• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad recovery?

Zenithal

Smash Rookie
Can people really say that about Wolf? It seems he has much better recovery than say... everyone's favorite pretty boy Marth or Captain Falcon, Yoshi, etc. Yes, it isn't top notch Pit/MK type recovery, but I think it's just as good if not better than the other spacies. The angle on side b gives it a better horizontal range than the others, if only by a bit, and while fire wolf isn't as far reaching as the others, it still has **** good range if you angle it right.

Also, the point of Nintendo giving him a smaller recovery range was the trade off that he is heavier, and therefore won't get knocked back as much. Plus the fact that he is pretty strong for how fast he is, your damage shouldn't be much higher than your opponents, if it isn't lower at any given time.

What I'm trying to say is, many people, especially those on the tier list discussion (and yes, I know most of them are full of crap anyway) condemn Wolf to obscurity because they have trouble recovering with him. If he is played right, and it is true you can say this about any character, recovering shouldn't be a problem at all, unless you get knocked below and far from the stage, in which case most characters are ****ed anyway besides those with multi jumps.

What I think is really going on is the fact that Wolf was amazing when people first got him (f-smash was assumed to be the most broken thing for the longest time, along with his laser), so now many just want a reason to hate him. I'm not saying he's the best, he's top tier, etc., but he is definately one of the better pick-up-and-play characters out there, but unlike most of the other characters that can be played like that, he actually has a lot of potential to be great. So, yeah, his u-air and d-air have lag, and his recovery is only good instead of godly, but, in my opinion anyway, his pros far outweigh his weaknesses.

And before you start calling wolf (no pun intended) on fanboy-ism, I main MK, then Toon Link and Pit, and Wolf only on occasion.

/rant

Wow, wall of text, sorry, lol.

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
His recovery distance is pretty good, but his UpB is predictable and easy to gimp. Also, if you miss with his UpB you're pretty much screwed because you can't move after it (at least not enough, soon enough, to matter).

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
The fact that wolf can scar any stage is soooo good. (yes I found a way to do it on any stage). Also with side b being cancellable, it gives you a good high recovery ability, since it can literlaly take you from one side of the stage to the other. His side B is where all his recovery ability lies.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Wolf's recovery is bad at all, it simply just takes some practice to get good at using it. For horizontal recovery, I just use his Side-B. Even his Up-B isn't bad. Sure, you can't DI after using it, but it still has a very long range, more so than Fox and Falco ( I think ).

The other day I was playing against a Falco player on Wi-Fi. We were both down to our last stock, he knocked me off the stage and then chased after me and hit me with his Fair. I thought it was over for me since I was so far from the stage, but amazingly Wolf's Up-B recovery was long enough to get me back to the stage while Falco tried using his, it didn't even bring him close to the ledge.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
His recoveries fairly good, side b mindgames are so fun and great to hit. Although I gotta disagree that he's an easy pick up and play character. Sure that fsmash is dangerous in even the dumbest of hands (look at my wolf :D) but this is the time people cuss the recovery. Come on, how many times startin out did you see the bottom of FD at 30%? It's just a bit tricky startin out and some people just drop him to early with this mindset.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Haha i agree with sess..but yah wolf is an awesome char imo and he is in the process of converting me to main him and second TL instead of the opposite..=O Much more fun to use

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
I, uh, still accidentally kill myself sometimes. Usually when I'm trying to spike someone. Sigh.

Wolf's Up+B is actually really good for recovering. I can do it from off screen below FD. The problem is getting the angle right.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
Only complaint i have is after the up-B you can't drift at all, you're falling straight down whether you like it or not. Other than that, wolf does NOT have a bad recovery. After you get knocked way out there, DI'ing toward the stage, then using your jump and either up-B or illusion (dunno if they call it the illusion, i'm just a melee fanatic haha) will almost always be enough to get you back on the stage safely.

Fat Otaku

Smash Apprentice
I agree that it is a very gimpable recovery. Against a MK this really does cause problems as you have to aim and fire your ^B before they get in range to hit you as it is charging up. I do like it however. Mostly because it can be used as a horizontal attack and a great mix-up between laser and illusion.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Any time you can have a chance to survive with wolf illusion, go for it. It goes further than his Up-b and won't leave you dieing 1 pixel away from ledge-grab range on numerous occasions -.-

Redemption

Smash Cadet
His distance recovery is good. What makes his recovery questionable is that you have to angle it perfectly, and sometimes the slightest incline can catch you under the stage (FD...). And for some reason, after his U-b, he loses all momentum and just drops. So you will basically be pixels away from the stage and not grab it, yet I've seen characters latch on as if they just tethered

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I think his recovery is alright. Not the best, but it's decent enough. I tend to use his over B much more than the Up B. I like having the potential spike when someone tries to edgeguard.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Main problem is how small of an edge sweetspot he has. His Side B is a pretty good recovery move, but I HATE when that weird thing happens when you fall from the edge. I mean you can still use Up B or even double jump, but...

Wolf's recovery is pretty darn good. I'd rate it greater than or equal to Fox's. His Side B helps because he's the fastest falling character in the game, so despite Fox being close to that, you need some vertical movement for his Side B to work. :p

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
If mastered correctly, his recovery options are beyond bad, or average. The fact that you still have to ability to spike the opponent upon edgeguard is simply amazing, making a wolf player feel even more at ease. I agree with most of the statments here, although I did question the fact that you said his U-air has lag..which isnt true xD

D

Deleted member

It's just getting used to where you can use it... But the rule of thumb is to only use his Up-B only if you're below the level, because his illusion goes farther and has a better attack coming to the ledge, plus you can scar and lightstep the ledge... just keep practicing the angles, and you'll get used to it... after that, it's not so bad

Patinator

Smash Champion
It's just getting used to where you can use it... But the rule of thumb is to only use his Up-B only if you're below the level, because his illusion goes farther and has a better attack coming to the ledge, plus you can scar and lightstep the ledge... just keep practicing the angles, and you'll get used to it... after that, it's not so bad
Lightstep? Please explain. :O

But yeah. Up B is only useful for vertical recovery. And maybe a surprise attack if your opponent stinks.

Actually, sometimes when I'm horizontally parallel with the stage, I use Up B horizontally as an attack. It ain't too bad.

Coming from a person trapped in a wi-fi-less life.
:p

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Just because wolf's recovery isn't bad doesn't mean you won't kill yourself a lot if you try risky spikes. Which is why people think his recovery is worse than it is, I think.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
I find wolfs recovery pretty dang bad. His recoverys the whole reason I started using pit, so many times did I mess up the Up b and go directly up and cry NOOOOO grab on!!! Dont fall down right next to the ledge graaaaab it!!! Well um anyways his recovery isnt the best but it can be interrupted if he needs to do vertical and not horizontal.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
I find wolfs recovery pretty dang bad. His recoverys the whole reason I started using pit, so many times did I mess up the Up b and go directly up and cry NOOOOO grab on!!! Dont fall down right next to the ledge graaaaab it!!! Well um anyways his recovery isnt the best but it can be interrupted if he needs to do vertical and not horizontal.
Hard to use recovery and bad recovery are not at all the same thing. Also, if you're doing vertical distance with it (which is the main reason you should use it over Wolf Flash), you should be pretty far below the stage in the first place, so it makes it pretty hard to gimp without killing yourself, I would think.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
i actually find pit's recovery one of the easiest to gimp. you can basically tap him with any attack while he's using the wing's of icarus and he's dead. wolf's is way harder to interrupt. of course, as pointed out, it's not the easiest to get use to. but it's by no means bad imo.

White_Lightning

Smash Journeyman
I think I know why people call his recovery bad. It's not really the Up+B move itself, but I think it's Wolf's falling-speed. When falling vertically, you can't waste anytime in trying getting to get to the ledge. Many inexperienced players make this mistake. Often they wait to long or they don't position themselves correctly when using Up+B.

Browny

Smash Hater
wolf has a good recovery, if you were comparing it to the melee cast.

fact is, wolfs recovery just isnt anywhere near as good as majority of characters in the game. i can only think of a few (olimar, ivysaur, mario, ganon, Link, ike) that have more trouble recovering than wolf. its not the fact that his recovery doesnt go far (is goes pretty far i know), its moreso because he falls like a rock, and there is a very small timeframe in which he can use his recovery otherwise anyone can edgehog him with proper timing of invincibility frames. this doesnt really apply to someone like captain falcon and marth, since not only do they jump higher and fall slower, thier recoveries have a lot of damagin frames to make edgehogging quite difficicult. its not hard to do with practice, but its considerably easier against wolf

---
lol, guy above me beat me to it :p
---

Top Bottom