• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Yet, people continuously say that Bandana Dee would be the most boring fighter that could be added to Smash.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Yet, people continuously say that Bandana Dee would be the most boring fighter that could be added to Smash.
I agree, Bandanna Dee is not boring. (He has moveset potential with the Spear/Parasol and Staff Abilities as well the Sizzle/Splash/Bluster/Blizzard and Zap elemental attacks.)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This seems like a point supporting Bandanna Dee (or at least, it counters one of the points that people might use against him):

In theory, there's nothing stopping the developers from renaming the current spirit "Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)" and naming a new one "Bandanna Waddle Dee (Super Smash Bros.)" if he gets in as a fighter.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This seems like a point supporting Bandanna Dee (or at least, it counters one of the points that people might use against him):

In theory, there's nothing stopping the developers from renaming the current spirit "Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)" and naming a new one "Bandanna Waddle Dee (Super Smash Bros.)" if he gets in as a fighter.
Let's just hope there aren't any other video game characters who happen to be named "Bandana Waddle Dee"...

Wait, that's not nearly as common as "Elma". Nevermind.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Had an interesting idea that the Nendroid also brought up, what if the character got in just purely as Waddle Dee, along with the spear being the main weapon but the Bandana is an alt? It'd open up some more unique alts and might be how we get around "Sakurai bias".

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Surface level knowledge leads to surface level thinking. What can you do? They can give him a fun moveset.
This might be bad correlation, but I agree, especially since people still say Isabelle as a fighter in smash makes no sense because "she doesn't look like a fighter". Villager's presumably a kid, you're telling me that they look more like a fighter? Or Wii Fit being a regular fitness trainer? G&W quite literally...well doing the same exact thing as Villager? People assume Waddle Dees or Bandana Dee would be boring or unfitting simply because they don't know/care for Kirby enough.

That's why we get people saying that Dixie wouldn't be an important DK rep, or that Impa wouldn't add some variety to the Zelda reps. Even 'leth brought more to the game than everybody assumed (even though a chain sword by itself would've been pretty unique, only if the Belmonts didn't already cover that).

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Had an interesting idea that the Nendroid also brought up, what if the character got in just purely as Waddle Dee, along with the spear being the main weapon but the Bandana is an alt? It'd open up some more unique alts and might be how we get around "Sakurai bias".
After the whole Piranha Plant ordeal, I'd rather it just be Bandana Dee as a representative for Waddle Dees instead.
He has wielded the Spear and Parasol abilities (most common amongst Waddle Dees) anyway, and no ordinary Waddle Dee has climbed up the ranks like he has. Not to mention that Bandana Dee's skin color is still more red-orange than a typical Waddle Dee, but I won't hold it against the Nendroid creators because that'd be plain silly lol

In short, while I'd take a simple Waddle Dee (probably with a heavy heart, though), it'd basically tear down Bandana Dee's purpose and relegate him to a simple alt costume if anything.
Which would then fuel those silly arguments that Bandana Dee is just a normal Waddle Dee that decided to wear a bandana one day, while wielding a pointy stick.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't want a generic Waddle Dee, I want Bandana Dee the character. They are not the same and they are not interchangable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bandana Waddle Dee would bring a very fun and unique Moveset for sure.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Today I got killed by an Spear F-Smash at 54% as Charizard...... I want Bandana Dee to do the same.

Paraster

Smash Lord

I'd like to think they would use his sprite from Super Star, his debut, for the Fighter Spirit and rename the old one to (Return to Dream Land).

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
You think BWD's side B would be like Byleth's just with the sliding on the ground first? I'd like to imagine it wouldn't be too bad, since Kirby characters (except Dedede) have mii swordfighter range anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You think BWD's side B would be like Byleth's just with the sliding on the ground first? I'd like to imagine it wouldn't be too bad, since Kirby characters (except Dedede) have mii swordfighter range anyway.
id think his side special would be the spear throw, not sure he has any moves like byleth

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Side Special would be Spear Throw, yeah.
His Dash Attack could be the Grounded Spear Swipe move from Star Allies, (quickly pressing the A button again would activate Spear Vault).

P47

Smash Apprentice
His Dash Attack could be the Grounded Spear Swipe move from Star Allies, (quickly pressing the A button again would activate Spear Vault).
With a mechanic like that, the distance it covers in game, and it being his unique move that separates him from Spear, I feel like it's more suited to being a special move. His dash attack could just be the good 'ol slide.

Also I've played 150+ hours of Star Allies and I had no idea Bandee could pole vault out of Ground Thrust lmao. There's so many little things in this game I love it

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So Somecallmejohnny (a Youtuber) just posted his review of Kirby's Dream Land 2, 3, and Super Star. During the portion where he talks about Super Star Ultra's Revenge of the King, he notes how Bandanna Dee is the last line of defense Dedede has, and despite knowing he didn't stand a chance, he went up against Kirby anyway because he was THAT loyal to his king. I thought that was a nice mention.
Yeah, I liked that too. I also remembered him saying that Sakurai disliked sequels (making a joke about how many sequels Smash has now). So... I guess we aren't wrong, there is some kind of preference to his older games than the newer ones.

Sorry for posting about this late, lol.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
With a mechanic like that, the distance it covers in game, and it being his unique move that separates him from Spear, I feel like it's more suited to being a special move. His dash attack could just be the good 'ol slide.

Also I've played 150+ hours of Star Allies and I had no idea Bandee could pole vault out of Ground Thrust lmao. There's so many little things in this game I love it
(I only learned about the pole vault a few days ago, myself)

and you're not wrong, it's just that I personally felt conflicted on what his moveset should be lol

See, I thought his Neutral B should be Parasol Aqua Shot (an exclusive Waddle Dee move from Kirby Battle Royale)
But then, I thought it should've been Waddle Spear Throw (w/ Chargeable Triple Throw)
But, if Side-B was Ground Thrust, then Waddle Spear Throw wouldn't fit into the moveset properly if Aqua Shot still remained

11th

Smash Apprentice
I'd put Ground Thrust in as his down special, and possibly borrow & modify/expand on Corrin's pin for the vault variation. I'm not sure if it would be better for the vault to automatically activate upon sweetspotting, or remain manually activated with an extra A-press, though... or how it would function in the air.
But given how every Kirby character has had a self sacrificing move at some point, I'd be tempted to go down that route. :v

As for the rest of his specials, I'd probably go with:
Neutral - Spear Throw, hold to charge for multiple spears.
Side - Parasol Drill, short dive forward + reflector. (Parasols reflected in Smash Run.)
Up - Spearcopter.
But I'm open to other ideas.

FancySmash FancySmash : I'm pretty sure that the disdain for sequels is a bit of a misinterpretation? I don't think Mr. Sakurai minds sequels existing, but he doesn't seem to enjoy working on them as much because he likes trying to design new things. Sequels usually come with the expectation that gameplay will remain somewhat familiar, meaning that there's less room to experiment.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I'd put Ground Thrust in as his down special, and possibly borrow & modify/expand on Corrin's pin for the vault variation. I'm not sure if it would be better for the vault to automatically activate upon sweetspotting, or remain manually activated with an extra A-press, though... or how it would function in the air.
But given how every Kirby character has had a self sacrificing move at some point, I'd be tempted to go down that route. :v

As for the rest of his specials, I'd probably go with:
Neutral - Spear Throw, hold to charge for multiple spears.
Side - Parasol Drill, short dive forward + reflector. (Parasols reflected in Smash Run.)
Up - Spearcopter.
But I'm open to other ideas.

FancySmash FancySmash : I'm pretty sure that the disdain for sequels is a bit of a misinterpretation? I don't think Mr. Sakurai minds sequels existing, but he doesn't seem to enjoy working on them as much because he likes trying to design new things. Sequels usually come with the expectation that gameplay will remain somewhat familiar, meaning that there's less room to experiment.

I was thinking Down-B could be Ground Thrust, but I was also thinking that Down-B could be reserved for something like an Elemental (from Star Allies) Toggle.
Considering how crazy Elemental Abilties were in Star Allies, bringing them into a game like Smash would really spice up someone like Bandana Dee's abilties.

Also, most of the DLC fighters so far have had one pretty neat gimmick attached to them, so giving Bandana Dee the same treatment would probably only make him more fun to play.

11th

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking Down-B could be Ground Thrust, but I was also thinking that Down-B could be reserved for something like an Elemental (from Star Allies) Toggle.
Considering how crazy Elemental Abilties were in Star Allies, bringing them into a game like Smash would really spice up someone like Bandana Dee's abilties.

Also, most of the DLC fighters so far have had one pretty neat gimmick attached to them, so giving Bandana Dee the same treatment would probably only make him more fun to play.
I figured that Ground Thrust could give him a fairly unique tool without going too crazy, kind of like Banjo & Kazooi's Wonderwing. Dee is still a Kirby series character, after all, and he needs to be fairly beginner friendly because more casual players and children will gravitate towards him. Not necessarily Kirby's level of beginner friendly, but still approachable.

Plus, adding elements means either creating hitboxes and effects for a 5-in-1 moveset, or at least figuring out what each element will add to existing hitboxes without being OP.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I picture Bandana Dee in Smash having Elemental attacks with his Final Smash being Megaton Punch or Waddle Dee Ball or either Friend Train.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I figured that Ground Thrust could give him a fairly unique tool without going too crazy, kind of like Banjo & Kazooi's Wonderwing. Dee is still a Kirby series character, after all, and he needs to be fairly beginner friendly because more casual players and children will gravitate towards him. Not necessarily Kirby's level of beginner friendly, but still approachable.

Plus, adding elements means either creating hitboxes and effects for a 5-in-1 moveset, or at least figuring out what each element will add to existing hitboxes without being OP.
Fair enough, considering that the Elemental Abilities weren't always a part of Bandana Dee's kit anyway (not to mention that they can be used by any playable character in Star Allies, so it's not even a Bandana Dee exclusive thing). Still would be cool, though lol

I'd just hope to still prove wrong the people who would think he'd be too boring to play, but even I still liked Banjo's "laid-back" moveset.
Perhaps if Bandana Dee has more combo potential alongside a slightly more simplistic moveset, he could still be really fun.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Fair enough, considering that the Elemental Abilities weren't always a part of Bandana Dee's kit anyway (not to mention that they can be used by any playable character in Star Allies, so it's not even a Bandana Dee exclusive thing). Still would be cool, though lol

I'd just hope to still prove wrong the people who would think he'd be too boring to play, but even I still liked Banjo's "laid-back" moveset.
Perhaps if Bandana Dee has more combo potential alongside a slightly more simplistic moveset, he could still be really fun.
I really feel that Bandana Dee should/would only have a gimmick of Elemental abilities if only to satisfy haters who think that he’d be boring and/or anyone who thinks all new fighters need a gimmick. Although at that point he’d already be in and those detractors would be silenced. As for the Ground Thrust everyone’s been talking about, I could see it being either dash attack, side special (if you want to implement the spear vault, you can just have the player input upwards or the jump button) or down Special if there’s no element gimmick.

Unrelated, but if you guys had the chance to make Bandana Dee not be a Waddle Dee (or any generic enemy species) anymore, but still keep his main character status in order to finally get rid of the Goomba Argument for good, would you?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I really feel that Bandana Dee should/would only have a gimmick of Elemental abilities if only to satisfy haters who think that he’d be boring and/or anyone who thinks all new fighters need a gimmick. Although at that point he’d already be in and those detractors would be silenced. As for the Ground Thrust everyone’s been talking about, I could see it being either dash attack, side special (if you want to implement the spear vault, you can just have the player input upwards or the jump button) or down Special if there’s no element gimmick.

Unrelated, but if you guys had the chance to make Bandana Dee not be a Waddle Dee (or any generic enemy species) anymore, but still keep his main character status in order to finally get rid of the Goomba Argument for good, would you?
Yeah, you've got a point there, as long as he's in the game as something other than a PNG image.

Also, to tell you the truth... no.

I wouldn't change much about Bandana Dee, especially if the controversy surrounding him is made up of 95% ignorance.
Perhaps a proper name like "Bandee" "Bandy" would've encouraged less of a fuss about his uniqueness, and if it weren't for Star Allies bringing every playable character into a spotlight, Bandana Dee would've gotten his own mode by now.

However, overall I don't really care. They could've even shorted his name up to Bandana Dee and I would be satisfied.

I like Waddle Dees, I like the Spear/Parasol Abilities, I like Bandana Dee's character arc, and I like Bandana Dee.

P47

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that'd help much. The only reason that 'argument' exists is because people are ignorant about Kirby games. That's the real issue. If they actually cared they'd just go back Magolor instead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i dont think detractors are ever silenced

D

Deleted member

I would never want to remove what makes Bandana Dee special.

So I would say no. Don’t even know why that Goomba argument exists.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I would never want to remove what makes Bandana Dee special.

So I would say no. Don’t even know why that Goomba argument exists.
The infamous video of GameXplain where Ash says he's not worthy of being in Smash because he's a "goomba with a hat", ingnited everyone who doesn't know anything about Kirby to parrot that mindlessly. Not that it matters anymore :ultpiranha:. But it never did in the first place. Bandana Dee is very similar to Captain Toad. Both are indentificable individuals of their species that became regular characters in their franchises since 2007-2008.

I think Bandana Dee's biggest realistic threat was ironically.... Sakurai's Anti-Modern Kirby bias Kirby Star Allies, that made almost every relevant Kirby character playable and a possible Smash candidate to everyone's eyes, but I don't see much support for anyone else besides Adeleine and Marx (Which died after he was revealed as a boss).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dang that so huh? Respect the heck out of the GameXPlain crew. But hey they got their options That’s fine.

Bandana Dee is not a generic enemy can use a spear, and possible parasol and other moves from the other Waddle Dees.

I hope people see his uniqueness and great aspect of him being a character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dang that so huh? Respect the heck out of the GameXPlain crew. But hey they got their options That’s fine.

Bandana Dee is not a generic enemy can use a spear, and possible parasol and other moves from the other Waddle Dees.

I hope people see his uniqueness and great aspect of him being a character.
lets just hope they dont make up excuse to hate on the character

you know anymore than usual

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
The infamous video of GameXplain where Ash says he's not worthy of being in Smash because he's a "goomba with a hat", ingnited everyone who doesn't know anything about Kirby to parrot that mindlessly. Not that it matters anymore :ultpiranha:. But it never did in the first place. Bandana Dee is very similar to Captain Toad. Both are indentificable individuals of their species that became regular characters in their franchises since 2007-2008.

I think Bandana Dee's biggest realistic threat was ironically.... Sakurai's Anti-Modern Kirby bias Kirby Star Allies, that made almost every relevant Kirby character playable and a possible Smash candidate to everyone's eyes, but I don't see much support for anyone else besides Adeleine and Marx (Which died after he was revealed as a boss).
In another video, the BWD vs Captain Toad "debate" I think, GameXplain pretty much did the same exact thing again, implying that Captain Toad doesn't count as "upgraded generic" because he had his own game, but BWD does..... Then they kind of going on a journey about how cool it would be to make CT into a gimmick character (garbage jump gets better after you throw out loads of projectiles) and that BWD wouldn't have a unique gimmick. All in all, you can clearly tell which character they have a strong bias for. I have nothing against those guys, but it really bugs me that they indirectly made a load of people use "goomba with a hat" as an against argument, even after Piranha got in.

They're either both upgraded generics, or the opinion is bias. Take away BWD's bandana, and he's almost no different from the Spear Waddle Dee enemy, besides that he's red. Take away CT's pick, light and backpack and he's just Red Toad.

I don't mean to be rude either, but it always feels like a majority are okay with the idea of Mario getting more fighters, but it becomes a warzone if somebody merely mentions that TLOZ and Kirby haven't had a true new fighter since Brawl. I don't get it??? Mario is the face of Nintendo, but his franchise takes up an entire row, if you rearrange the fighters by series.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
In another video, the BWD vs Captain Toad "debate" I think, GameXplain pretty much did the same exact thing again, implying that Captain Toad doesn't count as "upgraded generic" because he had his own game, but BWD does..... Then they kind of going on a journey about how cool it would be to make CT into a gimmick character (garbage jump gets better after you throw out loads of projectiles) and that BWD wouldn't have a unique gimmick. All in all, you can clearly tell which character they have a strong bias for. I have nothing against those guys, but it really bugs me that they indirectly made a load of people use "goomba with a hat" as an against argument, even after Piranha got in.

They're either both upgraded generics, or the opinion is bias. Take away BWD's bandana, and he's almost no different from the Spear Waddle Dee enemy, besides that he's red. Take away CT's pick, light and backpack and he's just Red Toad.

I don't mean to be rude either, but it always feels like a majority are okay with the idea of Mario getting more fighters, but it becomes a warzone if somebody merely mentions that TLOZ and Kirby haven't had a true new fighter since Brawl. I don't get it??? Mario is the face of Nintendo, but his franchise takes up an entire row, if you rearrange the fighters by series.
Same with Pokemon and Fire Emblem. It's sad that Kirby and Zelda have not gotten a new rep for years. (Kirby cause of the Super Star bias.)

Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem series: Always being so damn greedy and takes an entire chunk of the roster with their many characters.

Kirby, Zelda, Wario and Yoshi series: Can't even get a single new fighter.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

I guess the Bandana Dee spirit being an enhance of normal Waddle Dee didn't help. Captain Toad is also an enhancement of normal Toad but you can't compete against Mario's massive popularity. Everyone that has played Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, 3D World, Treasure Tracker or Odyssey already knows Captain Toad is an unique character. I could say the same for all the Kirby games since Ultra. But Kirby's player base isn't comparable to the biggest videogame franchise of the world ,neither is Fire Emblem's.

I would actually love if they would release a new compilation of the DS games for Switch (Because they are becoming really expensive, specially Ultra >_>) or an HD collection of Return to Dreamland / Triple Deluxe / Planet Robobot with the Star Allies engine and a port the underappreciated Rainbow Curse (Because it seems like the new Kirby game is a long way ago). That would make Bandana Dee way more known against ignorant people.

But trolls will always exist. That's something you can't just get off until the character finally gets in. I speak as a Dixie fan that usually gets some reply from some inmature dude calling her "wig Diddy". Makes me want to slap DKC2 in his face and force him to beat everything.

Top Bottom