• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters
Hey guys, what year group do you all think B.D. should appear with in All-Star, if he becomes a DLC character? 1996, (Kirby Super Star) 2008, (Kirby Ultra Star:p) or 2011? (Kirby Returns to Dream Land)
1996 is probably the most likely one, but on the other hand he didn't become an actual character until 2008.... so either 1996 or 2008.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'd honestly beg to differ.

Zero Suit Samus appears in the 2000s when Samus appears in Metroid 1, in 1980s. I think if "Bandana Dee" as a concept character of the Kirby series was established when he became a character in Return to Dreamland, then I'd think he'd appeared in the 2010s instead. But that's just me.
The difference is that Samus in her Zero Suit first appeared in the 2000's, while Bandana Dee first appeared as a character in the mid 90's.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
The difference is that Samus in her Zero Suit first appeared in the 2000's, while Bandana Dee first appeared as a character in the mid 90's.
As a concept, yeah, as his own established character though... cuz by that logic, Zero Suit Samus really show have appeared along side Samus since "Zero Suit" was a thing in the 80s.

Again, it's just my opinion.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd pick 1996 too. He's recognisably different from other Waddle Dees in that game, and even if he didn't have a proper role until 2009.

Mr. Game & Watch wasn't an established character until Melee, but he's in the 1980's club.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what year group do you all think B.D. should appear with in All-Star, if he becomes a DLC character? 1996, (Kirby Super Star) 2008, (Kirby Ultra Star:p) or 2011? (Kirby Returns to Dream Land)
I wanna say 1996, but that area is pretty overcrowded already, with :4charizard::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4ganondorf::4sheik::4ness: and:4diddy:already there.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Have you seen the 2000's? It's much more crowded.
One more character isn't that much more crowded. However, me bringing up Sheik briefly does bring up a good point. Zelda has existed since the 80's but Sheik, although being Zelda, appears separate from her, in the late 90's. Like Samus/ZSS*. So, like ZSS who technically first appeared in Metroid, Sheik technically appeared in the 1st LoZ game. Anyway, I think BDee should be late 90's, as that was his 1st appearance as a character.

*I know ZSS appears in 2000's, but I was just mentioning the similarities.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
As a concept, yeah, as his own established character though... cuz by that logic, Zero Suit Samus really show have appeared along side Samus since "Zero Suit" was a thing in the 80s.

Again, it's just my opinion.
Iirc the zero suit refers to the blue clothes, not the lack of the orange suit. It's like saying (let's for a second pretend that bandana dee isn't in super star) that bandana dee will be counted in all star as introduced in super star because sailor dee introduce the idea of a prominent waddle dee (a weird example, but I hope you understand what I mean)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Definitely 1996. The fact that he became more established later on doesn't really matter, as those times weren't when he debuted.

As an aside I do wonder if the bandana was originally meant as a reference to the bandana that Sakurai reputedly used to wear.

There’s a rumor that that Sakurai used to wear a bandana while working. Itoi was disappointed that he didn’t wear it to the interview.
Though equally, if memory serves, it's also a cultural thing denoting a hard worker, which was probably the joke behind a Waddle Dee taking part in Megaton Punch originally. :laugh:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Well, since Bandana Dee has a similar shape to Kirby, they could model him off Kirby's, making him easier to make than other requested characters.
Or they could modify the already rigged/animated/etc. Waddle Dees from Smash Run, as another option. ;)

I never knew Roy was modeled off Robin. That's strange.
This very fact is also a thorough debunking of claims that the DLC will mostly be based off of Brawl's discarded characters ("The Forbidden Seven", was it?).

D

Deleted member

Well, since Bandana Dee has a similar shape to Kirby, they could model him off Kirby's, making him easier to make than other requested characters.
but a waddle dee has a model on dededes screen on wii u and smash run 3ds, i don't get why people say this.
it would make more sense for them to use that one add a spear then add a bandana.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
but a waddle dee has a model on dededes screen on wii u and smash run 3ds, i don't get why people say this.
it would make more sense for them to use that one add a spear then add a bandana.
The same victory screen Waddle Dee is in Smash 3DS as well. Between him and the Smash Run ones, almost all of the texture work and a lot of animation work is already done for them, and there wouldn't be as much new animation required as there would be for a fighter with no pre-existing usable assets, either. :)

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Out of all of the non joke highly requested characters, BDee seems the easiest to work with, what with Smash Run existing and Waddle Dees already being in the game. However, I do feel they would need to up res the character to fit with the others. The Smash Run/Victory Animation Dees do seem to have somewhat lackluster graphics compared to the playables.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Definitely 1996. The fact that he became more established later on doesn't really matter, as those times weren't when he debuted.

As an aside I do wonder if the bandana was originally meant as a reference to the bandana that Sakurai reputedly used to wear.

Though equally, if memory serves, it's also a cultural thing denoting a hard worker, which was probably the joke behind a Waddle Dee taking part in Megaton Punch originally. :laugh:
Well, he already works REALLY hard, helping his friend Kirby save the entire universe, multiple times over. Not to mention the fact that he's still employed in his hardest job ever yet............Oh, God...................working for King DDD...................The poor, little guy...Now THAT must be a REAL hard job. Let's hope he gets paid well enough, having to put up with him!:joyful:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Well, he already works REALLY hard, helping his friend Kirby save the entire universe, multiple times over. Not to mention the fact that he's still employed in his hardest job ever yet............Oh, God...................working for King DDD...................The poor, little guy...Now THAT must be a REAL hard job. Let's hope he gets paid well enough, having to put up with him!:joyful:
In all fairness, Dedede's a big softie and he seems to be quite well-liked by Dream Land's populace. Even when he's been an absolute git (see the first game), most of them still step out to defend him. :laugh:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
A reply to BD's chances for Smash.
Wat. :glare:
I don't take him seriously. Bandana Dee chances aren't small just because he doesn't know who he is. Sakurai might not like the character but he's still from a Sakurai game series which is one of Nintendo's top franchises. Nothing to be downplayed.

Just ignore him, the second he said, that Shrek has a better chance of Super Smash Bros. over King K. Rool, an Nintendo All Star.
I been ignoring him since. I'm surprised that everyone giving him attention.

Last edited:

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
I know, right?

I don't take him seriously. Bandana Dee chances aren't small just because he doesn't know who he is. Sakurai might not like the character but he's still from a Sakurai game series which is one of Nintendo's top franchises. Nothing to be downplayed.
Considering he thinks Shrek has better chances than K.Rool, and now he sends me that, I can conclude that he has no idea what he's doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's never too late too ignore him. Also he would've heard of Bandana Dee considering his involvement in the Smash community and the fact that he's associated with Unseen 64, also did I mention their second most viewed video is this?
Their's no doubt about it, he would've had to've heard of the character.

Last edited:
It's never too late too ignore him. Also he would've heard of Bandana Dee considering his involvement in the Smash community and the fact that he's associated with Unseen 64, also did I mention their second most viewed video is this?
Their's no doubt about it, he would've had to've heard of the character.
I remember that trailer, I can't believe the video is almost 9 years.
Also, did you know in that trailer? If you look closely, Kirby is using his Melee model.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You are just full of hate, aren't you? How do you keep finding these idiots, anyway?
Hey, we're on the same boat as him, the reaction to Shovel Knight being a possibility has been mostly negative not just on here, but across the internet, want proof, just look at the comments for the video.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hey, we're on the same boat as him, the reaction to Shovel Knight being a possibility has been mostly negative not just on here, but across the internet, want proof, just look at the comments.
I'm not saying that that's not a horrible idea, but it's like Ghostly has a radar that detects the nearest source of ignorance on the Internet.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
While we are on the subject, PSA for UK residents. The amiibo for the 'Retro 3-pack' and Mii characters are available for pre-order from Nintendo UK & GAME.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Where did you get the .... "odiima"s? :troll:
xD If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never noticed!

o_o hm...funny...I don't know why I thought for a second that "Odiima" sounded like "Ódiame" which literally means "Hate me" in spanish.

Top Bottom