• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but everyone celebrated Kirby's 23rd birthday at the end of July, even though Dream Land came out in Japan on April 27th '92.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I tend to celebrate anniversaries on their correct date, myself. Why mark something on the completely wrong day? :laugh: (EDIT: Or, in some extreme cases, in the completely wrong year. That's always pretty funny to see.)

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's probably just me, but Down Smash takes a read to land due to it's slow startup and is punishable on block. Up Throw is fairly weak for a kill throw. Forward Air is rather good though, even if it can be difficult to land.
Mewtwo has the strongest up throw in the game with Rage, and down smash has little ending lag.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yeah, I'm very glad Bandana Dee is Top 3 in Japan.
But I don't understand it, he is just a Waddle Dee and Kirby has enough reps!!!!1!!! lol

Also, I noticed something... bad.
https://twitter.com/JordanSweeto?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

That... guy... is telling everybody to vote for Krystal in all the polls, including the official ballot, he has A LOT of followers... I think that's a little unfair, we should vote in the ballot again... just in case, I doubt Krystal is likely, but still.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Does anyone think BDee has a relative/friend called Bandana Doo? Just a thought as in Kirby's Avalanche, although not canon, the Waddles in that game were cousins I think.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I tend to celebrate anniversaries on their correct date, myself. Why mark something on the completely wrong day? :laugh: (EDIT: Or, in some extreme cases, in the completely wrong year. That's always pretty funny to see.)
Unless they had external contacts, people in the EU (i.e, you and me) probably didn't know about BDee until 1997. And even then, he was in an easily missed role.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone think BDee has a relative/friend called Bandana Doo? Just a thought as in Kirby's Avalanche, although not canon, the Waddles in that game were cousins I think.
If he does, the guy would wreck his bandana with that eye-beam of his. :laugh:

Unless they had external contacts, people in the EU (i.e, you and me) probably didn't know about BDee until 1997. And even then, he was in an easily missed role.
Actually, I followed Kirby Super Deluxe through the press from prior to its Japanese release (as I've said before, this is the origin of my habit of calling it by that name - the name-change to "Kirby's Fun Pak" came only a couple of weeks before the PAL release, and we were never set to get the US "Kirby Super Star" name). I've known from the start when the correct date was. :p You certainly didn't need external contacts to know such things, as they were very well-covered in the magazines of the time. This wasn't restricted to the unofficial ones who covered the import scene, either - even the official ones provided such information, which was a necessity to ensure customers that it really was coming to our region, since it proved that these things had already hit elsewhere.

That's neither here nor there, though - not knowing of something until later on still doesn't change when it actually debuted. For example, I didn't hear of Dragon Ball until 1996 - that doesn't change the fact that it debuted in 1984. ;)

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
But I don't understand it, he is just a Waddle Dee and Kirby has enough reps!!!!1!!! lol

That... guy... is telling everybody to vote for Krystal in all the polls, including the official ballot, he has A LOT of followers... I think that's a little unfair, we should vote in the ballot again... just in case, I doubt Krystal is likely, but still.
That guys has flooded a few polls earlier... I saw it happening live.

There goes the already-bad-impression of the Krystal fanbase for me.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That guys has flooded a few polls earlier... I saw it happening live.

There goes the already-bad-impression of the Krystal fanbase for me.
Implying this doesn't happen to any other fanbase out there of a very loved character.

One person shouldn't make a whole entire fanbase "bad", that's just plain selfish. Generalize is never a good thing, there WILL always be a bad apple in a bunch, everyone else shouldn't get judged for someone else wrong doings.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Implying this doesn't happen to any other fanbase out there of a very loved character.

One person shouldn't make a whole entire fanbase "bad", that's just plain selfish. Generalize is never a good thing, there WILL always be a bad apple in a bunch, everyone else shouldn't get judged for someone else wrong doings.
Truer words were never spoken.

Logo12

Smash Lord

I don't see other fanbase do it and have skewed polls or such. Honest.

And this is not the first time I see Krystal fans to some stuff like this. I don't think I need to say more about this, concerning you're an obvious Krystal fan, and these "selfish" opinions against yours won't go on very far without falling into a flamewar.

Generalization may be a thing, but the thing is I'm not just "hasty generalizing". I'm not talking about "All Krystal fans are bad" or such, but I have just experienced too much of these things happening around.

Oh, and before you yell hypocrisy, I do have similar opinion (in a different rate) with some other characters (sometimes Dee even, I admit), and that what's make me have a general negative opinion/impression for newcomers to begin with.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I direct you to the Sonic fanbase. Actually, no I don't. I wouldn't put that on you.
So it's Mario's real birthday! To celebrate, I'm going to go rektify some people on For Glory! Wish me luck.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
If he does, the guy would wreck his bandana with that eye-beam of his. :laugh:
Not necessarily: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2013/12/18/535-its-a-plunderful-life-part-3/
Actually, I followed Kirby Super Deluxe through the press from prior to its Japanese release (as I've said before, this is the origin of my habit of calling it by that name - the name-change to "Kirby's Fun Pak" came only a couple of weeks before the PAL release, and we were never set to get the US "Kirby Super Star" name). I've known from the start when the correct date was. :p You certainly didn't need external contacts to know such things, as they were very well-covered in the magazines of the time. This wasn't restricted to the unofficial ones who covered the import scene, either - even the official ones provided such information, which was a necessity to ensure customers that it really was coming to our region, since it proved that these things had already hit elsewhere.

That's neither here nor there, though - not knowing of something until later on still doesn't change when it actually debuted. For example, I didn't hear of Dragon Ball until 1996 - that doesn't change the fact that it debuted in 1984. ;)
Well, you're right. But to be fair, without research, how many non-Japanese people would know March was BDee's true birthday?
September just seems like the one most would know about and thus, celebrate. It's not really an error, just when most people would know.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I don't see other fanbase do it and have skewed polls or such. Honest.

And this is not the first time I see Krystal fans to some stuff like this. I don't think I need to say more about this, concerning you're an obvious Krystal fan, and these "selfish" opinions against yours won't go on very far without falling into a flamewar.

Generalization may be a thing, but the thing is I'm not just "hasty generalizing". I'm not talking about "All Krystal fans are bad" or such, but I have just experienced too much of these things happening around.

Oh, and before you yell hypocrisy, I do have similar opinion (in a different rate) with some other characters (sometimes Dee even, I admit), and that what's make me have a general negative opinion/impression for newcomers to begin with.
Well, I don't disagree with what you are saying to a tee, but it still just isn't right to claim one person or 2 or 3 as the whole entirety of a fanbase, whether it be Krystal's, BDee's, Shantae's, Ridley's, etc. I get it when something ill natured happens it can make one have a bad experience with a character or fans of said character and all, but really, everyone doesn't deserve to be judge because of one person, when the other fans most likely wouldn't ever do something to that nature. And again, this being just a video game, it shouldn't be taken that seriously. Everyone will get a chance, and no one should make others feel bad for one person's falsities.

And also, you shouldn't assume things either, as I'm not a Krystal fan, I never played a single Starfox game to this day, but despite this, I respect every persons wants and needs and don't judge what anyone does for the whole community, cuz I believe that's very unfair and bias.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Well, you're right. But to be fair, without research, how many non-Japanese people would know March was BDee's true birthday?
September just seems like the one most would know about and thus, celebrate. It's not really an error, just when most people would know.
Well, technically speaking, it is still an error because it's still incorrect - the correct information is even more readily available in this day and age than it was at the time (and it wasn't very difficult to find at the time, anyway). ;)

It's kind of like all of those folks misunderstanding what the current Mario-related anniversary is, and thinking that it's the 30th anniversary of his debut, when that was actually 34 years ago in July and this milestone relates to a very particular historically-significant game.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

I wouldn't really worry much, Krystal is not going to beat Wolf, and I severely doubt there's going to be two DLC characters from any one franchise. It's really sad though that people would resort to skewing polls and ruin the whole point of the ballot.

Which reminds me, would it be "cheating" if I voted for numerous characters, but not the same one multiple times? I didn't vote any characters other than Dark Matter yet, but I really want to lend Bandana Dee my support, but I'm unsure if it's morally acceptable? I have a deep dislike of cheating and breaking moral code, so if it is I can't, but if it's acceptable I'll be able to get myself to vote for him without fearing regret of cheating.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Which reminds me, would it be "cheating" if I voted for numerous characters, but not the same one multiple times? I didn't vote any characters other than Dark Matter yet, but I really want to lend Bandana Dee my support, but I'm unsure if it's morally acceptable? I have a deep dislike of cheating and breaking moral code, so if it is I can't, but if it's acceptable I'll be able to get myself to vote for him without fearing regret of cheating.
Someone has tested how many times one person can vote, and it appears to have been set up to account for families sharing one computer so that differing votes within a household can still be collected. However, the ballot form asks that you vote once per person.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Well, I don't disagree with what you are saying to a tee, but it still just isn't right to claim one person or 2 or 3 as the whole entirety of a fanbase, whether it be Krystal's, BDee's, Shantae's, Ridley's, etc. I get it when something ill natured happens it can make one have a bad experience with a character or fans of said character and all, but really, everyone doesn't deserves to be judge because of one person, when the other fans most likely wouldn't ever do something to that nature. And again, this being just a video game, it shouldn't be taken that seriously. Everyone will get a change, and no one to should make others feel bad for one person's facilities.

And also, you shouldn't assume things either, as I'm not a Krystal fan, I never played a single Starfox game to this day, but despite this, I respect every person's wants and needs and don't judge what anyone does for the whole community, cuz I believe that's very unfair and bias.
Wait, I saw your avatar wrong... O_o So purple, so blue... K Sorry for that part

Aaaaand I never outright "claimed" a fanbase being bad or such, I only said "I've met too many bad experience when it comes to a certain fanbase". Personal experience only, nothing else.

Also one thing, I really don't get why everyone just throws a "this is just a video game" at me whenever I talk. If this is the case why are there a whole forum board for the game, with people making countless video picture text campaigns, talk the sh*t out of other characters and compare them and such, making polls and researches, analysis on whoever is more popular or not, finding and sharing techs and competitive play, but when I'm to express my opinion, I'm told to take stuff less seriously.

After this I should be washing my eyes before I look at any more avatars....

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
I direct you to the Sonic fanbase. Actually, no I don't. I wouldn't put that on you.
So it's Mario's real birthday! To celebrate, I'm going to go rektify some people on For Glory! Wish me luck.
not all of that fanbase is bad you know.......
IT'S MARIO BIRTHDAY I COMPETELY FORGOT THANK MARIO METEOR!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I wouldn't really worry much, Krystal is not going to beat Wolf, and I severely doubt there's going to be two DLC characters from any one franchise.
I don't know, that sounds like some of the hundreds of fan-made rules that never work, I honestly can see both K.Rool and Dixie as DLC, or Bandana Dee and Magolor (YEEES! okno, that's just my bias).
But yeah, it's... possible.

Logo12

Smash Lord
I don't know, that sounds like some of the hundreds of fan-made rules that never work, I honestly can see both K.Rool and Dixie as DLC, or Bandana Dee and Magolor (YEEES! okno, that's just my bias).
Well, possible, but not quite likely.

According to RTC, the chance of that happening is lower than that of Ivysaur happening. So go figure.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well, possible, but not quite likely.

According to RTC, the chance of that happening is lower than that of Ivysaur happening. So go figure.
Yeah, the RTC thread is chock-full of bull****. I wouldn't value their word too much.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Someone has tested how many times one person can vote, and it appears to have been set up to account for families sharing one computer so that differing votes within a household can still be collected. However, the ballot form asks that you vote once per person.
Now that I know they only want one vote per person, I'll make sure to respect their wishes, as much as I want to vote for Bandana Dee. Thank you for the info though :)!

I don't know, that sounds like some of the hundreds of fan-made rules that never work, I honestly can see both K.Rool and Dixie as DLC, or
Bandana Dee and Magolor (YEEES! okno, that's just my bias) ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) You have no idea how much I want that.
Trust me, I'm personally hoping we get Magolor and Bandana Dee, and although you are right, it's certainly possible, fanmade rules can be untrue anyway, for example Original twelve member Ness was almost cut in Melee, and Puff nearly got the axe in brawl, plus Ryu broke the whole no second third party rep from same company thingy. It's just that no matter how hard I look, I just can't see it happening, I really hope I'm wrong though. If a second DLC rep for any franchise gets in, please tag me and tell me I'm a giant idiot, that way I'll know if my dreams can come true :p.

Also, I can't help but notice that this new poll seems to confirm that Bandana Dee and Isaac are apparently twins. One's super popular in the west and the other super popular in Japan, and they both have decent support overseas but not nearly as much as their home support. They also are both randomly called generic based solely on their appearances "Generic Animu swordsman" and "Generic Mook" and apparently no one ever does research on them so they are constantly being underestimated, but both have vigilant fanbases that will usually politely correct a misconception if they see one. At this point I'm half expecting Isaac's secret real name to be Bandana Doo.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Also, I can't help but notice that this new poll seems to confirm that Bandana Dee and Isaac are apparently twins. One's super popular in the west and the other super popular in Japan, and they both have decent support overseas but not nearly as much as their home support. They also are both randomly called generic based solely on their appearances "Generic Animu swordsman" and "Generic Mook" and apparently no one ever does research on them so they are constantly being underestimated, but both have vigilant fanbases that will usually politely correct a misconception if they see one. At this point I'm half expecting Isaac's secret real name to be Bandana Doo.
The difference is that the Kirby franchise is not niche and dead at the moment, it's actually the opposite.
But yeah, the other things are true.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what is your favourite generic enemy that is not some form of Waddle Dee. Waddle Doo is allowed. I will go for the Bllippers. They look somewhat like a Fish Kirby.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Hey guys, what is your favourite generic enemy that is not some form of Waddle Dee. Waddle Doo is allowed. I will go for the Bllippers. They look somewhat like a Fish Kirby.
Unless you mean an enemy that doesn't give an ability, I've gotta go for Bio-Spark. If you mean a no-ability enemy, then Bouncy.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have a question: Why are people fine with Star Fox getting four reps, but not :4kirby:?
I am definitely not fine with Star Fox getting four reps :p
i hope some of the old characters get noticed again.
the whole "let's make a new character for this game but dump them later and never use them for anything but cameos" thing always angers me.
Agreed. I usually prefer old characters getting development over new characters being introduced. It is what I wish Game Freak would do with Pokémon. Instead of introducing 100 new Pokémon every generation, why not develop the old ones instead...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Because the roster of the game is already massive ^^ There's a limit for how many characters a competitive fighting can have without becoming an unbalanced mess, unfortunately. And even if many of us don't care about the balance of the game, it is something important for many other players and Nintendo is showing that they care about it by patching the game frequently... So if a franchise is to get a fourth rep, I think it should be Kirby series, since it is more popular, it sells better, the games are a lot better (personal opinion of course, but still) and Kirby characters are adorable and mascot-ish, which is something that I think Smash needs after the many human-like/anime-esque characters we got in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
so the Japan results of the Source Gaming poll was released. idk if you saw it, but BDee is the 2nd most wanted newcomer and Magolor was the 4th most wanted. I think a Kirby newcomer is coming. Im now 80% sure we're getting BDee

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Because the roster of the game is already massive ^^ There's a limit for how many characters a competitive fighting can have without becoming an unbalanced mess, unfortunately. And even if many of us don't care about the balance of the game, it is something important for many other players and Nintendo is showing that they care about it by patching the game frequently... So if a franchise is to get a fourth rep, I think it should be Kirby series, since it is more popular, it sells better, the games are a lot better (personal opinion of course, but still) and Kirby characters are adorable and mascot-ish, which is something that I think Smash needs after the many human-like/anime-esque characters we got in Smash 4.
Well, i didn't expect a rebuttal like this... but sure, whatever floats your boat. I don't see this being a big deal with other fighter like games having even more characters then this game and all, but whatever, it is what it is.

Top Bottom