• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters
I have some questions for you guys (Yes,I'm still alive).
1st: Where does :4metaknight: live? On the Halberd? In the forest?
2nd: When seeing fan material of Kirby (fan art, fan comics, fan fiction,etc) what are your pet peeves?
My list​
  • When Dark Meta Knight looks like :4metaknight:'s dark palate swap in Brawl. Has red eyes instead of yellow.
  • When the characters transform into gjinkas: they make :4dedede: skinny, draw :4kirby: wearing a star jacket (so original...), make characters like Magolor and Taranza have white skin (even though in canon, they both have dark skin).
  • Marx having one blue eye and one red eye, when he has purple eyes.
  • People who think that :4kirby: and :4metaknight: are Star Warriors and created by Nightmare. (Would I be a hypocrite since sometimes I call Kirby, Warrior of the Stars?)
1. Halberd, probably.
2. Gijinkas and deesturbing Bandana Dee art (like that one with fingers and mouth) in general.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't know, but I'll bet that he was mighty annoyed when Kirby sunk the thing! :laugh:

2nd: When seeing fan material of Kirby (fan art, fan comics, fan fiction,etc) what are your pet peeves?
I think everyone here would've guessed mine before I ever wrote it: Dedede being depicted as a bad guy! :laugh:

Also, elements from the anime being treated as if they're game canon. They aren't. :p (This goes especially for Tiff, Tuff, and Escargoon. To the latter's credit, he helped to make the anime bearable for what it is, but none of them have any association with the games.)

I stress that this is not in any way a knock against anyone's work or its quality. I'm just objectively listing my pet peeves. ;)

People who think that :4kirby: and :4metaknight: are Star Warriors and created by Nightmare. (Would I be a hypocrite since sometimes I call Kirby, Warrior of the Stars?)
I would say you're using more of a nickname, there, so I don't think that's hypocritical. After all, the series' Japanese title in full is "Hoshi no Kirby" - literally, "Kirby of the Stars". ;)

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I personally think he will be silent if he's put into Smash, kinda like how he is in Triple Deluxe and Super Star.

I would seem really weird to me if he got a voice actor.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
My list​
  • When Dark Meta Knight looks like :4metaknight:'s dark palate swap in Brawl. Has red eyes instead of yellow.
  • When the characters transform into gjinkas: they make :4dedede: skinny, draw :4kirby: wearing a star jacket (so original...), make characters like Magolor and Taranza have white skin (even though in canon, they both have dark skin).
  • Marx having one blue eye and one red eye, when he has purple eyes.
  • People who think that :4kirby: and :4metaknight: are Star Warriors and created by Nightmare. (Would I be a hypocrite since sometimes I call Kirby, Warrior of the Stars?)
The anime aside, I guess still somewhere from space, the Halberd is his ship, and he'd likely stay in there or anyway on Popstar, wherever he wants.

Pet peeve, (yes it means what pisses you off, btw, is femaleitized Kirby characters that wasn't originally that (rule 63 as it's known), I found it...disgusting....to each their own, but Hell no from me.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I personally think he will be silent if he's put into Smash, kinda like how he is in Triple Deluxe and Super Star.

At most, he should make his duck noises from Rainbow Curse.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
For some reason this reminds me of how weird it all seemed when Mario got an official in-game voice for the first time. It took a lot of folks a lot of time to get used to it, myself included, as his most long-running speaking role prior to that had been in the officially-licensed cartoon shows (and an alarm clock, which used either one of these actors, or a soundalike to them), where he sounded very, very different. Even the movie's depiction was modelled after this.

It seems surreal now that it ever seemed odd. :laugh:

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I apologize in advance for the massive text wall.
Where Meta Knight lives? I don't know where he lives, but I don't think he even needs a home, the man can fly to get whatever he wants relatively quickly and lives the life of a warrior, so I'm just going to assume he lives nowhere :p.

When it comes to fan art the only pet peeve I have is when fan art makes things too, erm, um, disturbing I guess. And by disturbing, I mean not in the bloody eyeball way/dark backstory way, I mean the... other way that I'd prefer not to talk about.

After noticing that Bandana Dee had the second highest amount of 1's in the top 20 of Source gaming's poll I felt I had to ask this, so, uh, I apologize in advance for the massive tone shift and for that massive text wall again. Sorry.

Where does all that hatred for Bandana Waddle Dee actually stem from? I used to think it was just because people thought he was unimportant to the Kirby series, but, I've noticed over time that it isn't often people ever mention a alternative to him, or point to other characters in the Kirby series when they do so. It doesn't really make sense, if your going to point out a character is unimportant, surely you'd try pointing out a more important one in their own series to prove your point? I believe that's either because A. they don't know of any alternatives, B. don't think anyone's a suitable alternative or C. they simply dislike the idea of additional Kirby representation, and would rather avoid bringing up another character from the same series. Is the reason for all this hatred towards for Bandana Dee that he's perceived as a generic enemy and/or unimportant, is it because he's a Kirby character, or something else entirely?

And if it's because he's from Kirby (which I'm starting to believe is the reason), then why? Is it because said person doesn't know enough about/are close enough to the series to relate to it, that they feel it already has enough, that it's too cutesy(Zero says hi), or, possibly because it's a threat to someone else from another series's inclusion? And regardless of which of those reasons is the one, what could I do to help fix the problem?

Sorry for the sappy tone, and really sorry for assuming the main reason people dislike him is just because he's from Kirby, but, after all I've seen, I wholeheartedly believe that's the reason right there. I really cannot believe the main reason for his hate to just be people assuming he's unimportant, when it takes approximately just two minutes of research to find the exact opposite is true, it doesn't make sense at all to me, what makes more sense to me is people just using that as a excuse to justify their own hatred of the character, even if they don't really believe in the excuse themselves. I don't want to believe that's the reason, but that's what it seems like to me right now. If you think it's not the reason, feel free to tell me how wrong I am about that being the main reason, in fact, I really want to be proven wrong right now, it would be a lot better if that's not the main reason.

Regardless of what the reason is, I really want to find a way to help fix Bandana Dee's reputation and get rid of the main problems facing him, but, I can't really think of any ways to, would anyone happen to have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Where Meta Knight lives? I don't know where he lives, but I don't think he even needs a home, the man can fly to get whatever he wants relatively quickly and lives the life of a warrior, so I'm just going to assume he lives nowhere :p.

When it comes to fan art the only pet peeve I have is when fan art makes things too, erm, um, disturbing I guess. And by disturbing, I mean not in the bloody eyeball way/dark backstory way, I mean the... other way that I'd prefer not to talk about.

After noticing that Bandana Dee had the second highest amount of 1's in the top 20 of Source gaming's poll I felt I had to ask this, so, uh, I apologize in advance for the massive tone shift and for that massive text wall again. Sorry.

Where does all that hatred for Bandana Waddle Dee actually stem from? I used to think it was just because people thought he was unimportant to the Kirby series, but, I've noticed over time that it isn't often people ever mention a alternative to him, or point to other characters in the Kirby series when they do so. It doesn't really make sense, if your going to point out a character is unimportant, surely you'd try pointing out a more important one in their own series to prove your point? I believe that's either because A. they don't know of any alternatives, B. don't think anyone's a suitable alternative or C. they simply dislike the idea of additional Kirby representation, and would rather avoid bringing up another character from the same series. Is the reason for all this hatred towards for Bandana Dee that he's perceived as a generic enemy and/or unimportant, is it because he's a Kirby character, or something else entirely?

And if it's because he's from Kirby (which I'm starting to believe is the reason), then why? Is it because said person doesn't know enough about/are close enough to the series to relate to it, that they feel it already has enough, that it's too cutesy(Zero says hi), or, possibly because it's a threat to someone else from another series's inclusion? And regardless of which of those reasons is the one, what could I do to help fix the problem?

Sorry for the sappy tone, and really sorry for assuming the main reason people dislike him is just because he's from Kirby, but, after all I've seen, I wholeheartedly believe that's the reason right there. I really cannot believe the main reason for his hate to just be people assuming he's unimportant, when it takes approximately just two minutes of research to find the exact opposite is true, it doesn't make sense at all to me, what makes more sense to me is people just using that as a excuse to justify their own hatred of the character, even if they don't really believe in the excuse themselves. I don't want to believe that's the reason, but that's what it seems like to me right now. If you think it's not the reason, feel free to tell me how wrong I am about that being the main reason, in fact, I really want to be proven wrong right now, it would be a lot better if that's not the main reason.

Regardless of what the reason is, I really want to find a way to help fix Bandana Dee's reputation and get rid of the main problems facing him, but, I can't really think of any ways to, would anyone happen to have any suggestions?
Luckily the 1s don't matter, there's no minus votes in ballot.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sorry for the sappy tone, and really sorry for assuming the main reason people dislike him is just because he's from Kirby, but, after all I've seen, I wholeheartedly believe that's the reason right there.
After just shy of twenty years of being a Kirby series fan, I unfortunately must concur with your findings. You're far from the only one who notices it, trust me.

I do have a suggestion, and I believe I may have made mention of the same thing at some point earlier in the thread...

There's no sense in worrying about others' differing tastes, or unnecessary hatred of a fictional character. The only thing you can do is keep showing and sharing your passion for what you enjoy, and it will have a ripple effect. I've seen this first-hand.

That is the best, and really the only, approach.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, if Bandana Dee just HAD to have a voice actor, who would it be? Like, in your heat of hearts, who? I have a few ideas, but I'll say this much: It should almost definitely be a girl voicing him. However, if it's a guy, he may need to be able to pull off a "teenage" voice well. I can't imagine B.D. going ANYWHERE older than that.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or are we very on topic compared to normally? It is probably due to the news drought related to Smash. Anyway, if BDee's Final Smash is the Waddle Tank, do you guys think he would call for it with his Triple Deluxe 'Hey, over here!' pose (you know, when he throws items to you)?

Is it just me, or are we very on topic compared to normally? It is probably due to the news drought related to Smash. Anyway, if BDee's Final Smash is the Waddle Tank, do you guys think he would call for it with his Triple Deluxe 'Hey, over here!' pose (you know, when he throws items to you)?
I can see it happening.

Hey guys, if Bandana Dee just HAD to have a voice actor, who would it be? Like, in your heat of hearts, who? I have a few ideas, but I'll say this much: It should almost definitely be a girl voicing him. However, if it's a guy, he may need to be able to pull off a "teenage" voice well. I can't imagine B.D. going ANYWHERE older than that.
Someone from the company that dubbed Digimon in my country. I mean, they really put emotion to the dub and translated everything correctly! :troll:

There was actually a scene where those poop-throwing Digimons (Numemon?) were escaping from a ship, and one of the characters said that they were attacking the ship... :facepalm: Luckily the company is now defunct.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036

Kirby is not a franchise that a lot of people think it's as big as it is, when did you hear a bunch of people talking on forums on how great rtld or td are, compared to something like the dkc or star fox. Maybe we're not loud enough or something. Also everything related to Kirby and smash causes people to say sakurai bias.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Kirby is not a franchise that a lot of people think it's as big as it is, when did you hear a bunch of people talking on forums on how great rtld or td are, compared to something like the dkc or star fox. Maybe we're not loud enough or something. Also everything related to Kirby and smash causes people to say sakurai bias.
I can't quibble here, but it is worth noting that DK is bigger than Kirby - Kirby is the series directly after it in terms of sales - and it gets an equal amount of flack and downplaying.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
At most, he should make his duck noises from Rainbow Curse.
What. Duck noises? If anyone has access to a voice clip or something, please direct it my way. Then again, I'm scared of what I'll hear.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Guys, look what I found...

It's a mockup for a Bandana Dee Amiibo!!!

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
For some reason this reminds me of how weird it all seemed when Mario got an official in-game voice for the first time. It took a lot of folks a lot of time to get used to it, myself included, as his most long-running speaking role prior to that had been in the officially-licensed cartoon shows (and an alarm clock, which used either one of these actors, or a soundalike to them), where he sounded very, very different. Even the movie's depiction was modelled after this.

I've always prefered the Mario Cartoon voices of the Mario cast over the official ones.

I seem to be the only guy here who likes gijinkas (Not really Kirby ones, but you get my drift).
Edit: Autocorrect is the root of all evil. It read gijinka as hijinks.

Edit 2:
King Dedede's voice in the English anime fits him perfectly in my opinion.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Uh, guys? I'm not being impatient here, but...well, all I asked was, if Bandana Dee HAD to have a voice actor/actress for the Kirby games/Smash, who's the first person to come to your mind? Don't get me wrong, I'd totally be OK with him being silent, but it was just out of curiosity, and so far, aside from @M.P., and even then...still...didn't get a clear idea of who M.P. meant. I don't think anyone's given much of a clear answer. Please, I ask that no one get offended by this; and if I did offend anyone, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm just gonna put this out there, Bandana Dee WOULD be a rare Amiibo, he'd probably be very pricy. But I don't care how much he costs, even if he costed 1000$ I'd buy him anyway.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Uh, guys? I'm not being impatient here, but...well, all I asked was, if Bandana Dee HAD to have a voice actor/actress for the Kirby games/Smash, who's the first person to come to your mind? Don't get me wrong, I'd totally be OK with him being silent, but it was just out of curiosity, and so far, aside from @M.P., and even then...still...didn't get a clear idea of who M.P. meant. I don't think anyone's given much of a clear answer. Please, I ask that no one get offended by this; and if I did offend anyone, I'm sorry.
I think that he could go with a high pipsqueak sound. Like the Waddle Dee's in Kirby Abridged. I NEED IT.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Charles Martinet was well-received on his performance as Mario ever since his first role in 64. And we don't talk about the so-called "movie."

Kirby's issue is that it doesn't have established voice actors. The only characters that have consistently had the same voice actors are Kirby (Makiko Ohmoto) and Meta Knight (Atsushi Kisaichi), so naturally anything regarding voice acting in Kirby is going to be met with skepticism. The characters in Kirby aren't really fit for talking, if you ask me, aside from Meta Knight. I mean, Dedede's most recent voice actor is Sakurai himself, but he can't speak English, so that's out of the picture. Kirby's character already can't speak, or at least has a hard time doing so, and the only other protagonist with a voice actor is Knuckle Joe, who was voiced by Alesia Gildewell in Brawl. As much as I would welcome voice acting in Kirby, the characters don't seem to be fit for it.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna put this out there, Bandana Dee WOULD be a rare Amiibo, he'd probably be very pricy. But I don't care how much he costs, even if he costed 1000$ I'd buy him anyway.
Since I'm in Australia, I'd probably find fifty in the first store I went to.

I literally found all of these one time when I went to preorder FE:Fates.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

You just casually found a Jigglypuff Amiibo while it took me almost half a year to get one. Wow. But on the bright side, once I get a Dr. Mario, my collection will be complete.

What I said was a joke: the company's voice actors were notoriously bad and I wouldn't want them to voice anyone ever again. I don't know the actual names of the company's voice actors.

I don't have any actual answer to your question, as can't think anyone whose voice would fit for Dee.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
hihi

DS/Wii/3DS and most likely Wii U use the .mo filetype (mobiclip) for their video encoding. Sadly, Kirby's Return to Dreamland (and Dream Collection) use this format... so I can't edit the videos. There's literally nothing out there on the mobiclip format, as the DS SDK is really closed when it comes to that format, along with it being nearly impossible, if not impossible to decode.

Due to this, I can't edit the cutscenes in RtDL. This means that the game has to focus on the original plot, so I don't know how to work with this. I wanted to do things like replace Landia's "ability" with the Star Rod, but now it wouldn't make sense as in the cutscene, Landia flies Kirby and Co. after Magolor.

wat2do cri

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That'd be weirder. Being able to eat but not talk? It's pretty much one in the same, because even though they are obviously an intelligent species, they reall don't have much in the way of ideas to express. There's only so much a creature who does nothing but eat and walk can be thinking about.
Or maybe Waddle Dees are the chattiest sumbitches in all of Pop Star, but they seem silent simply because Kirby can't understand them.
Eating and talking aren't necessarily connected. Take an insect (say ants), for example. They are intelligent enough but don't 'talk' in the traditional way.

He should be a silent character, at any rate.

---------------------

Most of the Dee dislike does indeed stem from people believing that the Kirby series has had its fill (which was true till 2011, but not now). And while he originated in Super Star, his rise to prominence is very recent and recency is quite often used to argue that a character is undeserving. The 'undeserving' tag has mostly faded in the light of Triple Deluxe and Rainbow Curse, thankfully. And many people don't take Kirby seriously, unfortunately, be it because how how light-hearted it appears on the surface or how relatively easy the games are.

Changing the mindset completely is impossible, even for a group of dedicated people. The only one who can do it effectively and in one fell swoop is Nintendo, either by giving BD his own game (unlikely yet) or adding him to Smash Bros.

:231:

D

Deleted member

I would like it if Bandana Dee could use a voice similar to Magolor.
hihi

DS/Wii/3DS and most likely Wii U use the .mo filetype (mobiclip) for their video encoding. Sadly, Kirby's Return to Dreamland (and Dream Collection) use this format... so I can't edit the videos. There's literally nothing out there on the mobiclip format, as the DS SDK is really closed when it comes to that format, along with it being nearly impossible, if not impossible to decode.

Due to this, I can't edit the cutscenes in RtDL. This means that the game has to focus on the original plot, so I don't know how to work with this. I wanted to do things like replace Landia's "ability" with the Star Rod, but now it wouldn't make sense as in the cutscene, Landia flies Kirby and Co. after Magolor.

wat2do cri
Can you remove them?
If you want your plot to fit maybe you could edit boss descriptions and remove the cutscenes.

How is it coming out so far?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I would like it if Bandana Dee could use a voice similar to Magolor.

Can you remove them?
If you want your plot to fit maybe you could edit boss descriptions and remove the cutscenes.

How is it coming out so far?
I'm almost certain removing the cutscenes would crash the game. If it can't find the files when they're needed, it doesn't know how to continue and most likely breaks.

I'm having trouble working with this because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaAPxazD1yg

It shows both Cookie Country and Halcandra in the cutscenes. Cookie Country is work-able because Vegetable Valley has similar looks, just without giant... rock things in the background, so that's fine. Halcandra is the problem, though. Eight worlds exist in both Kirby's Adventure and Return to Dreamland (FoD and AD count as worlds), so there isn't any extra room to mess with. It wouldn't really make sense if Kirby and Co. travel to another planet, that's a volcano thingy, but then somehow end up running around Rainbow Resort back in Popstar.

By the way, the credits don't count as a cutscene. The entire thing is just a really, really long level.

Overall, Vegetable Valley is coming along smooth, with Grape Garden already having worked out most of the details. I don't know how I can really do any mods involving the last three worlds for RtDL while Halcandra exists.

EDIT:

By the way, I'm really late on this, but answering some things:

Here's the textures for the images that float around in Another Dimension:

In case you can't tell, it's just the Return to Dreamland worlds. In order, it's Egg Engines, Cookie Country, Nutty Noon, White Wafers, Raisin Ruins, Cutscene Butthead & Onion Ocean. I wonder if any conspiracies can come out of this. Iunno why images of Popstar/Halcandra's worlds are floating around in Another Dimension, lol.

Also, another thing came up a while ago from the Adeliene supporter (or whatever her name is, painter girl from 64). They brought up that in the Goal Game of certain worlds, there's some odd background elements. I explored the models for them, it's just generic background elements.

In other news, I can load the proper shaders when looking at RtDL models now, yay! Before, mostly any graphical effect that was animated (basically every animated background element/attack element) was a really disturbing, ugly black texture. I'm happy they work now because, to be honest, I really couldn't look at the models without the shaders. They creeped me out. Also, Kirby finally has a face. His model has some weird thingy going on with his eyes so viewing the file usually made it so he had no face. That looked creepy.

edit: ok I found a solution which I'm satisfied with, will update tmrw because I'm super tired uggghhh

btw I'm gonna range and mobility test Bandana Dee in RtDL and compare it to Smash 4 to find out his stuff

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Whoa, that's alot of Amiibo! I've been looking for Pit everywhere. I swear these Amiibo shortages are just awful.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Masahiro Sakurai himself, reusing Dedede's Brawl clips. (jk) Actually, I don't really want him to have one, but if he had to it'd be the guy from this.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Eating and talking aren't necessarily connected. Take an insect (say ants), for example. They are intelligent enough but don't 'talk' in the traditional way.

He should be a silent character, at any rate.
Waddle Dees aren't insects, nor are they animals. The reason we assume ants don't talk is because never in history has an ant been recorded talking. We can't say the same for Waddle Dees because two notable members of their species (Bandanna Dee and Sailor Waddle Dee) have been clearly seen speaking what we know as English. I can't think of a logical reason why only two of a seemingly infinite number of Waddle Dees have been seen, and unless evolution just choose to be particularly kind to those two, I think it's a perfectly safe conclusion to come to that all Waddle Dees can talk.
I'm almost certain removing the cutscenes would crash the game. If it can't find the files when they're needed, it doesn't know how to continue and most likely breaks.

I'm having trouble working with this because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaAPxazD1yg

It shows both Cookie Country and Halcandra in the cutscenes. Cookie Country is work-able because Vegetable Valley has similar looks, just without giant... rock things in the background, so that's fine. Halcandra is the problem, though. Eight worlds exist in both Kirby's Adventure and Return to Dreamland (FoD and AD count as worlds), so there isn't any extra room to mess with. It wouldn't really make sense if Kirby and Co. travel to another planet, that's a volcano thingy, but then somehow end up running around Rainbow Resort back in Popstar.

By the way, the credits don't count as a cutscene. The entire thing is just a really, really long level.

Overall, Vegetable Valley is coming along smooth, with Grape Garden already having worked out most of the details. I don't know how I can really do any mods involving the last three worlds for RtDL while Halcandra exists.

EDIT:

By the way, I'm really late on this, but answering some things:

Here's the textures for the images that float around in Another Dimension:

In case you can't tell, it's just the Return to Dreamland worlds. In order, it's Egg Engines, Cookie Country, Nutty Noon, White Wafers, Raisin Ruins, Cutscene Butthead & Onion Ocean. I wonder if any conspiracies can come out of this. Iunno why images of Popstar/Halcandra's worlds are floating around in Another Dimension, lol.

Also, another thing came up a while ago from the Adeliene supporter (or whatever her name is, painter girl from 64). They brought up that in the Goal Game of certain worlds, there's some odd background elements. I explored the models for them, it's just generic background elements.

In other news, I can load the proper shaders when looking at RtDL models now, yay! Before, mostly any graphical effect that was animated (basically every animated background element/attack element) was a really disturbing, ugly black texture. I'm happy they work now because, to be honest, I really couldn't look at the models without the shaders. They creeped me out. Also, Kirby finally has a face. His model has some weird thingy going on with his eyes so viewing the file usually made it so he had no face. That looked creepy.

edit: ok I found a solution which I'm satisfied with, will update tmrw because I'm super tired uggghhh

btw I'm gonna range and mobility test Bandana Dee in RtDL and compare it to Smash 4 to find out his stuff
Hold up, are you not a mod anymore?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nothing comes to mind, sorry. I can easily "hear" him and Sailor Waddle Dee in my imagination, but I know of no voice actors who fit them.

Charles Martinet was well-received on his performance as Mario ever since his first role in 64. And we don't talk about the so-called "movie."
Indeed he was, and even before that, with his interactive trade-show display appearances, the ad-libbing for which landed him the role in Super Mario 64 in the first place. ;)

At the same time, prior to that, all of Mario's official speaking roles were carried out with the angle of a second-generation Italian-American from Brooklyn, as was in the official licensing notes of the time (since he ended up named after a real such person, this of course made perfect sense :laugh:). If you were a video games enthusiast at the time, you already know how widespread the confusion over the in-game choice being falsetto actually was. :laugh:

Kirby's issue is that it doesn't have established voice actors. The only characters that have consistently had the same voice actors are Kirby (Makiko Ohmoto) and Meta Knight (Atsushi Kisaichi), so naturally anything regarding voice acting in Kirby is going to be met with skepticism. The characters in Kirby aren't really fit for talking, if you ask me, aside from Meta Knight. I mean, Dedede's most recent voice actor is Sakurai himself, but he can't speak English, so that's out of the picture. Kirby's character already can't speak, or at least has a hard time doing so, and the only other protagonist with a voice actor is Knuckle Joe, who was voiced by Alesia Gildewell in Brawl. As much as I would welcome voice acting in Kirby, the characters don't seem to be fit for it.
They're not really designed around speaking much, you're right.

Just to add, though, Dedede has always had two consistent voice-actors - Masahiro Sakurai himself, who first voiced him in Kirby 64, and current Kirby series director Shinya Kumazaki, who has voiced Dedede since Sakurai left HAL. Obviously, when Sakurai works with Dedede in Smash, he reprises the role.

You just casually found a Jigglypuff Amiibo while it took me almost half a year to get one. Wow. But on the bright side, once I get a Dr. Mario, my collection will be complete.
You guys are tempting me to post pics of my entire Amiibo collection... :laugh:

Also, Kirby finally has a face. His model has some weird thingy going on with his eyes so viewing the file usually made it so he had no face. That looked creepy.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land and Kirby Triple Deluxe are both the direct descendants, structure-wise, of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. That game also has weird things going on with Kirby's model ending up with no face (specifically, if it's incorrectly emulated). For some reason, this coincidental oddity really made my day. I have no idea why. :laugh:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Waddle Dees aren't insects, nor are they animals. The reason we assume ants don't talk is because never in history has an ant been recorded talking. We can't say the same for Waddle Dees because two notable members of their species (Bandanna Dee and Sailor Waddle Dee) have been clearly seen speaking what we know as English. I can't think of a logical reason why only two of a seemingly infinite number of Waddle Dees have been seen, and unless evolution just choose to be particularly kind to those two, I think it's a perfectly safe conclusion to come to that all Waddle Dees can talk.
Oh, the KSSU ones? Hmm, Maybe it's a Garfield sort of deal. They don't speak through their mouths
Or maybe Dedede's such an indifferent ruler that other Waddle Dees were never taught language.

What am I even saying

Hold up, are you not a mod anymore?
He's not been a mod since around the time the site got upgraded, actually.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You guys are tempting me to post pics of my entire Amiibo collection... :laugh:
To be fair, my "collection" consists of only the Amiibo that I actually want, those being Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, Jigglypuff, and Roy when he comes out. Possibly Wolf and Bandanna Dee.
Oh, the KSSU ones? Hmm, Maybe it's a Garfield sort of deal. They don't speak through their mouths
Or maybe Dedede's such an indifferent ruler that other Waddle Dees were never taught language.

What am I even saying

Well, I imagine that would be kind of hard considering they don't have mouths. I won't pretend to know HOW they talk, but I just know that they can. If they eat using food osmosis, maybe they talk using word diffusion.
He's not been a mod since around the time the site got upgraded, actually.

Huh. Weird.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, my "collection" consists of only the Amiibo that I actually want, those being Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, Jigglypuff, and Roy when he comes out. Possibly Wolf and Bandanna Dee.
So does mine. Even with that condition, it's still grown frighteningly huge. Before long, they'll be pulling off that whole Skynet thing, I swear! :laugh:

EDIT: Ok, I may as well go for it. Here they are, complete with all of their in-game appearances;

It doesn't even end here! :crazy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom