• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Uh.. I support this idea. It took me waaaaaay too long to find this. Sorry, Chandelure.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see Bandanna Dee be in this game myself, even if he isn't my most wanted Kirby rep. I am definitely hoping we see King Dedede, since if he's in the game but not playable that does seem like the most likely place to see him. I'd rather see him over Knuckle Joe as an Assist though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Why are you guys scared? Yall should calm down, whatever happens to Bandanna Dee's role happens. Don't be too hopeful for the spear master, or you might possibly set yourself for disappointment.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Don't be too hopeful for the spear master, or you might possibly set yourself for disappointment.
Well, this doesn't sound like a great advice XD
Is like: don't be too happy, because you could die tomorrow XD

We are the Waddle Dee supporters, we need to be hopeful.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If you put it too high you might end up with disappointment, like how Nintendog got disconfirmed, I obviously felt lots of pain. :sadeyes:
I learned to not keep them high after that.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
We all know what we signed up for. Bandana Dee doesn't have a great chance, we should all know this. I just hope that you guys aren't too disappointed if he doesn't make it.

There's always the next Smash anyway, and we have Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede to soften the blow.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I am probably the most scared person on this thread of Deede's reviel... He may be my second main in brawl, but I don't want Bandana Dee to be used like Toad...His chanses are going to be shot if he ends up getting thrown. Not only for this smash, but all after that to. He will end ip like Toad, as a projectile forever. Never to return. But the reason I am most scared is because I might lose my support for him in the next titles.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So you're going fade away your faith in Waddle Dee? That doesn't seem like a good idea, especially to how dedicated you and the others are to having a playable Bandanna Dee.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I don't think I will, but I can't help but feel like I might. My faith in characters have been fading in and out so quickly...

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
I am probably the most scared person on this thread of Deede's reviel... He may be my second main in brawl, but I don't want Bandana Dee to be used like Toad...His chanses are going to be shot if he ends up getting thrown. Not only for this smash, but all after that to. He will end ip like Toad, as a projectile forever. Never to return. But the reason I am most scared is because I might lose my support for him in the next titles.
I don't see why Bandana Dee couldn't be upgraded from a move to playable character status.

D

Deleted member

I don't see why Bandana Dee couldn't be upgraded from a move to playable character status.
Some people have been asking for Toad, but that isn't happening.

Toad is one of the most popular characters in Japan, but he barely gets any requests. Some have argued that people haven't been asking for Toad is due to a deep pessimism of him being Peach's neutral special again. If such pessimism didn't exist, then he would be one of the most requested newcomers from there.

The same case is with Bandana Dee here. He is one of Japan's more wanted characters. However, if he ends up being a part of King Dedede's side special, then his fans will get pessimistic and not request for him anymore in SSB5.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Some people have been asking for Toad, but that isn't happening.

Toad is one of the most popular characters in Japan, but he barely gets any requests. Some have argued that people haven't been asking for Toad is due to a deep pessimism of him being Peach's neutral special again. If such pessimism didn't exist, then he would be one of the most requested newcomers from there.

The same case is with Bandana Dee here. He is one of Japan's more wanted characters. However, if he ends up being a part of King Dedede's side special, then his fans will get pessimistic and not request for him anymore in SSB5.
But Toad is in the same position within the Mario series that he's been in for years, while Bandana Dee is currently growing as a character within his respective series. People are pessimistic about Toad because he isn't developing into anything more than what he's been for a long time; there isn't anything that helps him stand out more than he already does.

If Bandana Dee is as integrated into the plot/gameplay of future Kirby games as he has been lately, yet (assuming he becomes part of Dedede's moveset this game) stays as part of said moveset for Smash 5, people can start writing him off.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I was playing Kirby's Dream Collection a little while ago, and one of the areas in the Smash challenge room has Kirby beating the tar out of a bunch of Waddle Dee's. It would be hilarious if an event match in Smash 4 had Bandana Dee do that to an army of Kirbies.

And is it a coincidence the anime episodes included in Dream Collection focus on Kirby, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I feel similarly to Bandy how I feel about Rosalina. They're cool characters, and I really like them, but I don't think they need to be in Smash Bros.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I think at this point though we've more or less hit the "need to be" characters though is the thing. Most of the ones who could be added now aren't quite as noteworthy as the ones already in, but they'd be fun to play as and still important to some extent.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I just realized if Bandana Dee gets in, then the Fire Emblem weapon triangle would be complete. Villager has an axe, and swords are common. :p

UltimateWario

Smash Master
By Rosalina and Bandana not needing to be in, I meant that it would be rather upsetting for second, or possibly even third-rate characters like them to get in before characters like Isaac, whose series is nearly completely unrepresented, Ridley, whose series is criminally underrepresented (as well as the fact that he should've been in since Melee), or another, similar character.

Smash should really be covering all of its major bases before it starts throwing in extras like Rosalina and Bandana Dee in, but apparently Sakurai doesn't agree.

D

Deleted member

I just realized if Bandana Dee gets in, then the Fire Emblem weapon triangle would be complete. Villager has an axe, and swords are common. :p
Ironically though, it wouldn't be completed by Fire Emblem characters. :p

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I personally really like Rosalina, and am happy she's in. And there isn't anything saying Rosalina, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Ridley, and others can't all be in.

Also, Kirby represents the Weapon Triangle with Bandana Dee getting in, since Dedede has a hammer, which falls under the axe. :p

And yes, that is pretty ironic. Conversely, FE has no weapon diversity.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I personally really like Rosalina, and am happy she's in. And there isn't anything saying Rosalina, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Ridley, and others can't all be in.
I'm not saying at all that they can't be, but we've got that low roster ceiling hanging over our heads, and it just worries me.

LF2K

Floor Diver
And going by the triangle, Bandana Dee would tear up sword users. Even Meta Knight. :p

Honestly, though, all the big name characters are almost used. Little Mac's the only one I can think of.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
We don't have any idea what the roster number will be though. At this point there isn't any real reason we can't have a decently big roster. I'm guessing somewhere along the lines of 45 to 50 myself.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Uh...you guys know that Sakurai has stated that the roster's not going to be much bigger than Brawl's, right?

I can see 45 as the absolute, hope-to-high-****ing-heaven maximum. I'm expecting more around 40.

LF2K

Floor Diver
If the Wii Fit Trainer is any indication, I think we should expect the unexpected. :p She's proof any character has a shot.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Uh...you guys know that Sakurai has stated that the roster's not going to be much bigger than Brawl's, right?

I can see 45 as the absolute, hope-to-high-****ing-heaven maximum. I'm expecting more around 40.
He said that there won't be as many new characters as Brawl.

Not that we won't get a healthy amount.

LF2K

Floor Diver
So if Bandana Dee makes it in, I vote this should be one of his victory animations:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You know that Brawl's roster has 39 characters, right?
Technically yes, but there are 35 slots on the character roster. We don't know how Sakurai considers characters, but most places I've visited consider one character slot one character, regardless how many movesets are assigned to it.

Obviously, this wouldn't matter from a development standpoint (as 39 characters is 39 characters, no matter how you slice it), but characters with multiple "forms" have to be balanced in relation to each other as well as the rest of the cast, which hasn't necessarily happened (look at Shiek and Zelda).

Anyway, as Brawl has "35" characters, I expect Smash 4 to have "40", meaning more around 43-45.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Waddle Dee is my favorite character from the universe of Kirby, so I'm definitely a supporter. I always force my brother to pick Kirby in Kirby's Adventure so I can use Waddle Dee and do silly things with his spearcopter (which eventually end up with me dying).

Here's to hoping my hopes won't be crushed like they were for Toad and Stafy.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Waddle Dee is my favorite character from the universe of Kirby, so I'm definitely a supporter. I always force my brother to pick Kirby in Kirby's Adventure so I can use Waddle Dee and do silly things with his spearcopter (which eventually end up with me dying).

Here's to hoping my hopes won't be crushed like they were for Toad and Stafy.
Welcome and thanks for your support! :D

D

Deleted member

One more week until destiny… or will destiny be delayed?

LF2K

Floor Diver
A little while ago, I posted that Waddle Dee was intended to be playable in Kirby 64. This early screenshot from 64 is pretty interesting.
]

And if Meta Knight replaced Adeline, then we would have had Return to Dreamland's cast for years. :p

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I wish Ribbon had been playable as well. I kind of wish they hadn't dropped Ribbon, she'd be interesting to see in future games, or so I think. But everyone always likes Adeleine instead. I have a hard time seeing Waddle Dee using a spear in Kirby 64 though, so I guess it kind of lucked out being playable first in Return to Dreamland. I definitely think it's the same Waddle Dee though.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Oh, and this image can be found in the US version of Kirby 64. It's early concept art. It's interesting how Kirby's animal friends didn't make the cut.

Top Bottom