• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That's good luck XD

These are Nruffs:

OHH! xD The piggy thingies that I saw in Kirby 64! I honestly always wanted to turn them into ham with Fire Kirby! and yes! indeed it was good luck!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Inkling is already getting DLC costumes and is franchise is too new, only a few months old. The only characters to not be a year old before getting into Smash are Roy (which was promotion for the upcoming FE game) and Greninja (who was added to the roster before Pokemon X and Y were released). I'd imagine the Inkling in Smash 5, but not this game.

AT's in Smash 4 aren't going to be characters in the same Smash game, unless Sakurai would take out said AT, which is extremely unlikely. This is also a reason why Ridley wouldn't be DLC in this game outside of the fact that Sakurai doesn't want to make Ridley. He's a stage boss.

You can dream for Ice Climbers, but it would be a superior option by Nintendo to not, even if I somewhat want them in. They can probably run on the 3DS, but the development time to make them work on it could be spent on fully completing 2 or 3 other characters. I will bet money that they'll be in Smash 5 though.

Sorry about the Waluigi typo btw.
The difference between Inkling and Roy is that Inkling's game is super popular. Plus Inklings wouldn't be anything like a Mii Gunner but let's get back onto the subject of Bandana Dee.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
^u^ Thank you for the introduction, Chandelure! Um, well, like he just mentioned, I'm an artist, but still in training! I have been watching this thread for a while, and gotta say, it is full of cute stuff, just like the character it supports!
View attachment 62329
I did this small sketchy drawing just for fun, hope you like it! :)
Aw, that's sweet! And that drawing is really cute!

Furret24

Smash Master
The difference between Inkling and Roy is that Inkling's game is super popular. Plus Inklings wouldn't be anything like a Mii Gunner but let's get back onto the subject of Bandana Dee.
Neither of those counter my point about the Inkling. Roy's game came out after Melee and I never said the Inkling would be like the Mii Gunner.

I say we drop this before we get too off-topic again.

D

Deleted member

Oh, um...

xD I don't have many kirby games...but, what's a Nruff?

and what a coincidence! Funny thing, when I was at the store, I saw the kirby plush and I told my dad "I wish there was one like this plushie, but blue and wearing a mask (since my dad doesn't know who MK is)" and when I was about to leave, I looked down and there he was lying on the floor!
chandy's avatar should help. happy too have you here!
EDIT:damn didn't notice a whole page there...

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

BDee's simply, and Andrea's one of the better artists on the site, she's the 2nd most liked member for a reason
Thanks, Ryuga. But I know it's mostly because of the Quantity rather than the Quality of my drawings, because there are far better artist than me on this site.
chandy's avatar should help. happy too have you here!
EDIT:damn didn't notice a whole page there...
xD Oh,don't worry! and thank you!

AndreaAC

Andrea dear, I've known you for quite a while, you're one of the best artists on the site
Thanks for your kind words, dear. Really, since I'm a perfectionist, until I'm on the level of true professionals, I won't believe that myself, but, why I would worry of that now? what I want to do the most is have fun drawing many characters, like the cute little fella that is Bandana Dee, and MK of course, even if he's a pain to draw.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
You know what I can't stand, when people say Bandana Dee won't get in because he is a Waddle Dee....do people realize that's racist?

or when they say

they don't think he will get in but Sakurai's bias will help him get in

OGH IT JUST URKS ME
That's not remotely racist....
ugh please reserve the word for a conversation not involving people disagreeing with a Waddle Dee being in smash. This sort of thing isn't at all amusing, sorry.

People aren't hating on waddle dee as a character because of this they are just seriously misunderstanding. They actually think he IS a minion. This is just lack of franchise knowledge

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I know I sound like a jerk when I say this but I hope this is the last time we get a handheld smash bros game not only did it held back the wii u smash bros but it took away my babies....COME BACK ICE CLIMBERS I MISS YOU SO MUCH :cry::cry::cry::cry:!!!
Thankfully for those of us who don't enjoy having to deal with being saddled with playing in only one place, since Smash 3DS sold enormously, handheld Smash titles will most certainly return. Huzzah! ;)

The ironic thing is that the same people are fine with Yoshi, R.O.B., and the Pokemon, who are each members of species rather than a standalone character. The fact that Bandana Dee at least has more to distinguish himself from his species than those characters do brings it home further of what a hypocritical point it is. Were Bandana Dee the main character of the Kirby series, nobody could use such a nit-pick without getting laughed at by everyone around, fans of BWD or not.
I'm so glad that this has come up again, because we all keep missing a massive point here, which your post has reminded me of: Kirby himself is a member of a species that are also all identical. This was established at the end of his very first game, and many subsequent games have shown that, even with the occasional colour variations that exist, the pink specimens are by far the most common.

^u^ Thank you for the introduction, Chandelure! Um, well, like he just mentioned, I'm an artist, but still in training! I have been watching this thread for a while, and gotta say, it is full of cute stuff, just like the character it supports!
View attachment 62329
Welcome Andrea, and nice to meet you! I must say that I really like your art-style - do you have any other Kirby-related art online?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Thankfully for those of us who don't enjoy having to deal with being saddled with playing in only one place, since Smash 3DS sold enormously, handheld Smash titles will most certainly return. Huzzah! ;)

I'm so glad that this has come up again, because we all keep missing a massive point here, which your post has reminded me of: Kirby himself is a member of a species that are also all identical. This was established at the end of his very first game, and many subsequent games have shown that, even with the occasional colour variations that exist, the pink specimens are by far the most common.

Welcome Andrea, and nice to meet you! I must say that I really like your art-style - do you have any other Kirby-related art online?
^u^ Nice to meet you as well! :) And thanks! my style is mostly sketchy-looking, but I still need to improve! And sadly, no, I used to have some old kirby drawings before I used the Graphic Tablet, but they are mostly lost. I have made plenty of art exclusively here on Smashboards like the Ridley threads and Rayman thread, but I don't have a Deviantart page or the like for those yet, since I'm not a professional.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
^u^ Nice to meet you as well! :) And thanks! my style is mostly sketchy-looking, but I still need to improve! And sadly, no, I used to have some old kirby drawings before I used the Graphic Tablet, but they are mostly lost. I have made plenty of art exclusively here on Smashboards like the Ridley threads and Rayman thread, but I don't have a Deviantart page or the like for those yet, since I'm not a professional.
That's a shame about the lost drawings...

Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing your work around this thread! I love what's been posted so far. :grin:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
View attachment 62329
Well, I guess we have a new supporter. Welcome to heck!!!

@Helmslock Earlier you were talking about "Bandana Beatdown" for BD's final smash. That's actually pretty good... But yeah as it was mentioned before, 3ds version. I swear I'm getting sick of that. The series being slowed down because of the weak 3ds. Smash should have been CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE ONLY-- ahem.

Excuse my sudden outburst.

Apparently, many people think that Bandana Dee is just a normal Waddle Dee, and truth be told... They're right. When you look at him, you'll notice his true design. A bandana wearing Dee. However, it's really his skill that makes him unique. When you see Deetractors, I suggest shutting down their appifany with that statement. That's the most simplistic, easy counter-argument I can find, along with most other supporters I've seen. If they can't comprehend that, there's just no changing them, so move on. Also, when saying he has skill, you may want to mention the fact how he's the only Waddle Dee to master a spear, and having the second role in Rainbow Curse. Of course, saving Kirby himself.

AndreaAC

That's a shame about the lost drawings...

Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing your work around this thread! I love what's been posted so far. :grin:
:) Thanks and hopefully I will draw more!

@Helmslock Earlier you were talking about "Bandana Beatdown" for BD's final smash. That's actually pretty good... But yeah as it was mentioned before, 3ds version. I swear I'm getting sick of that. The series being slowed down because of the weak 3ds. Smash should have been CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE ONLY-- ahem.

Excuse my sudden outburst.

Apparently, many people think that Bandana Dee is just a normal Waddle Dee, and truth be told... They're right. When you look at him, you'll notice his true design. A bandana wearing Dee. However, it's really his skill that makes him unique. When you see Deetractors, I suggest shutting down their appifany with that statement. That's the most simplistic, easy counter-argument I can find, along with most other supporters I've seen. If they can't comprehend that, there's just no changing them, so move on. Also, when saying he has skill, you may want to mention the fact how he's the only Waddle Dee to master a spear, and having the second role in Rainbow Curse. Of course, saving Kirby himself.
:) Thanks! and to heck? xD Also, the second gif on your signature is simply HILARIOUS!

shane3x

Saint of Swords
[/quote]
Please don't dodge my question.[/quote]

Perhaps the hint was not clear enough. Not here. It should be fairly evident why.

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
I just realized something guys!!! :drflip:
Palutena making a Pole Dance with her staff ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
Bandana Dee making a Pole Dance with his spear ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

@HelmslockBut yeah as it was mentioned before, 3ds version. I swear I'm getting sick of that. The series being slowed down because of the weak 3ds. Smash should have been CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE ONLY-- ahem
This is kind of like saying that the Kirby series, which originated on handhelds, should never have been allowed to expand to new audiences by having home-console installments. ;) The fact is, if you look at sales it's clear that the series has been held up by, and has very likely reached some new audiences via, the 3DS version (which is superb, by the way - don't miss out) - it's sold around twice as much to date.

Apparently, many people think that Bandana Dee is just a normal Waddle Dee, and truth be told... They're right. When you look at him, you'll notice his true design. A bandana wearing Dee. However, it's really his skill that makes him unique.
You know, the same can actually be said of Kirby himself. That's what makes this statement so great. :b:

Also, when saying he has skill, you may want to mention the fact how he's the only Waddle Dee to master a spear, and having the second role in Rainbow Curse. Of course, saving Kirby himself.
The devs made a little note about this in an interview;

The interviewers asked why Waddle Dees were chosen as the multiplayer characters instead of characters such as Meta Knight or King Dedede, and the developers had this to say:

The people who join multiplayer have one responsibility, and that is to protect Kirby. To me, I thought only one character really suited that responsibility, and that was Waddle Dee. He can catch Kirby, he can fight with a spear, and he's a lovable and humorous character that I think is unique and attractive for the game.

AndreaAC

Ooh...so this is where stuff starts to get crazy around here? . u . ;;

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
By the time there's a new smash in development, wouldn't the next portable system be powerful enough to handle the Ice Climbers anyway?
This is more than just a little deesturbing.

Also, would anyone agree that Bandana Dee should have a "Stacking" mechanic in his moveset like in Kirby's return to Dreamland? It's a currently unrepresented mechanic, and I figure it'd be easy enough to just have him plop down a few waddle Dees and ride them to represent it and make Bandana Dee even more unique.
Does this mechanic have a official name? I feel so weird saying stacking, just feels off.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
By the time there's a new smash in development, wouldn't the next portable system be powerful enough to handle the Ice Climbers anyway?

This is more than just a little deesturbing.

Also, would anyone agree that Bandana Dee should have a "Stacking" mechanic in his moveset like in Kirby's return to Dreamland? It's a currently unrepresented mechanic, and I figure it'd be easy enough to just have him plop down a few waddle Dees and ride them to represent it and make Bandana Dee even more unique.
Does this mechanic have a official name? I feel so weird saying stacking, just feels off.
Its called team piggyback

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Precisely. And I can't wait to see them return, even though I never got on with them. :laugh: More opponents are always a good thing!

I would agree! It's one of the surviving elements of the cancelled GameCube Kirby game, isn't it? And it's possible on the 3DS, as well, since it doesn't involve additional AIs chewing up CPU time (see Duck Hunt Duo and Rosalina & Luma for a couple of quick examples of multiple reasonably-sized models in one player-character). I'm not sure what sort of moves you'd use it for, though...

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I actually like the idea of a character who's normally considered a mook or minion upgrading itself to have clout along with the stars of their particular IP. Captain Toad comes to mind as well.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I actually like the idea of a character who's normally considered a mook or minion upgrading itself to have clout along with the stars of their particular IP. Captain Toad comes to mind as well.
Now I'm wondering if any other examples exist...

Also, you'll have to forgive my ignorance as I haven't followed Toad or any other Toads at all, but is this a common point made against him, as well? Or does he, or particularly the likes of Captain Toad, get a pass due to being considered to be on the protagonists' side?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Now I'm wondering if any other examples exist...

Also, you'll have to forgive my ignorance as I haven't followed Toad or any other Toads at all, but is this a common point made against him, as well? Or does he, or particularly the likes of Captain Toad, get a pass due to being considered to be on the protagonists' side?
Captain Toad gets a pass for staring in his own game, which was very recent and also very good. He generally doesn't deal with the same deetractors that BDee does because of this. His clothes, backpack, helmet, and pickaxe help differentiate Captain Toad from all the other Toads (In the way BDee has his bandanna and spear). BDee would be much more requested than he is now, and he's already got some good support, if he had his own game, but not even Meta Knight will ever get his own game.

Edit: Also, Mario IP. Of all IPs in Smash, the Mario one could easily take up 1/6th or even 1/5th of the entire roster and not feel over represented because Mario IS Nintendo.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

XDD
That avi was weird.
Your drawing looks awesome, like always.
xD But it was cool! that's why I remember it so much! and thanks! :3
Cute little things, aren't they?

Now that's adorable!:love: Is there anywhere I can see more of your art?
xD Of course they are! and well, I just started making BDee/Kirby art today! the rest of my art is in very specific threads like the Ridley threads and the Rayman thread respectively.

:3 glad you liked the drawing!

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
This is kind of like saying that the Kirby series, which originated on handhelds, should never have been allowed to expand to new audiences by having home-console installments. ;) The fact is, if you look at sales it's clear that the series has been held up by, and has very likely reached some new audiences via, the 3DS version (which is superb, by the way - don't miss out) - it's sold around twice as much to date.

You know, the same can actually be said of Kirby himself. That's what makes this statement so great. :b:

The devs made a little note about this in an interview;
Yeah but the Kirby series doesn't have any mechanics that are too powerful for the systems. Ice Climbers couldn't make it because of the 3ds and its low capability of pulling off those controls, along with Waddle Dee Army. If Bandana Dee has a final smash, and it's like Waddle Dee army, it would have to be a cutscene, like Chandalure mentioned a while ago. But man I'd kill for a Kirby game on the NX. Kirby Nebula DeluXe. :)

Furret24

Smash Master
Yeah but the Kirby series doesn't have any mechanics that are too powerful for the systems. Ice Climbers couldn't make it because of the 3ds and its low capability of pulling off those controls, along with Waddle Dee Army. If Bandana Dee has a final smash, and it's like Waddle Dee army, it would have to be a cutscene, like Chandalure mentioned a while ago. But man I'd kill for a Kirby game on the NX. Kirby Nebula DeluXe. :)
Honestly, I think a final smash like Waddle Dee Army could work on the 3DS. Unlike the Ice Climbers, the Waddle Dees/Doos and Gordo's AI wouldn't have to be that complex. It would still take extra development time to make Waddle Dee Army work that could be spent on other DLC characters, stages, etc, so having it be a trapping Final Smash not unlike Captain Falcon, Shulk, Kirby, and others.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well, the activity here certainly picked up. I passed out while reading the thread! What happened?

Furret24

Smash Master
Well, the activity here certainly picked up. I passed out while reading the thread! What happened?
We brought up the Piggyback mechanic in RTD and how that could possibly translate into smash. Then, Andrea posted some lovely art of Ridley, Bandana Dee, and Rayman.

Most importantly though...
There was also somthing about dodging a point, but nobody cares about that.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
We brought up the Piggyback mechanic in RTD and how that could possibly translate into smash. Then, Andrea posted some lovely art of Ridley, Bandana Dee, and Rayman.

Most importantly though...

There was also somthing about dodging a point, but nobody cares about that.
Piggybacking and pole dancing? I don't think I like where this is heading...

Last edited:
Top Bottom