• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Charizard Matchups (first impressions)

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
The one matchup thats hard for me to get in is on Rosalina you have to be like super, you cant rush her down.
If anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
The rosaluma match up is hard but its winnable u just have to be careful and not to let luma be your main focus...flamethrower helps alot too by chiping at luma's life points and we ALL know what hapoens to a risa without her luma :3 use those 10 secs of free time to eat her up

-LzR-

Smash Hero
From my experience Bowser is a tough matchup. He is pretty much the only character in the game who we don't want to trade with and trades are a huge deal for Zard. Land a Blitz on Bowser that didn't kill? Almost nothing gained, he is heavier and he will kill you earlier. Only use it for killing. If customs are on DR is an obvious choice.
His Flamethrower, Fair and Uair are just better versions of Zards.
His sideB will eat up any attempt of using super armor. That thing also kills really early.
Basically Bowsers attributes just remove whatever Charizard is as a character.

I really need help with the matchup too... I have like 10% win rate against Bowser. No matter if it's a pro or your grandma playing Bowser.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
4 key things Zard has over Bowser: speed, grab range, a reliable Dair spike, and Rock Smash. Flare Blitz doesn't feel as potent in this MU so I'd go with Dragon Rush as well.

IMO Bowser vs Zard is one of the more even MUs in the game that basically comes down to who does better in footsies.

Last edited:

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
I feel bowser is a real test of skill but our flamethrower is way better than his because even tho his is longer the ends of his doesnt stun and people can get out earlier. Charizard has more range on most of his moves and the Nair kills alot of bowsers approaches. The only thing we gotta worry about is Oos fortress and if we feel like we can grab him up until he doesnt feel thats a good tactic to use

Leftyloo

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips for fighting against a Zelda? I have a really tough time with her (and shiek as many have stated). But I find Zelda to be a tougher match up for me.

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
What kind of zelda gives u trouble? The neutral b spamming kind or the defensive kind that runs and does dins fire? If its the neutral b spam one then u have to try and space with your f tilts. It doesnt have a hurtbox at the end so u can catch her on the neutral b cooldown. If its the defensive one then u have to chase her when she runs while looking out for her f tilts (they come out mad fast and have good knockback to reset the din fire spam) shes slow so u can close the distance quick. As always, look out for stray sweet spot Bairs :/ all zeldas what to catch u with this (it kills mad early)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... Tips on ZSS:4zss:?

She's winnable, but she combos so well, she's really mobile and her Side B shuts down most things. Even Rock Smash.

What's a Zard to do?:4charizard:

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I haven't played against very experienced ZSS players, but here's what I think:

- Nair should beat out her down B (by hitting her as soon as she's vulnerable)
- Flare Blitz through her Paralyzer, especially if she charges them.
- Try the JC/sliding Rock Smash against her side B.
- You don't want to be directly above her. Ever. Up B can kill, and Up Smash covers a lot of options... except maybe Rock Smash.
- Her grab is mediocre, so shielding should be safer than usual. Don't turtle too much, though.
- If you use Flamethrower, stop as soon as she escapes. She can easily use Down B to attack.
- She's pretty light, so try to get a feel for her kill %s. Fly has some armor on it, so if it trades with her up B, or the first hit of her F-air, chances are she's dead.

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
Mario and Doc cant recover from through flamethrower at all. Unless there are some spin shenanigans I have yet to see, they just fall to their death. Luigi has his green missile which makes his recovery a bit safer.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Mario and Doc cant recover from through flamethrower at all. Unless there are some spin shenanigans I have yet to see, they just fall to their death. Luigi has his green missile which makes his recovery a bit safer.
All you have to do is just attack Luigi, or intentionally get hit by him, when he uses Green Missile and his recovery is almost always done for.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can I say just how much I hate Zard vs Robin?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
No idea. The priority on her moves, as well as Luma's, have insane priority and come out incredibly fast. I'm trying out strategies myself, including dashing in with Rock Smash, jumping in with Nair, etc. Can't say anything for sure quite yet.
Aim for Luma. It's quite easy to kill it actually. Once you hit Luma, it loses it's magnet to Rosalina, which means it's as good as dead with a hit near the ledge. Doing so leaves Rosalina almost powerless. I've made many R&L's quit on me (and even SD on me) because I kept killing Luma before I started thrashing Rosalina.

Last edited:

King Kong

Smash Lord
What about DK, guys?
I try not to compete with DK's aerials. His B-air comes out quickly, and he seems to have more mobility in the air than Zard. Ithink it's best to stay grounded when possible.

I think that Zard is great at edge guarding DK, but DK can kill you at very low percentage if he catches any mistakes. An even matchup in my opinion, maybe a little in Zards favour, as I feel he has slightly better approaches.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Playing Luigi is ****ing hell. Our combos are much harder to land on him, fireball camp, his moves tend to eat through our shield, and he combos the hell out of us. One of the worst mu's in the game for us, imho.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Also, Little Mac is terrible. Would go my mediocre Pocket Diddy in a heartbeat.
It's actually quite easy for me, you just do t trade with him.

Shield and grab instead.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Also, Little Mac is terrible. Would go my mediocre Pocket Diddy in a heartbeat.
Back throw kills at 0% if you f-air and follow up correctly with proper reads. Also forward smash goes through both his recoveries including his up B cus Mac doesn't instantly ledge grab and Charizard's forward smash has invincibility and a hit box that goes under the stage.

Last edited:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Back throw kills at 0% if you f-air and follow up correctly with proper reads. Also forward smash goes through both his recoveries including his up B cus Mac doesn't instantly ledge grab and Charizard's forward smash has invincibility and a hit box that goes under the stage.
Really? I'll have to look at that Fsmash hitbox again.

Also, I'm sure my winrate against Mac is like 20%. I've been facing really good Macs lately and I just get outsped by his cheese every time I get near him. FB gets shielded and I get KO punched. GG If anyone has any advice on how to get him into the air easily, that'd be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If anyone has any advice on how to get him into the air easily, that'd be great.
Play defensively-ish, then grab him when you get the chance. After that, it's a matter of throwing him near the closet edge, where you can mess up with recovery with Flamethrower.

Edit: I had some matches with a friend earlier today. Even though we generally consider me to be the better of the two of us, his Link really game my Charizard a tough time with his projectiles. When I tried to camp on top of the platforms, he would just use his u-air or angle is boomerang. If I tried to attack from above, I'd get an Up Smash to the face(though thank goodness for Rock Smash and Flamethrower for helping me around that sometimes). I somehow managed to win, but I felt really pressured throughout the match and really had to rely on mind games.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
There's no stopping Pikachu as 'Zard. Most attacks seem to pass over him, and his speed is super-effective!

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Pikachu is definitely annoying. This is one matchup where you really have to use the disjoint on Charizard's tail, and you also can't use Rock Smash and Flare Blitz recklessly. Just remember that he's light - a down throw, fair, or sweetspot ftilt can do it if you can't KO him by 130% or so. I would take Rock Hurl and Dragon Rush for this, if customs are allowed.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Falcon. He outspeeds him easily and unlike someone like Fox who can`t kill heavies, every one of Falcons moves is a kill mvoe and easy to connect, especially on a giant hurtbox like Charizard.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Falcon. He outspeeds him easily and unlike someone like Fox who can`t kill heavies, every one of Falcons moves is a kill mvoe and easy to connect, especially on a giant hurtbox like Charizard.
I agree. Falcon is possibly the hardest matchup.

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
From what I've experienced:
Luigi, Captain Falcon, Link, Rosalina, Mega Man, and Duck Hunt seem to be the more difficult match ups.

Crash40

Smash Rookie
Well, Olimar tends to give me a hard time... Mostly cause the only moves that get rid of Pikmin are DSmash and Rock Smash... Plus, if you have Pikmin on you Flair Blitz stops it as it starts, since Charizard technically hitting the Pikmin.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
THIS. I had the toughest time against a robin the other day. How the hell are you supposed to approach?
How does Robin wall Charizard out? Thunder isn't spammable and Arc Fire leaves Robin wide open. Does a fullhop Flamethrower not cover a lot of options? JC Rock Smash at close range, maybe? I guess tanking the hits with FB is risky.

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Worst matchups in my experience: olimar, rosalina, ness, DDD, cpt falcon. But I don't know which of these if any are unwinnable and he has a pretty good matchup spread considering the whole cast.

Top Bottom