• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I remember when Adeleine was announced as a dream friend and at the end of the trailer the Kirby 64 party was shown. Except instead of a normal Waddle Dee, Bandana Dee was there. Implying the same thing.
View attachment 286837
4Kids Dedede: Hehaha! Bandana Dee! You remember little ol Adeleine right? You were with us.

Bandana Dee: I wasn't with you and you mistaken a generic Waddle Dee for me sir. That's racist.

4Kids Dedede: HOW IS THAT RACIST?!!!

Bandana Dee: Because you thought that Waddle Dee was me and we are both Waddle Dees.

4Kids Dedede: Maybe it was your cousin.

Bandana Dee: Really sir? You got to be kidding me. Just no.

4Kids Dedede: I kid you not BWD HEHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Bandana Dee being the spokesperson for Kirby Fighters 2 and getting mad hyped over himself is adorable

Also big brain theory, the reason Bandana Dee has a yellow cloth on his spear now is to put him more in line with his Smash appearance which got that detail wrong, which we'll see when he's announced :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anyone got a translation on his description? Google isn't doing much for me.
This is how Twitter translates it:

" This time it's time to land on the Fighters Coliseum ... That's right! I'm Bandana Waddle Dee! What on earth are you looking at beyond the protruding spear! ?? Is it the battle or the seat of the main character? !! Bandana Waddle Dee, the star of hope in the Zako character world, will go! "

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee being the spokesperson for Kirby Fighters 2 and getting mad hyped over himself is adorable

Also big brain theory, the reason Bandana Dee has a yellow cloth on his spear now is to put him more in line with his Smash appearance which got that detail wrong, which we'll see when he's announced :p
In Japan, a yellow ribbon is actually an honor symbol, so many fans theorize it to be a symbol of honor given to Bandana Dee as a representative of the Waddle Dees.

But then again... I wouldn't be opposed to it being both 🤔

I come back to the site the same day this happens... Pray for the Dee
Ohh boy if it is him I would be so happy I'd replay WoL New Game + as him only. The thing would be perfect for him, too. Let's hope for a Star Allies Miracle!

Last edited:

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
3 minutes until the fighter reveal

hoping for the best

EDIT: no bandana dee and this disconfirms my theory abut 1st parties but this was my biggest 3rd party pick so I'll take it

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that, but I don't think this is the end for Bandanna Dee.
Im honestly worried that the rest of the Pass is gonna be nothing but Third Parties again......god no.

Like im okay with Steve, but nothing but more guests? Please no.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like that people keep saying that first party reps would be boring as DLC and don't get much hype...
Im honestly worried that the rest of the Pass is gonna be nothing but Third Parties again......god no.

Like im okay with Steve, but nothing but more guests? Please no.
Frankly if the last pass and Smash 4's DLC have set a pattern, we won't get more than 2 big third-parties per DLC season.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Frankly if the last pass and Smash 4's DLC have set a pattern, we won't get more than 2 big third-parties per DLC season.
And either way the only really big third-parties we've gotten for Ultimate so far are Hero and Steve. Joker's a recent success, Banjo's a fan-favorite, and Terry's a classic, but they're not huge huge like Hero or the pre-Bayonetta third parties.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I really don't like the generic mook argument but I hate the "bro look at these generic mooks, that means BWD can get in despite the fact that he's more than a generic mook so my argument is basically pointless because I would be contradicting myself" argument even more.
The way I see it, it's saying that if enemies like Piranha Plant, Zombie, and Enderman can be playable, then there's no reason to say that Bandanna Waddle Dee (who's more distinct than them and has a consistently playable role in the Kirby games) can't be playable.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really don't like the generic mook argument but I hate the "bro look at these generic mooks, that means BWD can get in despite the fact that he's more than a generic mook so my argument is basically pointless because I would be contradicting myself" argument even more.
its more about putting the argument to bed altogether

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
That argument is shut down and put to bed by basicallly comparing Bandana Dee to Captain Toad. Both are stand-out members of their species that started to have prominent roles in 2007-2008 and now they basically appear in every 3D Mario / Kirby game with some role because they became staples of their franchises.
Or by saying... what if Goombario or Goombella had become regular cast members of the Mario games since their debuts and never missed out in any game until today? Would some people be claiming for them in Smash? Of course they would.
The "generic mook" thing was nothing but a flawed argument to try to discredit any possible positive argument Bandana Dee fans had and silence them because people using the "Generic Mook" argument are completely ignorant of the Kirby series.

People that prefer Adeleine, Magolor, Marx or another Kirby character. I always enjoy debating with those people, they know who Bandana Dee is and why he has so many supporters. But they prefer another character that think it's more interesting and I respect that.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I dunno who I want more after Bandana Dee. It's between Gooey and Magolor. I love Gooey's depiction from Star Allies onwards (him big derpy), but for another modern rep, I'd be for Magolor. although really, the only Kirby character I'm against is Marx just because he'd represent even more of Classic Kirby, and we sure don't need more of that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't get how Nintendo thinks sometimes as Dee has been in the top 5 most requested range since the Smash Ballot days as he always scores in the top 5 or top 3 in polls. It doesn't make any sense why he isn't in yet as DeeLC would make them a ton of money and he is a 1st party character so they wouldn't have to pay royalties.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't get how Nintendo thinks sometimes as Dee has been in the top 5 most requested range since the Smash Ballot days as he always scores in the top 5 or top 3 in polls. It doesn't make any sense why he isn't in yet as DeeLC would make them a ton of money and he is a 1st party character so they wouldn't have to pay royalties.
well there’s nothing to suggest they haven’t suggested him, we have no idea the extent of characters they may not suggest

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair, he didn't get into his status as fourth player character until after the base roster was finalized. FP1 was chosen alongside the base game, so no Spirits were promoted then. He could have a shot in FP2, but that hinges on if secondary characters (re: Not the main character) are viable (And no, Min Min doesn't count because ensemble cast). With only two characters so far, it's too soon to see any patterns yet.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
If I'm bummed at all, it's because I'd convinced myself that the complete lack of leaker rumblings meant that another first-party rep was more likely. Turns out Nintendo really has put the clamps on the drippy pipe after all...

That argument is shut down and put to bed by basicallly comparing Bandana Dee to Captain Toad. Both are stand-out members of their species that started to have prominent roles in 2007-2008 and now they basically appear in every 3D Mario / Kirby game with some role because they became staples of their franchises.
Or by saying... what if Goombario or Goombella had become regular cast members of the Mario games since their debuts and never missed out in any game until today? Would some people be claiming for them in Smash? Of course they would.
The "generic mook" thing was nothing but a flawed argument to try to discredit any possible positive argument Bandana Dee fans had and silence them because people using the "Generic Mook" argument are completely ignorant of the Kirby series.

People that prefer Adeleine, Magolor, Marx or another Kirby character. I always enjoy debating with those people, they know who Bandana Dee is and why he has so many supporters. But they prefer another character that think it's more interesting and I respect that.
The pro is that he does in fact fill the "Captain Toad" sidekick role rather than that of a Hat Goomba. The con is that Captain Toad isn't in Smash either...

So as I see it, the two major drawbacks for our chances are that he doesn't represent a "new world", which every DLC pass character has, and doesn't bring significantly unique gameplay to the table, which every character except Banjo-Kazooie has.

Banjo breaks quite a few of the "rules" by virtue of sheer fan demand. Hopefully Nintendo will consider Bandana Boi to be the first-party equivalent of that.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Huh, so I guess enough has happened for me to make another appearance after being MIA for a few months. I don't mean for my disappearances to be this long but... this is quite a year.

So, Steve. Good 'ol Minecraft. I understand in the past there was quite the talk about him. That is to say, rumours leaked him and nothing came of it, and a lot were against him. Now that he's finally surfaced from the deep, deep cave he was mining in, my response... I don't really care. By that I mean, I don't hate his appearance in game, don't love it, it just is what it is. I do enjoy Minecraft, and considering the mix of characters Smash has seen over the years, I don't really see him as uncanny, but I've never invested myself in supporting him. He is the indie character if one was to be chosen.

Another thing on my mind, I recall an interview once where Sakurai is talking about characters people have asked for in the past, and finding requests for 'waddle dee' as uninteresting. While at first this sorta concerned me, I now realize this likely stems from the requests before Melee, where Bandana Dee didn't really have a following yet. Hopefully this doesn't reflect his views on Bandana Dee.

Finally, Kirby Fighters 2. I haven't played it yet, hope to at some point, but I will say, I hope this isn't the Kirby game that's been in development. I hear there's Kirby 3D code in the game, giving some hope for a bigger project that Bandana Dee can use for a Smash invite, but the game releasing to such little build up is concerning, especially for a character tie in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If I'm bummed at all, it's because I'd convinced myself that the complete lack of leaker rumblings meant that another first-party rep was more likely. Turns out Nintendo really has put the clamps on the drippy pipe after all...

The pro is that he does in fact fill the "Captain Toad" sidekick role rather than that of a Hat Goomba. The con is that Captain Toad isn't in Smash either...

So as I see it, the two major drawbacks for our chances are that he doesn't represent a "new world", which every DLC pass character has, and doesn't bring significantly unique gameplay to the table, which every character except Banjo-Kazooie has.

Banjo breaks quite a few of the "rules" by virtue of sheer fan demand. Hopefully Nintendo will consider Bandana Boi to be the first-party equivalent of that.
If Byleth's multiple weaponry constitute as a gimmick, so would a pure spear user. Unique and loyal movesets just seem to be something that comes naturally, rather than a necessity.

Top Bottom