• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Hm, they are? Joe appeared in more games though. I think his importance is a bit higher.
Let's look at each individual appearance of the two, and see how they stack up against one another.

Joe's set of appearances:

Superstar - Only generic enemy to give Fighter Ability (alongside Mid-boss Iron Ma'am), and its Helper. Considered the "face" of the Helper system. Also the second tier (of three) of Megaton Punch difficulty.

Superstar Stacker (Japanese only game) - Fourth opponent (of six plus a hidden) in falling block vs. game.

Superstar Ultra - See Superstar. In addition, was given opening title treatment for Helper to Hero. Appears on box art, alongside all Helpers in game.

Mass Attack - In the mini-game Kirby Brawlball, one of Marx's attacks is to split into a vortex to suck in enemies, then spits them out. One enemy is Knuckle Joe, among other famous ones.

Return to Dreamland - Just a generic enemy, but now the only way to get Fighter.

Dream Collection - A generic enemy to beat.

Triple Deluxe - Set to reappear, similar to Return to Dreamland.

Bandana Dee's set of appearances:

Superstar - First competitor in Megaton Punch. That's it.

Superstar Ultra - Reappears in Megaton Punch. However, he also was incorporated into the plot of Revenge of the King, with dialog, a mini-boss fight, and general association with Dedede. He also replaces the memetic Arena Waddle Dee.

Mass Attack - In the Mini-game Strato Patrol EOS, he cameos as cheering the fight between Meta Knight and Kirby alongside Sailor Waddle Dee.

Return to Dreamland - Playable character by players 2-4, spotlighted in story cut scenes, and can be used by Player one in the Arena Modes after playing through them as Kirby. Also given promotion and appearance on the box art.

Dream Collection - Appears in the Intro and Credits. notably, he is the youngest created character in the credits celebrating the anniversary (Magolor appears, but leaves before the celebration), after Dreamland 2's Bouncy.

This is, of course, assuming that you're just counting Bandana Dee as representing just himself and not Waddle Dees in general, in which case you can add Crystal Shards and Canvas Curse to the list of playable appearances, and also the fact that Waddle Dees have appeared in every Kirby game to date, something not even Krakco, Wispy Woods, Meta Knight, or even King Dedede can claim!

Joe's importance seems to steam mostly from anime popularity, which he only appeared in 4 out of 100 episodes. He is popular and more reoccurring, I'll give you that, but important? I consider Waddle Doo, the Poppy Bros. and Sir Kibble to be more important; not only were they Helpers, but they have been with the series sense the beginning and have made more consistent appearances. Bandanna Dee, being the Kamek to Dedede's Browser, is easily the more important of the two.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I think we can all agree Bandana Dee also represents all Waddle Dees. Especially since he IS one after all.

And I'm sure everyone's moveset probably has at least his Parasol OR Megaton Punch.

D

Deleted member

Knuckle Joe IS a popular character. While he represents the Helpers in Kirby Super Star, that can't hide the fact that he is still an enemy. I do believe that the Kirby anime has made an impact on Knuckle Joe's popularity. Nintendo animes have helped characters gain popularity and get requested; notable examples are Zoroark and Genesect from Pokemon (thanks to the movies they are in) and Black Shadow from F-Zero (who is highly requested in Japan and was voiced by a famous voice actor from there).

In terms of importance, I would give this one to Bandana Dee. While he is seen as a regular enemy with a bandana, he has importance in his own right and has appeared in numerous games. With Kirby 64 already referenced, I bet that Bandana Dee would replace the generic Waddle Dee if Nintendo made a remake. Bandana Dee has gained popularity thanks to Kirby's Return to Dream Land and he looks like he will get more roles after that game. He did appear alongside Meta Knight and King Dedede for the 25th Anniversary game, so Nintendo has been giving some light to Bandana Dee. I bet with each new Kirby game that comes out, he will get more roles within those games. It's important that he does too because he would be a complete shoo-in for SSB5 with an on-going popularity. (assuming that King Dedede won't pull a Peach with his side special)

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
- Joe's importance seems to steam mostly from anime popularity, which he only appeared in 4 out of 100 episodes.
- I consider Waddle Doo, the Poppy Bros. and Sir Kibble to be more important; not only were they Helpers, but they have been with the series sense the beginning and have made more consistent appearances.

- Those 4 episodes where acually important for the plot.
- Thats not a reason at all, or you think sir kibble is more important than phanphan, kawasaki or adeleine?
AT btw, if it wasnt because return to dreamland joe will be definitely the most likely choise.
And actually he have a chance, bandana will be just a DDD move ;D

D

Deleted member

If Bandana Dee appears in Kirby Triple Deluxe. Do you think that will increase his chances?
Hmm… maybe. I think it does for the next game. I don't think that Sakurai had any prior knowledge of Kirby Triple Deluxe. If he did, then yes; it raises his chances.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
- Those 4 episodes where acually important for the plot.
- Thats not a reason at all, or you think sir kibble is more important than phanphan, kawasaki or adeleine?
AT btw, if it wasnt because return to dreamland joe will be definitely the most likely choise.
Exactly, too bad that Return's to Dreamland exists :smirk:
Also...choise plz.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Exactly,if.
You are lucky, if it wasnt because that game i will be trying to convince everybody how important he really was in super star ultra...

Now he is just a character known to not being able to canonically fly, that's just sad :'''(

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Look at this:

Escargoon has a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack ...and that's very weird because Bandana Dee is Dedede's right hand now XD

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Those 4 episodes where acually important for the plot.
Yes, two of those episodes were a part of the Series Finale. The other two, though, were just a story-arc several episodes apart. Again, I claim popularity played a fairly big role in this. For now, though, I say the two cannons should stay mostly separate, as Sakurai intended, so it shouldn't effect much.

Thats not a reason at all, or you think sir kibble is more important than phanphan, kawasaki or adeleine?

Phan Phan? You mean the Rolling Turtle replacement guy? ... Hardly important at all. To be honest, I was surprised to see him return for Super Star Ultra. I kinda doubt he has a future. The anime just gave him a token episode, which Bonkers also got and imitated (though Phan Phan still got referenced).

Chef Kawasaki, while memorable, I'm not exactly certain could be called important. He's the Waluigi of the Kirby universe, appearing in countless mini-games yet almost never in the main game. This one's fairly open to interpretation, though my gut still says Kibble wins out.

Adeleine, I'll give you that one. It's a shame she'll never reappear in the series, though. Anyone have any idea where Mizumori Ado, her real life inspiration and artist for Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Crystal Shards, went? That might hold a few answers for the Dark Matter games...

Yes, Return to Dreamland is the main reason Dee is the main competitor. But, uh, can we really claim Joe was the most likely? Didn't ChronoBound say Gooey was the most popular choice for a Kirby newcomer in Japan before Returns?

Maaayybe. Still, HAL has shown that they know Bandana Dee is unusually popular. He'll appear on the field as an Assist Trophy alongside Knuckle Joe at minimum, assuming he isn't a playable character. I'm willing to bet that Joe's staying as an Assist trophy regardless of Dee's role, though.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Look at this:

Escargoon has a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack ...and that's very weird because Bandana Dee is Dedede's right hand now.

Is not weird, Bandana is closer to a metaknight role talking about DDDs Castle organization, Escargoon is more like a toy.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
- Yes, two of those episodes were a part of the Series Finale. The other two, though, were just a story-arc several episodes apart. Again, I claim popularity played a fairly big role in this. For now, though, I say the two cannons should stay mostly separate, as Sakurai intended, so it shouldn't effect much.

- Phan Phan? You mean the Rolling Turtle replacement guy? ... Hardly important at all. To be honest, I was surprised to see him return for Super Star Ultra. I kinda doubt he has a future. The anime just gave him a token episode, which Bonkers also got and imitated (though Phan Phan still got referenced).
Chef Kawasaki, while memorable, I'm not exactly certain could be called important. He's the Waluigi of the Kirby universe, appearing in countless mini-games yet almost never in the main game. This one's fairly open to interpretation, though my gut still says Kibble wins out.
Adeleine, I'll give you that one. It's a shame she'll never reappear in the series, though. Anyone have any idea where Mizumori Ado, her real life inspiration and artist for Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Crystal Shards, went? That might hold a few answers for the Dark Matter games...

- Yes, Return to Dreamland is the main reason Dee is the main competitor. But, uh, can we really claim Joe was the most likely? Didn't ChronoBound say Gooey was the most popular choice for a Kirby newcomer in Japan before Returns?

- Maaayybe. Still, HAL has shown that they know Bandana Dee is unusually popular. He'll appear on the field as an Assist Trophy alongside Knuckle Joe at minimum, assuming he isn't a playable character. I'm willing to bet that Joe's staying as an Assist trophy regardless of Dee's role, though.
- Important is important, and you know they were ;D

- I was comparing it to sir kibble and poppy bros. They dont have an actually important role in the games, even blade knight is more memorable than those guys, but none of them is the enough to beat joe in importance. He is popular because he was made to be popular, i just think you are completelly wrong there, the evidence is in the games.
I wasnt surprised about phanphan in super star ultra btw, it was about old nightmare in dreamland bosses, obvious choice, the anime didnt really help him there xD

- I dont think so, but goey is a strong candidate and can offer a lot to the game, but i really doubt he could be over joe, i was sad he didnt make it to K64 though ._.

- Unusually? it was planned, just like joe, they knew what they where doing xD

D

Deleted member

Miiverse needs more Bandana Dee!
I've made one post regarding to Bandana Dee and I got 2 replies.
1. I think he has potential for a good moveset in Smash, and it would be good, as it would balance out the amount of Kirby Characters in the game.
2. Yes, Waddle Dee should be in the game.
(and yes, that Mii is supposed to be stupid)
I'll ask again on Miiverse and see if I can get new replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
links broken mate
But I can see it ._.
I've made one post regarding to Bandana Dee and I got 2 replies.
1. I think he has potential for a good moveset in Smash, and it would be good, as it would balance out the amount of Kirby Characters in the game.
2. Yes, Waddle Dee should be in the game.
(and yes, that Mii is supposed to be stupid)
I'll ask again on Miiverse and see if I can get new replies.
Thank you! :D

D

Deleted member

Thank you! :D
You're welcome! You can see that post, right? If you can, then here is the second post.
One person thinks that it's a great idea. The other person, while saying that he can easily be given a moveset, believes Bandana Dee is best fit as an Assist Trophy.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
well that one finally worked, . . .
and seemed like a bunch of unnecessary work, but I thank you none the less mate, sorry about that trouble pal
You're welcome! You can see that post, right? If you can, then here is the second post.
One person thinks that it's a great idea. The other person, while saying that he can easily be given a moveset, believes Bandana Dee is best fit as an Assist Trophy.
well that's slightly weird, if anything he'll have to do something with king dedede's moveset before he'll be an assist trophy

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
:)
Yeah I can see your question but not the answers of the other people, thanks for writing them.
Bandana Dee is pretty popular in Miiverse ._.
well that one finally worked, . . .
and seemed like a bunch of unnecessary work, but I thank you none the less mate, sorry about that trouble pal

well that's slightly weird, if anything he'll have to do something with king dedede's moveset before he'll be an assist trophy
No problem!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:)
Yeah I can see your question but not the answers of the other people,thanks for writing them.
Bandana Dee is pretty popular in Miiverse ._.
You're welcome! I'll wait until tomorrow to see if there have been new comments.

I still think that Bandana Dee has a legitimate chance though. While Miiverse is "meh" about him, he is still popular in other places. The most notable place is Japan, which matters the most. Hypothetically speaking, he could be an Assist Trophy. If that was the case, then there are three critical things that we must look at that could help or hurt his chances altogether.
1. If Assist Trophies in Brawl can become fighters in SSB4, then I have confidence that some Assist Trophies in SSB4 can be fighters in SSB5. This would help keep Bandana Dee a chance in SSB5 if he does become an Assist Trophy. We should pay attention to Little Mac if he is confirmed to be playable.
2. Bandana Dee has been given attention by Nintendo and HAL. If this attention keeps growing and he has more roles in future games, then I think that Bandana Dee will have a better chance of getting in SSB5. I am unsure as to if he will have a role in Kirby Triple Deluxe.
3. This is the most critical one of them all; King Dedede's reveal. If King Dedede still has his side special, then it could be possible that he could throw out Bandana Dee. Toad is highly popular in Japan, but his fans have been incredibly pessimistic about him being playable in SSB4 as they think that he will forever have a permanent role as Peach's neutral special. If King Dedede throws out Bandana Dee, then Japan will grow pessimistic again and not support Bandana Dee. Not only that, but this would definitely kill all of Bandana Dee's chances in any Smash game.

Though, I doubt Bandana Dee would be an Assist Trophy. That role should go to Magolor or be kept to Knuckle Joe.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Or another helper like Rocky, Sir Kibble or Bonkers!
So many possibilities!
You're welcome! I'll wait until tomorrow to see if there have been new comments.

I still think that Bandana Dee has a legitimate chance though. While Miiverse is "meh" about him, he is still popular in other places. The most notable place is Japan, which matters the most. Hypothetically speaking, he could be an Assist Trophy. If that was the case, then there are three critical things that we must look at that could help or hurt his chances altogether.
1. If Assist Trophies in Brawl can become fighters in SSB4, then I have confidence that some Assist Trophies in SSB4 can be fighters in SSB5. This would help keep Bandana Dee a chance in SSB5 if he does become an Assist Trophy. We should pay attention to Little Mac if he is confirmed to be playable.
2. Bandana Dee has been given attention by Nintendo and HAL. If this attention keeps growing and he has more roles in future games, then I think that Bandana Dee will have a better chance of getting in SSB5. I am unsure as to if he will have a role in Kirby Triple Deluxe.
3. This is the most critical one of them all; King Dedede's reveal. If King Dedede still has his side special, then it could be possible that he could throw out Bandana Dee. Toad is highly popular in Japan, but his fans have been incredibly pessimistic about him being playable in SSB4 as they think that he will forever have a permanent role as Peach's neutral special. If King Dedede throws out Bandana Dee, then Japan will grow pessimistic again and not support Bandana Dee. Not only that, but this would definitely kill all of Bandana Dee's chances in any Smash game.
You are right, we really need to know if Dedede's side B is a problem for Bandana Dee, that's why I hope for a Dedede reveal for Christmas instead of Zelda or Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

Though, I doubt Bandana Dee would be an Assist Trophy. That role should go to Magolor or be kept to Knuckle Joe.
first things first, can someone explain something to me why bandana dee has a chance to become a assist trophy? I mean I always thought he would end up as part of king dedede's throw or a trophy, or a playable character,
well now anyway your points
1. it is already proven from a certain perspective that assist trophys can become playable, that was proven by this guy:006: he might not have been an assist trophy, but he was a pokeball, and now he's battling in the ring
2. yes he popularity and his own roles have been getting more and more fame and publicity, enough to say that he is probably the 4th go to character in the Kirby series from this point on
3. agreed, his worst enemy is his own king, we better pray and hope he doesn't get thrown by the old king . . .
my thoughts on your list

D

Deleted member

1. it is already proven from a certain perspective that assist trophys can become playable, that was proven by this guy:006: he might not have been an assist trophy, but he was a pokeball, and now he's battling in the ring
2. yes he popularity and his own roles have been getting more and more fame and publicity, enough to say that he is probably the 4th go to character in the Kirby series from this point on
3. agreed, his worst enemy is his own king, we better pray and hope he doesn't get thrown by the old king . . .
my thoughts on your list
1. …I keep forgetting about Charizard being playable.
2. Agreed. I think that his popularity will keep growing if his roles and appearances keep growing. Even if he doesn't get in this game, he could pretty much be a shoo-in for Smash 5.
3. I will know how the Toad fans feel if this happens…

Morbi

Scavenger
first things first, can someone explain something to me why bandana dee has a chance to become a assist trophy? I mean I always thought he would end up as part of king dedede's throw or a trophy, or a playable character,
well now anyway your points
my thoughts on your list
1. The Charizard example is moot as he is the most popular Pokemon to walk the earth. It honestly draws no relevant correlations as it isn't the same item, it isn't the same franchise, the circumstances are not the same, the conditions are not the same, and the mentality is not the same. I honestly don't view it as significant evidence. I am not sure, but is that the only item gone playable? If so, it is an exception to the rule, not the rule.

2. I think he is most likely as a 4th playable character as well. I have supported Waddle Dee since I joined the site. He is certainly one of my most wanted newcomers; however, Sakurai's modesty is his biggest and only hurdle in my opinion. If he cannot make it as a playable character, I think he may be considered as an assist trophy as he is an important staple of Kirby. He may not be important enough (to Sakurai) to include though. In that case, it seems rational that he would be the newest Kirby assist trophy.

3. That is irrelevant. Bandanna Dee is not a generic Waddle Dee, not only that, but he isn't exclusive to Dedede either. He also has the spikey ones and the eye ones. So it is slightly different than our favorite snatch-fungus-meat-shield. I do not view Dedede's special as a threat, he can still utilize Waddle Dee's if Bandanna Dee is playable. The overt difference is the Bandanna.

Just my thoughts. Can't let you do that!

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
1. The Charizard example is moot as he is the most popular Pokemon to walk the earth. It honestly draws no relevant correlations as it isn't the same item, it isn't the same franchise, the circumstances are not the same, the conditions are not the same, and the mentality is not the same. I honestly don't view it as significant evidence. I am not sure, but is that the only item gone playable? If so, it is an exception to the rule, not the rule.
fair enough, I was only stating that someone has gotten promoted to playable status before . . .
2. I think he is most likely as a 4th playable character as well. I have supported Waddle Dee since I joined the site. He is certainly one of my most wanted newcomers; however, Sakurai's modesty is his biggest and only hurdle in my opinion. If he cannot make it as a playable character, I think he may be considered as an assist trophy as he is an important staple of Kirby. He may not be important enough (to Sakurai) to include though. In that case, it seems rational that he would be the newest Kirby assist trophy.
I don't think sakurai's modesty will turn him into a assist trophy, like we all said before most likely if sakurai's modesty plays a role, he'll be thrown by king dedede . . . or something to do with his final smash . . . I don't know
3. That is irrelevant. Bandanna Dee is not a generic Waddle Dee, not only that, but he isn't exclusive to Dedede either. He also has the spikey ones and the eye ones. So it is slightly different than our favorite snatch-fungus-meat-shield. I do not view Dedede's special as a threat, he can still utilize Waddle Dee's if Bandanna Dee is playable. The overt difference is the Bandanna.
actally we were talking aobut if the waddle dee he throws is wearing the bandana, therefore making it that he is throwing bandana dee, thus making him share the same fate as toad.
Just my thoughts. Can't let you do that!
insta.png

Top Bottom