• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
If they were to tease Waddle Dee's bandana, they use the same Mii that wore Meta Knight's mask.

"Pic of the day. This hat thief didn't learn his lesson. Now he's wearing the underdog's bandana."
video starts, meta knight walks along, see's a bandana from behind, walks up. ITS MII, Meta knight is outraged when bandana launches from the sky and slays his doppelganger

BANDANA DEE PIERCES THE SKY

D

Deleted member

Trailer: The smash logo cuts across the screen, and Wario's laugh is heard. Mario and Wario are duking it out, and Wario appears to be winning. Link comes to help Mario, but he is stopped by Ganondorf! Fox shoots at Ganondorf, but his lasers are reflected by Wolf! Pikachu, Samus, and DK are on the scene, but are stopped by Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool! All hope is lost as the heroes get beaten down… But a familiar sound is heard! A warpstar, slams into the ground, and 4 heroes emerge! Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee emerge from the dust cloud! They rush the Villains, and overpower them as gameplay is shown. The last part is the Kirby 4 performing the Kirby Dance in front of all of the defeated villains.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
GameFAQS is known for having hordes of biased users, who judge him simply for his design and whatnot. (These people are the kinds that never played a Kirby game)

Speaking of which, if Bandana Dee is a secret character, we wouldn't get to gloat over his appearance because we would be flooded with the excitement for other characters. (*cough*Ridley*cough*)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Thinking like sakurai, I would like to keep patterns just for a simple standard, and really, bandanna could multi jump like all others helpers that can't fly do in SuperStar/SuperStar Ultra. He could even add that light sprinkle on each of his jumps.
There you go, you have he multi jumping with reasons and better, making association with a kirby game. No people who haven't played kirby would be thinking wrong.

And I know patterns doesn't mean nothing to gameplay, that is just a peculiarity that for concidence or not, seems to have being spead to all kirby reps (and jiggs), mainly because it reflects the situation of the kirby games ifself, where a bigger number of jumps is almost always present. It is a series of balls that can fly, and there is nothing wrong with that, I love it. It does not make it less unique.
I would have bandanna even grounded, he just need to get in. :bee:
Sakurai is constantly breaking the "patterns" people make, though. Common sense explains the past. It doesn't predict the future. Not only does the man focus on gameplay foremost, but he does it while managing to be near completely unpredictable. Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja. Rayman trophy and Milotic stage hazard. Unless you're thinking from the standpoint of a game designer, you can't even begin to say you're thinking like Sakurai.

Anyway, you weren't listening to what I was saying. In the context of Smash, Bandana Waddle Dee having multiple jumps makes no sense. Please name to me any character, any single character, who has multiple jumps that isn't known for floating or flying. We have Kirby, Jigglypuff, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard as the only characters with more than 2 jumps. Again, notice how they all float (the former 3) or fly (the latter 3). This is based on the character's individual ability to do so. Compare this to the Kirby games, where the only times characters are able to fly are when they are in a multi-player setting with flyable Kirby. If the other players could not fly, they would literally be handicapped in not being able to perform all the same basic actions as the first player. For that reason, Bandana Waddle Dee can "fly" solely for the reason of equilibrium of gameplay. This is why we never see Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, Bonkers, or any playable Kirby enemy fly outside of when they're a Helper. Were this another Kirby's Epic Yarn or Kirby Mass Attack where the first player cannot fly, the second player wouldn't need have to the ability to do so as well in a theoretical multiplayer in those games with Bandana Waddle Dee.

In other words, Bandana Waddle Dee himself is not known for flying and therefore does not have to transition into Smash as being able to fly. The Kirby games themselves, where a main mechanic is to be able to fly anywhere on the screen, are known for flying. Not Bandana Waddle Dee. The reason I stress this is because this mechanic is exclusive to the Kirby series itself, not any one particular character beyond Kirby himself. Apply this to the context of Smash Bros., where not every character needs to have the same mobility. The universal range of the Kirby series becomes irrelevant and thus not every character has the same range as Kirby, despite Smash Bros. being remarkably similar to Kirby's style of platforming in the first place. Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight have multiple jumpes because their flight is directly tied into their natural abilities. Knuckle Joe, like Bandana Waddle Dee, does not have the natural ability to fly. This is why Knuckle Joe, who is known for being "just as able to fly" as Bandana Waddle Dee, does not have multiple jumps for his Assist Trophy. Considering he is an Assist Trophy and has no restraint of just how mobile he's allowed to be, were this "pattern" of yours relevant to Smash, Knuckle Joe would do the very thing you're speaking of. Since we know both Bandana Waddle Dee and Knuckle Joe do not fly by their very nature, it makes sense that neither are able to fly within Smash Bros.

I don't want to have to repeat myself beyond this wall of text, so let me say it one last time:

Bandana Waddle Dee flies in Return to Dream Land because it was a gameplay necessity and for that reason only. In Smash, where it will not be necessary to fly, Bandana Waddle Dee would have no need to fly for his gameplay and thus will only have 2 jumps to better fit his character, just like every single other of the 48 characters in Smash Bros. to not have a method of flight.

Now, do you understand, from a game design standpoint, the way a game designer like Sakurai would think when designing a game, why Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't have multiple jumps?

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Maybe I'm looking to deep, but...

They're making different faces. It would make sense to have to characters that look alike be distinguished as much as possible.
(And that screen cap was hard to get. :p)

D

Deleted member

Sakurai is constantly breaking the "patterns" people make, though. Common sense explains the past. It doesn't predict the future. Not only does the man focus on gameplay foremost, but he does it while managing to be near completely unpredictable. Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja. Rayman trophy and Milotic stage hazard. Unless you're thinking from the standpoint of a game designer, you can't even begin to say you're thinking like Sakurai.

Anyway, you weren't listening to what I was saying. In the context of Smash, Bandana Waddle Dee having multiple jumps makes no sense. Please name to me any character, any single character, who has multiple jumps that isn't known for floating or flying. We have Kirby, Jigglypuff, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard as the only characters with more than 2 jumps. Again, notice how they all float (the former 3) or fly (the latter 3). This is based on the character's individual ability to do so. Compare this to the Kirby games, where the only times characters are able to fly are when they are in a multi-player setting with flyable Kirby. If the other players could not fly, they would literally be handicapped in not being able to perform all the same basic actions as the first player. For that reason, Bandana Waddle Dee can "fly" solely for the reason of equilibrium of gameplay. This is why we never see Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, Bonkers, or any playable Kirby enemy fly outside of when they're a Helper. Were this another Kirby's Epic Yarn or Kirby Mass Attack where the first player cannot fly, the second player wouldn't need have to the ability to do so as well in a theoretical multiplayer in those games with Bandana Waddle Dee.
In other words, Bandana Waddle Dee himself is not known for flying and therefore does not have to transition into Smash as being able to fly. The Kirby games themselves, where a main mechanic is to be able to fly anywhere on the screen, are known for flying. Not Bandana Waddle Dee. The reason I stress this is because this mechanic is exclusive to the Kirby series itself, not any one particular character beyond Kirby himself. Apply this to the context of Smash Bros., where not every character needs to have the same mobility. The universal range of the Kirby series becomes irrelevant and thus not every character has the same range as Kirby, despite Smash Bros. being remarkably similar to Kirby's style of platforming in the first place. This is also why Knuckle Joe, who is known for being "just as able to fly" as Bandana Waddle Dee, does not have multiple jumps for his Assist Trophy. Considering he is an Assist Trophy and has no restraint of just how mobile he's allowed to be, were this "pattern" of yours relevant to Smash, Knuckle Joe would do the very thing you're speaking of. Since we know both Bandana Waddle Dee and Knuckle Joe do not fly by their very nature, it makes sense that neither are able to fly within Smash Bros.

I don't want to have to repeat myself beyond this wall of text, so let me say it one last time:

Bandana Waddle Dee flies in Return to Dream Land because it was a gameplay necessity and for that reason only. In Smash, where it will not be necessary to fly, Bandana Waddle Dee would have no need to fly for his gameplay and thus will only have 2 jumps to better fit his character, just like every single other of the 48 characters in Smash Bros. to not have a method of flight.

Now, do you understand, from a game design standpoint, the way a game designer like Sakurai would think when designing a game, why Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't have multiple jumps?
This is why I think he will have 2 jumps. However, doesn't Pit not fly on his own, his wings are merely aesthetic, but it makes sense for him to fly somewhat because he has wings. With Bandana Dee, he has nothing to justify multiple jumps, besides actual gameplay that is only for balancing purposes for the Kirby series, but Sakurai obviously doesn't care about that because of the Knuckle Joe AT.
Maybe I'm looking to deep, but...

They're making different faces. It would make sense to have to characters that look alike be distinguished as much as possible.
(And that screen cap was hard to get. :p)
That is a nice pic, but is there any instance of any Waddle Dee, normal or Bandana, using the Smash Run expression in a Kirby or previous Smash game? If so, it doesn't mean much.

Edit: I read one of @ God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin 's posts saying that a lot of detractors (and some of us) think he would be another Marth. We really need to work on disproving that idea to get more supporters.

Last edited by a moderator:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

My new roster, I added Meta Knight's new icon and fixed Palutena's and Mii Fighter's.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Trailer: The smash logo cuts across the screen, and Wario's laugh is heard. Mario and Wario are duking it out, and Wario appears to be winning. Link comes to help Mario, but he is stopped by Ganondorf! Fox shoots at Ganondorf, but his lasers are reflected by Wolf! Pikachu, Samus, and DK are on the scene, but are stopped by Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool! All hope is lost as the heroes get beaten down… But a familiar sound is heard! A warpstar, slams into the ground, and 4 heroes emerge! Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee emerge from the dust cloud! They rush the Villains, and overpower them as gameplay is shown. The last part is the Kirby 4 performing the Kirby Dance in front of all of the defeated villains.
And then goku and Steve from minecraft destroy everyone, only to be saved by the Dee?

D

Deleted member

Here is a moveset I made a while back incorporating lots of random things Waddle Dees do in Kirby: Triple Deluxe (It was on my mind) Its probably really unbalanced with its percents, but it was a beta build (its long).
DATA AND SPECIAL NOTES
•Jumps: 2. (Same animation as KRtD)
•Jump Height: Same asSamus.
•Height: Same as Kirby.
•Falling Speed: Same as Mario.
•Weight: A bit more than Kirby.
•Walking Speed: Same as Kirby.
•Dash Speed: Same as Toon Link.
•All moves using his parasol mean that his parasol is used as a reflector and blocks other melee attacks.
•All moves using his spear/axe have sweet spots on the spear point/axe edge.
•Bandana Dee carries his spear around but it is instantly changed into another weapon if another weapon is used instead of his spear, before immediately turning back into a spear.
SPECIALS
•Neutral Special (Spear Throw): Bandana Dee hurls a spear in an arc a distance that is half of Final Destination. This can be spammed to an extent, and gives the Dee a hover effect in the air. He can shuffle forward slowly while on the ground. (5% each)
•Side Special (Waddle Dee Leap): Dee jumps the same way as a Waddle Dee in Brawl does to damage opponents. This attack has lots of knockback but is somewhat laggy. (18%)
•Up Special (Spear Copter): Bandana Dee immediately spins his spear above him in this multi-hit attack that can deal up to 12% before hitting opponents away. This goes the height of Kirby’s Final Cutter and stays airborne with its hitbox even after the KO hit as Bandana Waddle Dee floats downwards. He can cancel the last part in favor of helpless state to fall faster.
•Down Special (Waddle Dee Puppet Tank): The small Waddle Dee puppet tank enemy from KRtD appears with Bandana Dee and 2 Waddle Dees manning it. It goes at Bandana Dee’s walk speed and can take 25% damage and it has super armor. It does 10% to anything it runs into, and it can jump once. The 2 Waddle Dees assisting Bandana Waddle Dee panic when the puppet is destroyed and run around the wreckage for 2 seconds, dealing 5% damage to opponents before disappearing.
•Final Smash (Waddle Dee Train): Taken from Triple Deluxe, Bandana Dee runs into a cave that appeared in the background while the fight stops, and emerges driving a huge Waddle Dee Train across newly built railroad tracks that Screen KOs everything in an area that is around the same height and width of 4 Bowsers forming a square around Bandana Dee when he unleashes his Final Smash. (30%)
SMASHES
•Forward Smash: Bandana Dee uses an axe Waddle Dees use in a level in Kirby Triple Deluxe to chop down trees to swing forward. It can also chop down Villager’s tree. (18-25%)
•Up Smash: The Dee raises his parasol and twirls it the same way as the Parasol ability’s upward throw. Dee is protected from moves that hit his parasol. Multiple hits. (16-24%)
•Down Smash: Bandana Dee leaps onto the 2 stone blocks (summoned from hammerspace; they double his height) that he stands on during the Megaton Punch minigame while charging. Then he strikes down at the blocks which shatter into pebbles that deal damage. The sweetspot is Dee’s fist, but the hitbox encompasses a tad above him and around him due to the pebbles and shockwaves. If an opponent is next to Bandana Waddle Dee when he starts charging they are trapped next to him, resulting in the sweetspot. The charge animation is unique, as the megaton punch mini-game plays out next to him/above him, shrunk down, of course. (5-10% pebbles; 19-28% Megaton Punch)
TILTS
•Forward Tilt: Bandana Dee uses the first hit of the Spear ability’s jab combo. (11%)
•Up Tilt: Dee uses the Skyward Strike from the Spear ability’s repertoire; he moves his spear from one hand into both and strikes upward quickly. (10%)
•Down Tilt: Bandana Dee hurls a Crystal Shard downward very fast before the shard disappears immediately. (6%)
JAB COMBO, DASH ATTACK, AND GET UP ATTACKS
•Jab Combo: A- Bandana Dee uses a weaker version of his Forward Tilt. (3%) AA- Bandana Dee uses the repeated version of the Spear ability’s jab. (1% each) Finisher- Dee uses the last hit of Spear’s jab, an extended thrust forward. (5%)
•Dash Attack: Bandana Dee uses the Parasol ability’s dash attack and gains super armor while moving forward extremely fast until he goes just over the distance of Sonic’s dash attack. His open and outstretched parasol is the hitbox and even reflects projectiles! (5%)
•Ledge Attack: Bandana Waddle Dee thrusts his spear above the ground in front of him before getting up. (6%)
•Get Up Attack: Dee pokes his spear on each side of him while getting up. (7% each)
GRAB, PUMMEL, AND THROWS
•Grab: Bandana Dee throws a rope used by Swinging Waddle Dees and ropes his enemy in. This can be used as a long tether recovery, and the Dee swings on his rope in his idle pose while tethered.
•Pummel: Dee punches the opponent with his free hand.
•Forward Throw: Bandana Waddle Dee uses Parasol Kirby’s forward throw. (8%)
•Up Throw: Bandana Dee uses Whip Kirby’s “High Lash”, also known as its up throw. (7%)
•Down Throw: 2 Waddle Dees appear and Bandana Dee jumps on top of them to form a stack of 3 Waddle Dees, which then proceed to crush the enemy, sending them forward. The Waddle Dees then disappear. (10%)
•Back Throw: Bandana Waddle Dee hurls his enemy backwards before pivoting and hitting them with his spear point. (9%) AERIALS
•Neutral Aerial: Bandana Dee takes out his parasol and uses it to float downward. It can be used for recovery or to block aerial opponents from approaching as easily as the parasol absorbs attacks. Only the initial taking out of the parasol deals damage; aka the part when he is not visible when the parasol covers him and when he positions the parasol above him. (6%)
•Forward Aerial: Bandana Waddle Dee takes out the wand used by Beam Kirby and performs the neutral attack of Waddle Doos with it. The laser has good range and traps enemies. (11%)
•Up Aerial: Bandana Dee throws an ice cream trapped in a star right above his head. The star is the hitbox and if it hits the star breaks, sending the ice cream into Bandana Dee, healing him. If you miss, the star simply falls down into Bandana Dee’s hands, leaving him open to attack. He gains super armor, hovers until the attack is over, and the attack momentum cancels for you like Mr. Game and Watch’s Down Special. (11% damage dealt; heals 15%)
•Down Aerial: Bandana Dee uses the Moon Drop from the Spear ability, spiraling downward and initial hitbox included. The second part of the attack has a strong meteor effect on the spear tip. Enemies hit by the first hit are trapped and get hit with the full force of the attack; they are not trapped if they get hit at any other time (like in Kirby Triple Deluxe). (12% first hit; 15% meteor)
•Back Aerial: Bandana Dee bashes the butt of his spear behind him. (10%)
•Zair: Bandana Dee uses his rope like a whip, Whip Kirby’s neutral attack to be precise (3%) TAUNTS AND ENTRY ANIMATION
•Forward Taunt: Dee fixes his Bandana’s placement.
•Up Taunt: Dee makes the same gestures he does in Triple Deluxe after giving Kirby food.
•Down Taunt: Bandana Dee does his version (shortened) of the Kirby Dance from Return to Dreamland.
•Entry Animation: Bandana Dee crashes into the ground on a Warpstar. He is on the same bottom right part of the star as he is in the RtD intro.
PALLETE SWAPS AND ALTS
•Palette Swaps: Normal, Green Team= Green Rainbow Curse Dee, Red Team= Red instead of orange with a crimson bandana, Blue Team= Periwinkle instead of orange, Rainbow Curse #2, Rainbow Curse #3, one based off of Stone Kirby’s transformation for his monochrome, one based off of Gold Waddle Dees, a purple one with a purple bandana based off of the invincible Waddle Dee in KTD where you test your abilities, and one based off of the larger and darker brown Waddle Dees with a black bandana.
•Alts: Sailor Waddle Dee alt and Lumberjack Waddle Dee alt. (Just changes the bandana to their hat.)

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521

W
hat you said is true, but at the same time you stand a point that strengthen my vision too. We can't know what sakurai is going to do, as everything he did in the past is not set in stone.
That said, I believe I can say I'm thinking like Sakurai, at least to a certain extension, that I will try to explain later.
After all, we are all speculating here.

In other words, Bandana Waddle Dee himself is not known for flying and therefore does not have to transition into Smash as being able to fly. The Kirby games themselves, where a main mechanic is to be able to fly anywhere on the screen, are known for flying. Not Bandana Waddle Dee. The reason I stress this is because this mechanic is exclusive to the Kirby series itself, not any one particular character beyond Kirby himself. Apply this to the context of Smash Bros., where not every character needs to have the same mobility. The universal range of the Kirby series becomes irrelevant and thus not every character has the same range as Kirby, despite Smash Bros. being remarkably similar to Kirby's style of platforming in the first place. Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight have multiple jumpes because their flight is directly tied into their natural abilities. Knuckle Joe, like Bandana Waddle Dee, does not have the natural ability to fly. This is why Knuckle Joe, who is known for being "just as able to fly" as Bandana Waddle Dee, does not have multiple jumps for his Assist Trophy. Considering he is an Assist Trophy and has no restraint of just how mobile he's allowed to be, were this "pattern" of yours relevant to Smash, Knuckle Joe would do the very thing you're speaking of. Since we know both Bandana Waddle Dee and Knuckle Joe do not fly by their very nature, it makes sense that neither are able to fly within Smash Bros.
You make very relevant points, but I still can say some things:
If sakurai let the ideia of "I must not do X with character because players that don't understand his universe would think strange" affect his decision, then he better not even start designing the character, that is a very shallow reason. It did not stopped him to try making Mach Rider.
Sakurai works with many vintage characters, and end up developing movepools and animations for them, even if the character does not have a history of fighting (Capt. Falcon).
And he always tries to invoke some kind of references in the characters.
This is a very bad example, but may help show what I mean:
Peach can float briefly in the air. When she appeared in melee, despite the fact that she is a famous character, any player that have not seen or played Mario 2, would not known why she was able to do that.
This simple fact did not stopped sakurai from doing it.

What I meant is: IF Sakurai decided to invoke kirby Superstar references to make Bandanna Dee multi jumps, then, he would do it, despite the fact that he can't fly or float, but solenny because its make SENSE, as background of his games.

Of course, he can invoke some recent incarnations of Bandanna Dee and make him grounded wich is perfectly FINE too. Again because it has background on his games.

So, to finish, Bandanna Dee COULD multi jump IF Sakurai so desires, and impressions of players towards the game would not stop him to do that, even because it appears strange, because it was made it before, in many different ways.

AND he can be grounded, by the very same reasons.

I just hope that this can make clear my idea of why Bandanna could be able to multi jump and it would be perfectly fine.

Also, it's not my 'pattern', I'm just following common sense here of some things we all have seen during all smash interations.
Again, we all SPECULATE, so we are all proved right AND wrong until the game is released.

Yes, I clearly understood. I didn't needed the yellow bold parts to make your points clear ;), I would read them all because your opinions are revelant and interesing. I understood your strong points in explaining a grounded Bandanna Dee. And I believe in them.

BUT, I just hope that you too may understand my point of view, when saying that he could also multi jumps and there would be no problems with that, based in past interations, gameplay mechanics and more importantly, if Sakurai would want him to be able to it or not.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Hashtags are worthless, and the reason those characters work is because they have feet

inb4 FE jokes
Humor might not be your forte, then. #HashTagSwag #Learn2FunnyNerd

And what difference does having feet make if they don't use them to move? You're literally discrediting Magolor over the most trivial thing. Hell, you'd sooner have a point if he didn't have hands. You don't need feet to hold items.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Humor might not be your forte, then. #HashTagSwag #Learn2FunnyNerd

And what difference does having feet make if they don't use them to move? You're literally discrediting Magolor over the most trivial thing. Hell, you'd sooner have a point if he didn't have hands. You don't need feet to hold items.
The thing is, feet are important to smash to stand ground, but if Magolor would ever end up playable, I would have 0 objections. Let's not talk about None-BDee stuff, and YOU'RE MEAN!!! T-T

D

Deleted member

When Bandana Dee gets announced, we need to do a raid on GameFAQs.
Can't wait for the reactions:
"But I thought he was a Smash Run enemy!"
"What a waste of a slot"
"ANOTHER SPEAR USER!?"
"What is this Kirby clone doing here?"
"If Waddle Dee can be in, so can Goomba"

D

Deleted member

I got a new idea for the Dee being unique. He could have an assist star meter that charges up food items. It would generate food like in Triple Deluxe the more damage/KOs Bandana Dee does, but it would "power down" the more he gets hit/gets KOed. It would go from Ice Cream (normal food heal; easy to get) to the juice shake thing you get before bosses (20% heal; hard to get) to the Maxim Tomato that he gives Dedede (50% heal like Maxim Tomatos; extremely hard to get)

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I got a new idea for the Dee being unique. He could have an assist star meter that charges up food items. It would generate food like in Triple Deluxe the more damage/KOs Bandana Dee does, but it would "power down" the more he gets hit/gets KOed. It would go from Ice Cream (normal food heal; easy to get) to the juice shake thing you get before bosses (20% heal; hard to get) to the Maxim Tomato that he gives Dedede (50% heal like Maxim Tomatos; extremely hard to get)
That'd be amazing, but I feel that isn't gonna happen, cause it would take away some of the unique flair of Little Mac...

D

Deleted member

Nah, I don't think it's necessary, a spear user would be a first timer in Smash, i's almost impossible for Sakurai not see the potential for him, he's even from the game series he created! C'mon Sakurai, use your bias one more time please!

D

Deleted member

Nah, I don't think it's necessary, a spear user would be a first timer in Smash, i's almost impossible for Sakurai not see the potential for him, he's even from the game series he created! C'mon Sakurai, use your bias one more time please!
The only reason I thought of that was because it made him more unique and some complaints saying he would be too much like Marth because he would have a sweetspot at the tip. I know that a spear user is unique enough, but its always nice to have new mechanics.
That'd be amazing, but I feel that isn't gonna happen, cause it would take away some of the unique flair of Little Mac...
How is healing yourself by doing damage and losing your healing items by taking damage similar to a near OHKO punch? Just because the way you charge it up is somewhat similar, its not nearly the same. My mechanic rewards the player for doing well, like Bandana Dee rewards the player for getting so far in the level/world. If you don't do well, you don't get the assist star. Its not like Sakurai cares about Luma taking away from Ice Climbers or Olimar's Pikmin taking away from the Ice Climbers either.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Looks like people are still using the Parasol Waddle Dee in Smash Run argument again... if Bandana Dee doesn't get in it wouldn't have anything to do with the Smash Run enemies.
While this mean that there isn't anymore Kirby veterans that can be secret but it can also imply that there are no secret characters at all. I don't think this hurts his chances that much. I think that the non-reveal of King Dedede FS is worrying because Bandana Dee could easily be part of it. Still there is a large lack of Kirby content in the game with STILL no new Kirby stage.

Bottom line is that I'm so hyped that Mega Knight is returning. I've been waiting for him for months and he looks awesome.
In normal Kirby games Bandana Dee actually fights the normal Waddle Dees, so the Parasol Waddle Dee argument doesn't work.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I hate how the excuse used is, "Goombario should be playable then."
Look, I'm a HUGE fan of the Paper Mario series. I'd love to see Paper Mario before any other character, but this is an awful comparison. Goombario, while important in the original Paper Mario, isn't a main character of the franchise. To my knowledge, Bandana Dee has become a major reoccuring character in the Kirby franchise. If I recall correctly, he is playable in most of the newer games or at least plays some sort of role. If Goombario were to appear, he'd probably appear either as a Paper Mario codec call sort of ordeal, or in Paper Mario's moveset if he were to be playable. Bandana Dee has shown enough merit to be Smash newcomer.

Captain Toad, in my opinion, would make for a MUCH better comparison.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I hate it when people say Bandana Dee would be a joke character, then go and sincerely ask for someone like Goku

D

Deleted member

I hate how the excuse used is, "Goombario should be playable then."
Look, I'm a HUGE fan of the Paper Mario series. I'd love to see Paper Mario before any other character, but this is an awful comparison. Goombario, while important in the original Paper Mario, isn't a main character of the franchise. To my knowledge, Bandana Dee has become a major reoccuring character in the Kirby franchise. If I recall correctly, he is playable in most of the newer games or at least plays some sort of role. If Goombario were to appear, he'd probably appear either as a Paper Mario codec call sort of ordeal, or in Paper Mario's moveset if he were to be playable. Bandana Dee has shown enough merit to be Smash newcomer.

Captain Toad, in my opinion, would make for a MUCH better comparison.
I think that both need to be recognized while arguing for Bandana Dee. Goombario is a helper of Paper Mario that is the most generic Mario enemy with a hat. Detractors perceive Bandana Dee the same way, but as a helper of King Dedede/Kirby. Captain Toad is a much better argument for supporters, since both are apart of a generic species with something to set them aesthetically apart, and both are still very important to their respective franchises, especially when it comes to recent and upcoming titles.

Top Bottom