• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balance tweaks you'd like to see in the patch

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
More lag on Sheik's attacks, all of them. Make Diddy's Up air have less knockback.

Also for those of you who say Villager's pocket should be needed by reducing the amount of times they can pocket, if the item is holdable, they can't pocket anything else but the item in their hand. Also items in their pocket disappear after 30 seconds.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
More lag on Sheik's attacks, all of them. Make Diddy's Up air have less knockback.

Also for those of you who say Villager's pocket should be needed by reducing the amount of times they can pocket, if the item is holdable, they can't pocket anything else but the item in their hand. Also items in their pocket disappear after 30 seconds.
Except for Wario's Bike, Bowser Jr.'s MechaKoopa, and ROB's Gyro... They stay with him as long as he keeps Pocketing the item back inside before the 30 seconds are up.

TriTails

Smash Lord
It seems to me the main problem with heavies in this game is their Fairs:
:4ganondorf:
Wat wat wat wat wat wat.

Dude, do you know HOW great Ganon's F-air currently is?
- Deals bleeping 17%
- Absurd killing power for this kind of F-air (No need to sweetspot like Knee)
- Hitbox is bigger than a continent
- Okay end lag

The windup isn't all that long, and the reward you get for hitting it is pretty crazy. You don't gimp people with this, you just ****ing plant your fist to their face and and you got a KO.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
Except for Wario's Bike, Bowser Jr.'s MechaKoopa, and ROB's Gyro... They stay with him as long as he keeps Pocketing the item back inside before the 30 seconds are up.
That is the only way he can do it. You can knock the gyro and mechkoopa out of his hand when it is out. Also Wario's bike gets thrown out very far sometimes out of Villager's reach and you can get it back.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nerfed diddy and either sonic or mewtwo gets the top spot.

But im going to beat the snot out of sakurai for removing charizards super armor on the rock smash attack.
(Lucas trailer ahows him PK firing charizard while doing rock smash and it broke threw the armor.)

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Nerfed diddy and either sonic or mewtwo gets the top spot.

But im going to beat the snot out of sakurai for removing charizards super armor on the rock smash attack.
(Lucas trailer ahows him PK firing charizard while doing rock smash and it broke threw the armor.)
...Or it could break Armour...

In which case, R.I.P :4littlemac:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Other than nerfs to characters like Diddy and Sheik, what I would like to see most are some significant changes to Dark Pit and Lucina so they aren't almost exact clones.

Dark Pit could be slower and more powerful, Lucina could be weaker but faster.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
If I only had one buff/nerf for each character:

:4bowser: Less endlag on Whirling Fortress in general.
:4bowserjr: Fsmash buffs. Especially the hitbox, because it wiffs too much.
:4falcon: Less landing lag on Fair/The Knee.
:4charizard: Less landing lag on Fair/The Claw.
:4darkpit: Electroshock Arm sends opponents at a lower, more horizontal angle.
:4dedede: Gordo buffs. Either pre-patch Gordos making them harder to reflect, less endlag on the Gordo Toss itself, or etc.
:4diddy: Uair nerfs. Comes out slower (frame 3 is just silly), less damage/knockback, etc.
:4dk: Kong Cyclone nerfs. In particular removing/nerfing the super armor it has.
:4drmario: The ability to snap to ledges almost immediately after the last hitbox of Down B comes out.
:4duckhunt: Improved linking on the hits of his Smash Attacks. Especially Fsmash.
:4falco: Less endlag on Blasters.
:4fox: Less endlag on Shine/Reflector.
:4ganondorf: Jab buffs. Less startup and endlag in particular. Maybe an improved hitbox too.
:4gaw: Faster Usmash.
:4greninja: Less startup lag on Fair.
:4myfriends: Less endlag on his Smashes.
:4jigglypuff: Less endlag on Dair.
:4kirby: Very slight improvement in aerial speed.
:4littlemac: Improved shield stun/damage on his Smash Attacks. Especially Fsmash and its variants.
:4link: Improved knockback on the final hit of his aerial Up B.
:4lucario: A little bit less endlag after landing on the ground during his vulnerable aerial state.
:4lucina: Damage/Knockback improvements throughout her moveset, to make her moves safer on shield and her benefits more pronounced in comparison to Marth.
:4luigi: Changing the tapping B button function of his Luigi Cyclone to holding B instead, so people don't break their controllers.
:4mario: A small increase to Uair's damage.
:4marth: Slightly increased running speed on the ground. Also applies to Lucina. (Because I'm a cheater like that :troll:)
:4megaman: Make the sourspot hit on Flame Blast last almost to the very end of the animation, to make the move safer.
:4metaknight: Less startup lag on Fsmash.
:4ness: Dair buffs. Especially to its startup lag.
:4olimar: Removal of the Order Tackle glitch.
:4palutena: Removal of the infinite Lightweight glitch.
:4pacman: Grab hitbox/duration buffs. Having the grab pull people in during the entire animation, and not wiffing at the furthest range.
:4peach: Adding a sourspot on her Bair that will last until the end of the animation, after the sweetspot.
:4pikachu: Heavy Skull Bash nerfs. In particular, removing the ability to quick-charge the move by smashing it.
:4pit: Less endlag on his grounded Arrows of Light. Also applies to Dark Pit. (Because I'm a cheater like that :troll:)
:4rob: A bit less startup lag on Nair.
:4robinm: Less landing lag on his Nair.
:rosalina: Shooting Star Bit nerf. Far damage reduced from 5% to 4%, medium-close damage recuded from 4% to 3%.
:4samus: Dsmash buff. Have it send opponents at a higher angle with increased knockback. (Easier edgeguarding for Charge Shots)
:4sheik: Increased landing lag on Fair.
:4shulk: ...I honestly have no idea?
:4sonic: Damage nerfs across the board. Especially Spin Dash/Spin Charge -> Nair. +30% damage is just nonsense.
:4tlink: Improved knockback on the final hit of his aerial Up B.
:4villager: Extreme Balloon Trip nerf. Grabbing the ledge results in the balloons disappearing instead of exploding.
:4wario2: The ability to jump off of his bike while preforming a wheelie.
:4wiifit: Improved hitboxes in general, to better help her hit small characters.
:4yoshi: Increased damage on his throws in general.
:4zelda: Less endlag on her aerials in general.
:4zss: If possible, decreasing the hitstun on Uair without nerfing anything else. Either way, a small nerf to Uair.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

:4charizard: Less landing lag on Fair/The Claw.
:4dedede: Gordo buffs. Either pre-patch Gordos making them harder to reflect, less endlag on the Gordo Toss itself, or etc.
:4diddy: Uair nerfs. Comes out slower (frame 3 is just silly), less damage/knockback, etc.
:4dk: Kong Cyclone nerfs. In particular removing/nerfing the super armor it has.
:4drmario: The ability to snap to ledges almost immediately after the last hitbox of Down B comes out.
:4duckhunt: Improved linking on the hits of his Smash Attacks. Especially Fsmash.
:4ganondorf: Jab buffs. Less startup and endlag in particular. Maybe an improved hitbox too. And increase his grab range as well.
:4greninja: Less startup lag on Fair.
:4littlemac: Improved shield stun/damage on his Smash Attacks. Especially Fsmash and its variants.
:4lucario: A little bit less endlag after landing on the ground during his vulnerable aerial state.
:4lucina: Damage/Knockback improvements throughout her moveset, to make her moves safer on shield and her benefits more pronounced in comparison to Marth.
:4luigi: Changing the tapping B button function of his Luigi Cyclone to holding B instead, so people don't break their controllers.
:4marth: Slightly increased running speed on the ground. Also applies to Lucina. (Because I'm a cheater like that :troll:)
:4megaman: Make the sourspot hit on Flame Blast last all the way to the end of the animation, to make the move safer.
:4palutena: Removal of the infinite Lightweight glitch.
:4pacman: Grab hitbox/duration buffs. Having the grab pull people in during the entire animation, and not wiffing at the furthest range.
:4peach: Adding a sourspot on her Bair that will last until the end of the animation, after the sweetspot.
:4pikachu: Heavy Skull Bash nerfs. In particular, removing the ability to quick-charge the move by smashing it.
:4pit: Less endlag on his grounded Arrows of Light. Also applies to Dark Pit. (Because I'm a cheater like that :troll:)
:rosalina: Shooting Star Bit nerf. Far damage reduced from 5% to 4%, medium-close damage recuded from 4% to 3%.
:4samus: Dsmash buff. Have it send opponents at a higher angle with increased knockback. (Easier edgeguarding for Charge Shots)
:4sheik: Increased landing lag on Fair.
:4sonic: Damage nerfs across the board. Especially Spin Dash/Spin Charge -> Nair. +30% damage is just nonsense.
:4villager: Extreme Balloon Trip nerf. Grabbing the ledge results in the balloons disappearing instead of exploding.
:4wiifit: Improved hitboxes in general, to better help her hit small characters.
:4yoshi: Increased damage on his throws in general.
:4zss: If possible, decreasing the hitstun on Uair without nerfing anything else. Either way, a small nerf to Uair.
Fixed :4ganondorf: for you XD :p

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

:4charizard: Increased air mobility
:4ganondorf: Jab buffs. Less startup and endlag in particular. Maybe an improved hitbox too.
:4greninja: Less endlag on shurikens
:4littlemac: Increased shield damage and hitbox size on Up Aerial to be able to deal with platform camping. Maybe a bigger fullhop too.
:4megaman: Make the sourspot hit on Flame Blast last all the way to the end of the animation, to make the move safer.
:4palutena: Less lag on tilts, especially Ftilt
:4pacman: Increased damage on Dair
:rosalina: Weaker Up Air
:4sheik: Increased endlag on needles
:4sonic: Less kill potential on Bthrow, keep the same otherwise
:4yoshi: No change needed
:4sonic::4yoshi::4palutena::4pacman::4greninja::4charizard::4littlemac::rosalina::4sheik: FTFY, ur welcome :chuckle: :troll:

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
I can't be the only one who feels shields are to durable in this smash am I? Really hope shield recharge rate is lowered.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Wait, hold the button down Cyclone?

Nah, Luigi's recovery would be so good with that (Though, I don't mind). Maybe less mashing or something, unless holding the button gives you max height :troll:.

By the way...
:4pit: and :4darkpit: :Fix their rapid jabs so people don't fall out from the last hit and manages to PS and punish the **** out of you.

:4sonic:: Decrease U-smash's KB. Too stronk for the guy who always says 'U2SLOW!'.

:4charizard:: Fly does not reset airspeed.

:4dedede:: Small airspeed buff. Like, dude, I know you are a fat penguin and penguins aren't supposed to fly, but... seriously...

Braydon

Smash Ace
A general change to all counters. Can't be blocked by Shield
I'd rather just the frame data be changed on ones that can be blocked so there's not enough time. If you make it pierce shields then in a match with more than 2 you could also catch other people who couldn't block.

Seems I was confused on charizard, hadn't played him in a while, the problem is the priority, you have to get out the entire attack before they react (not likely) or they'll just override it, basically any other arial overrides it and it only hits like 11% which for a heavy is like wtf?

Needs much higher priority on arials, and some damage.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
To be honest Im not hard into competitive math to know exactly what each character needs. But I'll say stuff that I would like and doesn´t sound overpowered at all (DISCLAIMER: while Im joking and should not be taken seriously at most of these. They express true feelings on what I personally think that should be changed/looked at, especially at the first two character which I wish they buff heavily).
:4charizard:
-Make Flare Blitz super armor through all projectiles so I can say "IM COMING AT YO FILTHY CAMPER!!!".
-Nair now spins twice in the same amount of time. What for? Too look more awesome of course.
-Give me a way to actually use Bair and not completely goof off.
:4zelda:
-Storable Phantom, but in exchange Zelda gets heavier and slower because carrying a big armor suit does that to you.
-Fsmash actually connects all hits. Faster Ftilt.
-No free falling on Din´s Fire so I dont kill myself like a doofus. I already have to deal with Farore´s tyvm.
-1% more damage on Utilt would be bonkers.
-Something something Project M.
:4palutena:
-Side taunt now spins twice in the same amount of time. What for? Too look more awesome of course.
-Mix her customs in her default version each patch? Nah. Maybe less endlag on tilts...
:4drmario:
-Muh Melee Fair.
:4dedede:
-Sakurai if you nerf the crouch taunt I'll hunt you.
-I say bring back the 1.0.1 Dthrow in which you could connect 2 Fairs.
:4metaknight:
-Better hitboxes so I can play him without sucking.
:4roy::4morton:
-Im still wishing they could look less sick and reduced (I dont mind buff :4lemmy:).
:4mii:
-Make them playable in For Glory but I guess that boat has sailed.
:4sonic:
-Actually nerf him so I can see people say "Cool, you play Sonic!" like in Brawl days instead of "Ugh, you play Sonic?".
:4falco:
-If you are gonna bring Wolf back I'll just wait for him so no problem here.

Stage wise: Put airwings shooting at you on Lylat Cruise. That way, they will ban it and I wont die smashing my head against the ship when recovering.
And probably some items like Gust Bellows should be nerfed. But items. amirite?.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario really needs buffs, he's much slower, his Fsmash has a sweet spot in an inferior place, his jab is less likely to connect all hits, his recovery is worse, his up special is worse, and he lacks the grab combo, with barely better damage as his only upside...

Dr. Tornado is his only other potential advantage, but it's really not as useful as F.L.U.D.D. in most cases FLUDD is just going to vastly outshine Dr. Tornado. For Dr. tornado to even compare it would need higher priority.

-Weight increase to be equal to either link or wario
-Increase priority of Dr. Tornado and increase damage 20%
-Increase priority on Dair, Fair, and dash attack
-Slightly decrease down throw fixed knockback so he can get in one Utilt afterward
-Slightly increase air speed
-Move Fsmash sweet spot to his hand so it's actually better than mario's
-Decrease knockback on the first two jab combo hits so it doesn't knock people out.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Buff for my mains:

:4kirby:
- Hammer just needs to be faster, even if they make it way weaker. It's just not useful at all.
- Slight knockback buff for either up-throw or f-smash.

:4megaman:
- I honestly don't think he needs any tweaks. Maybe improving Leaf Shield a bit?

:4wiifitm:
- Please give this man (or woman) something against small characters. His hitboxes are terrible and it's a nightmare playing against Olimar or Pikachu. I think this alone would make WFT a much better character.

- It'd be cool if his tornado would trap opponents like Luigi's does.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Now what you're saying just makes falco and dr mario closer to fox and mario. Falco needs range on smashes and or more power so he stays the slower clone.
Falco doesn't need to be slower than Fox. He's not a clone anymore, he's more of a semi-clone. And i'm sure Wintropy didn't mean that he wanted Falco to be as fast as Fox. Just faster than he is now. Falco needs less lag and slightly faster running speed far more than he needs to be stronger. The priority should be: 1. Less lag 2. Slightly faster run speed and more power (tied)

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I can't see Nintendo not nerfing some characters. As much as I would prefer to have lack luster characters buffed, that way of balancing games can be a bit difficult because some big buffs can have unforeseen effects on the meta and make another Diddy.

For Nintendo's sake, it's much easier to normalize balance changes around characters in the middle, and that's what they have done and will probably do in the future. As long as Nintendo doesn't balance like Riot, who are the worst at balancing game(s?) at the moment imo, things should be fine.

Braydon

Smash Ace
I can't see Nintendo not nerfing some characters. As much as I would prefer to have lack luster characters buffed, that way of balancing games can be a bit difficult because some big buffs can have unforeseen effects on the meta and make another Diddy.

For Nintendo's sake, it's much easier to normalize balance changes around characters in the middle, and that's what they have done and will probably do in the future. As long as Nintendo doesn't balance like Riot, who are the worst at balancing game(s?) at the moment imo, things should be fine.
Actually the reason you balance to the middle is because if you just kept giving everyone more power it would make matches wind up getting shorter and shorter.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Actually the reason you balance to the middle is because if you just kept giving everyone more power it would make matches wind up getting shorter and shorter.
One of the reasons, yeah. That'd be interesting though, I'm still hoping for 3 stocks to be standard one day though, so maybe that's not such a bad thing...

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'd like them to nerf :4fox::4diddy::4darkpit::4sonic::4lucario::4megaman:

Fox hits like a truck, is extremely quick, has an amazing recovery, and has tremendous knock back. Plus he his smash attacks come out extremely quick, and he has that annoying laser gun. (Which should also be nerfed.)

Diddy is way to fast, and I feel like some of his attacks and combos do to much damage.

All Dark Pit's do is spam the elctro-shock arm. Do you know how annoying that is? Especially since it breaks shields in two hits, and basically has super armor.

Sonic isn't really that bad. I just feel as if he does way to much damage. Plus there are a lot of people who spam down-b.

Lucario's double rage is stupid. Plus most players that use him do that annoying crab move or spam aura balls.

Mega Man's move set just seems lazy in general. Look at SMF2. At least he isn't spammy in that. Not just that, but they should nerf the sticky bomb move. That's extremely annoying.

Buffs :4littlemac::4robinm::4falco:

Give Little Mac's recovery a boost. I mean seriously. I'm tired of playing Mac, and my opponents just staying near the ledge and trying to grab me.

Why are Robin and Falco so slow. Especially Falco. He used to be extremely fast. Now his dash looks stupid. Plus his grab could have more reach.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I just now noticed that there's an entire set of topics in this forum instead of simply being a gateway to the character-specific boards. Silly me.

Fair warning, a fair chunk of my proposed changes are due to salt, at least in part. But hopefully they'll still be reasonable.

:4diddy:
Monkey Flip puts Diddy in helpless fall.
Monkey Flip changed so that tapping B does the grab, holding B does the kick.
Up air changed to have more base knockback and less knockback growth.
Down throw changed so that it sends opponents further behind Diddy.

:4sheik:
Needle Storm only causes hitstun when fully charged. Individual or partially charged needles act like Fox's Blaster.
Bouncing Fish no longer bounces when it hits a shield.
Burst Grenade no longer puts Sheik in helpless fall.

:rosalina:
Luma's base knockback slightly reduced across the board.

:4robinm:
Thoron damage slightly increased.
Grab end lag slightly decreased on whiff.

:4marth:
Forward air gets additional autocancel frames.

:4lucina:
Small damage increase on all moves.

:4samus:
Missile end lag reduced.
Super Missiles knockback growth increased so they can kill around 150%.

:4olimar:
Order Tackle amplification glitch fixed.

Up tilt damage increased by 1%. </s>
Din's Fire no longer puts Zelda in helpless fall.
Adjust forward smash hitboxes so the move properly links together.
Down throw hitstun increased.

:4dk:
Giant Punch no longer puts DK in helpless fall.

:4ness:
PK Flash no longer puts Ness in helpless fall.

:4gaw:
Slightly reduced landing lag on all air attacks.

:4wiifit:
Additional sourspot hitboxes on most moves that let her hit people not actually touching her limbs, but for much less damage and knockback. (Think Zelda's sourspot kicks.)

:4miisword:
Gale Slash ending lag reduced.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Diddy Kong's Up Air does 100% damage always :troll:
Super Sonic lasts 2 minutes :troll:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather see buffs than nerfs. Just buff the characters that seem underwhelming.

D

Deleted member

Instead of balancing all of the characters, I'm just going to post the stuff I'd like to see the most since I don't feel like writing for very single character atm.

:GCR::GCA:
Would like it if you could hit human characters up close without it missing.
:GCB:
Would like it if it was a little faster and a bit stronger in close and mid range.
Would also like it if you didn't go to fall status while using it.

:GCD::GCB:
Would like it if it was a bit faster in start-up and traveled a bit further.

:4robinm::4robinf:
Would like it if Jab tomes were separate from Up B tomes or, if not that, global tomes extended by 3.
:GCZ:
Better grab.
:4diddy:
:GCU::GCA: (aerial)
Less knock back.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Better hitboxes in general on :GCA: moves.

:4jigglypuff:
:GCR::GCB:
Make it carry puff forward again.

:4pacman:
:GCD::GCB:
Make it less endurant as I feel it gets in the way of matches with how much 'health' it has right now. Make it only shoot water once.

I actually dislike the entire idea around this move and would rather have it removed if I had control over the game, but that's not happening haha. It's for a few reasons, 1. it's a hazard type move that puts up a wall anywhere in the arena, 2. can be used as a long distance spike, and has a few chances to knock back or edge guard for how long it stays up.

I don't feel Smash should have stuff like this in the game as it becomes rather random and dulls out the experience imo. I don't mind zoning at all and honestly encourage it, but this move is different than any other move in the game and it just seems way too random and an annoyance for me to be considered 'fun' or a good idea.

:4littlemac:
With Little Mac I'm aware he doesn't top tournaments, but my decision isn't based upon tournament results but more so lower level of play and the idea around his character being polarizing to a lot of the cast in lower level play and also lower tier characters. I've thought a lot about this and I feel Little Mac honestly gives a hard time to most, if not all lower tiers specifically due to his hyper armor and speed and nothing else. Instead of nerfing his hyper armor and KO strength, I propose slight nerfs in his speed so that more characters can accommodate this essentially stronger version of a heavy character that's even faster.

Generally in other Smash games there wasn't a character this polarizing for lower level play, Ike was probably the most in this regard but his flaws were more apparent and didn't have the sheer speed or hyper armor Little Mac has.

Run speed toned down very slightly.
:GCLT::GCL::GCR:
Roll Speed toned down slightly.
:GCR::GCA:
Speed toned down slightly since it has Hyper Armor.

In an ideal world I'd actually completely redesign the character and take away the Hyper Armor and boost his recovery options as I don't like the idea around this character and feel it's bad design with how polarizing he is to himself and other characters.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Honestly, not much.

- Obvious tweaks to Diddy. Even the high level players in my area that play Smash 4 can't stand him
- Universal buffs to characters like Samus, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac
- More shield stun
- Less invincibility frames on rolls

You guys complain about Sanic and Sheik way too much. Learn how to outprioritize Sheik's aerials (she trades horribly), and punish Sonic's sideB efficiently, even if it involves shield camping. Git gud.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I heard this on twitch, but I'll say it here. I would like to see all character lower than Sheik on the tier list to be buffed to her level, and have Sonic and Diddy nerfed a bit.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is getting so hyped over the upcoming patch, but Sakurai doesn't care for competitive smash. The aspects that need tweaking the most probably won't get fixed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom