• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Furret24

Smash Master
I really don't understand why K. Rool is so popular. A lot of his fan base is made of kids who haven't heard of him until the ballot was announced, and support him just because he's requested by others. -_- I know DK needs another rep, but srsly: What happened to Dixie or Cranky Kong?! CRANKY KONG WOULD MAKE MEH HYPE!!! I just believe that K.Rool shouldn't get in before Dixie and/or cranky. I'm fine with him, it's just that there are other options in the series besides a chubby croc with a cape to hide his butt.
Because it's the popular thing to do, much like what happened with the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and other popular requests to certain extents.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I really don't understand why K. Rool is so popular. A lot of his fan base is made of kids who haven't heard of him until the ballot was announced, and support him just because he's requested by others. -_- I know DK needs another rep, but srsly: What happened to Dixie or Cranky Kong?! CRANKY KONG WOULD MAKE MEH HYPE!!! I just believe that K.Rool shouldn't get in before Dixie and/or cranky. I'm fine with him, it's just that there are other options in the series besides a chubby croc with a cape to hide his butt.
I may not speak for the fanbase, but he's loved by many that has wanted him since Melee. They are not kids when this site has like 18-21 demographic, and well, there are fans of KKR that would like Dixie as well, and others to support DK as well. But no one should tell others what character they shouldn't ask for, if they love that character, NO ONE should just judge them for that.

People want DK series to have a villain. And KKR represents the Donkey Kong Country series as a whole. He "deserves" as much support and chance as a character as much as Dixie, or ANY wanted character, no matter how much you don't support them as much as others do.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You didn't just do this.

King K. Rool's moveset potential is off the charts compared to both Dixie and Cranky. King K. Rool is also arguable more important than Dixie or Cranky considering he is the main villain of the DKC franchise.

Things he can use include:
His crown
Cannonballs
His Blunderbuss that shoots 3 types of shots (Cannonball, Spiked Cannonball, Gas)
Heli pack
Electricity pods
Kremlings
Boxing gloves

You don't want to start this ****. If you want to argue about this, go to the K Rool thread. And no, his fanbase isn't just a lot of little kids, most people who support him grew up with his wacky persona. Don't randomly hate on other characters in other threads, it won't work out for you.

Back to Dee'z nuts.
Almonds to be exact.

Last edited:
Yay it's another argue-against-a-popular-character-and-get-completely-obliterated-by-their-supporters thing again.
Would you stay silent if someone said similar things about Wolf here?

I understand normal deetracting, but calling the character names that could be seen as insulting will just make the person look stupid. Insulting the supporters is even worse.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Would you stay silent if someone said similar things about Wolf here?

I understand normal deetracting, but calling the character names that could be seen as insulting will just make the person look stupid. Insulting the supporters is even worse.
Dunno, opinions are unstopped.

If one insists on a thing, no matter how you argue against it, nothing but conflicts will happen.

I'd say I can't care less about opinion, or how other things of me anymore.

Unless they're arguing about facts and not-so-subjective statements.

Dunno, opinions are unstopped.

If one insists on a thing, no matter how you argue against it, nothing but conflicts will happen.

I'd say I can't care less about opinion, or how other things of me anymore.

Unless they're arguing about facts and not-so-subjective statements.
Yes, that is probably a good way to deal with deetractions. I've seen many examples of that bolded part.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
You didn't just do this.

King K. Rool's moveset potential is off the charts compared to both Dixie and Cranky. King K. Rool is also arguable more important than Dixie or Cranky considering he is the main villain of the DKC franchise.

Things he can use include:
His crown
Cannonballs
His Blunderbuss that shoots 3 types of shots (Cannonball, Spiked Cannonball, Gas)
Heli pack
Electricity pods
Kremlings
Boxing gloves

You don't want to start this ****. If you want to argue about this, go to the K Rool thread. And no, his fanbase isn't just a lot of little kids, most people who support him grew up with his wacky persona. Don't randomly hate on other characters in other threads, it won't work out for you.

Back to Dee'z nuts.
Almonds to be exact.
I never wanted to argue. I just wanted to know why K. Rool was so popular. It was a straight-forward question. I don't know why you're getting all mad, you really just answered it for me. Thanks. And yes. We should get back to the Dee.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I never wanted to argue. I just wanted to know why K. Rool was so popular. It was a straight-forward question. I don't know why you're getting all mad, you really just answered it for me. Thanks. And yes. We should get back to the Dee.
Honestly, I don't see the appeal, either, but he's a DK character and a villain, two things people want more of.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I really don't understand why K. Rool is so popular. A lot of his fan base is made of kids who haven't heard of him until the ballot was announced, and support him just because he's requested by others. -_-
I must say that I give major kudos to those of the younger generation who respect our heritage, though I actually did grow up with K. Rool, myself. (My god, was that really twenty years ago, already...? :crazy: Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said I was there at the time with the really old TV shows, either.)

A lot of people have been supporting him since the time of Melee. I remain amazed that he wasn't in by then.

If you're curious as to why he's popular, I can only shed light from my own perspective. I like him because he's a genuinely evil and competent bad guy, and he has numerous idiosyncrasies that make him memorable. He left a major mark with his pirate persona in particular, for me, though he has several (king, pirate, mad scientist, and boxer) - all of which, in the self-aware nature of Rare's DKC trilogy, poke good-natured fun at video game final boss tropes (as a mad scientist, he even ended up poking fun at a then-rival company's work, by using DK and Diddy as a power source for a giant robot).

He's also totally unhinged to go along with his evil tendencies - the first thing he did as a villain was to try to guarantee future success by attempting to starve his foes to death, and he only got worse (and more insane) as time went on - he beats up DK with the butt of his blunderbuss in DKC2, for example. He was toned down a bit in the DK games that were made by Paon (I think some have termed this "Bowserfication"), but even so he was no less competent.

This competence, evilness, and craziness, coupled with the huge amounts of things he did as a final boss, are what makes him an appealing candidate for a fighter.

I know DK needs another rep, but srsly: What happened to Dixie or Cranky Kong?! CRANKY KONG WOULD MAKE MEH HYPE!!! I just believe that K.Rool shouldn't get in before Dixie and/or cranky.
This is like saying that Bowser shouldn't have gotten in before Rosalina, Daisy, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and Pink Gold Baby Rosalina. By this logic, we should have no villains, major or minor antagonists, or even people who merely looked at you funny one time in the series at all yet. ;)

I'd love for Dixie to be playable too, but she wouldn't exist at all were it not for K. Rool's actions necessitating a sequel to DKC in the first place. I don't believe that a character introduced in a sequel is more important than a series' main antagonist who was not only there first, but also provides the impetus for most of the games to take place at all.

As for Cranky, I'm not opposed, but I do feel that making him playable completely misses the point of him, and it genuinely surprises me how often it comes up considering that he's popular specifically for the joke that he represents. The entire point was always that he was never a playable character himself in his own games, and yet he preaches about how contemporary video game heroes should behave. That was always the joke behind Cranky. (For this reason, I have yet to be convinced that Retro Studios gets this. :p)

I'm fine with him, it's just that there are other options in the series besides a chubby croc with a cape to hide his butt.
This kind of reminds me of people's reasons for not wanting Dedede and the like in the Smash series. A character being fat really is not a valid argument. Though perhaps that's why Wii Fit Trainer's here? There are a few pudges on the roster, now. :laugh: That said, K. Rool is mostly muscle.

Anyway, I sincerely apologise for going off-topic here, but @ Hypernovaguy64 Hypernovaguy64 asked and wanted to understand, and I felt it appropriate to provide a detailed answer. ;)

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A quick Google Image search brought me this.

It's amazing, with every supporting character in the console titles. :)
Thanks much, @ FalKoopa FalKoopa ! I didn't try an image search myself as I thought that @ FEEHEELINGGS...Wo Wo Wo FEEHEELINGGS...Wo Wo Wo 's avatar image would be too small for it to work. :laugh:

I really, really like this image, as it very strongly reminds me of a magazine called Super Play, which was a British SNES magazine famed for its custom-drawn cover artwork and import game and anime coverage. I was a big fan of it back when Kirby Super Deluxe was in the midst of being localised for the European market.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This only further proves my theory... You'd think Bandanna Dee would take issue to Kirby slaughtering his brethren.
In RtDL, when you leave an area and come back, the mooks are there as if nothing happened.

I theorise that Kirby's mouth leads to an interdimensional place where they stay till the danger has passed. :teeth:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
I must say that I give major kudos to those of the younger generation who respect our heritage, though I actually did grow up with K. Rool, myself. (My god, was that really twenty years ago, already...? :crazy: Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said I was there at the time with the really old TV shows, either.)

A lot of people have been supporting him since the time of Melee. I remain amazed that he wasn't in by then.

If you're curious as to why he's popular, I can only shed light from my own perspective. I like him because he's a genuinely evil and competent bad guy, and he has numerous idiosyncrasies that make him memorable. He left a major mark with his pirate persona in particular, for me, though he has several (king, pirate, mad scientist, and boxer) - all of which, in the self-aware nature of Rare's DKC trilogy, poke good-natured fun at video game final boss tropes (as a mad scientist, he even ended up poking fun at a then-rival company's work, by using DK and Diddy as a power source for a giant robot).

He's also totally unhinged to go along with his evil tendencies - the first thing he did as a villain was to try to guarantee future success by attempting to starve his foes to death, and he only got worse (and more insane) as time went on - he beats up DK with the butt of his blunderbuss in DKC2, for example. He was toned down a bit in the DK games that were made by Paon (I think some have termed this "Bowserfication"), but even so he was no less competent.

This competence, evilness, and craziness, coupled with the huge amounts of things he did as a final boss, are what makes him an appealing candidate for a fighter.

This is like saying that Bowser shouldn't have gotten in before Rosalina, Daisy, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and Pink Gold Baby Rosalina. By this logic, we should have no villains, major or minor antagonists, or even people who merely looked at you funny one time in the series at all yet. ;)

I'd love for Dixie to be playable too, but she wouldn't exist at all were it not for K. Rool's actions necessitating a sequel to DKC in the first place. I don't believe that a character introduced in a sequel is more important than a series' main antagonist who was not only there first, but also provides the impetus for most of the games to take place at all.

As for Cranky, I'm not opposed, but I do feel that making him playable completely misses the point of him, and it genuinely surprises me how often it comes up considering that he's popular specifically for the joke that he represents. The entire point was always that he was never a playable character himself in his own games, and yet he preaches about how contemporary video game heroes should behave. That was always the joke behind Cranky. (For this reason, I have yet to be convinced that Retro Studios gets this. :p)

This kind of reminds me of people's reasons for not wanting Dedede and the like in the Smash series. A character being fat really is not a valid argument. Though perhaps that's why Wii Fit Trainer's here? There are a few pudges on the roster, now. :laugh: That said, K. Rool is mostly muscle.

Anyway, I sincerely apologise for going off-topic here, but @ Hypernovaguy64 Hypernovaguy64 asked and wanted to understand, and I felt it appropriate to provide a detailed answer. ;)
Thanks. That was really helpful. By the way, I wasn't using the fat arguement against him. I guess I said this wrong. What I'm saying is that it's ok for him to get in. I wouldn't mind. I'd actually try to main him. However, I just really wanted to know why he was popular. For some reason, I never realized people wanted him since melee. If he's THAT popular, then it's official. He's getting into Smash 100% by the time the ballots over. I guess you could say I'm slowly gradually becoming a K. Rool supporter... BUT THAT DONT MEAN IM GONNA STOP SUPPORTIN' CRANKY.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Thanks. That was really helpful. By the way, I wasn't using the fat arguement against him. I guess I said this wrong. What I'm saying is that it's ok for him to get in. I wouldn't mind. I'd actually try to main him. However, I just really wanted to know why he was popular. For some reason, I never realized people wanted him since melee. If he's THAT popular, then it's official. He's getting into Smash 100% by the time the ballots over. I guess you could say I'm slowly gradually becoming a K. Rool supporter... BUT THAT DONT MEAN IM GONNA STOP SUPPORTIN' CRANKY.
He's been a top contender since pre Smash 4... The big 3, Mewtwo, Ridley, and King K. Rool. How have you not heard of this?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks. That was really helpful.
Hey, no problem - thanks very much for reading it all! :) It was actually quite fun to write, too.

By the way, I wasn't using the fat arguement against him. I guess I said this wrong.
I suspected you weren't using it against him, but it did give me a good opportunity to bring up a fairly common point. There have, I gather, even been people who have claimed that he's "too naked" to be in the game, as well. :laugh:

I guess you could say I'm slowly gradually becoming a K. Rool supporter...
If you say that over in the K. Rool thread, you get an initiation video and everything!

BUT THAT DONT MEAN IM GONNA STOP SUPPORTIN' CRANKY.
Donkey Kong Land implies that Cranky and K. Rool are actually on speaking terms (the game's plot hinges on a self-aware bet as to whether a Game Boy installment would be as well-received as the SNES original, and Cranky actually calls K. Rool in to re-steal the Banana Hoard :laugh:), and the TV show seems to have run with this and stated that they're old friends, so that totally works. ;)

I remember seeing some forums when Dedede was confirmed saying things like "Kirby has too many reps!",yeah because how dare one of Nintendo's biggest series get their two other main characters at the time. I love how everyone forgot that :dedede: and :metaknight: were requested since Melee.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I remember seeing some forums when Dedede was confirmed saying things like "Kirby has too many reps!",yeah because how dare one of Nintendo's biggest series get their two other main characters at the time. I love how everyone forgot that :dedede: and :metaknight: were requested since Melee.
Now you made me wonder if MK would have looked like his trophy in Melee if he was playable in it, probably not. xD

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If Meta Knight was playable in Melee, ( even though the 2nd Kirby rep would have been Dedede), I think he would look very similar to his trophy in my opinion.
In Melee, it would be his first apperance in 3D before Air Ride, right? If it is, then yes, that would be the case.

Speaking of Kirby Reps...
How would you react to the following:
Sakurai: Due to the lack of manpower,budget,and time we had this time around. Meta Knight and King Dedede are not returning to Super Smash Bros. 5. But, don't worry I added two other Kirby characters instead. GIVE IT UP FOR TIFF AND TUFF!
Sakurai: They will be a two for one character, making them replace the Ice Climbers.
Sakurai: Have a nice day (laughs)
And on that day, Chandelure became a Super Saiyan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom