• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I presume that you were also waiting for the bundle on Nintendo UK's official online-store? :grin:

I got my pre-order in there, today, too. I really like the look of that set of pins.
i was indeed, the pin look nice

the demo was lots of fun for only two levels

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So about Star Allies. So far, Bandana Dee only appears as a part of the artist ability. But at least the only other things that show up are Meta Knight and King Dedede, helping support that he's around their level, even if he hasn't shown up elsewhere, he even uses his spear.

I just hope he actually appears elsewhere. I like having him around. I'm still holding my breath for a boss fight but I am a little worried he won't show up. Even on the twitter artworks, he is quite rare.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
agreed! i thought its been very odd that he hasnt shown up at all in game other than the artist ability. I'm hoping too!

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Speaking of Bandana Dee in Star Allies... :drifloon:
he's right there.png

Bluendana Dee.png

Source:
He only appears at the start and the rest of the video is about Amiibo functionality :drwtf:
It's worth noting BD is the Spear Helper rather than someone like Pierce or Lanzer :drflip:

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Speaking of Bandana Dee in Star Allies... :drifloon:
View attachment 137895
View attachment 137896
Source:
He only appears at the start and the rest of the video is about Amiibo functionality :drwtf:
It's worth noting BD is the Spear Helper rather than someone like Pierce or Lanzer :drshrug:
OK, that is interesting.

Is that Bandana Dee?
We already saw Parasol Dee and he does not have a bandana.
Why does he have a different colour?
Also, is that spear?! Or stick? Or a weird parasol? Haha.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What is going on there? I thought it was confirmed that Spear won't be in the game?

\(°|°)/

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
OK, that is interesting.

Is that Bandana Dee?
We already saw Parasol Dee and he does not have a bandana.
Why does he have a different colour?
Also, is that spear?! Or stick? Or a weird parasol? Haha.
I also thought Spear wasn't going to be in the game but that is DEFINITELY a Spear :drifloon:
So in other words, I think Spear is a Bandana Dee exclusive ability and he is that color because he isn't P1 maybe? I'm not too sure about that tbh, but it kinda makes sense :drshrug:
you see.jpg

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord

YAY! :D I'm really glad to see him back!

(Lowkey want him to be the EX mode character)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Bandana Dee gets his own extra mode I'd say he's almost a lock for Smash Switch.
Even if Sakurai does make the next game, there's no way he can ignore his importance anymore.

\(°|°)/

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I thought it was confirmed that Spear won't be in the game?
It wasn't.

A list was issued of Copy Abilities that have been confirmed so far, and some people claimed that this was all that was in the game.

So in other words, I think Spear is a Bandana Dee exclusive ability and he is that color because he isn't P1 maybe? I'm not too sure about that tbh, but it kinda makes sense :drshrug:
That's exactly what it is. Characters' colours get changed up depending on which player they are.

D

Deleted member

It wasn't.

A list was issued of Copy Abilities that have been confirmed so far, and some people claimed that this was all that was in the game.
Well then, that means Archer might still be in the game after all. That's a relief!

Also I tweeted this just now:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm friggin hyped

\(°|°)/

D

Deleted member

Not Bandana Dee related but...
Why has no one mentioned how amazing this game's soundtrack is so far?

\(°|°)/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... doesn't that mean he's been reduced to a common enemy?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Not Bandana Dee related but...
Why has no one mentioned how amazing this game's soundtrack is so far?
I know! It's absolutely amazing based on the demo. I especially like the Dedede Castle theme and Adventure Wii forest remix.

Nah, something else is clearly going on here. If he was JUST a spear helper, we would have heard about both Spear and of him before now. We were told there were 28 abilities in the game and if spear is just a regular ability than that makes 29.

Bandana Dee seems to be in for something special (also note he doesn't have the Spear Hat like every other helper)

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
No, not yet.

We don't exactly have any context for this, so we don't know what his appearance means. This could be an Easter egg, or something else.

My guess? After achieving major in-game milestones, a major character who you get to play as gets referenced in the tile screen in modern Kirby Games. Dedede flies around the Dream Stalk after finishing Dedede-tour; The Halberd flies in the background after winning Meta-Knightmare Returns; Bandanna Dee appears in this title screen, so I wonder what that means...;)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's pretty neat that, if Bandana Waddle Dee does get chosen for Smash Switch, Kirby: Star Allies will provide him with some ready-made alts.

I still find the alternate colours a little strange, myself, though, because...

... Like Bunnie (from the Animal Crossing series), and Ringotchi (a 2000s Tamagotchi evolution), Waddle Dees are based on sliced apples.

And blue apples are pretty weird. :p

After how they wouldn't even have him slot-share with regular common Waddle Dees who are unrelated to him in Kirby Battle Royale, I doubt that.

What this suggests to me is that recruiting bosses extends beyond the likes of Chef Kawasaki, or what's already been noted above. ;)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
At this point, I'm Thinking Bandana Dee might be the most likely character to get into Smash that's from a franchise already in Smash.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, while not a common "enemy" since they were player characters, Rainbow Curse already basically showed that more than one "Bandana Waddle Dee" exists.

It's Toad all over again.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, while not a common "enemy" since they were player characters, Rainbow Curse already basically showed that more than one "Bandana Waddle Dee" exists.

It's not. There's only one Bandana Waddle Dee.

They actually went out of their way to have the promotional materials for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse provide an official explanation for that gameplay-mechanic. ;)

The two copies are known colloquially as "Error Dee" and "Ham Dee". :laugh:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

That's just for the sake of multi-player. I mean Kirby 64 had multiple Adeleines and King Dedede in its multi-player.

Although Rainbow Curse actually has a story for the multiple bandana dees

D

Deleted member

It's not. There's only one Bandana Waddle Dee.

They actually went out of their way to have the promotional materials for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse provide an official explanation for that gameplay-mechanic. ;)

The two copies are known colloquially as "Error Dee" and "Ham Dee". :laugh:
Are you sure that's canon?
It doesn't really match their in-game descriptions, and other comics feature questionable things like a Waddle Doo having a 3DS system.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
While I admit I may be overestimating his chances a bit. Some people really underestimate Bandana Dee chances as well as his role in the series in general.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Are you sure that's canon?
It doesn't really match their in-game descriptions, and other comics feature questionable things like a Waddle Doo having a 3DS system.
I haven't got a clue if it's canonical, but it's still official promotional literature that's clearly intended to explain this particular one-off game-mechanic (I never bought the game as it never interested me). :p

I had to look up the in-game figurine descriptions, and from what I can see, there's nothing about those descriptions that suggests that Bandana Waddle Dee is multiple individuals or that his case is a Toad-like case - the promotional comic slots right in with the descriptions, in spite of its humour, it seems.

Indeed, seeing that the content in Rainbow Curse doesn't appear to contradict Bandana Waddle Dee being depicted as one unique individual, and that this was done for the sake of a gameplay mechanic that occurred in one side-game, coupled with the fact that they produced promotional literature to differentiate the two additional alternate-coloured versions, it suggests that his is absolutely not a Toad case.

As an aside, I will say that it doesn't help that, at the time of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, they hadn't settled on which name to use for Bandana Waddle Dee, which muddies the waters with the names of the figurines, and which has no doubt caused some confusion out there at some point. They were literally changing between Bandana Waddle Dee and "Waddle Dee" every other game, at that point, before finally settling on Bandana Waddle Dee and now sticking with it.

Still, there's nothing questionable about a Waddle Doo having a 3DS, though, unless the reason is that he can't use the 3D feature. :laugh: Multiple games have shown Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee playing DSes and 3DSes together, after all, and Kirby Super Deluxe featured an accurate representation of the then-current version of MacOS as one of its bosses.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Isn't that like saying more than one Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede exist?

Because we have seen copies of them with different colours when you play multiplayer.

It's just a multiplayer thing that is not really canon.

Luigi is not an unique character confirmed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Isn't that like saying more than one Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede exist?

Because we have seen copies of them with different colours when you play multiplayer.

It's just a multiplayer thing that is not really canon.

Luigi is not an unique character confirmed.
The point was the fact that the other Waddle Dees were treated as individuals much like Blue Toad and Yellow Toad.

Do the other Kirbys, Dededes Meta Knights, Luigis, get their own bios?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The point was the fact that the other Waddle Dees were treated as individuals much like Blue Toad and Yellow Toad.

Do the other Kirbys, Dededes Meta Knights, Luigis, get their own bios?
I'm not sure that I'd refer to light-hearted comedic descriptions of in-game collectible items as factual bios, personally. :p

Bandana Waddle Dee has appeared in nine games, and has been depicted as one unique individual in eight of them.

The same applies to all of the merchandise relating to him that has ever been produced. Waddle Dees get a lot of merchandise, as they're very marketable - if Bandana Waddle Dee wasn't a unique individual, the bucketloads of Waddle Dee-related merchandise (including the upcoming Waddle Dee Collection) would reflect it, too. But it doesn't.

One side-game featured him with two differently-coloured copies, and they created a promotional comic (as part of a series about that game and what's in it) in order to provide an explanation for this specific element.

Occam's Razor tells us that the explanation with the fewest assumptions is the right one. And applying it tells us that Bandana Waddle Dee is one unique individual, as shown in eight out of his nine appearances to date, plus all merchandise ever created that features him.

To take that there are multiple Bandana Waddle Dees in a Toad-like sense from comical collectible descriptions in one side-game with a one-off mechanic involving multiple supporting characters, for which they made a piece of promotional material specifically to explain that, takes a lot more hops.

D

Deleted member

Eh, whatever.

I honestly don't really care either way. No offense.
I'll just concede the whole Rainbow Curse thing and leave it at that.
/shrug

I will say this though.
It seems rather odd if the B.W.D. is the Spear Helper.
The Helpers in this game have the same hats as the ones Kirby gets with the Abilities, right?

Even if Bandana Waddle Dee was a species now (or for the sake of argument, let's say it's supposed to just be a Spear Waddle Dee like in Canvas Curse)....wouldn't whichever kind of Waddle Dee it is have the Spear Kirby hat either on the bandana (if Bandana is a species now) or no bandana at all (if a Spear Waddle Dee)?

It's unlikely to be reflective of a Meta Knightmare/Dededetour mode, since that kind of mode wouldn't feature Kirby alongside Bandana Waddle Dee. I would say it wouldn't feature the Helpers either, but you kind of need the Fire Helper to light the spear on fire....

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Eh, whatever.

/shrug

I will say this though.
The Helpers in this game have the same hats as the ones Kirby gets with the Abilities, right?

Even if Bandana Waddle Dee was a species now (or for the sake of argument, let's say it's supposed to just be a Spear Waddle Dee like in Canvas Curse)....wouldn't whichever kind of Waddle Dee it is have the Spear Kirby hat either on the bandana (if Bandana is a species now) or no bandana at all (if a Spear Waddle Dee)?

It's unlikely to be reflective of a Meta Knightmare/Dededetour mode, since that kind of mode wouldn't feature Kirby alongside Bandana Waddle Dee. I would say it wouldn't feature the Helpers either, but you kind of need the Fire Helper to light the spear on fire....
He could be a miniboss counterpart to Kawasaki, Bonkers, and Bugzy as well. But even THEY get Kirby's copy ability hat when they become Allies. So the thing is either Kirby's new "Spear" hat is Bandana Dee's bandanna, or Bandana Dee is a unique and distinctive ally that might not be a common enemy or miniboss at all.

We can't rule out unique bosses being "allied" at this rate.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Eh, whatever.

/shrug

I will say this though.

We don't know what his role is yet, but he definitely seems to be a special case and NOT just the a spear helper. Spear hasn't even been seen in this yet and as you said, he doesn't have the spear hat. If spear was an ability, it would contradict what was previously said (28 abilities). It seems to be exclusive for Bandana Dee

D

Deleted member

We don't know what his role is yet, but he definitely seems to be a special case and NOT just the a spear helper. Spear hasn't even been seen in this yet and as you said, he doesn't have the spear hat. If spear was an ability, it would contradict what was previously said (28 abilities). It seems to be exclusive for Bandana Dee
It wasn't.

It was never stated there would ONLY be 28 Abilities, apparently.

Another thing to note is that this Dee is blue.
So that implies that all three players that aren't Kirby can be a Bandana Waddle Dee.
Which would ALSO go against the idea of a mode where he is the main protagonist....

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So that implies that all three players that aren't Kirby can be a Bandana Waddle Dee.
Which would ALSO go against the idea of a mode where he is the main protagonist....
Or it implies something more simple: That the game's interface is consistent, and that alternate palettes are applied in the same way to major characters as they are to allies, based on which player has picked them up.

D

Deleted member

Or it implies something more simple: That the game's interface is consistent, and that alternate palettes are applied in the same way to major characters as they are to allies, based on which player has picked them up.
Why would that need to be a thing if only one player can be Bandana Waddle Dee?

That's what I'm getting at. The fact the Dee is distinguished by color means that more than one can be present. Otherwise, it would just be the original red one (which would NOT be present here....)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Why would that need to be a thing if only one player can be Bandana Waddle Dee?

That's what I'm getting at. The fact the Dee is distinguished by color means that more than one can be present. Otherwise, it would just be the original red one (which would NOT be present here....)
It would be a thing because that's how the game's set up. Each player is assigned a colour, and that colour is automatically assigned to any character that that player is controlling. That's been made clear in promotional materials since the game's reveal.

It doesn't necessarily imply multiples of a character, and I'd imagine that there will be cases such as with certain mini-bosses where there will only ever be one that shows up - I don't think that we're going to be seeing a team of Chef Kawasakis, for example, but he'll look different depending on which player-slot has got him.

Top Bottom