• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Who said anything about being nice to people? I only said to be polite, and calm about addressing detractors.. Hostility only makes things worse, and just compounds the problem. Going on all out wars only pisses people off, and turns people off. From my experiences, that method just doesn't work. It only turns people off to the point you are trying to make, and just causes flame wars.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to use a little bit of logic to break down arguments thrown against you. Instead everyone just likes to exchange curse words, and pile up the threads with garbage posts. You know where that takes threads? Straight to being locked.

That right there is one of the reasons I have tried to address the problem... everyone takes this stuff to heart, like they are being personally attacked, and they MUST verbally insult their "attackers" at all costs. Everyone always ends up over reacting and blowing things out of proportion.

Now I can't affect your decision, as you are your own person but.. perhaps if you would rather go the aggressive route, then maybe these threads really aren't your thing.

No one asked you to be nice to people. I myself just asked that everyone use a bit of common sense... I hope I don't come off as rude with this post. I wish you luck on your endeavors..

Anyways, I am overly exhausted, so I am heading out. Gn everyone.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Alright, I gotta be honest right now.

I don't know if I can stick to RtDL modding. Maybe I've just been setting unrealistic time frames for getting things done, but it's become an actual problem. I've been pushing myself to the breaking point, where most of my nights I'm up until 3~4AM working on the game to get things done, and only get around 2/3 hours of sleep a night. Like, it's starting to hurt so bad where I just start crying and want to lay down.

But, the thing is... why? Why am I going this far just to modify this game? I mean, there's barely anybody who cares about my work, so am I just doing this for self pleasure? This is where it especially gets odd, because I'm wondering if I'm hurting myself on purpose, just without thinking.

I mean, you know there's a problem when you spend over two hours trying to connect a regular door, a starting position and a key. Four hours put into trying to spawn a Super Ability's enemy with literally no outcome. Countless of crashes spent trying to get a dumb octopus to move? Why does HAL make their games to complicated?

I wonder if this is what it's like for HAL. Maybe they just do it for Kirby. Maybe I need to do it for Kirby. Maybe I AM doing it for Kirby.

So... all in all, Kirby.

I'LL HAVE STUFF DONE SOON I GUESS ; A ;

pls forgiv tyty

EDIT: I JUST ACCIDENTALLY SAVED OVER ALL STAGE 4 OF NUTTY NOON OMG NO

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think I'll take my shot at it.
Weight: Around Toon Link's.
Jump: Can jump 4 times, each one gets about as much height as Kirby's.
Speed: Slightly slower than Kirby.
Fall speed: Around Mii Swordfighter (slightly higher than Mario).

Ground attacks
Jab - Frantically pokes his spear forward. It works like Pikachu's jab: if you hold A, he'll keep stabbing. First stab does 3% and every other one does 1%.
Forward tilt - Pokes his spear forward with an angry look on his face. Has decent KO power, good range, but a good amount of cooldown. 9%.
Down tilt - Puts both feet together and slides forward, like the Slide Kick maneuver in the Kirby games. Moves Dee a short distance forward and can trip, if not simply launching opponents forward. Low knockback. 5%.
Up tilt - Stabs upwards twice. The second hit has all the knockback. The first hit does 3% and knocks opponents into the second, which does 6% and deals high knockback.
Dash attack - Falls face-first, like Dedede and Jigglypuff, but faster. 6% and knocks the opponent upwards. It has low ending lag, allowing for combos.
Forward smash - Opens his parasol in front of him. Has good range and knockback, but lacking in damage.
11% uncharged, 15% fully charged.
Down smash - Punches the ground, causing a shockwave that hits on both sides of him. Knocks opponents vertically and does 15% with great knockback. 20% fully charged. Has lots of freeze frames.
Up smash - Thrusts his parasol above him and opens it. Hits twice, like his up tilt. First hit does 8% and second hit does 8%, for a total of 16%. Both hits do 11% fully charged, for a total of 22%. Very high knockback, very high damage, very high ending lag.

Aerial attacks
Neutral air - Performs the Twinkle Star, just like Kirby. His spear magically disappears when he starts the move and reappears when he ends it. 10% at the start and 5% later.
Forward air - Dropkicks forward, similar to Jigglypuff. Does 6% and average knockback. Pretty fast.
Down air - Thrusts his Parasol below him and opens it. It has two hits and meteor smashes on the second. Kinda like Shulk's, but faster. First hit does 4% and second does 6%. 10% total.
Back air - Twirls his spear once then stabs it behind him. Has two hitboxes: the spearhead and the shaft. The head does 12% and has high knockback while the shaft does 8% and has ok knockback. Obviously, you want the former.
Up air - Leans backwards and opens his Parasol. This move slightly stalls Bandanna Dee and then gives him a small boost upwards. The move itself is very powerful, too. Deals 10% and heavy knockback if the opponent is right above Dee. If it hits on the sides, it will do 5% and semi-spike the opponent weakly. Can be used for recovery.

Grab & Throws
Grab - Uses his free hand to hook the opponent. Short range.
Forward throw - Flips the opponent and slams them into the dust, like the Suplex ability. 10% and good, diagonal knockback.
Down throw - Uses the Fury Stomp technique, similar to Kirby and Meta Knight. Does 10% and has knockback similar to the aforementioned two.
Back throw - German Suplexes the opponent. Does 6% and low knockback, allowing for combos.
Up throw - Performs the Moon Drop (I think that's what it's called) technique, similar to Kirby and Meta Knight. Does 11% and high knockback, possibly KOing at higher percents.
Note: Bandanna Dee's shielding pose is similar to his Return to Dreamland guarding pose.

Special Moves
Neutral special - Spear Throw - With a press of the B Button, Bandanna Dee will toss his spear a short distance forward. This does 3% and does low knockback. By holding down the B button, Dee will increase his angle, and the spear's power. At full charge, the spear goes more than halfway across FD and does 11%. Bandanna Dee can also move and jump while adjusting his angle. Dee will immediately regenerate a new spear after throwing his old one.
Side Special - Waddle Hop - After a short pause, Bandanna will hop a short distance in the air and land on his face. If Dee jumps into an opponent, they will receive a measly 4%, but unusually high knockback. If he lands on an opponent, they will receive 6% and be semi-spiked, though this isn't nearly as powerful. You can do this in the air, though obviously Bandanna Dee won't fall.
Down Special - Megaton Punch - When used, Bandanna Dee's fist, well, stub will begin to glow blue. He can charge this for about a second, at which point it will be fully charged. Pressing down and B again will result in him slamming his fist into the ground, rocking the world of any nearby unfortunate opponent. This can only be used at full charge, and the result is a massive shockwave that deals 16% and immense knockback. The downside to this move is that it has a larger amount of startup lag and more ending lag. When used in the air, Bandanna Dee will plummet straight down (powerfully meteor smashing anybody who touches him) until he hits the ground, at which point the move will continue as normal.
Up special - Spear Copter - Bandanna Dee twirls his spear rapidly above his head like the blade of a helicopter, chopping up anybody above him or blowing them away. Touching Dee's spear while spinning will result in that fighter being repeatedly hit, each hit doing 1% in slash damage. Being above, but not touching, Dee will result in the fighter being blown upwards, similar to Game & Watch's up air. This move carries Dee an incredible distance in whatever direction he wants and covers any aerial attack, but Bandanna Dee is completely vulnerable to attack from the sides.

Other:
Idle pose #1: Adjusts bandanna.
Idle poss #2: Puts his...hand on his...chin and closely examines the head of his spear.
Side taunt: Waves towards the camera excitedly, as if someone was cheering him on.
Down taunt: Falls down, then gets back up.
Up taunt: Does some impressive handiwork with his spear, then drops it, before picking it back up sheepishly.
Victory pose #1: Does part of the Kirby Dance.
Victory pose #2: Does some macho posing with his back facing the camera, before realizing that he's facing the wrong way and correcting himself.
Victory pose #3: Taps the butt of his spear on the ground before posing dignifiedly.
Whatcha think?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Alright, I gotta be honest right now.

I don't know if I can stick to RtDL modding. Maybe I've just been setting unrealistic time frames for getting things done, but it's become an actual problem. I've been pushing myself to the breaking point, where most of my nights I'm up until 3~4AM working on the game to get things done, and only get around 2/3 hours of sleep a night. Like, it's starting to hurt so bad where I just start crying and want to lay down.

But, the thing is... why? Why am I going this far just to modify this game? I mean, there's barely anybody who cares about my work, so am I just doing this for self pleasure? This is where it especially gets odd, because I'm wondering if I'm hurting myself on purpose, just without thinking.
I never heard about this project until now. The fact that you're modding it at all is something I'm already fascinated with. From what I've seen with gaming news sites like Gamnesia that love to cover aspired fan-projects like the Mario 64 remake and the built-from-the-ground-up Rainbow Road, let me promise you that if your mod has quality assurance, a lot of people are going to love it. As both a Kirby completionist and a current Game Design Major, I would love to have an opportunity to play-test your work.
Meh, I'm not going to be nice to people who are not nice to me. I don't believe in the idea that neutrality = more rational/level headed. I'm not playing that.

I've decided to leave these threads. Good Luck with BDee everyone. It was really nice playing with Reserved.
Manic Rykker has essentially already said everything I could say about this. We're not looking to metaphorically give flowers to those who punch us in the face, we're looking to block sucker-punches and retaliate solely through persuasion rather than aggression. Toxicity is not the answer, and it's certainly not what an ideal Bandana Waddle Dee supporter should look towards as a first impression and basic tool. We become no better than the likes of the Ridley Thread fanbase if we stoop to that. If supporting BWD isn't worth learning to approach detractors with a level-head, then I do appreciate your own acknowledgement of not wanting to softball your feelings. It's the next best respect to not willingly insert toxicity into the campaign, second to actually being within it in zen.

Thank you for all you've done in the past. If you ever change your mind, we'd love to have any bit more of support we could get.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Meh, I'm not going to be nice to people who are not nice to me. I don't believe in the idea that neutrality = more rational/level headed. I'm not playing that.

I've decided to leave these threads. Good Luck with BDee everyone. It was really nice playing with Reserved.
WAIT, WTF? WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?

omg

guys I'm perma dead

D

Deleted member

Say guys we always talk about the spear as one of bandana waddle dee moveset but what if he can use a parasol as his movset and his recovery? think of it like robin where he/she is both a sword and magic user.

The right hand is were bandana waddle dee will hold his spear and the left hand is were he will hold his parasol I think you guys can picture it now :chuckle:.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

wait, what the hell happened today? kirby queen and reserved both gone? but I love you guys :(
I know it hurts me too Jiggly but we have to keep moving on.....no matter what we will get bandana waddle dee in smash 4 as long as we work together that what kirby queen and reserved would have wanted so let keep moving forward for the future my friend for the future we play bandana waddle dee online together so let keep going............................

Jiggly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
So Kirby Queen and Reserved left...... You know it's times like this where I like to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Say guys we always talk about the spear as one of bandana waddle dee moveset but what if he can use a parasol as his movset and his recovery? think of it like robin where he/she is both a sword and magic user.

The right hand is were bandana waddle dee will hold his spear and the left hand is were he will hold his parasol I think you guys can picture it now :chuckle:.
The Spear Helicopter is too iconic of his moveset to not be his up+B, like a combination of :4diddy:'s pack for charging and :4duckhunt: going up and then slowly descending.
I'm all for the spear popping out a parasol end (like a magician's staff popping out flowers) for the throws of the Parasol power.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

HELL NO I'm never leaving...even if Bandanna Dee gets in I'll be on his support page!!!
Maybe when bandana waddle dee get into smash 4 we can change this thread into the kirby social thread I mean let be honest here the kirby fanbase is a dying breed you know rainbow resort being dead and all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe when bandana waddle dee get into smash 4 we can change this thread into the kirby social thread I mean let be honest here the kirby fanbase is a dying breed you know rainbow resort being dead and all.
I float around to wherever I can add to a conversation, so I might still frequent this thread if this happens if Bandana Dee gets in. But for now let's focus on supporting Bandana Dee.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'll say this one last time.

Everyone. Vote. On. That. Twitter. Link. NOW.

Smashified is the biggest first step we can take. They're taking a direct vote-count now. If we can get majority, we can get Bandana Waddle Dee on Smashified and get our cause heard to the ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people that watch his videos. Nothing is more important right now than us winning that vote. I don't care if you have to create a Twitter account just to do this, JUST DO IT!

We're about to flattened by all the other Shantae votes otherwise, so...

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'll say this one last time.

Everyone. Vote. On. That. Twitter. Link. NOW.

Smashified is the biggest first step we can take. They're taking a direct vote-count now. If we can get majority, we can get Bandana Waddle Dee on Smashified and get our cause heard to the ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people that watch his videos. Nothing is more important right now than us winning that vote. I don't care if you have to create a Twitter account just to do this, JUST DO IT!

We're about to flattened by all the other Shantae votes otherwise, so...
Well she does have a very organized campaign :p Plus they've practically been begging for it almost since the start. From what I've heard, Krystal is also in high demand. It's sorta a fight between Shantae and Krystal at the moment, with Pheonix wright not too far behind.

They are all definitely going to have to step it up... as Sonic would say XD

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The competition is fierce in this... Also, make sure you favourite any Bandana Dee votes. That will make us appear larger.

:231:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
HELL NO I'm never leaving...even if Bandanna Dee gets in I'll be on his support page!!!
Same here!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

WAIT, WTF? WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?

omg

guys I'm perma dead
Oh what? No. :confused:

Even before I joined, you guys have been responsible for some of the posts I've most enjoyed reading in this thread.

Well, all I can do is wish you the best, and hope you return someday. We'll keep on trucking until then. ;)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well after taking an eternity to get back to work on icons and what not, I've finally pumped out some new stuff.

Remastered the old bandana dee icon I made long ago.

Also..

I FINALLY got around to making the Bandana Dee Campaign card. (Took me long enough huh? XD)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The twitter replies are filled to the brim with Shantae, Krystal and Daisy fans. Wow... I didn't know people were that crazy about it.

I also saw a couple of votes for Phanpy. :rotfl:

:231:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4robinf: I've got your back.

Silent supporter though I may be, I'm here for y'all. I stuck around when the Ridley thread went kaput, I'll stick around to help you guys with whatever you may need.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I've just put something together, too. I had to resize the QR Code, but I double-checked that it still works, first, and it does.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Oh, I almost forgot! Here's a high-resolution photograph used in the making of my previous just-for-fun picture. You can see some rough edges at full-size - please bear in mind that it was designed to be shrunk down when used.

Sadly, it's not an official Bandana Waddle Dee item - it's just a standard official Waddle Dee plush with a temporary bandana added, but who wouldn't want one?! ;) And since the original Super Smash Bros. was about imagined battles between plushes, instead of the later figurines, maybe someone might want to use it to promote our spear-toting candidate?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now, don't forget, Kirby is Nintendo's 5th most popular franchise. The fanbase is far from dead. Once Bandanna Dee gets in, this thread'll be popping, cause people will have more to talk about.

Top Bottom