• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Do you all ever get the feeling B.W.D. is more likely for FP2? I'm serious, I don't know what it is, but I genuinely feel like he's happening for some reason...
At the bare minimum, he has a chance like any other realistic and reasonable candidate. (Especially if base-game spirits don't deconfirm anymore).
It just depends on the amount of hurdles he would need to leap over in comparison to other potential fighters.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Do you all ever get the feeling B.W.D. is more likely for FP2? I'm serious, I don't know what it is, but I genuinely feel like he's happening for some reason...
To me, it's really going to depend on who the first two characters of the pass are going to be. If the ARMS character is a spirit upgrade and the 2nd pass character continues the 1st party trend, then I think he'll have a real solid shot simply because he's one of the very, very few characters that can act both as a very popular request and a first party promotional pick. Otherwise, I'm not getting my hopes up.

D

Deleted member

I’m not sure myself. I think he has a good chance.

But do I think he’ll get in... Hard to tell. Really up in the air so far.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
I think the first character being a Nintendo spirit/assist upgrade is a very good sign. I predict there will be one or two more Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To me, it's really going to depend on who the first two characters of the pass are going to be. If the ARMS character is a spirit upgrade and the 2nd pass character continues the 1st party trend, then I think he'll have a real solid shot simply because he's one of the very, very few characters that can act both as a very popular request and a first party promotional pick. Otherwise, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Exactly. Dee is so popular and relevant it makes absolutely no sense to me why he isn't in Smash yet. Always being in the top 5 in online polls as well as being a very relevant character should really give him the edge. But that isn't always the case especially with Sakurai. Sakurai's mind is a enigma.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Exactly. Dee is so popular and relevant it makes absolutely no sense to me why he isn't in Smash yet. Always being in the top 5 in online polls as well as being a very relevant character should really give him the edge. But that isn't always the case especially with Sakurai. Sakurai's mind is a enigma.
yeah a character can have everything going for them and still nothing

D

Deleted member

Agreed we never know what the man is thinking.

He very could put Bandana Dee in but maybe not.

I hope it’s more the first option though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the main question about Bandanna Dee is can he have a unique playstyle?

I think he can, if they flip the script on the small characters having bad range. Instead of little stubby punches, BAM spear!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the main question about Bandanna Dee is can he have a unique playstyle?

I think he can, if they flip the script on the small characters having bad range. Instead of little stubby punches, BAM spear!
i mean a small nearly spherical spear/parasol user itsnt really something weve had before

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
i mean a small nearly spherical spear/parasol user itsnt really something weve had before
but would Dee fall flat in range? Meta Knight and Mii Sword (Somehow) manage to be outranged because of their smaller frames. They don't have a huge advantage over Kirby like most weapon wielders because of that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
but would Dee fall flat in range? Meta Knight and Mii Sword (Somehow) manage to be outranged because of their smaller frames. They don't have a huge advantage over Kirby like most weapon wielders because of that.
Aren't their swords kinda short too?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
He fell from 2nd All the way to 9th, so I’m not sure if we should see this as a win.
On the contrary, 3rd Parties are tough competition so to see him holding his ground, even despite all of the DLC which has been released so far (along with the sheer potential of fighters at this point), speaks more volumes than when everything was heavily 3rd Party focused in terms of pre-Byleth speculation/requests.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm surprised Dee and Shantae both ranked much lower this year than last year. Dee was in 2nd place now he is in 9th and Shantae was in 5th place now she is in 13th.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I was expecting mostly third-parties, but that's because there are a lot more choices for them. It doesn't mean the big remaining first-parties aren't still popular.
But they aren't still popular. We live in a world where first parties are essentially Tabuu taboo. Even an ARMS rep, who is guaranteed to be inventive and fun to play with their extendable ARMS, is viewed as "boring". The fact that after a year of 3rd parties and Byleth, the best a Nintendo character was able to get is 9th, says a lot about how unpopular 1st parties are now.

I'm surprised Dee and Shantae both ranked much lower this year than last year. Dee was in 2nd place now he is in 9th and Shantae was in 5th place now she is in 13th.
That was mainly due to the rise of 3rd parties in Bandana Dee's case (keep in mind FP1 at the 2019 point was JUST Joker, so we didn't know that FP1 was gonna be almost all 3rd parties). (Somewhat off topic, but Shantae fell victim to the rise of other indie competitors such as The Knight and Reimu who most of the former Shantae fans probably went to. Shantae just isn't as popular compared to other indie characters. This and her loss against Shovel Knight on DBX are proof of that.). Neither characters stand a chance to get in on fan demand with poor results like that. You need to be top 5 (or maybe even #1) like K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo were to even stand a ghost of a chance.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi, Isaac, and Dixie made it into the top 20, though.

I was expecting mostly third-parties, but that's because there are a lot more choices for them. It doesn't mean the big remaining first-parties aren't still popular.
i dunno as the guy running the thread for the (arguably) biggest 1st party character still not in smash it does feel like most fans just look right over first parties

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Yet, Bandana Waddle Dee got more votes than the vast majority of third-parties. Many Smash fans are satisfied from a first-party standpoint, and have moved on to support various third-parties. That doesn't mean there aren't still lots of fans supporting first-party picks.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Shantae fell victim to the rise of other indie competitors such as The Knight and Reimu who most of the former Shantae fans probably went to. Shantae just isn't as popular compared to other indie characters. This and her loss against Shovel Knight on DBX are proof of that.
I think it's indie fans assuming costumes are the best they'll get.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm glad to see the little guy so high up, especially with everything going against him. Assuming we get a promotion pass like I'm expecting, I'm pretty confident about his chances!

Anyways, may I have my name added to the supporter list?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey, all! So, someone's been busy with an interesting project...

This mod looks so cool. This makes me want Bandana Dee in Smash more now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Cool! Looks like it could be an actual thing, though I personally disagree with the beam scepter. The's a Doo thing, not a Dee thing-Unless, of course, his moveset involves various other Kirby enemies like Scarfies and Bronto Burts, in which it would be a no-brainer.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

Yeah, they've certainly been hard at work preparing him for battle. It's pretty impressive to see how far they've come in such a short period of time.
I guess if Bandana Dee doesn't come to Ultimate, perhaps this could be some sort of compensation prize? (It's way better than a PNG image, anyway).
Although, if Bandana Dee does get into Ultimate... then we have two Bandana Dees to toy around with!

Cool! Looks like it could be an actual thing, though I personally disagree with the beam scepter. The's a Doo thing, not a Dee thing-Unless, of course, his moveset involves various other Kirby enemies like Scarfies and Bronto Burts, in which it would be a no-brainer.
OP stated that it would be a rough copy of Bandana Dee's SSF2 moveset, with a few tweaks so the Beam Scepter was inevitable in this case.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Do y'all think we would have seen any info on the Kirby project if e3 was not canceled?
Most likely, yes. Ever since Triple Deluxe, Kirby's slipped into a nice pattern of a new main game ever two years, with every other year filled in with a couple spin-off titles. All we had last year were a pair of updated re-releases, so this year would've been the perfect spot for a new Kirby game had COVID not been a thing.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Oh this is bad. This is real bad. The next main character doesn't have to be the next rep. This makes Marx's chances SKYROCKET. This is bad. This is bad. I know everyone else is celebrating, but I really don't like the look of this.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Oh this is bad. This is real bad. The next main character doesn't have to be the next rep. This makes Marx's chances SKYROCKET. This is bad. This is bad. I know everyone else is celebrating, but I really don't like the look of this.
First of all it depends on if HAL will request Marx to become playable specifically, like what happened with Min Min.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I think spirits not deconfirming is real good news but I wouldn't get super excited over anything just yet. I definitely think its more worthwhile to see who the next few fighters in the pass are going to be.
Did we not watch the same video presentation? Min Min was chosen because she was specifically requested by ARMS' producer and how Mr. Yabuki believes that ARMS is a series without a main character. It's not really a situation comparable to Kirby or most other franchises for that matter.

Top Bottom