramped afterwards and I had no intention of going for a second round for that cheato page.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Nuts & Bolts was a perfectly good game that I had a lot of fun with, I didn't even care that the gameplay wasn't the same, I was just glad to see Banjo again (not like he didn't debut in a racing game anyway, right?). Though I do regret buying the game, because I also bought a 360 just to play it and never touched the thing again after beating the game. Massive waste of money.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's very absurd that MS now owns the rights to the bear and bird.
And they haven't done anything with it since Nuts & Bolts too (Unless you count that one unimportant flying tech demo). If only they can just sell the rights to Nintendo or even Playtonic so that the dynamic duo wouldn't rot in the same grave as Crash and Bomberman.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Maybe Microsoft is trying to push Rare again. I mean Rare came out with that new Rare Replay and soon will be introducing a new ip in the form of Sea of Thieves. Also Phil Spencer has commented on them lately with the likes of saying Banjo could be in Smash and that Rare is still a valued company. So maybe just maybe Rare could be making a resurgence because they are certainly more active than they have been in years.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I only hated the second race with her. It was far too long and that bird was far too fast. My hand was seriously cramped afterwards and I had no intention of going for a second round for that cheato page.
Yep, same here. But I came to new knowledge about how that race REALLY works. It's not about pushing the button as fast as possible - it's about the rubber-band effect. You're supposed to stay on short distance behind of Mary all the time - until you're close to the finish line. She won't rush away that way. But if you're ahead of her, she will always be faster and create some distance to you. But if you keep calm & mash the button once you're close to the finish line, you'll easily succeed.

Now... how in seven hells should a little kid know that, you ask? ... I don't know at all.

Maybe Microsoft is trying to push Rare again. I mean Rare came out with that new Rare Replay and soon will be introducing a new ip in the form of Sea of Thieves. Also Phil Spencer has commented on them lately with the likes of saying Banjo could be in Smash and that Rare is still a valued company. So maybe just maybe Rare could be making a resurgence because they are certainly more active than they have been in years.
In the recent DK Vine Kongversation, Hyle (or Chad) claimed that Rare never forgot about Banjo (& try to test him out once again with Rare Replay). Banjo is their biggest IP, after all. Also both of them believe that Rare will do SOMETHING on Banjo's 20th anniversary in 2018. Will it be Banjo-Threeie? I hope. Then I won't hesitate and get a XBOX One in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
And they haven't done anything with it since Nuts & Bolts too (Unless you count that one unimportant flying tech demo). If only they can just sell the rights to Nintendo or even Playtonic so that the dynamic duo wouldn't rot in the same grave as Crash and Bomberman.
From what I've heard, that flight demo was actually a fan project and nothing to do with microsoft.

MasterOfZoroark

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterOfZoroark
3DS FC
2165-8685-8074
Out of all the characters to vote for, this duo is the one I really want in Sm4sh the most. I'm definitely voting for them!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that I think of it, you seriously may be on to something. With all the flack about pre-Xbone Era Rare with all the Kinect games and Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Rare is actually putting some efforts to redeem themselves lately. That mind-blowing Sea of Thieves trailer did sell it to me in addition to Rare's release of a cheap collection full of fan favorite Rare titles. Maybe if Banjo himself would be included in Smash through Spencer's permission, they might think about making more Banjo games in the future while boosting the brand's popularity. I don't know, but it's a bit of a double edged sword since his appearance in Smash might be his first and last appearance on a Nintendo console.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I feel like someone should request Phil Spencer actually make a video of him voting for Banjo and Kazooie. I think that this would really show that Banjo is viable, that Microsoft truly is willing to let him in, and reignite the passion for the duo to be in that I feel has diminished somewhat since the ballot started. Bonus points if we could get the Playtonic team to do so as well.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Now that I think of it, you seriously may be on to something. With all the flack about pre-Xbone Era Rare with all the Kinect games and Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Rare is actually putting some efforts to redeem themselves lately. That mind-blowing Sea of Thieves trailer did sell it to me in addition to Rare's release of a cheap collection full of fan favorite Rare titles. Maybe if Banjo himself would be included in Smash through Spencer's permission, they might think about making more Banjo games in the future while boosting the brand's popularity. I don't know, but it's a bit of a double edged sword since his appearance in Smash might be his first and last returning appearance on a Nintendo console.
fixed.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Tried comparing the two posts and I don't really see that much of a difference. Maybe I'm a bit tired for this night, like that squirrel from Banjo Kazooie. :laugh:
Check that last sentence again, I added an extra word right before "appearance on a nintendo console".

I'm sure Nintendo and MS could work out some kind of deal though to get Banjo in Smash at least.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Check that last sentence again, I added an extra word right before "appearance on a nintendo console".

I'm sure Nintendo and MS could work out some kind of deal though to get Banjo in Smash at least.
Ah, I see what's the issue. Thanks for reminding me while I'm half tired.

Even if Microsoft and Nintendo are sworn competitors, I can see them working something out since Phil's a good guy who loved the glory days of Rare like the rest of us. Mainly, it would have to be Sakurai to speak with Microsoft since he's the one working with the third party negations (in addition to the higher ups of Nintendo because reasons).

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Ah, I see what's the issue. Thanks for reminding me while I'm half tired.

Even if Microsoft and Nintendo are sworn competitors, I can see them working something out since Phil's a good guy who loved the glory days of Rare like the rest of us. Mainly, it would have to be Sakurai to speak with Microsoft since he's the one working with the third party negations (in addition to the higher ups of Nintendo because reasons).
lol no problem.

Being with the many amount of 3rd party characters Sakurai's put in already, I can see him making the negotiations with them.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Gruntilda would have been the second playable Banjo-Kazooie character by this point if Rare stayed with Nintendo.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Gruntilda would have been the second playable Banjo-Kazooie character by this point if Rare stayed with Nintendo.
Agreed, we would have our first playable witch in the roster (assuming Bayo doesn't make it). Plus her hot form would be the perfect Final Smash.

Isn't that right
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Agreed, we would have our first playable witch in the roster (assuming Bayo doesn't make it). Plus her hot form would be the perfect Final Smash.

Isn't that right
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I always thought Hag 1 would be a better Final Smash move for her. I'm all for her hot form being an alt. skin though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom