• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Just take a look at the other support threads, particularly the K. Rool and Isaac ones. They still stay on topic despite having been around for longer than we have.
They're the examples we should be following, here, without a doubt.

I always do my best to do so. I hope the occasional notes about Kirby series merchandise are considered alright? (Still hoping for some BWD goodies, by the way. :laugh:)

Now, more about Bandana Dee. I'm going to be blunt; we've done very little in terms of supporting him. The Bandana Ballot campaign didn't achieve anything notable. Once GRC got busy and couldn't keep up the schedule, it just collapsed. Given that very few of the thread members were actually contributing anything to the campaign, it's no surprise that we lost motivation and it just faded away.
I take care of Miiverse postings most days (save for the ones where I don't have the free time to do so - I need to start using the 3DS' option to save offline posts to pick up some slack), and have only seen "deetractions" twice (and they've always been polite ones), amongst a large sea of "Yeah!"s and a number of positive comments. I also give "Yeah!"s to any BWD Miiverse support postings I see.

I hope it's doing something. BWD certainly seems to be well-liked there, and it seems to be a good venue to promote him by virtue of Miiverse being all about the games, and thus largely lacking parrotting of the press' downplaying of the Kirby series' relevance and popularity (which I've said before is an issue I believe to be unique to this campaign).

I'm not really sure why we're so sure of his chances, as even the K. Rool and Isaac fans aren't this confident.
I'm not sure of them myself, as I don't believe complacency will do anything but guarantee failure. I'm a K. Rool supporter too, for whatever it's worth, but I had that attitude before the ballot anyway.

How many times have you seen the K. Rool, Isaac or even the minor ones like Daisy or Captain Toad go off-topic and degenerate into fights? That's right. Never. We need to get to that level, or we'll never be able to command the same amount of respect.
Seconded. I can't put it better, so that's all I can say. :p

Guys we should ask JamesmanTheRegenold from deviantart for help he is a huge supporter of bandana waddle dee we can ask a request for him to do a bandana waddle dee moveset list like the one I should you all with the dixie kong moveset picture a few post back JamesmanTheRegenold can do the same one if this happens it will give the people a good impression why bandana waddle dee deservers to be in smash 4 for DEELC.
Go for it - draft up a polite, concise note, and ask him. :) If you want to run grammar and punctuation by the thread first, feel free to do that, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They're the examples we should be following, here, without a doubt.

I always do my best to do so. I hope the occasional notes about Kirby series merchandise are considered alright? (Still hoping for some BWD goodies, by the way. :laugh:)

I take care of Miiverse postings most days (save for the ones where I don't have the free time to do so - I need to start using the 3DS' option to save offline posts to pick up some slack), and have only seen "deetractions" twice (and they've always been polite ones), amongst a large sea of "Yeah!"s and a number of positive comments. I also give "Yeah!"s to any BWD Miiverse support postings I see.

I hope it's doing something. BWD certainly seems to be well-liked there, and it seems to be a good venue to promote him by virtue of Miiverse being all about the games, and thus largely lacking parrotting of the press' downplaying of the Kirby series' relevance and popularity (which I've said before is an issue I believe to be unique to this campaign).

I'm not sure of them myself, as I don't believe complacency will do anything but guarantee failure. I'm a K. Rool supporter too, for whatever it's worth, but I had that attitude before the ballot anyway.

Seconded. I can't put it better, so that's all I can say. :p

Go for it - draft up a polite, concise note, and ask him. :) If you want to run grammar and punctuation by the thread first, feel free to do that, too.
yeah sorry about the bad grammer it been a long day for me that why you guys haven't seen me around in this thread for some time now.

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
So, What's going on guys? :drflip:
Oh, we're making a revolution...
Again...
Welp, I know some other DeviantArtists that have BD as their main choice for the ballot
SuperLakitu

Mikoto-chan

Funnily enough both of them have spanish as their First language :dr-_-:
Just sharing that guys, I'm not the best drawing so I'll probably just lurk and give some ideas about how BD could work in Smash :drohyou:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So, What's going on guys? :drflip:
Oh, we're making a revolution...
Again...
Welp, I know some other DeviantArtists that have BD as their main choice for the ballot
SuperLakitu

Mikoto-chan

Funnily enough both of them have spanish as their First language :dr-_-:
Just sharing that guys, I'm not the best drawing so I'll probably just lurk and give some ideas about how BD could work in Smash :drohyou:
I like the last one the best because Bandana Dee is chubby.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
You know speaking of other languages we should work on spreading the Dee love that way.
It would be neat if we were able to translate any movesets we have and share them even farther.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
You know speaking of other languages we should work on spreading the Dee love that way.
It would be neat if we were able to translate any movesets we have and share them even farther.
We could use Google Translate, but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Better not.

Anyway, before we go to movesets, multilingual 'Vote for Bandana Dee' banners would be better.

If I remember from the Isaac thread, it's probably "Votez pour Bandana Dee" in French and "Stimme für Bandana Dee" in German. Someone provide the Spanish translation please. :p

:231:

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I wish I could say I'd be able to help with a few of the languages since I'm going to start learning German once I move there (Just 3 weeks from now) and probably a few others in the future, but that will be way too late to help with the ballot. Sorry.

Google translate is rather inaccurate and will probably make our message unclear so I'd advise against using it for anything other than translating a single word you need to know or something.

Here, look at the insanity it creates.

I rest my case

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Google Translate works better with words, don't use full sentences
Better not.

Anyway, before we go to movesets, multilingual 'Vote for Bandana Dee' banners would be better.

If I remember from the Isaac thread, it's probably "Votez pour Bandana Dee" in French and "Stimme für Bandana Dee" in German. Someone provide the Spanish translation please. :p

"Vota por Bandana Waddle Dee"
"Vota por Bandana Dee"

Or for the ones who live in Spain :dr^_^:
"Vota por Waddle Dee Pañuelo" :chuckle:
It isn't really rocket science :drshrug:
On the other hand, we could use a Japanese Translator :awesome:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I know Spanish, French and German speakers.

If you need help, just holler~

EDIT: For the keks of it, I can also provide Irish~

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603

"Vota por Bandana Dee"

I've taken Japanese more than once, once in high school and once in college, but every time, I wouldn't be able to take more than a second year due to the class cancelling on me in its more advanced levels. Those periods of not speaking Japanese of course mean I end up forgetting everything I learned. If I could finally get a course next Spring that'll stay with me until graduation, I'm hoping I can be of use then.

Of course, the main issue is that we need a Japanese speaker within the remaining 3 months, so... Yeah... Google Translate won't help us much at all with Japanese. The sentence structure is completely alien compared to English. :dizzy:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Google Translate Sings is further (howl-with-laughter hilarious) proof of how we shouldn't use Google Translate in any serious capacity. :laugh:

Anyway, I only speak English, but I'm happy to proof-read and correct things if required, as I've alluded to previously.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

"Vota por Bandana Dee"

Waddle Dee Pañuelo is so weird and cute, it's like saying Piece of Cloth Waddle Dee XD

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's weird. I'm multilingual but only in actual linguistics. I mean I can read a few words and understand the gist but if I hear or speak it I'm flawless, mostly. I speak English, German, Japanese, Spanish, and French. Japanese sucks though so...

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, now I finished my university semester, so I will be able to make more propaganda again.
I will actually do a Bandana Dee drawing in Miiverse right now.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I agree. We should work on some new banners in other languages.
We could gather up an organized list of sayings such as "Vote Bandana Dee in the Super Smash Bros ballot!" So then the people who can draw and photoshop our beloved Dee can easily work the letters around. Clearly languages such as Spanish, French, German, Portuguese and Japanese often comes to mind.
Edit: Fine I fixed it.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Hmm, I suppose. I was starting to think he was gaining popularity though. Maybe it's just from being on Smash Boards for so long.
If you just looked at only smashboards and removed all context and criteria you would think he was the second most requested character, which as you said probably has happened quite a bit. Although he does have one very powerful factor at play.

Sakurai.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We got quite sidetracked with the language talk. :p I speak five languages too but not any European ones unfortunately, except English.

Anyway, do we have a previously made banner we can edit?

Last edited:

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
If you just looked at only smashboards and removed all context and criteria you would think he was the second most requested character, which as you said probably has happened quite a bit. Although he does have one very powerful factor at play.

Sakurai.
I wouldn't say sakurai is really a helping factor, consider bandana dee isn't prominent in any Kirby game which sakurai developed, and sakurai didn't show a lot of love to Kirby games that he didn't develop.

About the poll because the actual list starts at line 5, bandana dee is actually number 18( not much better, but at least he's in top 20).

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit?pli=1#gid=729442469

This doesn't bode well for Bandana Dee guys, he's in spot 22! He's below Midna/Wolf Link and Waluigi, who are assist trophy's. That doesn't bode well for him at all, I thought he was around third place after King K. Rool and Issac.
I see Goku and Shrek on that poll. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Also, remove the third parties and the ones who are already in the game (Ridley, Waluigi, and Midna), he jumps a lot of places. Also,Dixie and Krystal are less likely due to a different character from that franchise being more likely (Wolf, King K Rool). And as for Paper Mario, we already have 2 Marios and 7 Mario characters, so he's not so likely either. Take all that into account and also the fact that this poll wasn't the opinion of the majority of people, and Bandana Dee is still in a good spot.

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Not that surprising.
I bringing this over here because I don't want the other thread to be locked.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate.... and I mean APPRECIATE the commitment you have to Bandana Dee in the deetracting sorts this is the first time you have actually took my advice and come over here..Thank You, I respect that.

Now I have a really important question for you that I think you need to clearly point out as why.... WHY you think Bandana Dee isn't a good choice/shouldn't be in the game/whatever you deetractors say.

I'm sure we've shot you down before but like a person that got shot in the arm..you're still standing so please elaborate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly non of us new about that poll and we are the Bandana Brigade we are spread on many websites I'm sure we would be higher..besides if you really get down into it Bandana Dee could be rather high on that list when you get rid of characters that most likely won't get in + characters that have gotten representation in ways (Inkling Fighter out fit + Trophy)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back everyone.

Iwata's death really took a toll on me and everyone was so mushy and depressing here + We got REALLY off-topic...but I'm back now

GhostlyLure.png

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I wouldn't say sakurai is really a helping factor, consider bandana dee isn't prominent in any Kirby game which sakurai developed, and sakurai didn't show a lot of love to Kirby games that he didn't develop.
Hence why I omitted whether it was good or bad. It's still a powerful factor which at the moment appears to be on the opposing side however it could easily swing and become a very powerful ally indeed.

this is the first time you have actually took my advice and come over here..Thank You, I respect that.
Eh? I have no idea what you are talking.

Now I have a really important question for you that I think you need to clearly point out as why.... WHY you think Bandana Dee isn't a good choice/shouldn't be in the game/whatever you deetractors say.
I'm sure we've shot you down before but like a person that got shot in the arm..you're still standing so please elaborate.
People aren't interested in the discussion in this thread hence why I don't post here that often and more in neutral zones.

Honestly non of us new about that poll and we are the Bandana Brigade we are spread on many websites I'm sure we would be higher..besides if you really get down into it Bandana Dee could be rather high on that list when you get rid of characters that most likely won't get in + characters that have gotten representation in ways (Inkling Fighter out fit + Trophy)
It's not a poll itself, but a collection of data combined to provide results. The sources are provided to the individual data. Does seem like a few other people aren't exactly interpreting the results correcting with some stating he is 22nd with one person correctly stating why that isn't the case.[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I'm going to try and get back into digital drawing for this thread... Maybe I can help out...

I feel like we don't really have confirmed and argeed upon moveset though... right? I mean do we all still mostly agree on Mega Ton Punch as his final smash?

I feel like we also disagree when it comes to including general waddle dee minion abilities with BDee's Spear moveset...

purists want to keep Bdee's spear central to his moveset as it's iconic of the character and deviating, blends him with the general waddle dee which has been a fight we've had to have with detractors.

while others wish to see his moveset include other waddle dee abilities because there's the idea that there won't be enough moves?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm going to try and get back into digital drawing for this thread... Maybe I can help out...

I feel like we don't really have confirmed and argeed upon moveset though... right? I mean do we all still mostly agree on Mega Ton Punch as his final smash?

I feel like we also disagree when it comes to including general waddle dee minion abilities with BDee's Spear moveset...

purists want to keep Bdee's spear central to his moveset as it's iconic of the character and deviating, blends him with the general waddle dee which has been a fight we've had to have with detractors.

while others wish to see his moveset include other waddle dee abilities because there's the idea that there won't be enough moves?
Megaton Punch is to BDee what Judgment is for Isaac,everyone seems to agree
Some people like the minion moves, most don't really

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Hence why I omitted whether it was good or bad. It's still a powerful factor which at the moment appears to be on the opposing side however it could easily swing and become a very powerful ally indeed.

Eh? I have no idea what you are talking.

People aren't interested in the discussion in this thread hence why I don't post here that often and more in neutral zones.

It's not a poll itself, but a collection of data combined to provide results. The sources are provided to the individual data. Does seem like a few other people aren't exactly interpreting the results correcting with some stating he is 22nd with one person correctly stating why that isn't the case.
[/quote][/quote]
Please don't dodge my question.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Hey I was looking at that dixie image when I got an idea for an edge grab

Of course BDee would have his spearcopter move to reach the edge and grab on... or just land on the stage.

However what if a side jab move from one of his usual moves (jab or side a/side smash) at a distance to the side of a stage, could get his spear caught on the side and give him the ability to scale it back onto stage...

It could save a on a jump. Thoughts?

What if for a short limited time, a few spears thrown with his projectile spear toss (a) could get stuck on walls for an instance and be cleverly planned as a way to scale areas too...

too op? lol Feel like the spear, because of it's long shaft could also be used with a platforming element to it that works for recoveries... however it'd really have to be limited if he's got all those options.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey I was looking at that dixie image when I got an idea for an edge grab

Of course BDee would have his spearcopter move to reach the edge and grab on... or just land on the stage.

However what if a side jab move from one of his usual moves (jab or side a/side smash) at a distance to the side of a stage, could get his spear caught on the side and give him the ability to scale it back onto stage...

It could save a on a jump. Thoughts?

What if for a short limited time, a few spears thrown with his projectile spear toss (a) could get stuck on walls for an instance and be cleverly planned as a way to scale areas too...

too op? lol Feel like the spear, because of it's long shaft could also be used with a platforming element to it that works for recoveries... however it'd really have to be limited if he's got all those options.
Dedede can have Gordos stick to edges, but having a platform there...As long as enemies can use it too then it's good

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Okay if I'm going to work on an image moveset I'll use the return to dreamland spear moveset as it's foundation.

but just to get some feedback here, of the moves that exist there... I think the bulk are keepers but I'll run it down.

Now moves like Spear Thrust can be (A) jab, with a more charged up thrust a possible smash/side smash

Not sure how back thrust would work in smash but I kind of like it. What if it's a skilled maneuver added that relies on player's ability to pivot. Allowing BD to instantly change direction quick to attack an opponent that's moved behind him. Simply a quick pivot and (A). The frames can be fast a fewer than simply turning to thrust. I'm sure this is probably a feature already in smash anyway as player quick to turn with the stick and attack again are already doing some kind of pivot related play... but I guess this can be more built in? It's been awhile since I've dabbled in smash so apologies. I'll have to get right back in for the research.
Skyward Thrust and Moon Drop are obvious Up and Down (A) Attacks. Multispear can flesh out the jab attacks. (A)x 2 perhaps two swipes up and down, and (A) multiple = Multispear.

Spear Copter should be relegated to recovery so this will be attached to UP (B). Spear Toss to Neutral (B).

This still leaves us with options for neutral attack in air, elaborations to the various charged directional (A)s and side specials and down special.

I'm on the side that feels that BDee's spear should be central but that it can be quirky too. I like the proposed ideas of it using it to also recover by getting it stuck on the side of stages.

Maybe it can also be used to, deflect objects, stun an opponent by pinning them in place temporarily, launching an opponent, perhaps the red sash on the tip can do something, maybe incorporating a few physical attacks that relate to BDee... like maybe a down (B) move could be a smaller Meta Ton Punch. I like this foundation and now just a few moves we should agree on.

Move Controls Description
Spear Thrust
Button 1 Kirby thrusts the spear forward; this has slightly longer range than Sword's basic attack.
Back Thrust Thrust, then face opposite + Button 1 Kirby thrusts the spear the other way, which has the same effect as Spear Thrust.
Skyward Thrust ↑ + Button 1 Kirby thrusts the spear upwards; this has the same range as Spear Thrust.
Moon Drop (midair) ↓ + button 1 Kirby flashes the spear and twirls it downwards towards the ground.
Spear Throw Dash + Button 1 Kirby throws one spear in a short distance.
Spear Barrage Dash, then while midair press Button 1 repeatedly Kirby throws two spears in succession, each having varying distances.
Triple Throw
Dash + Hold Button 1 Kirby throws three spears at once in a spread.
Multispear Attack Button 1 repeatedly Kirby unleashes a flurry of forward jabs with the spear before finishing with a powerful thrust. Similar to Sword's Multisword Slash. Comboed from Spear Thrust.
Spear Copter Hold Button 1, then release Kirby twirls the spear above his head and hovers like a helicopter. Anything touching the spinning spear takes damage. The hover ends after six seconds, and Kirby slows the twirling and lands.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay if I'm going to work on an image moveset I'll use the return to dreamland spear moveset as it's foundation.

but just to get some feedback here, of the moves that exist there... I think the bulk are keepers but I'll run it down.

Now moves like Spear Thrust can be (A) jab, with a more charged up thrust a possible smash/side smash

Not sure how back thrust would work in smash but I kind of like it. What if it's a skilled maneuver added that relies on player's ability to pivot. Allowing BD to instantly change direction quick to attack an opponent that's moved behind him. Simply a quick pivot and (A). The frames can be fast a fewer than simply turning to thrust. I'm sure this is probably a feature already in smash anyway as player quick to turn with the stick and attack again are already doing some kind of pivot related play... but I guess this can be more built in? It's been awhile since I've dabbled in smash so apologies. I'll have to get right back in for the research.
Skyward Thrust and Moon Drop are obvious Up and Down (A) Attacks. Multispear can flesh out the jab attacks. (A)x 2 perhaps two swipes up and down, and (A) multiple = Multispear.

Spear Copter should be relegated to recovery so this will be attached to UP (B). Spear Toss to Neutral (B).

This still leaves us with options for neutral attack in air, elaborations to the various charged directional (A)s and side specials and down special.

I'm on the side that feels that BDee's spear should be central but that it can be quirky too. I like the proposed ideas of it using it to also recover by getting it stuck on the side of stages.

Maybe it can also be used to, deflect objects, stun an opponent by pinning them in place temporarily, launching an opponent, perhaps the red sash on the tip can do something, maybe incorporating a few physical attacks that relate to BDee... like maybe a down (B) move could be a smaller Meta Ton Punch. I like this foundation and now just a few moves we should agree on.

Move Controls Description
Spear Thrust Button 1 Kirby thrusts the spear forward; this has slightly longer range than Sword's basic attack.
Back Thrust Thrust, then face opposite + Button 1 Kirby thrusts the spear the other way, which has the same effect as Spear Thrust.
Skyward Thrust ↑ + Button 1 Kirby thrusts the spear upwards; this has the same range as Spear Thrust.
Moon Drop (midair) ↓ + button 1 Kirby flashes the spear and twirls it downwards towards the ground.
Spear Throw Dash + Button 1 Kirby throws one spear in a short distance.
Spear Barrage Dash, then while midair press Button 1 repeatedly Kirby throws two spears in succession, each having varying distances.
Triple Throw
Dash + Hold Button 1 Kirby throws three spears at once in a spread.
Multispear Attack Button 1 repeatedly Kirby unleashes a flurry of forward jabs with the spear before finishing with a powerful thrust. Similar to Sword's Multisword Slash. Comboed from Spear Thrust.
Spear Copter Hold Button 1, then release Kirby twirls the spear above his head and hovers like a helicopter. Anything touching the spinning spear takes damage. The hover ends after six seconds, and Kirby slows the twirling and lands.
Bacl Thrust is perfect Dsmash material IMO

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Bacl Thrust is perfect Dsmash material IMO
Oh really? I feel like a down smash should sort of cover the area around the character. Like I like how Kirby's down smash with his feet attacks enemies from froward and behind... though I'm guessing you mean that back thrust would work similar with a forward thrust first and a very quick back thrust

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh really? I feel like a down smash should sort of cover the area around the character. Like I like how Kirby's down smash with his feet attacks enemies from froward and behind... though I'm guessing you mean that back thrust would work similar with a forward thrust first and a very quick back thrust
Most characters hit in front of them first, then back, FE characters do this most of the time

Top Bottom