• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Sakuri has stated a million times that popularity doesn't determine whether or not a character will get in. The primary determining factor is uniqueness. Palutena got in because she had potential. Alph didn't get in (as his own character) because there was and is close to nothing distinguishing him from Olimar.

The point to be made here is that Sakuri couldn't care less about how popular a series is; all he cares about is what that series has to offer. Let's be honest: do King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, or Cranky Kong have enough potential as playable fighters to land them in Smash as opposed to characters like Robin, Rosalina and Luma, or Little Mac?

Let's make something very clear: a moveset being possible to pull is NOT the same thing as said moveset being unique. Even if the moveset isn't shared with any other fighter, that doesn't mean it'll bring something new to the tables. That's why I support Magolor's inclusion as opposed to Bandana Dee. Sorry Deeple, I just don't think Bandana Dee would contribute enough to the overall balance of the game, even if he would be super fun to play. Of course, I do believe that both will make it in eventually. And if either make it in via the ballot, it'll obviously be Bandana Dee.

That having been said, I've never really taken Dark Pit or Lucina into consideration when arguing that their respective series have too many reps, given there nature as late additions. I would say the same about Dr Mario, but you know what they say: you can never have too many Mario reps. (I don't believe that, honestly)
>.> Are you saying the first spear user won't bring anything unique to smash...

By that logic, Magolor wouldn't bring anything new to the table for using magic :T

"Even if the moveset isn't shared with any other fighter, that doesn't mean it'll bring something new to the tables."

You basically contradicted yourself in your own opinion.

We have 2 magic users (:4robinm:&:4zelda:), what would make Magolor so special?

Kinda sounds like you have a bias against Bandanna.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Magolor uses space-time magic not magical book magic like Robin. Not that it gives him more uniqueness than Bandanna Dee, but Magolor is in all honestly, one of the more unique candidates for smash right now. He can open portals, travel through dimensions and even drop gears on his enemies heads from the sky. He'd add a lot I'd think, especially if his moveset is portal based, imagine all the uses in doubles!

OK, I'm back.

I noticed that some members here always fight (not only here, also in PMs) so... please stop with that.
MarioMeteor, you are a very good supporter, but please don't make other supporters mad or uncomfortable.
GRC is like, the best thing that has happened to this thread lately, he transformed it and our mentality for good.
So please don't fight, we need to be together.
I feel like I'm partially to blame here, while I didn't mean to start any fighting, I kinda helped it flare up by debating, so I apologize.
And yes, Unity is what we need most right now.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Magolor uses space-time magic not magical book magic like Robin. Not that it gives him more uniqueness than Bandanna Dee, but Magolor is in all honestly, one of the more unique candidates for smash right now. He can open portals, travel through dimensions and even drop gears on his enemies heads from the sky. He'd add a lot I'd think, especially if his moveset is portal based, imagine all the uses in doubles!

I feel like I'm partially to blame here, while I didn't mean to start any fighting, I kinda helped it flare up by debating, so I apologize.
And yes, Unity is what we need most right now.
But he can only do that with the Master Crown...which not only turns him HUGE but he's helpless without.
Magic is magic no matter how you put it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Magolor. I just think saying "The first spear character wouldn't be as unique as the third magic user" maks any sense
I liked Magolor until 20th anniversary were they ruined his entire character for me, it's not that he re-appeared it's that he was like...LETS FORGET EVERYTHING BECAUSE I BUILT YOU AN AMUSEMENT PARK!

BTW Chandelure the Bandanna Dee twitter is missing Thursday

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But he can only do that with the Master Crown...which not only turns him HUGE but he's helpless without.
Magic is magic no matter how you put it.

I liked Magolor until 20th anniversary were they ruined his entire character for me, it's not that he re-appeared it's that he was like...LETS FORGET EVERYTHING BECAUSE I BUILT YOU AN AMUSEMENT PARK!
In Dream Collection, he'd summon projectiles and enemies iirc. Kirby's an idiot, he'd forgive Magolor if he gave him a slice of cake

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And now you have a sign. A Magical Starsign. (Somehow I doubt anyone will get this.)
I get it. It's an old, obscure Nintendo game, if memory serves.
OK, I'm back.

I noticed that some members here always fight (not only here, also in PMs) so... please stop with that.
MarioMeteor, you are a very good supporter, but please don't make other supporters mad or uncomfortable.
GRC is like, the best thing that has happened to this thread lately, he transformed it and our mentality for good.
So please don't fight, we need to be together.
Chandy, you've returned! So...yay, and stuff.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
In Dream Collection, he'd summon projectiles and enemies iirc. Kirby's an idiot, he'd forgive Magolor if he gave him a slice of cake
I'm sure he would like GLaDOS in that case.. lol XD

Anyway, fellas lets try not to downplay competition... I know it's tempting, but don't.

Magolor is a unique character to me. He really stands out as a Kirby villain...mainly because HE IS STILL ALIVE... Not many true villains in the series live through a fight with the little guy. Most of them end up dieing a horrible death XD

The fact that he is still being kept around shows at least that he "could" have potential in becoming a recurring character, and if that is the case, we could definitely start to see him get some ground in future titles if that trend continues, and his moveset pool expand even further. He could even become a new possible anti-hero, like GRC has mentioned.

For now, lets just focus on the Dee here. This is the Bandana Dee support thread after all.

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Yes so deezus, I'm making a Bandanna Ballot video discussing the weekly plans....I thought I'd let you guys know..I don't need help this time just letting you guys know.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Let's make something very clear: a moveset being possible to pull is NOT the same thing as said moveset being unique. Even if the moveset isn't shared with any other fighter, that doesn't mean it'll bring something new to the tables. That's why I support Magolor's inclusion as opposed to Bandana Dee. Sorry Deeple, I just don't think Bandana Dee would contribute enough to the overall balance of the game, even if he would be super fun to play. Of course, I do believe that both will make it in eventually. And if either make it in via the ballot, it'll obviously be Bandana Dee.
So when you speak about gameplay and game balance, do you come with the authority of being able to tell me what exactly Magolor would do to further contribute unique gameplay and balance the roster?

As a current Game Design Major at Webster University, I beg to differ, so I'd like to hear your side of all this "bringing things to the table". Gameplay potential analysis versus gameplay potential analysis. Please explain to me what the core of his playstyle nobody else has and the resulting match-ups Magolor will have because of it.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm a bit late on this, but... @ IAmMetaKnight IAmMetaKnight I'm not going to ask again, if you really just came here to subtly tell us to vote for Magalor, please go back to your respective thread and talk about him there. That would be best for all of us. We know you don't want Waddle Dee, so go to the thread about the character you do want. Trust me, we've tried to convince you and giving you reasons why we want Waddle Dee but nothing's worked, so now I'll have to ask you one final time to quietly leave. You can come back once you've changed your ways. Thank you for understanding.
Once again, thank you @ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker , you always know the best ways to deal with these things!
But I'm getting off topic. So back on topic!

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
King K.Rool. Multiple fights with different weapons and abilities. Dixie, hair, gliding, bubblegum gun. Cranky. Cane. Bandana Dee. Spear wielder. Magolor. Magic. Robin. Magic
>.> Are you saying the first spear user won't bring anything unique to smash...

By that logic, Magolor wouldn't bring anything new to the table for using magic :T

"Even if the moveset isn't shared with any other fighter, that doesn't mean it'll bring something new to the tables."

You basically contradicted yourself in your own opinion.

We have 2 magic users, what would make Magolor so special?

Kinda sounds like you have a bias against Bandanna.

We have 2 magic users, what would make Magolor so special?
You guys missed what I said entirely. I still don't think BD would be more unique than Magolor. And I don't think it's because I'm biased towards him.

The fact that Zelda and Robin (and Ness and Lucas, if you wanna count them) use forms of magic doesn't downgrade Magolor's potential. Zelda has a unique projectile, being able to challenge from a distance, has a reflector that can be used to rapidly wrack up damage, and has a teleportation spell with massive knockback. This gives her potential to fight from any distance, though primarily long range. I'd say she's best at dishing out chunks of damage at a range, making her best at chipping. Robin has a chargeable projectile with multiple stages, each stage having multiple unique applications. A fire spell to disrupt movement. A wind spell to attack effectively from above and spike. But each spell has limited uses, making Robin ineffective at chipping. But unlike Zelda, he's not incompetent up-close. All these qualities make him a strategic zoner.

The above arguments prove one important thing: Robin and Zelda have drastically different playstyles. The possibilities of what can be done with Magic users are endless. Traditional melee weapons are much more limited, however.

The reason I don't believe BD has potential to be unique is because what a spear is at the core is a melee weapon with unparalleled range. There's not a whole lot they can do with that. We already have a ton of ranged melee weapon users, with one more underway via DLC. Link fills the role of destructive and versatile, being able to adapt to many different playstyles, whether it be power-housing, chipping, or a combination of both. Marth fills the role of spacer with his tipper mechanic, forcing players to mind their distance if they want to play him effectively. Meta Knight fills the role of rush-down close-combatant. In Brawl, he filled the role of undefeatable, with his combination of speed, priority, and strength. If BD were to be included, Meta Knight would be the one out of the bunch he's be least like. Lastly, Ike fills the role of ranged power-house.

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of spaces for Bandana Dee to fill. He certainly has potential to have a unique moveset, but most of the balance contribution he would give would be shared with Ike, Marth, and Link. I suppose the only way to save him from the gutter are the specials. But if you make them center on spear tossing, or using various gadgets the Waddle Dees have used throughout the generations, you have a smaller, lighter, less powerful Link with a bit more range. If you give him the tipper, which would be completely pointless given the spear's nature as a thrusting weapon, he would be be a smaller, lighter, less powerful Marth who would most likely have a few projectiles. He might be able to be pulled off then. I don't think he would work as a powerhouse or even a glass cannon, so that's pretty much out of the question.

This isn't to crush your hopes for his inclusion though; he could still be pulled off. Sakuri has exceeded our expectations before. The only way I think Bandana Dee could be reasonable to include is if Sakuri goes and gives him some unexpected but reasonably creative quirk with his specials. But I really can't see that happening. Sorry, deeple.

Magolor, on the other hand, has so much potential within reason. His playstyle could be that of an annoying trickster, which would be absolutely perfect. For his up special, he could have some kind of mirror move which teleports him upwards. (or wherever you tilt the stick) If someone else is close by on the other side of the mirror, they could switch places with him. I can see Robin using Elwind offstage, and then Mags using his up special after Robin becomes helpless, sending Mags back to the stage, and Robin to his doom. His neutral special could be where he creates a black hole that sucks players towards it. He could compliment this by having smash attacks that work most effectively the closer you are to him, making the black hole the start of a deadly finisher combo. On top of that, it could suck in projectiles to grow in size and range. His down special could be a simple mirror or portal based reflector that deals damage similarly to Nayru's Love. A counter could work good, too. Lastly, his side special could be a teleportation move on the lines of Shadow Sneak or Dimensional Cape, but would have the movement range of Din's Fire. These, and the close range smash quirk would make Magolor an epic counter to most projectile-centric character's and rush-down character's. That is the kind of balance contribution I honestly, as someone who plays For Glory a lot, think the game would benefit from.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You guys missed what I said entirely. I still don't think BD would be more unique than Magolor. And I don't think it's because I'm biased towards him.

The fact that Zelda and Robin (and Ness and Lucas, if you wanna count them) use forms of magic doesn't downgrade Magolor's potential. Zelda has a unique projectile, being able to challenge from a distance, has a reflector that can be used to rapidly wrack up damage, and has a teleportation spell with massive knockback. This gives her potential to fight from any distance, though primarily long range. I'd say she's best at dishing out chunks of damage at a range, making her best at chipping. Robin has a chargeable projectile with multiple stages, each stage having multiple unique applications. A fire spell to disrupt movement. A wind spell to attack effectively from above and spike. But each spell has limited uses, making Robin ineffective at chipping. But unlike Zelda, he's not incompetent up-close. All these qualities make him a strategic zoner.

The above arguments prove one important thing: Robin and Zelda have drastically different playstyles. The possibilities of what can be done with Magic users are endless. Traditional melee weapons are much more limited, however.

The reason I don't believe BD has potential to be unique is because what a spear is at the core is a melee weapon with unparalleled range. There's not a whole lot they can do with that. We already have a ton of ranged melee weapon users, with one more underway via DLC. Link fills the role of destructive and versatile, being able to adapt to many different playstyles, whether it be power-housing, chipping, or a combination of both. Marth fills the role of spacer with his tipper mechanic, forcing players to mind their distance if they want to play him effectively. Meta Knight fills the role of rush-down close-combatant. In Brawl, he filled the role of undefeatable, with his combination of speed, priority, and strength. If BD were to be included, Meta Knight would be the one out of the bunch he's be least like. Lastly, Ike fills the role of ranged power-house.

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of spaces for Bandana Dee to fill. He certainly has potential to have a unique moveset, but most of the balance contribution he would give would be shared with Ike, Marth, and Link. I suppose the only way to save him from the gutter are the specials. But if you make them center on spear tossing, or using various gadgets the Waddle Dees have used throughout the generations, you have a smaller, lighter, less powerful Link with a bit more range. If you give him the tipper, which would be completely pointless give the spear's nature as a thrusting weapon, he would be be a smaller, lighter, less powerful Marth who would most likely have a few projectiles. He might be able to be pulled off then. I don't think would work as a powerhouse or even a glass cannon, so that's pretty much out of the question.

This isn't to crush your hopes for his inclusion though; he could still be pulled off. Sakuri has exceeded our expectations before. The only way I think Bandana Dee could be reasonable to include is if Sakuri goes and gives him some unexpected but reasonably creative quirk with his specials. But I really can't see that happening. Sorry, deeple.

Magolor, on the other hand, has so much potential within reason. His playstyle could be that of an annoying trickster, which would be absolutely perfect. Fore his up special, he could have some kind of mirror move which teleports him upwards. (or wherever you tilt the stick) If someone else is close by on the other side of the mirror, they could switch places with him. I can see Robin using Elwind offstage, and then Mags using his up special after Robin becomes helpless, sending Mags back to the stage, and Robin to his doom. His neutral special could be where he creates a black hole that sucks players towards it. He could compliment this by having smash attacks that work most effectively the closer you are to him, making the black hole the start of a deadly finisher combo. On top of that, it could suck in projectiles to grow is size and range. His down special could be a simple mirror or portal based reflector that deals damage similarly to Nayru's Love. A counter could work good, too. Lastly, his side special could be a teleportation move on the lines of Shadow Sneak or Dimensional Cape, but would have the movement range of Din's Fire. These, and the close range smash quirk would make Magolor an epic counter to most projectile-centric character's and rush-down character's. That is the kind of balance contribution I honestly, as someone who plays For Glory a lot, think the game would benefit from.
Did you not hear what I said? :cry: This is the final time and the last time I'll say it, stop trying to get us to vote for Magalor. Please.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of spaces for Bandana Dee to fill. He certainly has potential to have a unique moveset, but most of the balance contribution he would give would be shared with Ike, Marth, and Link. I suppose the only way to save him from the gutter are the specials. But if you make them center on spear tossing, or using various gadgets the Waddle Dees have used throughout the generations, you have a smaller, lighter, less powerful Link with a bit more range. If you give him the tipper, which would be completely pointless give the spear's nature as a thrusting weapon, he would be be a smaller, lighter, less powerful Marth who would most likely have a few projectiles. He might be able to be pulled off then. I don't think would work as a powerhouse or even a glass cannon, so that's pretty much out of the question.

Magolor, on the other hand, has so much potential within reason. His playstyle could be that of an annoying trickster, which would be absolutely perfect. Fore his up special, he could have some kind of mirror move which teleports him upwards. (or wherever you tilt the stick) If someone else is close by on the other side of the mirror, they could switch places with him. I can see Robin using Elwind offstage, and then Mags using his up special after Robin becomes helpless, sending Mags back to the stage, and Robin to his doom. His neutral special could be where he creates a black hole that sucks players towards it. He could compliment this by having smash attacks that work most effectively the closer you are to him, making the black hole the start of a deadly finisher combo. On top of that, it could suck in projectiles to grow is size and range. His down special could be a simple mirror or portal based reflector that deals damage similarly to Nayru's Love. A counter could work good, too. Lastly, his side special could be a teleportation move on the lines of Shadow Sneak or Dimensional Cape, but would have the movement range of Din's Fire. These, and the close range smash quirk would make Magolor an epic counter to most projectile-centric character's and rush-down character's. That is the kind of balance contribution I honestly, as someone who plays For Glory a lot, think the game would benefit from.
All I say is "My character is TOTALLY ORIGINAL IN EVERY SINGLE WAY and your character could have stuff from other characters" I'm sorry, Magolor teleports and shoots magic orbs. BDee throws spears, something not done yet. Let's look at Shulk. He's quite similar to Ganondorf, best not to go full aggro as the start up and end lag isn't good. That doesn't mean they are remotely similar. Some characters simply play similar to others and that shouldn't be used against them. I like Magolor but if you don't won't BDee...Why bother going to his fans telling him to vote for the character you want instead of, y'know, BDee. It's like asking K.Rool fans to vote for Dixie, or Isaac fans to vote for Chrono

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Did you not hear what I said? :cry: This is the final time and the last time I'll say it, stop trying to get us to vote for Magalor. Please.
With all due respect, I'm not here to get you to change your vote to Magolor. I'm here as die-hard Kirby fanboy trying to realistically and logically argue about what Kirby reps would be most reasonable to include. If anything I've said has offended you, I sincerely apologize. But you need to understand that I'm not here to antagonize anyone. Just because you don't like what you're hearing doesn't make me an aggressor or a detractor, or whatever you wanna label me. I hope we can all be a little bit more mature about this in the future.

Now that I've got that cleared up, I'd like to thank you for taking the responsibility and initiative you believe will benefit the thread. ;) You're awesome.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
With all due respect, I'm not here to get you to change your vote to Magolor. I'm here as die-hard Kirby fanboy trying to realistically and logically argue about what Kirby reps would be most reasonable to include.
With all due respect, I call bull****. I doubt that Magolor would be considered over BDee unless he's more popular in the ballot. More games and more important role in said games. One-off villain. Sidekick

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
All I see is things to shoot Bandanna Dee lower than Magolor.

It doesn't make sense that another magic user would be more unique than the FIRST spear user.

Also...please STOP spreading Magolor propaganda all over the thread..you have a thread for that.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Magolor, on the other hand, has so much potential within reason. His playstyle could be that of an annoying trickster, which would be absolutely perfect. For his up special, he could have some kind of mirror move which teleports him upwards. (or wherever you tilt the stick) If someone else is close by on the other side of the mirror, they could switch places with him. I can see Robin using Elwind offstage, and then Mags using his up special after Robin becomes helpless, sending Mags back to the stage, and Robin to his doom. His neutral special could be where he creates a black hole that sucks players towards it. He could compliment this by having smash attacks that work most effectively the closer you are to him, making the black hole the start of a deadly finisher combo. On top of that, it could suck in projectiles to grow in size and range. His down special could be a simple mirror or portal based reflector that deals damage similarly to Nayru's Love. A counter could work good, too. Lastly, his side special could be a teleportation move on the lines of Shadow Sneak or Dimensional Cape, but would have the movement range of Din's Fire. These, and the close range smash quirk would make Magolor an epic counter to most projectile-centric character's and rush-down character's. That is the kind of balance contribution I honestly, as someone who plays For Glory a lot, think the game would benefit from.
I suppose that gives me an idea of what you're going for.

The main problem with that moveset you described is that it not only constantly compared itself to other characters' moves, but that "annoying trickster" is an aesthetic playstyle, not a gameplay-orientated one. You're comparing the similar usage of magic as something that can still be different from the other magic users altogether, yet you still end up describing it as having similar properties to the other magic users in the first place. In a nutshell, to you, Magolor is:
  • A buffed Farore's Wind
  • An anti-projectile gimmick, given that the black hole either just makes it easier to punish Magolor unless the black hole stunned and pulled the opponent in, in which case that sounds notably unbalanced
  • A counter or reflector, aka two of the most commonly shared moves of the entire roster
  • A buffed Shadow Sneak
What is the general direction and goal of this moveset? What acts as Magolor's skill ceiling? What separates it from using other projectile-countering characters like Zelda, Fox, and Villager? None of that gets answered from what you described to me.

Let me pull an excerpt from an essay I wrote some time ago. This segment goes over the gameplay potential of Bandana Waddle Dee.
Before we get to the interesting stuff, I just want to start with the basics about Bandana Waddle Dee. Unlike the other three Kirby characters, Bandana clearly lacks aerial mobility the way they do, which immediately sets him apart from the other characters as a grounded-fighter moreso than an aerial fighter. His body-type is much like that of Kirby's, meaning he would be lightweight, somewhat fast, and small. If I were to guess, he would be in the middle-ground of Kirby and Meta Knight in regards to the former two, and being around their exact size for the latter.

Moving on, the spear he wields screams fighting ability. Unlike the various other Waddle Dees that merely waddle and jump their way into death by contact, Bandana has shown extremely viable fighting prowess with the spear. Speaking beyond a moveset that can almost directly translate from Kirby's Return to Dream Land into Smash Bros., Bandana's use of the spear heavily emphasizes on quick thrusts that rely on speed and precision. In this way, Bandana could have moves with long hitboxes, but are extremely narrow and are easy to avoid in the air as a result. This would create a sort of difficulty curve for Bandana that focuses more on the moves themselves rather than any type of mechanic like Rosalina's or Little Mac's. By playing with the positioning, timing, and precision of attacks rather than the frequency of them in mind, Waddle Dee would fulfill the role as a small character that requires patience above all else compared to the beat-down and spammy characters like Pikachu, Kirby, Olimar, Little Mac, and Meta Knight.

Another idea comes to mind to make Bandana a character that can easily ground opponents. As a sort of antithesis to the other Kirby characters, Bandana's long reach and viability on the ground could create the dynamic of moves that do well at beating aerial characters without being an aerial character himself. Having a spike effect at the end of his spear would further promote the positional and patient style of play mentioned before, as doing this can send characters like Jigglypuff and Wario flying down so that he can proceed to combo on the ground. Contrarily, while Bandana would be the better grounded fighter than the aerial opponents he's intended to pick off, he could be a less-than-amazing ground fighter compared to other characters in order to create an interesting spectrum of match-ups for Bandana Dee. While the aerial characters of higher-tiers like Meta Knight and Captain Falcon find themselves having difficulty against a counter-pick Bandana Waddle Dee, other grounded fighters from lower-tiers such as Ness and Donkey Kong will immediately find a niche in being able to counter the alleged metagame's counter. In having a playstyle like this, Bandana Waddle Dee not only keeps the game's balance in check, but creates a smaller distance between character tiers and thus would bring more viability to other characters if Bandana himself is viable.

In other words, in terms of gameplay, Bandana Waddle Dee would:
  • Be easy to implement with a moveset that fits perfectly within Smash Bros.
  • Be a character with a low difficulty curve and a high skill ceiling
  • Create a new playstyle that other lightweight characters are not used to
  • Balance the roster in its match-ups
Notice how it didn't focus on explaining what the moves themselves would be similar to. It focused on BWD in a general perspective--what the character's playstyle would be--and immediately set itself apart from countless other characters. He has no gimmicks. No flashy tools. No special abilities. He's purely a character of fundamentals, something that fits perfectly in a Smash Bros. game, and the fact that no character makes more sense to have those particular fundamentals than he does just goes to show that Bandana Waddle Dee would undoubtedly be more unique. An anti-aerial polarizer from a series of aerial characters. That immediately brings more to the table than just "annoying trickster", imo.

By turning this into a moment to talk about BWD's gameplay, hopefully I've justified continuing to talk about this, by the way. More importantly, I'm hoping that this discussion can either end here, or if it does continue, have a peaceful and objective tone to it.

Edit: This really shows its age of before Smash 4's release for the reason that I listed Ness as one of this game's hypothetical low-tier characters. :laugh:

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
With all due respect, I call bull****. I doubt that Magolor would be considered over BDee unless he's more popular in the ballot. More games and more important role in said games. One-off villain. Sidekick
I've never denied that BD is going to get in via the ballot. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's a very reasonable conclusion. And on the note of that temper, bare in mind that you're among friends. No one is here to undermine your views. I'm just here to have a healthy debate regarding who should be included.

Oh god, just take that conversation to a PM.
Kinda has gotten out of hand... but I don't think it would help to take it to a PM. I've got a feeling in my gut that nobody here is gonna condone my logical outlook. (logical outlook =/= Magolor is better than BD. It means I have a reason to believe what I do.) The only way they will be satisfied is with the drawing of my blood. Sorry for lettin' it get so insane. :p

The main problem with that moveset you described is that it not only constantly compared itself to other characters' moves, but that "annoying trickster" is an aesthetic playstyle, not a gameplay-orientated one. You're comparing the similar usage of magic as something that can still be different from the other magic users altogether, yet you still end up describing it as having similar properties to the other magic users in the first place. In a nutshell, to you, Magolor is:
  • A buffed Farore's Wind
  • An anti-projectile gimmick, given that the black hole either just makes it easier to punish Magolor unless the black hole stunned and pulled the opponent in, in which case that sounds notably unbalanced
  • A counter or reflector, aka two of the most commonly shared moves of the entire roster
  • A buffed Shadow Sneak
What is the general direction and goal of this moveset? What acts as Magolor's skill ceiling? What separates it from using other projectile-countering characters like Zelda, Fox, and Villager? None of that gets answered from what you described to me.

Let me pull an excerpt from an essay I wrote some time ago. This segment goes over the gameplay potential of Bandana Waddle Dee.

Notice how it didn't focus on explaining what the moves themselves would be similar to. It focused on BWD in a general perspective--what the character's playstyle would be--and immediately set itself apart from countless other characters. He has no gimmicks. No flashy tools. No special abilities. He's purely a character of fundamentals, something that fits perfectly in a Smash Bros. game, and the fact that no character makes more sense to have those particular fundamentals than he does just goes to show that Bandana Waddle Dee would undoubtedly be more unique. An anti-aerial polarizer from a series of aerial characters. That immediately brings more to the table than just "annoying trickster", imo.

By turning this into a moment to talk about BWD's gameplay, hopefully I've justified continuing to talk about this, by the way. More importantly, I'm hoping that this discussion can either end here, or if it does continue, have a peaceful and objective tone to it.

Edit: This really shows its age of before Smash 4's release for the reason that I listed Ness as one of this game's hypothetical low-tier characters. :laugh:
Finally. Someone willing to sit down and have a healthy conversation.

I'd like to argue in my defence, but I gotta go right now. I'll be back in a little. Hopefully things won't be as chaotic when I do. :laugh:

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I've never denied that BD is going to get in via the ballot. All I'm saying is that I don't think he's a very reasonable conclusion. And on the note of that temper, bare in mind that you're among friends. No one is here to undermine your views. I'm just here to have a healthy debate regarding who should be included.

Kinda has gotten out of hand... but I don't think it would help to take it to a PM. I've got a feeling in my gut that nobody here is gonna condone my logical outlook. (logical outlook =/= Magolor is better than BD. It means I have a reason to believe what I do.) The only way they will be satisfied is with the drawing of my blood. Sorry for lettin' it get so insane. :p
Too late.

The only way we will be happy is if you stop trying so heavily to make us thing Magolor is suuu unique.

Everytime there is a completely different situation going on you bring Magolor into the waterworks and being writing six year long summaries on how "unique" he is....

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well golly. We're just going down the list of Kirby Characters to fight over in the Bandana Dee thread huh? Uhh let me think of one..

S1R K1BBLE FOR SM4SH GAHYS!

--------------------------------

(As a side update, a bit unrelated, but the Character analysis section has been added to my help thread. It contains somewhat of a character categories thing (inspired by GRC's of course!), as well as some other helpful points. I will be updating and improving it over time as well ^_^)

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
This is what I wrote the Thursday Thoughts for, guys. :urg:

The only Kirby characters to genuinely stand out for Smash Bros. are Gooey, Daroach, Magolor, Dark Matter, and Bandana Waddle Dee. The former two have only had 2 appearances in games made over 4 or more years ago and effectively have zero fan support, so the only choice really comes down to Magolor, Dark Matter, and Bandana Waddle Dee... And given the name of this thread's title, I'll call it a hunch that BWD is the one we prefer.

Literally every single other notable Kirby character is either:
  1. A common enemy (i.e. Knuckle Joe)
  2. A one-off appearance (i.e. Prince Fluff, Adeleine, and Taranza)
  3. The one-off villain of a game that got remade (i.e. Nightmare, Marx)
  4. A recurring boss (i.e. Kracko)
  5. One of Kirby's Animal Friends
It's no wonder the character choice outside of those other three is a barren wasteland.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
This is what I wrote the Thursday Thoughts for, guys. :urg:

The only Kirby characters to genuinely stand out for Smash Bros. are Gooey, Daroach, Magolor, Dark Matter, and Bandana Waddle Dee. The former two have only had 2 appearances in games made over 4 or more years ago and effectively have zero fan support, so the only choice really comes down to Magolor, Dark Matter, and Bandana Waddle Dee... And given the name of this thread's title, I'll call it a hunch that BWD is the one we prefer.

Literally every single other notable Kirby character is either:
  1. A common enemy (i.e. Knuckle Joe)
  2. A one-off appearance (i.e. Prince Fluff, Adeleine, and Taranza)
  3. The one-off villain of a game that got remade (i.e. Nightmare, Marx)
  4. A recurring boss (i.e. Kracko)
  5. One of Kirby's Animal Friends
It's no wonder the character choice outside of those other three is a barren wasteland.
Heh, I was more joking with mine, as if it weren't obvious! ^_^

I'd say the Thursday thoughts thing you wrote was very accurate, and very informative. It also really gives a good idea of priority as well. :3

D

Deleted member

.................................So how is are facebook bandana waddle dee support account doing guys?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
.................................So how is are facebook bandana waddle dee support account doing guys?
From our first week, we've made 29 likes. There's also this one guy that kept messaging me, showing me stuff he made in support of Bandana Waddle Dee and all this trivia and moveset stuff about him... I love the enthusiasm, but I kept telling him that he'd be putting a lot more of that energy to use if he joined the forum and brought it all to this thread!
So anything coming out today for friday?
Just a summary of what the past week was like and what we have going on for the future. A re-cap, if you will.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Just a summary of what the past week was like and what we have going on for the future. A re-cap, if you will.
sounds good.

Do you know whats sad? If bdee is confirmed sunday, we wont be doing all of this. Moveset ideas, music loving, hoping, wishing, straw grasping. All the fan stuff disappears... Man, that will be hard :/

Top Bottom