• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Furret24

Smash Master
They say that Cell Phone was what killed the dinosaurs, you know.
@ Furret24 Furret24 Mewtwo is definitely a glass cannon.
Mewtwo is doesn't do enough damage or knockback to be a glass cannon. He also has too much lag. He's about as much of a glass cannon as Game and Watch, who is just glass.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
:4jigglypuff:
My point stands.
Ehh.. I wouldn't really consider Jiggly a glass cannon considering she is fine at close range and lack of kill moves besides Rest and back air (smashes are too weak and laggy) . If anything, :4mewtwo:is a much better example of the glass cannon. Horrible execution but glass cannon.

I honestly do not want BD to be a glass cannon but rather a more centered fencer and spacer akin Marth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A glass cannon to me as a character that hits hard, but dies very easily. To me, that would be the Ice Climbers. They can get insane damage and 0-to-death you in Melee and Brawl. However, if you separate the climbers from each other, the lead Ice Climber becomes useless as their KO power and recovery becomes drastically worse.

Though, I think that we should go back to Bandana Dee and perhaps general Kirby discussion.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:4jigglypuff:
My point stands.
Jigglypuff has the glass down, but not the cannon. Back air is literally her only reliable KO move. Her smash attacks are useless, Rest is self-explanatory, and neutral air needs to be fresh and then it still only KOs at very high percents. She really has nothing in the way of "cannon." More like, Glass Shotgun.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I put the Source Gaming Individual Character Poll (SGICP, i hate typing) collected result into another perspective, and here's something I get:

Or if it isn't obvious already, Bandana Dee gets quite an amount of negative votes, and without counting them we will pretty much actually higher on the list. :/

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
...I...I have no idea who they are... orz

no kil plz
Drawcia is the antagonist in Canvas Curse, Paintra is a boss in Triple Deluxe and Claycia is the antagonist in Rainbow Curse. ^^

Anyways, out of these, I like Drawcia the most.

Edit: Here is my question: Did you girls and guys like the Squeak Squad? Not the game, but the squad itself.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Drawcia is the antagonist in Canvas Curse, Paintra is a boss in Triple Deluxe and Claycia is the antagonist in Rainbow Curse. ^^

Edit: Here is my question: Did you girls and guys like the Squeak Squad? Not the game, but the squad itself.
I didn't play Squeak Squad or Mass Attack, so I can't exactly say. Their theme is pretty good though.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Here is my question: Did you girls and guys like the Squeak Squad? Not the game, but the squad itself.
To be honest, I found them very underwhelming antagonists, although I do like the characters individually, they just didn't really work well as antagonists, they weren't exactly threatening, and Daroach was really the only decently difficult one. On the other hand, the characters themselves are pretty interesting and I like them, I just feel like they didn't really suit the role they got, you know what I mean?

Furret24

Smash Master
Jigglypuff has the glass down, but not the cannon. Back air is literally her only reliable KO move. Her smash attacks are useless, Rest is self-explanatory, and neutral air needs to be fresh and then it still only KOs at very high percents. She really has nothing in the way of "cannon." More like, Glass Shotgun.
I think the problem with all of the "glass cannons" in this game are the fact that they have issues killing and are generally too laggy. They get the glass down, but fail in the "cannon" part.

Mewtwo's only reliable KO options are Up Smash and Shadow Ball since his other strong attacks are either slow or have bad hitboxes (a general issue for him). Game and Watch's only reliable KO options are Forward and Down Tilt. I'm the fence with his smash attacks, since, while they either have bad range or huge sourspots, on top of being generally slow, can be rather powerful.

Sorry for going on a tangent there.

I should really start playing Dedede's Drum Dash more often.
They say that Cell Phone was what killed the dinosaurs, you know.
@ Furret24 Furret24 Mewtwo is definitely a glass cannon.
It didn't kill the dinosaurs, it murdered every single one of them one by one within seconds.
Hey guys, out of Drawcia, Paintra, and Claycia which is your favourite.
I like Claycia, her theme is amazing. Not saying Drawcia's was, but Claycia is superior in my opinion.
Though, I do feel sorry for Paintra, her sister was killed. She tried to stop :4kirby:, but she failed. As the battle continues her laughter becomes more and more wicked losing her sanity. It said on the pause screen, that she was separated by Drawcia by birth. Was Adeleine the one that created them? Did she know how dangerous these two could be?

I like the Squad, mostly Daroach. Dark Daroach should have been the final boss of Squeak Squad, he was actually hard.
Plus, look at him.

I have a question: Why are people fine with Star Fox getting four reps, but not :4kirby:?

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I have a question: Why are people fine with Star Fox getting four reps, but not :4kirby:?
People are fine with Wolf because he was an unjust cut (maybe). Although he was similar to Fox, so was Falco, but he wasn't cut. For Krystal, I'm not sure. I don't know how many people do want her in. but I know a lot do. As for the Kirby series, it could be a mix of Sakurai bias, and what happened last time Kirby newcomers were introduced (MK OP, Dedede chain thrower extrordinaire).

Does anyone notice how in every smash game with Kirby newcomers so far, said newcomers are High/Top tier? Just see 64 Kirby and Brawl D3 and MK. Then they get nerfed hard going into the next game (Melee Kirby. Enough said). MK was reasonably nerfed but is now considered high tier after some rebuffs.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I'm indifferent towards everyone of them except Daroach, who's one of my favorite characters in the series, and who I wish would appear more.
I think the problem with all of the "glass cannons" in this game are the fact that they have issues killing and are generally too laggy. They get the glass down, but fail in the "cannon" part.

Mewtwo's only reliable KO options are Up Smash and Shadow Ball since his other strong attacks are either slow or have bad hitboxes (a general issue for him). Game and Watch's only reliable KO options are Forward and Down Tilt. I'm the fence with his smash attacks, since, while they either have bad range or huge sourspots, on top of being generally slow, can be rather powerful.

Sorry for going on a tangent there.
Down smash, up throw, and forward air are rather reliable.
I didn't play Squeak Squad or Mass Attack, so I can't exactly say. Their theme is pretty good though.
You need to play Squeak Squad immediately. That game is amazing.
Now my turn for a question: What's your favorite boss battle in the series? I would have to say either Magolor Soul or Dark Daroach, because they're actually hard, which is rare.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played their game, so I can't say; I might get it some time in the future.
From what I've heard from their theme, it's pretty decent... but I hate the Brawl rendition of it.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
You need to play Squeak Squad immediately. That game is amazing.
I couldn't find a copy of Super Star Ultra. That game is seven years old. How could I find a nine year old game? I also don't have a Wii U, so VC is out of the question. I have an emulator, but I tried SSU on that, and it was quite laggy, and the controls are off putting. Said emulator is how I played Mirror, but I feel that tainted the game due to awkward controls.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hey guys, out of Drawcia, Paintra, and Claycia which is your favourite.
I think it's got to be Paintra. I found that to be a really fun boss battle.

Here is my question: Did you girls and guys like the Squeak Squad? Not the game, but the squad itself.
I'm indifferent about them, but this is because I only picked up their game recently, and haven't had the time to get very far with it yet, so they have yet to make an impression on me.

I should really start playing Dedede's Drum Dash more often.
You should. Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe is even better, though, which you'll of course know if you already have it. :laugh:

It's very likely partly because of an incorrect perception of how big these series are, coupled with the simple fact of individual taste.

As far as perception of the two series goes, an awful lot of people incorrectly believe that Kirby is unpopular, and the downplaying of the series by various outlets is so widespread that even a lot of Kirby fans wrongly believe it. Likewise, a lot of people think that Star Fox is a lot bigger than it really is, because the same outlets that downplay Kirby, play up Star Fox and other series like it. I'm a fan of both, and at one point, I was fooled by this myself - it was quite eye-opening to ultimately learn the facts.

I couldn't find a copy of Super Star Ultra. That game is seven years old. How could I find a nine year old game? I also don't have a Wii U, so VC is out of the question. I have an emulator, but I tried SSU on that, and it was quite laggy, and the controls are off putting. Said emulator is how I played Mirror, but I feel that tainted the game due to awkward controls.
Squeak Squad did at least have a higher production run. I had no difficulty finding a genuine EU copy of it when I tracked mine down recently (conversely, with Super Star Ultra, I had to track down a genuine one from the US, instead, as the US production run seems to have been larger). Try looking for it under its unnecessarily-renamed European title, "Kirby Mouse Attack". :laugh:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm just going to say this.
Star Fox has always been a HEAVILY western series. It's support in the east is actually fairly negligible.
The last two titles released (64 DS & Command) combined did worse than FE:Awakening, the massive title for what had been historically known as a niche series.
And, let's be honest, the popularity of Star Fox as a series, I feel, was at the highest with 64.
We'll see how Zero fairs for the series, but Kirby's always been one of Nintendo's Big 4 (the only "spiked" rival was during the SNES when DKC dominated the system more than Super Star could).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did you girls and guys like the Squeak Squad? Not the game, but the squad itself.
i hope some of the old characters get noticed again.
the whole "let's make a new character for this game but dump them later and never use them for anything but cameos" thing always angers me.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
the whole "let's make a new character for this game but dump them later and never use them for anything but cameos" thing always angers me.
Sometimes not even that (pretty much any named character from the Dark Matter Trilogy not named Kirby, King Dedede or the Supporting Waddle Dee if you believe he is BDee)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sometimes not even that (pretty much any named character from the Dark Matter Trilogy not named Kirby, King Dedede or the Supporting Waddle Dee if you believe he is BDee)
You know, on this note, specifically talking about Adeleine, I can't help but wonder if the timing of her appearances, particularly that in Kirby 64, simply worked out badly for her.

Kirby 64 was released in 2000 - the same year that the Kirby anime pilot short was made, and therefore also when decisions were being made about the full-fledged production that would hit screens in Japan two years later.

Why would this affect Adeleine, though? Well, though the anime was specifically intended to be non-canon, a few small references to it were slipped into the Kirby games of the time in order to help establish and promote it. These things ranged from temporary visual overhauls (Castle Dedede, which has thankfully now been returned to its smart-looking old self :laugh:), to certain traits ("Kirby must not speak"). It's this latter one that's the problem - aside from how much Kirby speaks (Kirby was always a quiet type anyway, even before the anime, but it was accentuated far more there for numerous plot reasons), one of Sakurai's other edicts for the show was "No humans". Given the in-game nods that were going on at the time, it seems that this could be at least part of why Adeleine suddenly disappeared.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Down smash, up throw, and forward air are rather reliable.
It's probably just me, but Down Smash takes a read to land due to it's slow startup and is punishable on block. Up Throw is fairly weak for a kill throw. Forward Air is rather good though, even if it can be difficult to land.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
You know, on this note, specifically talking about Adeleine, I can't help but wonder if the timing of her appearances, particularly that in Kirby 64, simply worked out badly for her.

Kirby 64 was released in 2000 - the same year that the Kirby anime pilot short was made, and therefore also when decisions were being made about the full-fledged production that would hit screens in Japan two years later.

Why would this affect Adeleine, though? Well, though the anime was specifically intended to be non-canon, a few small references to it were slipped into the Kirby games of the time in order to help establish and promote it. These things ranged from temporary visual overhauls (Castle Dedede, which has thankfully now been returned to its smart-looking old self :laugh:), to certain traits ("Kirby must not speak"). It's this latter one that's the problem - aside from how much Kirby speaks (Kirby was always a quiet type anyway, even before the anime, but it was accentuated far more there for numerous plot reasons), one of Sakurai's other edicts for the show was "No humans". Given the in-game nods that were going on at the time, it seems that this could be at least part of why Adeleine suddenly disappeared.
I'm fairly certain that the only time Kirby spoke pre-anime was, oddly enough, Kirby 64. Even then, it was only a "Hi" before the start of each level. Oddly, Kirby spoke a lot more in the anime (even the Japanese version, I think) than the games (except Avalanche, but that ain't canon).

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Just going to share this here.

So, if we remove Roy since he's in, this makes BDee 3rd most wanted in Japan.
Maybe. You'd have to redistribute the 8.7% of votes. So, divide 8.7 by 18, then add the result to each character (I know it doesn't work like that, but lets assume). BDee would have 8.3/8.4% if this is done. If only we had an updated version of this.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm fairly certain that the only time Kirby spoke pre-anime was, oddly enough, Kirby 64. Even then, it was only a "Hi" before the start of each level. Oddly, Kirby spoke a lot more in the anime (even the Japanese version, I think) than the games (except Avalanche, but that ain't canon).
I don't just mean in terms of in-game sound effects there, but in terms of intelligence and the ability to do so, which was established early on (for example, all of the abilities in Kirby's Adventure are described via Kirby's monologues). Conversely, in the anime, Kirby makes only meaningless sounds, because anime-Kirby is meant to be much younger and is stated to be barely even able to think. ;)

Just going to share this here.

So, if we remove Roy since he's in, this makes BDee 3rd most wanted in Japan.
Well-spotted! This is really nice to see. I'll go and read the full article shortly. :)

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Especially when they add new characters who fit the same role.

I don't just mean in terms of in-game sound effects there, but in terms of intelligence and the ability to do so, which was established early on (for example, all of the abilities in Kirby's Adventure are described via Kirby's monologues). Conversely, in the anime, Kirby makes only meaningless sounds, because anime-Kirby is meant to be much younger and is stated to be barely even able to think. ;)

Well-spotted! This is really nice to see. I'll go and read the full article shortly. :)
It's not so nice for me since Pichu's only 20 and Rayman's nowhere to be seen. At least Wolf, Bandana Dee, and Paper Mario are there.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Unlike a lot of young kids, Kirby does have a sense of right and wrong. Well, as long as he knows the end result (he knew to save MK and the Mirror World, but didn't realise his cheesecake was really Dark Nebula).

D

Deleted member

Damn, you guys already posted SG's latest article.

As expected, i am usless for now.

Now if you excuse me, i have to withdraw coolly.

Last edited by a moderator:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It warms my heart to see King K. Rool at the top with Wolf and Bandana Dee, my other favorites, next in line for Japanese support. My hopes for K. Rool and B. Dee is higher than ever. It'll be a long wait until October 3rd.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
It warms my heart to see King K. Rool at the top with Wolf and Bandana Dee, my other favorites, next in line for Japanese support. My hopes for K. Rool and B. Dee is higher than ever. It'll be a long wait until October 3rd.
You're right. But on the plus side, September 20th is a week away. Bandana Dee will be 19 years old.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I'm glad Bandana Dee is doing really well in terms of Japan support. This seems like it would only help his chances, which is a very good thing!

Top Bottom