• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

D

Deleted member

Believe me, 2002 and 2006 me would have screamed if this was announced back in the day. If Nintendo thought people got overly emotional with the return of Mewtwo and Lucas, the internet would be a tsunami of tears if Banjo and Kazooie were back in a Nintendo game.
To think that they were actually considered in the early stages of Melee but scrapped because the Stamper brothers sold Rare...

SO CLOSE.

So many reasons why this ballot can right what's wrong. There's literally NO good reason for the Bear and Bird not to be in Smash now that Spencer gave the OK, here's to hoping it pulls through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This gave me a lot of respect for Microsoft. We have to make it known through this ballot just how much Banjo & Kazooie mean to Nintendo's history and us!

Shog

Smash Ace
I can't think of characters that would have an easier moveset to think of... All of their unique moves are literally in the (first two) games.
I have to quote this: Me and my brother came up with a whole A moves moveset only thinking about the first game! Banjo is literally easy to design. And I wouldn't split them up, let them be like Duck Hunt Duo.

(There battlestyle would be Yoshi like btw. What I mean by that is good aerial moves and decent speed. But they could be unsafe or something)

I never played Banjo Tooie unfortunately T_T But I guess there are even MORE moves right? Like for B / Special moves and throws?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I have to quote this: Me and my brother came up with a whole A moves moveset only thinking about the first game! Banjo is literally easy to design. And I wouldn't split them up, let them be like Duck Hunt Duo.

(There battlestyle would be Yoshi like btw. What I mean by that is good aerial moves and decent speed. But they could be unsafe or something)

I never played Banjo Tooie unfortunately T_T But I guess there are even MORE moves right? Like for B / Special moves and throws?
Yes, you start of with all your moves from Kazooie & get additional ones on top. You even start at Spiral Mountain again. It's the most straight forward & awesome sequel I've ever played. Go play it!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Duck Hunt's only inspiration is the pairing of the two animals and really there was no way you could represent that game without having both the dog and the duck. And they probably were afraid of the dog using the duck as an attack.

Which is actually strange when you think about it considering Smash is a fighting game with actual children as playable fighters and you can kick their tiny child size ass with Mario.

D

Deleted member

Yes, you start of with all your moves from Kazooie & get additional ones on top. You even start at Spiral Mountain again. It's the most straight forward & awesome sequel I've ever played. Go play it!
Personally I've always preferred Tooie to Kazooie. It's literally more of the same, but bigger and improved in every way.

Only problem is that the game is packed with so much it suffers from some minor performance issues. But it's a phenomenal game. I love how all the worlds were interconnected and stuff too, and the way they implemented backtracking for a collectathon was great too. The world in general just felt much more alive, whereas by contrast, in Kazooie, each world felt more like a set-piece.

Tooie took everything Kazooie did great, and improved on it.

This guy makes a good video explaining what I mean, actually:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
As much as I hate them, we need one of those hashtags.

We can use it to bombard social media with. Something like #VoteBanjo or something. Someone can come up with something more creative.

Seeing how this thread took off, I'll update the OP later with pictures and whatnot. I guess this could become the new Banjo thread?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
as yes once again all those hopes are raised doomed to coming crashing down eventually

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I don't want Banjo and Kazooie to be in smash bros, I want Banjo & Kazooie 3... ç_ç

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
as yes once again all those hopes are raised doomed to coming crashing down eventually
It is a chance and we should take it, simple as that. It would be an awesome bonus to something in veeery happy with.

I'm glad enough that the core Banjo team's working on a spiritual Banjo Threeie, which will come to Wii U eventually. That will be better than everything Rare / Microsoft could ever do with Banjo.

We can use it to bombard social media with. Something like #VoteBanjo or something. Someone can come up with something more creative.

Seeing how this thread took off, I'll update the OP later with pictures and whatnot. I guess this could become the new Banjo thread?
DK Vine used #YesWeKazooie... is that good? :grin:

Yes, please! Apparently, the mods can't merge both threads, for whatever reason. Just copy/paste stuff from the original thread over & give it a decent name!

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
For his Final Smash, I'd imagine Banjo to use the plane from Banjo Pilot/Diddy Kong Racing, I think it would be fitting. You could control him flying around the stage and have him shoot missiles.
Think of it as being a bit like Megaman's Beat hyper in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

#BanjoForSmash is the first one that comes up with you do a # followed by Banjo on Twitter so I think that means it's the most used right now.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Updated. Feel free to send in movesets and whatnot, and I'll add them to the OP.

We also need to agree on a hashtag. I like #YesWeKazooie

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That Microsoft message... brought a tear to my eye and my body to this thread.

I do, however, think there are still some obstacles; Microsoft would be giving the go ahead, but honestly I think that any sane developer would want their character in Smash.
Nintendo may not want to use Banjo Kazooie to promote a Microsoft exclusive character.

Now, if they were willing to work out some sort of deal, perhaps. This harkens back to a post of mine previously in here/another Banjo thread. I have always believe there was hope for the Bear and Bird- but both companies must get something out of it.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I do, however, think there are still some obstacles; Microsoft would be giving the go ahead, but honestly I think that any sane developer would want their character in Smash.
Nintendo may not want to use Banjo Kazooie to promote a Microsoft exclusive character.

Now, if they were willing to work out some sort of deal, perhaps. This harkens back to a post of mine previously in here/another Banjo thread. I have always believe there was hope for the Bear and Bird- but both companies must get something out of it.
I think to some extent they do even if Nintendo got no more than Banjo in Smash. Anyone who buys and enjoys Banjo games on Microsoft thinks "these characters are in that fighting game with Nintendo characters"!

But I think it'd be a good idea to either have an exclusive 3DS Banjo game (maybe port Banjo-Kazooie 3D remake). Or they could port Banjo Threeie to the Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Updated. Feel free to send in movesets and whatnot, and I'll add them to the OP.

We also need to agree on a hashtag. I like #YesWeKazooie
I don't quite like it, remember, you're not trying to appeal to Smash fans alone, but rather ALL gamers. A lot of people who see that might not know what the hashtag is referring to exactly upon first seeing it.

#BanjoForSm4sh is quite good imo. It's short, simple and to the point.

I do think that there are a fair share of obstacles, but honest, a lot fall out of our hands. More than anything though, if we show Nintendo massive demand for Banjo, they won't turn down the pile of cash that would follow.

The more noise it makes the better it turns for everyone in fact. It generates hype and publicity, and every vote for Banjo is essentially a DLC sale. Banjo needs to not only come out on top, but also outclass all the competition to make it worthwhile (granted we'll never know the results of the ballots), but I think we're off to a good start already. 2500 retweets and mainstream publicity is damn nice.

Plus, it's not unlike Nintendo to promote rival exclusive property. Metal Gear Solid 4 to this day remains a PS3 exclusive, and Smash Brawl blatantly promotes it with assets from the game, before the game even released mind you. So, it's not beyond the realm of possibilities for it to happen. Especially not if it means MASSIVE DLC, amiibo, and VC sales for Nintendo, and free publicity for a rumored Banjo game for Microsoft. Hell, if the hype is there, it might even mean increased console sales for BOTH of them.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I know everybody's gonna say Spiral Mountain, but let me ask this.

What would be a good stage for Banjo Kazooie? Here's a list I made of stages I wouldn't mind

Mumbo's Mountain
Click Cluck Wood
Treasure Trove Cove
Freezeazy Peak
Mad Monster Mansion
Mayahem Temple
Grunty Industries
Terrydactyland

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

What would be a good stage for Banjo Kazooie? Here's a list I made of stages I wouldn't mind

Mumbo's Mountain
Click Cluck Wood
Treasure Trove Cove
Freezeazy Peak
Mad Monster Mansion
Mayahem Temple
Grunty Industries
Terrydactyland
Spiral Mountain is the area I most strongly associate with Banjo.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've seen that. If you google the reddit poll you'll find the reddit post.

However, the vote tally is from before the Spencer Tweet, so it'd make sense Banjo would be so low when people didn't really think he had a shot, and also for some reason, you can't vote anymore. I tried this morning and couldn't.

2nd, the votes are pretty much only from SWF and r/smash, so it's not an accurate tally of all the votes, and if you've noticed the reaction in the main thread here, for some reason, a lot of Smash fans don't really much care for the idea of Banjo being in and would rather "muh most wanted character" to be in instead. It's understandable though, since a fair deal of the Smash userbase is underage and wasn't around for the Golden Era of Rare.

Everyone who ever gave a **** about Rare, and classic Nintendo is voting Banjo though, whether they own a WiiU or not. News of Phil's tweet just need to reach their ears first.
As a representative of your specified demographic, I must take issue with this sentiment.

This is precisely what I meant when I voiced concern over Banjo being "confirmed" for Smash: people will, with the best of intentions, hype the situation and spread the good news. That's great.

The issue only becomes an issue when people take it as a dogma, a creed to be forced upon others extreme prejudice. Suggesting that anybody who does not actively want Banjo is narrow-minded and ignorant is an inflammatory and misbegotten notion. It is no concern of yours whom I or anybody else chooses to vote for, and apathy towards Banjo should not be misinterpreted as malice towards the character.

Furthermore, your tone is unnecessarily condescending. You seem to suggest that the only reason people would not want to vote for Banjo is because they're underage or have never played a good game in their lives. I have played Banjo-Kazooie many times, I think it's a superb game and I think the characters were, as I say, born to be in Smash. It's a tragedy that they are only now being really considered, but I am very happy that it's happening all the same, and delighted for fans of the character. But sentiments like this, expressed with all due sincerity, don't make things get better. Your sweeping declaration only serves to incense people who have differing opinions and alienate your cause from potential supporters.

I find this to be a very ignorant and misinformed message, and I am sorry to say that I find it difficult to embrace a campaign if this is its core manifesto. "Our character is better than yours, everything else is a lesser option"? No thank you. I grew up with classic Nintendo, and yet Rare was never a big part of my life. Should I be chastised and hounded for possessing a different point of view?

This is what concerns me about the "voting" system: it risks demeaning itself to a political race to the finish where critics are ignored and impartial observers are lambasted by inane dogma. That is extremely unfortunate, and I find it distasteful. I humbly suggest you reassess your priorities before tarring and feathering others' opinions. We can all work together and help each-other if we try, but as it stands, I am not willing to lend my support to this cause.

D

Deleted member

Mumbo's Mountain
Click Cluck Wood
Treasure Trove Cove
Freezeazy Peak
Mad Monster Mansion
Mayahem Temple
Grunty Industries
Terrydactyland
I'd say two stages:

Spiral Mountain as a sort of Yoshi's Island (Brawl) stages, where you fight atop the mountain and you have the rest of the place as backdrop. You can see Banjo's house as well as other recognizable locales in the scenery. You have Bottle's molehill onstage, and he'll pop up a la Resetti and give random "advice." Every once in a while, Gruntilda swoops down laughing and slams into a player.

2nd is without a doubt Grunty's Lair which is very much like Isle Delfino and Skyloft, you travel throughout famous parts of her lair till you reach the top. All throughout you have Grunty occasionally saying different things to mock the players in rhyme.

As a representative of your specified demographic, I must take issue with this sentiment.

This is precisely what I meant when I voiced concern over Banjo being "confirmed" for Smash: people will, with the best of intentions, hype the situation and spread the good news. That's great.

The issue only becomes an issue when people take it as a dogma, a creed to be forced upon others extreme prejudice. Suggesting that anybody who does not actively want Banjo is narrow-minded and ignorant is an inflammatory and misbegotten notion. It is no concern of yours whom I or anybody else chooses to vote for, and apathy towards Banjo should not be misinterpreted as malice towards the character.

Furthermore, your tone is unnecessarily condescending. You seem to suggest that the only reason people would not want to vote for Banjo is because they're underage or have never played a good game in their lives. I have played Banjo-Kazooie many times, I think it's a superb game and I think the characters were, as I say, born to be in Smash. It's a tragedy that they are only now being really considered, but I am very happy that it's happening all the same, and delighted for fans of the character. But sentiments like this, expressed with all due sincerity, don't make things get better. Your sweeping declaration only serves to incense people who have differing opinions and alienate your cause from potential supporters.

I find this to be a very ignorant and misinformed message, and I am sorry to say that I find it difficult to embrace a campaign if this is its core manifesto. "Our character is better than yours, everything else is a lesser option"? No thank you. I grew up with classic Nintendo, and yet Rare was never a big part of my life. Should I be chastised and hounded for possessing a different point of view?

This is what concerns me about the "voting" system: it risks demeaning itself to a political race to the finish where critics are ignored and impartial observers are lambasted by inane dogma. That is extremely unfortunate, and I find it distasteful. I humbly suggest you reassess your priorities before tarring and feathering others' opinions. We can all work together and help each-other if we try, but as it stands, I am not willing to lend my support to this cause.
Dude, my tone is ALWAYS unnecessarily condescending (usually unintentionally in fact). Overwhelming confidence and arrogance form part of who I am. :p

Don't take it personally.

Also, as an aside, I gotta say that this whole Smash Ballots deal was marketing GENIUS on Nintendo's behalf. It's cause so many waves across the internet it's literally rocked the gaming communities. It just means more attention for them and their game tbh.

Regardless of who does or doesn't get in, they garnered themselves a fair deal of publicity by having this open ballot.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Yeah, Spiral Mountain is the really clear choice.
Of that list only Mumbo's Mountain would even make a little sense.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Dude, my tone is ALWAYS unnecessarily condescending (usually unintentionally in fact). Overwhelming confidence and arrogance form part of who I am. :p

Don't take it personally.
I'm not taking it personally. I honestly could care less how you express yourself, it's not my foot I'm shooting.

I'm merely suggesting you consider how you express yourself in future. You've already alienated one potential supporter - not a good marketing strategy, any way you slice it.

I was at Ground Zero when the Ridley fallout happened. I only pray that this does not become the same as that.

I'm keeping myself at a sufficient distance right now. It's my honest opinion, and you're free to make of it what you will.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo's done Smash Ballets in the past (for the N64 and Brawl) but they were essentially Japanese exclusives. The big difference this time is that they've opened it up to the world. Also, it should be kept in mind that this will likely be a resource used to determine characters for the next game too and not just for the upcoming DLC.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm not taking it personally. I honestly could care less how you express yourself, it's not my foot I'm shooting.

I'm merely suggesting you consider how you express yourself in future. You've already alienated one potential supporter - not a good marketing strategy, any way you slice it.

I was at Ground Zero when the Ridley fallout happened. I only pray that this does not become the same as that.

I'm keeping myself at a sufficient distance right now. It's my honest opinion, and you're free to make of it what you will.
The whole Ridley thing was far too large to top....

But seriously, its a shame Ridley isnt in and I'm still pretty skeptical of Banjo's chances. It's just great to see such large support emerge for an inactive franchise... (That Kinect demo... I just don't know what to say)

I think if Rare never left Nintendo then we would have Banjo-Kazooie and Grunty playable at this point with Mumbo and bottles as assist trophies and Spiral Mountain and Grunty's Lair as stages.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think if Rare never left Nintendo we'd have countless good Banjo games at this point.

Banjo in Smash. Probably someone like Joanna Dark too.

Perfect Dark probably wouldn't be dead after two games.

The universe where Rare never left Nintendo is basically the one I want to live in honestly.

D

Deleted member

Dude, if the character gets in, the character gets in, if it doesn't it doesn't.

It'd be cool if we got Banjo, and I'd be happy to see it happen. But it's overall, just a videogame man. I wouldn't be super upset if it didn't happen, I'd just get on with my life as always and that's pretty much it. I've got too many awesome things happening in my life to allow something like that sour it, and my life doesn't revolve around a video game and the decisions made by a group of old Japanese men.

I'm just excited at the possibility of seeing Banjo in Smash is all, something I never imaged was possible since the Rare acquisition. If it doesn't happen though, too bad. Still got other **** to look forward to in life.

And nah, I won't be changing the way I express myself anytime soon either. :p Antagonizing people for the hell of it is fun. :smirk:

Something something Playtonic games.
seriously everyone knows about that right?

anyway while Banjo would be absolutely amazing, I think the whole being a competitor is a problem. It doesn't help microsoft hates Banjo. Wont stop anyone from trying though.
square nose would also be disgusting

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like the problem is Microsoft is still learning the ropes when it comes to some type of games.

Which is why Spencer probably acknowledges they've went to Nintendo about Rare's IPs before.

I don't think they hate the Rare IPs so much as they're just not sure about how to go about them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Armageddeon is soon happening, I can feel it...!

BIRD & BEAR BABY!!

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior

anyway while Banjo would be absolutely amazing, I think the whole being a competitor is a problem. It doesn't help microsoft hates Banjo. Wont stop anyone from trying though.
square nose would also be disgusting
They tried an failed to make them a Microsoft mascot. Hence them being in Sonic Racing and whatnot. They may try again in the future. I don't think they hate them, they just don't know what do with them. Microsoft's audience isn't exactly he audience for them.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd love the Bear and Bird to make it in, but TBH Smash having a rival's 1st Party IP would be so shocking that they should save it for the next game, not DLC. It would be a huge deal, one that hits nostalgia like a truck AND changes expectations.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
If Microsoft or Nintendo could promise me that it wouldn't be the Nuts n bolts one I'd gladly vote Banjo Kazooie he is my 3rd over all most wanted character! Well I guess Second most wanted because the other one has not the slightest chance xD

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
This guy makes a good video explaining what I mean, actually:
Oh yes, I know Really Freakin' Clever! That guy really nailed it!

I hope so! The Kickstarter in May should skyrocket to the next galaxy :colorful:

Concerning the music: You know what would be great battle music?

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I second this motion. The moment I saw that tweet from Phil a couple days back, my eyes just lit up with excitement XD. I can hardly believe this is an actual possibility. I'll definitely be casting a vote for these guys.

As a side note, has any one set up a possible moveset for these guys in this thread yet? as I'm working on one right now myself, and would be glad to post it when its done

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think Click Clock Wood could be a good stage if it's set on the big tree. Though, I assume they'd just choose Spiral Mountain since there'd only be one Banjo stage.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Another possible stage choice could be the entire Isle o' Hags and it would take you to different parts like Spiral Mountain, Hailfire Peaks and so on.

Top Bottom