• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
*potd showing waddle dee's back*

"A new AT, It's Waddle Dee!!! Hey, Turn around so we can actually see your face!"

"Oops! It's actually a waddle doo! King DDD's faithful servant is nowhere to be seen..."

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Ridley: ;-;

Mewtwo: ;-;
I think he meant no character has been teased and then disconfirmed, and how has mewtwo been teased? (I don't count the greninja trailer).

D

Deleted member

The Dee feeds off of his deetractors to make his hype train stronger, in his preparation to crash Sakurai's office and hold him hostage until his inevitable reveal! :cool:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Question: If we want to rival the Kutthroats, we need to get a introduction song, our kind of One of us, what is the most fitting for BDee?
I don't know but I got the felling that the song at the start of the trailer will be the grand doomer theme.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I posted this before, but I think it needs to be said again (note, this was posted before Nightmare):

I would like to remind everybody that we already have Knuckle Joe as an assist trophy, and I'm highly doubting that Bandana Dee would turn into an assist instead of much more fit characters, such as Adeleine, Gooey, or Dream Land 2 and 3's Animal Friends. I would think that Adeleine would be the most fit for a second Kirby assist trophy, as she could paint items such as Maxim Tomatoes and throw them out to help the fighters, or she could use some of Ice Cream Island's Boss, Paint Roller's attacks. This includes Waddle Dee's, Nimbus, Cars, Baseballs, Parasols, Bombs, Microphone, or even Kirby. These would all work out correctly as painted enemies to be thrown out and wouldn't be confused with other things due to the fact that they're all crude paintings. The other biggest contender for Kirby's second assist trophy would be his Animal Friends. This assist trophy could use Triple Deluxe's assets from Kirby Fighters stage, Coo's Forest. The assist trophy could randomly select Rick, Coo, or Kine that can come through and attack opposing players.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
you know if we are still talking about assists there is always that golden lobster from KSS which was a cool boss I wonder how he will look like if he comes back

Laniv

Smash Champion
you know if we are still talking about assists there is always that golden lobster from KSS which was a cool boss I wonder how he will look like if he comes back
That would be Heavy Lobster!

If BD's trailer has his music, I will die.

Lloyd91

Smash Apprentice
Question: If we want to rival the Kutthroats, we need to get a introduction song, our kind of One of us, what is the most fitting for BDee?
I believe Waddle Dee tank would be a cool one. It sounds so innocently awsome!

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I don't know how to feel about Nightmare's reveal. It tends to show that Sakurai is focusing on the Kirby ganes he made rather than the more recent ones. I'm still worried about this for Bandanna's chances. Look at how Sakurai treated Mirror and Squeak Squad in Brawl.

Last edited:

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how to feel about Nightmare's reveal. It tends to show that Sakurai is focusing on the Kirby ganes he made rather than the more recent ones. I'm still worried about this for Bandanna's chances. Look at how Sakurai treated Mirror and Squeak Squad in Brawl.
But Kirby's new final smash is from Return to Dreamland. I'm sure he'll add more content from the recent games.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
But Kirby's new final smash is from Return to Dreamland. I'm sure he'll add more content from the recent games.
But the Ultra Sword is the most recognizable move in the game. It doesn't prove involvement in the game as even someone who hasn't played the game could easily research it. I need to see more content from post-Air Ride games to know for sure that he is properly respecting the game. Remember that we have no Kirby music, stages or trophies that allude to the more modern games at the moment.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
We should get a 5th Kirby rep after Bandana Dee is revealed!

Escargoon: "Sire, I've had it up to here with these monsters! Looks like I'll have to do the clobbering myself!"

Escargoon buys in!

Dedede: "Escargoon?! But you can't fight! Yous a lousy, good for nothing slug!"

Escargoon: "That's why I carry my Levin Sword!"

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Though I can agree with most people that Bandana Dee wouldn't be the most hype-inducing newcomer, so i don't think he would be the last newcomer revealed, I really think that we could get BD this month, then Shulk and Ridley in a combo trailer or something next month before the 13th.

D

Deleted member

But the Ultra Sword is the most recognizable move in the game. It doesn't prove involvement in the game as even someone who hasn't played the game could easily research it. I need to see more content from post-Air Ride games to know for sure that he is properly respecting the game. Remember that we have no Kirby music, stages or trophies that allude to the more modern games at the moment.
Obviously because if he did show more modern content he would give away that Bandana Dee is a newcomer :awesome:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Holy crap, I love the idea of Heavy Lobster being an assist trophy!

For AT I vote for either

Dynablade
Kabula
Kracko
Heavy Mole
Wispy Woods

for Boss and stages

My number 1 pick is Marx, stage would be NOVA

or Magolor, stage would be lor starcutter

Sectonia, stage would be a top the Bean Stalk, Floria Kingdom

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Obviously because if he did show more modern content he would give away that Bandana Dee is a newcomer :awesome:
obvs, not showing proof is proof that he doesn't want us to know the truth! So making it look like its false means it's right! OH. MY. GOD. HE DOESNT WANT US TO KNOW. EVERY BIT OF INFO AGAINST BDEE IS MORE PROOF FOR HIM!!!

god dammit guys, we just broke the ****in code :0

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I've been worried about this too. I have NO idea how Sakurai feels about modern Kirby games. I read somewhere that he didn't even play K64. I know he still love his baby though. He signs his name with a little picture of Kirby and during the conference about the Amiibos, he was holding the Kirby Amiibo a lot. I know he loves Kirby but not sure if he's been happy with the direction that the series has taken. I feel like if he did include something from Return to Dreamland than maybe he feels positive about the game. I feel with Shinya Kumazaki games, they're more influenced by ideas Sakurai had. So he may think more favorably of them. However I have no real idea his opinion on new Kirby games is. I think that at least he might prefer Shinya Kumazaki direction with the games as of late but can't state solidly so. Just speculation.

D

Deleted member

I've been worried about this too. I have NO idea how Sakurai feels about modern Kirby games. I read somewhere that he didn't even play K64. I know he still love his baby though. He signs his name with a little picture of Kirby and during the conference about the Amiibos, he was holding the Kirby Amiibo a lot. I know he loves Kirby but not sure if he's been happy with the direction that the series has taken. I feel like if he did include something from Return to Dreamland than maybe he feels positive about the game. I feel with Shinya Kumazaki games, they're more influenced by ideas Sakurai had. So he may think more favorably of them. However I have no real idea his opinion on new Kirby games is. I think that at least he might prefer Shinya Kumazaki direction with the games as of late but can't state solidly so. Just speculation.
AHA! HE MAY OR MAY NOT LIKE NEWER KIRBY GAMES, BUT HE LOVES SPEAR USERS!

"I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros"

SAKURAI LOVED FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING. FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING HAS SPEAR USERS. BANDANA DEE CONFIRMED!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Bandana Dee's chances solely rest in Sakurai's own self-flattery. If he designed Bandana Dee in some way, Bandana's chances skyrocket. However, if this bias is not factored in, than with Sakurai's new creative direction I do not see the little guy (as adorable as he is) making it in as a playable character.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I think Bandana Dee's chances solely rest in Sakurai's own self-flattery. If he designed Bandana Dee in some way, Bandana's chances skyrocket. However, if this bias is not factored in, than with Sakurai's new creative direction I do not see the little guy (as adorable as he is) making it in as a playable character.
implying that Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't be a creative choice? I think having a spear weapon would be different and something they could get creative with imo

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
uhm waddles always has been a classic and recognizable characters in kirby since the begining.
Even if he cared only about his work, BD still has high chances to appear.

People tend to forget that BD is important simply because waddles were important first :estatic: anyways, modern kirby:

i hate this FS, makes kirby look like a zelda ripoff or something :sadeyes:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
implying that Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't be a creative choice? I think having a spear weapon would be different and something they could get creative with imo
What does the spear really do that is all that different?

The only thing I could think of is allowing him to throw the spear with side B. Then he has to retrieve it before he can use his side B again. While he does not have the spear, he is basically a Kirby/Jiggs clone with his attacks (except not as a good).

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
There will most likely be a lot more modern Kirby content (TD stage, RTDL Stage, Masked D3 FS/alt, new music, maybe stage bosses, etc.)

Oh and here are some cute bandana dee pics :3

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
"As the original Kirby's AirRide was being developed, the release date kept being pushed further into the future until the fateful day when the game was cancelled. Its been said the cancellation was due to an inability by the developers at getting the four-player mode to work at a decent frame rate using the Nintendo 64's limited technology. If there was more to it than that, we'll probably never know.
Shortly afterwards, it was revealed that the team would instead begin development on a new Kirby platform game (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) for the Nintendo 64 and that Sakurai would have no input. Supposedly, Sakurai didn't lay eyes on the game until it was released, where he played the game for the first time. Reports described Sakurai as 'sentimental', perhaps displaying the fact that he had lost interest in the series. Even then it had become clear that Sakurai was tiring of what he would later refer to as the "sequelization" of the industry." http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=325&page=5

Oh looks like Sakurai did play K64 but maybe didn't care so much for the direction the series was going with. I don't know that he's "tired" of Kirby since he went back to be a special adviser for Kirby and the Amazing Mirror in 2004 and certainly wasn't so tired to make them important and borrow from the Kirby franchise in SSE's gameplay.

Maybe Sakurai had his own ideas concerning Kirby. I have a good feeling he'd maybe like games like Triple Deluxe and RtDL more but again, I don't know the guy. Just digging here...

Maybe he's not fond of Shinichi Shimomura's style of games? I dunno

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

The only thing I could think of is allowing him to throw the spear with side B. Then he has to retrieve it before he can use his side B again. While he does not have the spear, he is basically a Kirby/Jiggs clone with his attacks (except not as a good).
Plenty of us have posted our various ideas as well as vids to gameplay already displaying moves he knows. You're welcome to read around the thread at all the diverse and creative ideas the fans here have.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
uhm waddles always has been a classic and recognizable characters in kirby since the begining.
Even if he cared only about his work, BD still has high chances to appear.

People tend to forget that BD is important simply because waddles were important first :estatic: anyways, modern kirby:

i hate this FS, makes kirby look like a zelda ripoff or something :sadeyes:
Kirby's Sword ability isn't a "ripoff" of Link or Zelda. It's an open and understood nod of appreciation and recognition between developers and out of respect. If Miyamoto had a problem with this "ripoff" it would have not been designed this way.

D

Deleted member

Reposting this since it helps explain why the spear itself is unique:

The spear itself lends to being unique since he stabs, resulting in thinner and longer hitboxes, emphasizing spacing. He would have to be fast and very powerful on the tip to compliment the weapon's natural attributes as well, but extremely weak otherwise. In other words, the spear's natural attributes alllow for a character with a high skill ceiling who gets rewarded in the extremes for doing well, and punished severely for playing poorly. Little Mac's KO punch rewards you no matter what for lack of an air game, but Bandana Dee would be extremely unique just because of his weapon.

Assist Star Mechanic based off of his appearance in Triple Deluxe:

He could have an assist star meter that charges up food items. It would generate food like in Triple Deluxe the more damage/KOs Bandana Dee does, but it would "power down" the more he gets hit/gets KOed. It would go from Ice Cream (normal food heal; easy to get) to the juice shake thing you get before bosses (20% heal; hard to get) to the Maxim Tomato that he gives Dedede (50% heal like Maxim Tomatos; extremely hard to get)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The spear (how Pikablu explained it) sounds a bit like Marth's blade to really put him over the edge in uniqueness.

A chargeable special like a down B that results in a health-restoring food item (worth more health he longer the charge) popping out of the little guy to be eaten could be a neat idea.

If he has enough cute, kinda of unique moves he may be worth it. I have not played any Kirby game with him as a playable character so I do not have enough insight into how he could potentially play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom