• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Back to the Ring: Little Mac Support Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't been here for a while, but I will say that Jolt Haymaker is one of the few attacks that Little Mac needs improvements on. For starters, its BKB strength is lacking, meaning that it's not safe to use that attack at low damage percentages; fighters can punish Little Mac right back, even if they do get hit.

Also, KO Uppercut's super armor duration when used on the ground needs to be longer.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
a new Little Mac main here. pretty bummed out by the removal of the cyan alts, but I'm still glad Wire Frame and its hoodie version is back! anyway, other than the alts, looking through his changes list on SmashWiki, pretty much every problem playing with him I can instantly recognise from 2 days worth of maining him casually (I sometimes play For Fun, sometimes I play For Glory!) is fixed in some way

PF9

Smash Lord
I was able to obtain a Little Mac Amiibo recently, which is how I intend to have the character available ASAP.

I will subsequently train the FP, and name him Rocky. Whoever gets the reference gets a cookie.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I think everyone gets the reference. Even those who haven't seen the movies will understand.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I confess I've been losing hype for the Mac.

He was the Character I was most hyped about in Smash 4 next to Megaman. And both share my 2nd-3rd best charact that I know how to use.

But... The fundamentally flawed design is start to take it's toll.

Like, if he's supposed to be awesome on the ground... Then by all means go all the way. They did go all the way in making him useless in the air. Both for attack and recovery.

What could they improve based on his ground-hogging playstyle? Make grab better, and give him kill throws for crying out loud.

You're telling me Marth can raise his toothpick arm and kill an opponent with an up+throw, and Mac can't punch to the chin to deliver a killing blow from a grab?

Also, it starts to suck when you realise you're 1 mindgame away from losing a stock, constantly. That's far less work your opponent has to do to KO a Mac player.than the other way around.

So to put things from my perspective:

Ground game:
- Neutral (really good)
- Grab game (bad)
- KO punch (good)

Air game
- Attacks (really bad)
- Recovery (really bad)
- KO punch (bad)

I'm really not that happy with Mac anymore. And he's my 2nd favorite Nintendo character ever. I'm going to try him out a lot in ultimate, but if he's mostly the same, I'm afraid I'm sending him to the bench. Probably replace him with PT, Cloud, &or Simon.
Heck, I've been getting better results with Pit.

Sorry, I know this is a support Thread.
There are a few changes I really like, like Jolt haymaker, and the auto-edge-snap.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

He was the Character I was most hyped about in Smash 4 next to Megaman. And both share my 2nd-3rd best charact that I know how to use.

Like, if he's supposed to be awesome on the ground... Then by all means go all the way. They did go all the way in making him useless in the air. Both for attack and recovery.

What could they improve based on his ground-hogging playstyle? Make grab better, and give him kill throws for crying out loud.

You're telling me Marth can raise his toothpick arm and kill an opponent with an up+throw, and Mac can't punch to the chin to deliver a killing blow from a grab?

Also, it starts to suck when you realise you're 1 mindgame away from losing a stock, constantly. That's far less work your opponent has to do to KO a Mac player.than the other way around.

Ground game:
- Neutral (really good)
- Grab game (bad)
- KO punch (good)

Air game
- Attacks (really bad)
- Recovery (really bad)
- KO punch (bad)

I'm really not that happy with Mac anymore. And he's my 2nd favorite Nintendo character ever. I'm going to try him out a lot in ultimate, but if he's mostly the same, I'm afraid I'm sending him to the bench. Probably replace him with PT, Cloud, &or Simon.

There are a few changes I really like, like Jolt haymaker, and the auto-edge-snap.
They do have the little changes that I think improve him a lot though. His standard special can change directions which is already great, haymaker in the air is amazing for recovery standards, and I'm like 200% sure you're able to snipe KO punches from underneath various platforms now with that vertical reach.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I hope all us Mac mains are prepared for a new era of ledge -> backthrow.

At least a well timed spotdodge will do wonders.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I hope all us Mac mains are prepared for a new era of ledge -> backthrow.

At least a well timed spotdodge will do wonders.
I've GIMPED Macs but I have yet to get GIMPED.

I am fearful as are the Chrom mains.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There needs to be a discussion over optimal recovery.

Right after more serious discussion over what is the optimal costume.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There needs to be a discussion over optimal recovery.

Right after more serious discussion over what is the optimal costume.
Define "optimal recovery", are you talking about avoiding being GIMPed or just how to recover?

I'll only play Wireframe if they fixed that weird ass bug where Doc only says like 2 total lines out of the like 7 he has in the victory screen. Otherwise SNES colors.
Untitled.png

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Little known fact from smash4, using an aerial before upb or sideb will very slightly increase your distance. Just pop nair before using one. Most noticeable with upb. Still works in ultimate.

With airdodges being more punishable, its going to be hard to make it back.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Define "optimal recovery", are you talking about avoiding being GIMPed or just how to recover?

I'll only play Wireframe if they fixed that weird *** bug where Doc only says like 2 total lines out of the like 7 he has in the victory screen. Otherwise SNES colors.
I was thinking Blue Mac but that works too.

I'm wondering how to get anywhere near the edge consistently when all Simon and Richter have to do is use any move.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Being able to snipe a KO Punch underneath platforms is great, but why do I have to launch myself like a beyblade if I use it while running? If I miss and I go offstage I might as well just drop.

I'm wondering how to get anywhere near the edge consistently when all Simon and Richter have to do is use any move.
To attack or to recover?

All I do to take away a Belmont recovering is a slap in the F(-)A(ir)ce. If they're too far and they whip tether there's nothing you can really do about it, I can't even think of one person who could immediately beat that.

Recovery is also a bit iffy because there's a lot of specifics. If an axe is coming at you from above or below and you're very close horizonatally, just air dodge in the direction towards the ledge and you'll probably grab it fine. If it's at that part of the arc and you're not close at all, I've been able to make it back by countering the axe. The cross is the same, just counter and you should snap back. And if it's holy water I give up and throw the game away because I should never be hit with that in the air. Whip-wise I also counter.

Call me a barbarian or a brainlet but counter just hasn't let me down yet :drshrug:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Being able to snipe a KO Punch underneath platforms is great, but why do I have to launch myself like a beyblade if I use it while running? If I miss and I go offstage I might as well just drop.

To attack or to recover?

All I do to take away a Belmont recovering is a slap in the F(-)A(ir)ce. If they're too far and they whip tether there's nothing you can really do about it, I can't even think of one person who could immediately beat that.

Recovery is also a bit iffy because there's a lot of specifics. If an axe is coming at you from above or below and you're very close horizonatally, just air dodge in the direction towards the ledge and you'll probably grab it fine. If it's at that part of the arc and you're not close at all, I've been able to make it back by countering the axe. The cross is the same, just counter and you should snap back. And if it's holy water I give up and throw the game away because I should never be hit with that in the air. Whip-wise I also counter.

Call me a barbarian or a brainlet but counter just hasn't let me down yet :drshrug:
I'll try that out. Any more tips for the transition? I've been tooling around but school hasn't allowed me to really dig into what Mac has to offer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'll try that out. Any more tips for the transition? I've been tooling around but school hasn't allowed me to really dig into what Mac has to offer.
My online is poopoo but this is just what I naturally do against these kinds of attacks if my main goal is to blow up reach the ledge only

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Little mac got nerfed in such dumb ways. You cant side b again after getting hit- making matchups like falco and d/pit really bad. It also makes side b on stage risky to use. Like if you wanted to use it like in his smash 4 trailer where he uses intangibility to jump over projectiles- thatd be so risky.

They also nerfed his fair where you cant shorthop them with no landing lag. Its one thing to have weak and no range aerials, but to also have ending lag??

Dtilt followups are fewer now. Dtilt to upb is a no-go. You can do dthrow to upb now but dtilt used to be the best. Dtilt to sideb has a smaller dmg% window now where it is true making it suckier.

Cant do jump cancel KO punch or ledge jump KO punch

Cant upsmash bombs and tank it with super armor

Ftilt still inconsistent with connecting both hits, despite the overall multi hit / jab combo being fixed

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Ya know, I was really hoping for a high or even high mid tier mac this time around, make him finally viable, seeing as they finally made his recovery somewhat competent and usable, but no they completely gutted the thing that made him any sort of decent in the first place, which was his combo game, WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY SCREW HIS TILTS OVER. That's like brawl falcon, you make him some insanely combo heavy character, but make the game itself have barely any combo potential at all if not none, Mac needed his combos in order to even stand a ghost of a chance against the likes of sheik and netta in smash 4, in this game, where combos are more important than ever, he's left out from the hay day or combos given to characters with already existing combo games or giving characters without any real combo game, an actual combo game. honestly this is the stupidest design choice given to a veteran character throughout all of smash ultimate. Fix it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ya know, I was really hoping for a high or even high mid tier mac this time around, make him finally viable, seeing as they finally made his recovery somewhat competent and usable, but no they completely gutted the thing that made him any sort of decent in the first place, which was his combo game, WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY SCREW HIS TILTS OVER. That's like brawl falcon, you make him some insanely combo heavy character, but make the game itself have barely any combo potential at all if not none, Mac needed his combos in order to even stand a ghost of a chance against the likes of sheik and netta in smash 4, in this game, where combos are more important than ever, he's left out from the hay day or combos given to characters with already existing combo games or giving characters without any real combo game, an actual combo game. honestly this is the stupidest design choice given to a veteran character throughout all of smash ultimate.
Mac's FTilt has always been jank. The only thing that I dislike is not being able to use haymaker again once you're hit.

Or adapt to it. My focus isn't really on combos, it's more preventing combos or breaking them with super armor or reading out with heavy punishes. DTilt to Uppercut don't work, but for me UTilt can usually follow into it at low percents. I hit 2 mil with GSP. I don't think that's a lot but for Mac I think that's considerably good.

Bleezyy

Smash Cadet
Ok guys, I just got the game.
I took sets off some of the best players with mac in 4.

Now Ultimate we have a lot of problems, its honestly like starting over.

I havent been able to do many dtilt combos. It's actually really bad.
This game seems like the Utilt is more effective.
On heavys I as able to utilt utilt dtilt fsmash up.
seems like we cannot dtilt to KO anymore.
we also have a lot less hit confirm kill options.
Going to be up all night learning new things but honestly this is really bad and im really disappointed in the nerfs.

I don't understand he was already hard to use, why make it harder?
Ugh whatever .. We are in this together and we will figure it out .. STAY STRONG mac friends.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just went like 0-20 against a Ridley.

Not even kidding it was worth it. Getting your guts stomped in makes you learn.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bullcrap lmao I never actually liked mac over other, good characters that can actually play the game and you know, RECOVER.
There are plenty ways you can recover with Mac. People are so obsessed with gimping him that they forgot he has a counter that pushes him forward.

He's not the best, but only true lads can master the power :214: The only Little Macs I face in Elite Smash are myself, so I take it not many have done so.

Bleezyy

Smash Cadet
There are plenty ways you can recover with Mac. People are so obsessed with gimping him that they forgot he has a counter that pushes him forward.

He's not the best, but only true lads can master the power :214: The only Little Macs I face in Elite Smash are myself, so I take it not many have done so.
same here , but i got to admit he took some pretty harsh nerfs this game.

tronixton

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5867-4401-4506
Ill admit he has weaknesses, but i love mac as a character, and I feel like he has potential.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ill admit he has weaknesses, but i love mac as a character, and I feel like he has potential.
He has potential if you read every move your opponent does. :redface: Also if they don't know about KO Punch snipe or fastfall KO Punch

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only buffs that I think Mac truly needs is being able to use Side-B again after being hit or not having FTilt be janky.

buffing his aerials and only his aerials seems like an insult

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Ground game:
- Neutral (really good)
- Grab game (bad)
- KO punch (good)

Air game
- Attacks (really bad)
- Recovery (really bad)
- KO punch (bad)

.... Oh boy... And this was before I tried Ultimate Little Mac.
You can bet your sweet chocolate bar I hung my gloves in this game, and picked up a Buster Sword.
(Still use him for fun, though).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
.... Oh boy... And this was before I tried Ultimate Little Mac.
You can bet your sweet chocolate bar I hung my gloves in this game, and picked up a Buster Sword.
(Still use him for fun, though).
i have no clue on how to use cloud, but everyone who intends on maining mac should probably have a backup if they're trying to be competitive.

my backup is big boi ganon :ultganondorf:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i have no clue on how to use cloud, but everyone who intends on maining mac should probably have a backup if they're trying to be competitive.

my backup is big boi ganon :ultganondorf:
Really? He felt natural to me. (I even broke every mode's record on my 3DS the first few days after I got him).

Oh Ganondorf's pretty good this time around, si great pick!
I used to be Sonic /Mac / Mega

Now I'm going Cloud / Mega / Sonic
(And a bit more casually)
Belmonts / P.T. / Pits / ROB / Princesses / >Mac< / Samuses.

At least I haven't dropped Mac completely like I did Ryu.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
So, did this fly under everyone's radar or is it just not a big deal even to Mac mains?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Huge congrats to Sol in any case. Too bad there's no footage available.

While I'm here, might as well talk a little about Mac:

I feel the problems with his recovery are way overstated. Barring a semi-spike or a meteor, I make it back to the stage like 90 % of the time. My guess is everyone's way too predictable or uses Jolt Haymaker in a bad spot, seeing as the most common complaint I've seen is that he doesn't get it back when hit out of it. I'll take that over going into helpless after using it any day.
I feel the biggest problem currently is his f-tilt. People fall out of it so often it's like I'm using Smash 4 Ganon's d-smash. Make it reliable and I'm satisfied. Second is his KO Punch. I've read that I'm supposed to be able to confirm into it, but sometimes I just can't. Is it character dependent, frame perfect or what?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That’s awesome!

I’ve been playing a lot of Quickplay Mac, and I’ve done good. I got Elite pretty quickly.
And yeah, once I’m aware of his limitations, I don’t mess up his recovery as bad.

I dislike how dtilt doesn’t connect to Up+b, but utilt does the trick, so I can’t complain.

I like that KO Punch is less janky now.

I’m warming up to Mac now. It’s one of the characters I enjoy playing the most.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Second is his KO Punch. I've read that I'm supposed to be able to confirm into it, but sometimes I just can't. Is it character dependent, frame perfect or what?
Character weight can affect dtilt to ko punch IIRC. I don't try to combo into KO punch unless I know i can, cause I've utilt spam to ko on heavies before.

I only use it for a read on rolling or jumps most of the time

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
untitled.png

holy **** did they actually fix f-tilt or am i dreaming

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
A lot more than I expected.

Jab changes are overall good and seemingly even give Mac a frame 1 kill confirm by connecting into Rising Uppercut from jab 2. Could be huge if true.

F-tilt 1 often not connecting to the second hit was the most clear-cut, unintended blemish on the character. Very glad that was fixed.

Range increase on d-tilt could make it safer for poking against some characters.

Reduced endlag for Straight Lunge is also appreciated, and for KO Punch especially, considering how often I whiff it. Same goes for Slip Counter.

I'm not entirely sure what the Jolt Haymaker change means. If you activate it early, is the hitbox bigger than before or what?

Top Bottom