• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Bandanna Dee has actually appeared 7 times.

I also appreciate Dark Matter on that list.
Oh shoot, I forgot about Dream Collection, which is strange considering I listed Magolor as being in there...

I suppose my main line of thought is that I only count the extra challenges as the portion of the collection that counts as a new game. Otherwise, he only appears on the title screen. If we count Kirby Super Star in there, then Dark Matter gets an extra appearance as well.

Ah well. I'll cover his presence in Kirby's Dream Collection briefly on an upcoming Tuesday Trivia anyway! The main points still got out, yes?

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I'm making a video for all our Bandanna Dee supporters on my videos (not many but still)

It's regarding the Waddle Week Schedule

Is it possible I can get a better name?

EDIT: Yes, It was such a pleasure to read your article.

WAIT WAIT does this mean Dark Matter could be considered the SECOND most reasonable candidate

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
WAIT WAIT does this mean Dark Matter could be considered the SECOND most reasonable candidate
Honestly? I think it does.

If we get a hypothetical Dream Land 4 with Dark Matter's return after Bandana Waddle Dee is added as Smash 4 DLC, I can, without a single doubt, see Dark Matter getting the same kind of support King K. Rool does today... The only difference being that, while DKC is starved for more characters, Kirby would already have plenty, meaning there might be that type of detraction for him/it/them.

I wish who Dark Matter is was an easier thing to explain.

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Honestly? I think it does.

If we get a hypothetical Dream Land 4 with Dark Matter's return after Bandana Waddle Dee is added as Smash 4 DLC, I can, without a single doubt, see Dark Matter getting the same kind of support King K. Rool does today... The only difference being that, while DKC is starved for more characters, Kirby would already have plenty, meaning there might be that type of detraction for him/it/them.

I wish who Dark Matter is was an easier thing to explain.
Man, It would be so difficult to make counterarguments against him if we get a Dreamland 4 >.>

What can people say:
Too many swordsmen (we don't even need his sword form to)

He's really unique :)

Ok, I need to calm down this is a Bandanna Dee support thread.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Its completely very unnecessary.
I'm just dedeecated.
I almost forgot to vote for Magolor. If I didn't remind myself when I did, I can guarantee I would've gone the whole eight months (or however long) without ever voting.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You can make a twitter surprisingly quick, I did it last week to support the Dee, and it was rather painless. Although if you still don't want to, you don't have to :p.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Hmmmm. I've been thinking. People say that the Kirby series has all the reps that it needs. That's not entirely true, but people are asking for Daisy, Waluigi, Geno, etc. Honestly, that makes no sense. Why can a series with pretty much 16 reps need more, but a series with only 3 doesn't? I'm not downgrading those characters. However, if you're saying that Mario has to have more reps, but Starfox, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Kirby can't have at least one more, then that's obviously bias. And trust me: there's LOADS of bias in the Smash community. Seriously, Mario, Pokemon,Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus are set. They've had enough hype for one game. The problem is, I don't think Sakurai will look past that bias. There's too much of it. I have faith that Bandana Dee will get in, along with King K. Rool, Wolf, etc. However, I can't wait 6 more years for that to happen. If that's going to happen, it needs to happen now, while SSB4 is still piloting the hype train. Question is, will there be enough hype to fuel that train?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hmmmm. I've been thinking. People say that the Kirby series has all the reps that it needs. That's not entirely true, but people are asking for Daisy, Waluigi, Geno, etc. Honestly, that makes no sense. Why can a series with pretty much 16 reps need more, but a series with only 3 doesn't? I'm not downgrading those characters. However, if you're saying that Mario has to have more reps, but Starfox, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Kirby can't have at least one more, then that's obviously bias. And trust me: there's LOADS of bias in the Smash community. Seriously, Mario, Pokemon,Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus are set. They've had enough hype for one game. The problem is, I don't think Sakurai will look past that bias. There's too much of it. I have faith that Bandana Dee will get in, along with King K. Rool, Wolf, etc. However, I can't wait 6 more years for that to happen. If that's going to happen, it needs to happen now, while SSB4 is still piloting the hype train. Question is, will there be enough hype to fuel that train?
Except any Mario character supporters get the "too many reps" treatment. I'm getting tired so I'll put it bluntly: Saying that a series has too many reps is a stupid argument. People should like a character for who they are instead of what series they are from.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Just gonna leave this here
Kid Icarus has 2.9 Million sales and 3 reps, Kirby has 34 Million and 3 reps, Donkey Kong has 2 and over 70 sales. No bias here, totally none at all. It's totally not like if you did the same treatment of reps per sale to Kirby it would have literally 35 repsor anything, this isn't a giant over inflation at all, no! It's definitely not a possibility that Kid Icarus is overrepresented or anything, I mean if it gets 4 reps, then Kirby should technically have 46 reps which isn't absurdly high at all or anything. This isn't ridiculous at all, nope, not inflated reps per sales at all. I mean, Mario only has 56 million sales per rep, and Pokemon has 45 million sales per rep, while Kid Icarus has 0.9 million sales per rep. This is completely fair in every way, shape, and form.
Kirby has 11.3333333333 million sales per rep if you need a comparison, compare this to kid Icarus and fire Emblem and I think it's pretty obvious that Kirby is in dire need of another, Pokemon and Mario are already pretty large like you stated, but I honestly can see them (and want for Pokemon) getting another rep, simply because they are massive, utterly massive.

Fire emblem and Kid Icarus are pretty bloated and are (imo) unfairly represented for their size, if were going to debate for our hero's inclusion we should always bring them up, so we have a nice moral pedestal above anyone from there not named Roy, Ivysaur, Squirtle, or Pichu (Veteran shenanigans :p).

Edit: Forgot to mention that sales aren't absolute, it should only be applied loosely otherwise we'd literally have 500 something Mario reps, if you gave them the same stats as Kid Icarus characters, which obviously wouldn't happen, or be acceptable.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603

We're not doing that.

We're not treating sales like should mean a thing in allotting characters. You're not about to tell me EarthBound doesn't deserve both Ness and Lucas due to its low sales.

Sales have nothing to do with characters.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord

We're not doing that.

We're not treating sales like should mean a thing in allotting characters. You're not about to tell me EarthBound doesn't deserve both Ness and Lucas due to its low sales.

Yeah... if Sakurai and his team had to do that, considering how much he overworks already, his arms would look like :4kirby:'s.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Kid Icarus has 2.9 Million sales and 3 reps, Kirby has 34 Million and 3 reps, Donkey Kong has 2 and over 70 sales. No bias here, totally none at all. It's totally not like if you did the same treatment of reps per sale to Kirby it would have literally 35 repsor anything, this isn't a giant over inflation at all, no! It's definitely not a possibility that Kid Icarus is overrepresented or anything, I mean if it gets 4 reps, then Kirby should technically have 46 reps which isn't absurdly high at all or anything. This isn't ridiculous at all, nope, not inflated reps per sales at all. I mean, Mario only has 56 million sales per rep, and Pokemon has 45 million sales per rep, while Kid Icarus has 0.9 million sales per rep. This is completely fair in every way, shape, and form.
Kirby has 11.3333333333 million sales per rep if you need a comparison, compare this to kid Icarus and fire Emblem and I think it's pretty obvious that Kirby is in dire need of another, Pokemon and Mario are already pretty large like you stated, but I honestly can see them (and want for Pokemon) getting another rep, simply because they are massive, utterly massive.

Fire emblem and Kid Icarus are pretty bloated and are (imo) unfairly represented for their size, if were going to debate for our hero's inclusion we should always bring them up, so we have a nice moral pedestal above anyone from there not named Roy, Ivysaur, Squirtle, or Pichu (Veteran shenanigans :p).
Even as an FE fanboy, I can attest to this. It's not that I think FE has one too many reps, (which I do :4lucina:,) it's that I was severely disappointed by the lack of Kirby newcomers. After learning of Robin and Lucina's inclusion, I was pretty darn certain that Kirby would get at least one more rep. I was expecting, with all things considered, two more Kirby reps. I was utterly shocked when I saw the complete roster. I was very satisfied with it, but I couldn't stand the lack of a fourth or fifth Kirby rep. (and one other thing. :4mewtwo:) Here's to hoping we'll get another rep via DLC, and another one in Smash five.

That having been said, the only absolutely necessary characters to have in to represent Kirby are the ones we have. :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight: It's kinda shocking that the latter two weren't in Melee. (yes I'm aware of Sakuri's reasoning for not putting them in.) I'm aware of BD's status as a rising star, but I still think it's too early for him (or Magolor :sadeyes:) to get in on the default roster. If he were to get in Smash without the assistance of the Smash Ballot, it would be Smash five for certain. I do believe that a new Kirby rep could possibly come via DLC. (though nowhere near as certainly as K. Rool) But as much as I wanted one and made a big deal out of it, I don't think the lack of a new Kirby rep was that big a deal.

DK on the other hand... Don't think I need to say anything there.

Still gonna support Mags to the end though. Never give up hope.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I'm loving how much everyone is pushing for the Dee. I spend about 15 min a day looking for BDee tweets, and favoriting them or retweeting them. The Wordpress is great as well. And boy, all of these people are so new. As someone who has been here for over a year, and only joined Smashboards for the BDEE thread, it warms my heart to see how far the #BandanaBrigade has grown. If we get a smashified for BDee, I will legit cry. I became a kirby fan because of this character, and its been a beautiful adventure.

Never give up fellas. #WaddleOn #ShowYourFightingSpear-it

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
What if roy gets confirmed on the 14th or at E3?

Do you guys think FE would be over represented?

Do you think we need 3 Marths and 5 FE characters in one game?

Honestly representation makes no sense. Kirby is pretty much the 4th most popular nintendo series yet only has 3 reps, the same amount of kid icarus characters, kid icarus only has 3 games. Kirby has over 25. Metroid has quite a few games too and is fairly popular. Yet only has 2 reps (both the same character too). Donkey kong also sees this weird thing too, with only 2 reps and quite a lot of games (donkey is even more popular than Metroid, and almost or even more popular than kirby).

Pikmin, 3 games, 1 rep.
Kid icarus, 3 games, 3 reps?

It makes no sense to me.

While fairly popular series like Pokémon, Mario, and LoZ have quite a few reps based on popularity, the other series in this game don't make sense. Do you guys think nintendo push Sakurai and his team to make certain characters instead of others? It would explain why the top 3 series have the most characters. While other series are just completley random with representation. What do you guys think?

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi

Honestly representation makes no sense. Kirby is pretty much the 4th most popular nintendo series yet only has 3 reps, the same amount of kid icarus characters, kid icarus only has 3 games. Kirby has over 25. Metroid has quite a few games too and is fairly popular. Yet only has 2 reps (both the same character too). Donkey kong also sees this weird thing too, with only 2 reps and quite a lot of games (donkey is even more popular than Metroid, and almost or even more popular than kirby).

Pikmin, 3 games, 1 rep.

It makes no sense to me.

While fairly popular series like Pokémon, Mario, and LoZ have quite a few reps based on popularity, the other series in this game don't make sense. Do you guys think nintendo push Sakurai and his team to make certain characters instead of others? It would explain why the top 3 series have the most characters. While other series are just completley random with representation. What do you guys think?
Yes, I feel Fire Emblem has too many reps, add one more rep and I might just lose it.
Sakurai is really weird with his character selection to me at least

Yes, if Nintendo really thinks they can make more money of Smash than they will.
I'm currently not planning on buying Lucas because I share no interest in him, like previously stated Nintendo really has to bring it on for them to make anything out of me :/ of course that can't be said for other people but in short YES I think they will push Sakurai.

Honestly the best thing Sakurai can do to prove he's not biased against modern Kirby is make Bandanna Dee or something to make the modern Kirby games look good.

and already after writing that sentence I can think...Bandanna Dee will mean so much more to me.

I'm going to be doing a reaction of the Smash Direct on Sunday...Hope Bandanna Dee gets in because not only will you be able to hear my real voice but hear me cry at the same time!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't that dream die when Dedede smashed it into oblivion and gave himself years of bad luck to come?
but that the beautifully thing my friend that would be the plot in the sequel game kirby would have to collect every single mirror piece again think of it like kirby nightmare in dream but this time dedede screw up.so that why I believe we are getting a sequel to Kirby and the amazing mirror

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

We're not doing that.

Thank you, you just allowed me to realize that I was wrong in some ways, perhaps many. You are absolutely right, sales aren't everything. Ness and Lucas both do deserve to be in Smash. But then, what do sales mean? They can't mean nothing, right? I mean a large series certainly should get more priority than a small one, right? Kirby certainly deserves more than Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus though, right? I feel like I just lost how to measure how important a series is :urg:. Forgive me and my idiocy.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I feel like instead of saying that other characters shouldn't be in, let's focus on getting our little soldier in! It's better to be big, than trying to get others to be small. Bandana Dee is a character that became big without pulling anyone down, or being pessimistic, and that's what makes him cute. Let's have our campaign maintain the same composure :)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Thank you, you just allowed me to realize that I was wrong in some ways, perhaps many. You are absolutely right, sales aren't everything. Ness and Lucas both do deserve to be in Smash. But then, what do sales mean? They can't mean nothing, right? I mean a large series certainly should get more priority than a small one, right? Kirby certainly deserves more than Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus though, right? I feel like I just lost how to measure how important a series is :urg:. Forgive me and my idiocy.
You're not an idiot. Sales are far from an important factor, but you at least had the slightest connection made. Sales themselves don't matter, but sales often go hand-in-hand with popularity. If a series like Mario or Pokemon sells a lot, it's popular. If a series is popular, it's bound to have some popular characters. And when a character itself is popular, that's what drives its demand for Smash Bros. In other words, if a series is popular and a financial success, that's fine and dandy, but if it lacks characters people are dying to see in Smash, then what difference does it make?

Kirby is a perfect example of that. Aside from Bandana Waddle Dee, just who else is there in the Kirby series? Dark Matter, maybe Magolor... That's about it. The Kirby series has always been popular because of how well it sells, but if it lacks popular characters, then what else does it even have to offer? With Dedede and Meta Knight in Smash Bros., aka by far the most popular characters of the series after Kirby himself, the series honestly has little choices left. Daroach's support is a waste-land, nobody could care any less for Gooey anymore, and plenty of other characters are just one-off Joes and Janes (which, in a series that literally has just as many games as all of Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Pikmin, and Mother combined, speaks for how obscure they'd be). After BWD, Magolor, and Dark Matter, the Kirby series would struggle to add the 35 or whatever reps it "deserves" because it doesn't have anything close to that number of Smash-worthy characters. No series does, not even behemoths like Mario and Zelda. It's exactly why there's no more outcries for any more Pokemon now that Mewtwo is back, and why Yoshi's Island has no other characters in Smash despite being old and popular enough to justify another character.

Sales are a means to an end. What matters most is the characters themselves. I don't care how many characters someone thinks Kirby deserves, if they add 20 Kirby reps and not a single one of them is the character I want to see in Smash Bros., then what's the friggin' point? Data isn't going to determine what DLC is popular, demographics is.

Let's also not forget that in the end, regardless of how some things are more deserved than others, Sakurai's the one still at the helm of Smash Bros. It's exactly why we have little to no post-2003 Kirby content in Smash Bros. and why Kid Icarus has more characters added in 2 Smash games than Donkey Kong has had in all 4.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I feel like my hopes for this Smash Mini Direct are way too high. I'm not overly hoping for Bandana Dee specifically, but I think I'm way too hopeful for a DLC newcomer (that's not FREAKING RYU)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like my hopes for this Smash Mini Direct are way too high. I'm not overly hoping for Bandana Dee specifically, but I think I'm way too hopeful for a DLC newcomer (that's not FREAKING RYU)
I really feel (:4shulk:) like Ryu would be announced at E3. I just feel like it makes sense with all the stuff going on at that time.
(I oppolagise for the Shulk joke but with Xenoblade Chronicles on the mind it's the first thing that popped into my head.)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm at least hoping for some kind of sign. I don't care if it's one song, just something to show that Sakurai knows who Bandanna Dee is.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I honestly think Ryu's reveal will be at EVO, it would be the perfect marketing trick. It isn't likely, but I think it's going to happen, just a gut feeling.
I'm at least hoping for some kind of sign. I don't care if it's one song, just something to show that Sakurai knows who Bandanna Dee is.

I think this would mean he at least knows who he is.:p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I honestly think Ryu's reveal will be at EVO, it would be the perfect marketing trick. It isn't likely, but I think it's going to happen, just a gut feeling.

I think this would mean he at least knows who he is.:p
And now you have a sign. A Magical Starsign. (Somehow I doubt anyone will get this.)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hey guys! How is everyone today?

In terms of the presentation I've definitely been wondering what we'll be getting...

I would assume it will be a pre-ballot fighter or two... but I'm still definitely curious of some things. Well we get new stages? songs? Either way, I really wish Sakurai would give us a larger run down on how the Ballot ticks..

Are the votes not going to be considered until the end, or will they be used from now till October?

How will they deal with troll votes? I don't just mean votes for Shrek or Goku either... For example, if someone spammed votes for say, a blooper, how would this be handled, I wonder... I mean on one hand they could throw them out. on another hand, they wouldn't be able to tell apart those that might actually "legitimately" want a character..

So many questions I have >_<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Anyway, in other news I'm probably going to add a character analysis section to my help thread.. I was especially inspired by GRC's talk of the order of priority for fighters. So keep an eye out for that! ^_^)

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Hey guys! How is everyone today?

In terms of the presentation I've definitely been wondering what we'll be getting...

I would assume it will be a pre-ballot fighter or two... but I'm still definitely curious of some things. Well we get new stages? songs? Either way, I really wish Sakurai would give us a larger run down on how the Ballot ticks..

Are the votes not going to be considered until the end, or will they be used from now till October?

How will they deal with troll votes? I don't just mean votes for Shrek or Goku either... For example, if someone spammed votes for say, a blooper, how would this be handled, I wonder... I mean on one hand they could throw them out. on another hand, they wouldn't be able to tell apart those that might actually "legitimately" want a character..

So many questions I have >_<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Anyway, in other news I'm probably going to add a character analysis section to my help thread.. I was especially inspired by GRC's talk of the order of priority for fighters. So keep an eye out for that! ^_^)
Well if that leak is true we will be getting DreamLand 64 soooo

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
OK, I'm back.

I noticed that some members here always fight (not only here, also in PMs) so... please stop with that.
MarioMeteor, you are a very good supporter, but please don't make other supporters mad or uncomfortable.
GRC is like, the best thing that has happened to this thread lately, he transformed it and our mentality for good.
So please don't fight, we need to be together.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276

Pikmin, 3 games, 1 rep.

It makes no sense to me.

Sakuri has stated a million times that popularity doesn't determine whether or not a character will get in. The primary determining factor is uniqueness. Palutena got in because she had potential. Alph didn't get in (as his own character) because there was and is close to nothing distinguishing him from Olimar.

The point to be made here is that Sakuri couldn't care less about how popular a series is; all he cares about is what that series has to offer. Let's be honest: do King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, or Cranky Kong have enough potential as playable fighters to land them in Smash as opposed to characters like Robin, Rosalina and Luma, or Little Mac?

Let's make something very clear: a moveset being possible to pull is NOT the same thing as said moveset being unique. Even if the moveset isn't shared with any other fighter, that doesn't mean it'll bring something new to the tables. That's why I support Magolor's inclusion as opposed to Bandana Dee. Sorry Deeple, I just don't think Bandana Dee would contribute enough to the overall balance of the game, even if he would be super fun to play. Of course, I do believe that both will make it in eventually. And if either make it in via the ballot, it'll obviously be Bandana Dee.

That having been said, I've never really taken Dark Pit or Lucina into consideration when arguing that their respective series have too many reps, given there nature as late additions. I would say the same about Dr Mario, but you know what they say: you can never have too many Mario reps. (I don't believe that, honestly)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakuri has stated a million times that popularity doesn't determine whether or not a character will get in. The primary determining factor is uniqueness. Palutena got in because she had potential. Alph didn't get in (as his own character) because there was and is close to nothing distinguishing him from Olimar.

The point to be made here is that Sakuri couldn't care less about how popular a series is; all he cares about is what that series has to offer. Let's be honest: do King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, or Cranky Kong have enough potential as playable fighters to land them in Smash as opposed to characters like Robin, Rosalina and Luma, or Little Mac?

Let's make something very clear: a moveset being possible to pull is NOT the same thing as said moveset being unique. Even if the moveset isn't shared with any other fighter, that doesn't mean it'll bring something new to the tables. That's why I support Magolor's inclusion as opposed to Bandana Dee. Sorry Deeple, I just don't think Bandana Dee would contribute enough to the overall balance of the game, even if he would be super fun to play. Of course, I do believe that both will make it in eventually. And if either make it in via the ballot, it'll obviously be Bandana Dee.

That having been said, I've never really taken Dark Pit or Lucina into consideration when arguing that their respective series have too many reps, given there nature as late additions. I would say the same about Dr Mario, but you know what they say: you can never have too many Mario reps. (I don't believe that, honestly)
King K.Rool. Multiple fights with different weapons and abilities. Dixie, hair, gliding, bubblegum gun. Cranky. Cane. Bandana Dee. Spear wielder. Magolor. Magic. Robin. Magic

Top Bottom